Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Hullo you fashion girls--hair product query
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:04 pm

I just discovered the bliss that is known as the "ceramic flat iron". I never knew a frizzhead afro gurl like me could have a chic little swingy 'do. BUT, what do you put on for shine/heat protectant???
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:05 pm

Aluminum foil hats. Always.
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:07 pm

Those are totally passe, man.
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:08 pm

It stops the aliens. And the CIA. And gives my long, brown hair that lucious, kissable look.
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:13 pm

Even if your hair didn't look kissable I'd make out with it.
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:16 pm

i use this http://www.salon-collective.co.uk/styling_products.php?manufacturer=Da vines&product_id=2858

its not cheap but my hair looks fabulous afterwards
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:21 pm

Oooh. I have heard about Da vines. I am getting it. I wonder who sells it here? Saks maybe? The nicer Nordstroms?
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:23 pm

or in salons.
i get mine when i go for my haircut (and i travel to detroit for that every couple months - if they got it in detroit, they have to have it in pdx)
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:31 pm

there is this fantastic spray by rusk that smells great too that i use to flat iron my hair when i actually take the time to do it, which isn't often.

http://www.rusk1.com/products/str8/index.asp

i use the stuff in the orange can. it works wonders. it does this neat little steamy thing when you flatten it too. it's about 20 dollars at a salon. rusk stuff is killer. i pretty much use it exclusively.

i also highly recommend the bumble and bumble straight as well. it's about 30 for a tube of the stuff, but it's great and protects your hair too. it's just harder to find unless you go online.
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:44 pm

shower cap.
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:52 pm

The davines site doesn't have an internet salon locator, so I have to call their 800 # tomorrow. I have to get it before I go to South Carolina cos if my hair is a fro here, I hate to see it down there!

Bumble and Bumble is everywhere here--I love it, but I wanna try something new. I need to buy another of their curling creams though. I have tried every one of those and theirs, the MOP C-System and the new Paul Mitchell ones are all great.
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 11:57 pm

paul labrecque has some good products
he's in ny and has products online

http://paullabrecque.com/

when i lived in nyc full-time, he was my guy. his products are not cheap, but i like em

fiery - your hair is probably curlier than mine... mine's just big waves so i just blow it dry and its straight... i don't need an iron or anything... so what works for me may not be powerful enough to suppress a frizz fro... but i certainly do get the frizzies, and the da vine and the paul labrecque both have products that work
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 12:12 am

I use Bed Head Control Freak Serum. For me, I think it works better than anything I've ever used before, and I've tried everything. You can't even feel it once you're done straightening, and it protects for heat styling. And, it's not crazy expensive ($15? for 9oz.). You just use a tiny dab. Afterwards I use Paul Mitchell Spray Wax or Bed Head After Party to smooth even more. My hair is keeeeeeeeerazy this time of year in the humidity. Also, if you want to go curly, it's good as just a de-frizzer...

I used to use that Rusk STR8, too - that does smell good!! I forgot about it during a strictly curly phase...
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 12:51 am

I know Trade Secret has both Rusk and Bed Head and b/c I just gotta get something fast before we leave, maybe I will hit the mall tomorrow for either of those and then order the davines for later.

I have heard bad things about silicones being in a lot of the straightening/defrizzers and that they eventually build up bigtime on your hair and they are next-to-impossible to get out.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:01 am

that's why you've got to shave your head every 5 years or so!

you can always use plain old olive oil on your hair if you're worried about the chemical and silicone problem

put it in a spritzer bottle.
or also try kiehl's
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:10 am

I always liked the idea of Kiehl's more than the actual product--I used the creme with silk groom for EONS. Bumble and Bumble was better. Their Creme de Corps is killer though!

No more shaving my head--been there. After nearly a decade of doing that, I grew it out and IT WAS CURLY! It was never curly before I was 25, weird huh?
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:14 am

and if you have a baby, your hair will change again, just as it will when you're an old krone going through "the change."

i shaved my head back in punk rock days. it grew back exactly the same
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:31 am

It has been curly for 14 years now, not much has changed except it is now almost all white in the front half. I dyed it black til I was 30 so I had no clue it was even getting salt & pep. My dad's side of the fam all have great little ringlets so I am glad to have taken after them a bit at least half of my life.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 8:09 am

Take it from the man.

