Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Washington DC
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 1:54 pm

I am going to Arlington VA for a seminar in late July. Does anyone have any tips for reasonably priced places to stay or things to do (besides museums)?
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:14 pm

the ethiopian food in adams morgan is gooooood,and you might run into blelvis-he doesnt dress like elvis and hes black,but he can sing any elvis song you can name.
the walter c. reed medical museum (in md?)is different from the others.i saw an exhibit of schitzophrenic artwork and a pair of shorts that were fished out of a sharks stomach.there was also a collection of wartime anti-v.d. posters blaming foreign women and cheating steadies back home.
also you could burn down the positive force house if there still is such a thing.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:14 pm

besides museums? monuments. monuments and shopping malls.

seriously. the nightlife fucking sucks there. also it will be as hot, if not hotter than memphis.

you might look into staying in old town alexandria if your thing is in arlington. there are some cool stores and stuff there.

there is also great asian food everywhere.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:20 pm

go to a nationals game if you can. it's cheap and fun.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:27 pm

hey hemant, what dates you gonna be out there? I'm actually going to be in maryland july 27-31 or thereabouts, you wanna go fishin on the chesapeake?
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:03 pm

Don't try to walk from the Lincoln memorial to Arlington, its a lot further than it looks. Use the metro. If you go to the Natural History building of the Smithsonian, I would suggest you know go with a racist person who will cause a seen about their white heritage not being addressed in the 'cave person' displays. Although, it is fun to almost get kicked out of the Smithsonian.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:05 pm

Yeah, unless you can walk around in an airconditioned space suit, I wouldn't suggest walking around much in DC in late July. Sorry, about all we have are museums, so if you don't like those, you can find a cool air conditioned bar to hang in Arlington or Alexandria.

If you do like museums, there's the Hirschorn, which is awesome, and the Old Patent Office just reopened. It houses two art museums inside. I'm going to go as soon as I get a spare weekend:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/29/AR2006 062900692.html

And I second everything Womb Raider says.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:12 pm

i know its probably pretty obvious but just search online for hotels. my girlfriends parents got a really good rate right downtown. hotel business has been ass for several years now so there might be a bunch of good deals.

a new record store just opened up. as in records, which makes no sense because it opened up where all the over priced furniture stores catering to gay men opened up, but god bless him anyhow
Som Records, 1843 14th Street

Crooked Beat on 18th street in adams morgan split in two. Som is the other half.

The night life does suck, unless you like getting up in the club, then, i'm told it is great.

the oddities museum is cool, but andrews airforce base is being shut down, so i'm not sure what will come of that.

there's outdoors stuff besides the mall, national arboretum is cool, haynes point, also if you have a car and feel like driving harpers ferry, wv is about 80 minutes away.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:18 pm | Edited by: zac

Bring me back a half smoke from ben's chili bowl. And a chilean from julia's empanadas.

Please?
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:26 pm

i spent a week in d.c. in the summer once. saw krush groove for $2 in an empty theater in georgetown. got stoned and nobody bothered me. also went record shopping at the store at the end of that main street in georgetown. spent a lot of time at a pub there getting drunk and eating. i stayed at the howard johnson's across from the watergate. it was great. there was a lounge and video games in the lobby. i think it ws asteroids and pac man. i went to all the museums and monuments. it was 120 degrees and humid. i bought a book about viet nam at the smithsonian and got dog tags made.

when i was a kid i went with my parents and went to the national zoo and saw the pandas and went to alexandria and washington's home and everything. it was pretty cool.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:31 pm

when you were a kid? was washington still living there?
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:50 pm

also went record shopping at the store at the end of that main street in georgetown.

SMASH. It's still there. Georgetown sucks, though.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:03 pm

i went to the International Spy Museum last time i was in DC and it was a lot of fun. they give you a spy persona when you enter and you have to memorize the details of your new identity and then act like that person.

really cool exhibits there. all kinds of stuff on German Enigma crypto machines (those things were insane!) and all kinds of awesome spy-ass concealed weapons and all that. probably my favorite museum in DC of the ones i went to.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:05 pm

The Spy Museum is 15 bucks, so maybe try and find a coupon. Or leap the turnstiles.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:09 pm

or sneak in through the ductwork on the roof or the sewers. get your intrigue and espionage on.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:50 pm

thanks for all the tips. I am going to be there the July 23-28. The recommended hotel is $180 a night, so I need to find something a little more ... motel 6. Maybe I'll priceline and see what I can get.

The spy museum and the old patent office seem really cool. I'll try to check those out. I'll be in a class from 9 to 5 everyday, so hopefully they are open in the evenings.

Martel, I would love to go fishing, but I am leaving friday afternoon right after the seminar to go to philly for the weekend.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:37 pm

They open at 11:30 (!!) and close at 7.

http://www.npg.si.edu/inform/visitor.htm
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 6:24 pm

georgetown
lost times for me in this section of town..but that was way back when
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 8:43 pm

I thought the Spy Museum was for shit, especially for $15. The only cool things were the lipstick gun and the dogshit radio transmitter. They blew too much money on virtual/interactive/microwave-oven-generation horsecock that's a complete fucking waste of time.

Nothing's very cheap but you can find some cheaper drinks in Adam's Morgan. There are a few ersatz "waterin' holes" (i.e., prefab-trashy places that are trendster/Georgetown/jagoff-friendly and pass for "dives"), like Millie & Al's, Dan's Cafe: there's usually no-one cool there but at least you can get cheap drinks. One place that plays cool music and has reasonably cool people is the Big Hunt, 1345 Connecticut Avenue NW. But my favorite bar in D.C. is the Common Share, on the corner of 18th and U St.: $2 pints and well drinks -- those are New Orleans prices, muvfucker! Another favorite was Harry's Saloon in downtown: full of tourists but it's a fun-ass place in a killjoy town.

For some reason, D.C. has some great beer resources: the Brickskeller, 1523 22nd Street NW, is in the Guiness Book of World Records for being the bar with the most bottled beers; and RFD, 810 Seventh Street NW, has a mind-blowing number of beers on tap, including loads of Belgian. Of course, neither of these places are cheap.

Brace yourself if you're from the Midwest: the combination of government stiffs, military assholes and serious racial tension makes for a pretty uptight place and folks tend to be awfully fuckin' rude, even moreso than the shit-asses who inhabit New York City.
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 4:35 pm

hey hemant,if you havent left yet,call me.251-1910.my cousins up there.he could send you some places.hes taking law classes,too.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 5:03 am

Look, Chris and I live in this shithole "city" called DC. It pretty much sucks the balls. Brickskeller is good for beer choices, but totally fuking sucks for food, and its expensive! there are good happy hours, though, which is where i think you get the best values. CHEAP drinks and beers, and often times half priced appetizers. I only go to Black Cat because we basically drink for free there. and it's right down the block from my house. SO, really, why bother to go anywhere else? All this shit is basically the same here. However, I have been to big hunt, and thought that was decent. I would go again. we are going to have to check out that Common Share place cause that sounds decent.

Smash is almost officially done. The records store that whoever just mentioned was talking about--- the one on 14th street---its not "officially" open, but its open. (If we are thinking of the same place) Al (used to work at Smash), currently works there too. So you know it will (and does cuz ive been down there already) have a decent selection of old and new shit. Also, it is right near the Black Cat and St Ex, which has a real delicious burger and great beers.

Ethiopian is fantastic on U street----