All I have ever used since I can remember is regular Head and Shoulders shampoo. But now they have new ones, they're like 10 different kinds and I use Citrus Breeze for fine/oily hair. When I need to make an impression I use Brylcreem... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brylcreem

That was a joke.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:11 pm

straightening/defrizzers and that they eventually build up bigtime on your hair

I haven't really had a problem with this stuff building up in my hair, but I get it cut every 4-6 weeks, since I dye it constantly to keep up with the gray... I've been gray since high school.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:16 pm

Posted: Jul 5, 2006 4:16 pm

I get my cut every 8 weeks at least, maybe more cos it grows super fast and the ends split. I am going to spend the day researching a method online because there ain't shit to do here per usual.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 5:48 pm

I don't flatiron my hair very often, but when I do, I use L'Oreal Hot Straight (it's in a pink bottle). It csts under $5, seems to do the job and smells ok. But I only straighten my hair about once a month, so I can't say about long-term issues one way or the other.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 5:51 pm | Edited by: luteinizer

fiery- check out makeupalley.com, there are product reviews on just about every product know to man/woman, top shelf to drug store. you can also do a board search and see what people recommend.

side note: be careful that site will make you spend a fortune on products and make-up if you are not careful! but it will also give you a good idea on what to steer clear of.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 5:57 pm

Oh lute--I am a MUA fanatic!!!!! Believe me, I have been on there searching for ideas for days now. Everyone has a different fave which results in the problem you mention, wasting a small fortune on product. I charged over $100 to my macy's card the other day on firming scrub, bronzer, Clarins face self-tanner and some highlighter shit. And that was getting out cheap. I have to say all products were good buys, however!
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 6:01 pm

I got a clarins eye cream spf 30 the other day, now I'll have to buy. Good stuff and will prevent eye wrinkles, score!

I wish I had read the board on Bad Gal eye liner, that stuff is tricky, you have to use a powder over it, or it will end up all over greasy and smudgy.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 6:20 pm

Posted: Jul 5, 2006 6:48 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

The Clarins face moisturizing face tanner has SPF 24 I think. It is good stuff. Yeah, it smells weird at first like all the self-tanner, but it actually looks more legit than the body one that is supposed to be so killer. I used that to have some color on my pale ass Portland skin for the beach and it looks sort of orange to me, not as bad as some, but definitely not as good as the real deal.

Oh and that BeneFit Dallas bronzer is GREAT on olive skin. It isn't fake-y looking at all.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 7:29 pm

I've been craving the Dallas bronser (i am afraid it will make me look too flushed in memphis summer time) and the coverups kit (but again it is summer and anything will just melt off). But I also want to get a clinique conditioner that I love, so that may be first, my hair has been on the dry frizzy side of life recently.

Check out what this thing says:

FHI Hot Sauce
Our new FHI Heat Hot Sauce is the latest achievement in FHI, Inc.'s dedication to developing the most innovative and highest quality professional hair products on the market. Most finishing hair products are silicone-based, which means they simply coat the outside of the hair to leave it feeling smoother. This is a temprary effect and will allow unwatned product residue to build up on the hair. FHI Heat Hot Sauce is moisture-based - when used in conjunction with FHI Heat irons it will actually penetrate into the core of the hiar to reconstruct and deeply condition the hair from the inside out!. FHI Heat Hot Sauce has heat-atived jojoba crystals that dissolve and deeply penetrate into the hair, thus dramatically improving the quality, condition and texture of the hair. This is not a temporary effect - with regular use of FHI Heat Hot Sauce, dry hair will be moisturized and damaged hair will be restored! Size 5oz. Bottle AND IT is on the $$$ side.

http://www.aveyou.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2022
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 7:36 pm

Hmmmm...that sounds good. I need something definitely to keep my hair moisturized when using that thing. I forgot to put curl cream in my hair yesterday and it is a complete 'fro today, plus it is shorter than before so it truly is defying some gravity!

The Dallas may be too much if you are already getting sun in Memphis. It helped me out cos my face has not gotten sun since over a year ago in Mexico. In combination with the glowiness of the Clarins (it gives you just a tad of color), it is perfect and very natural.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 11:32 pm

Oh I'm not a lady.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®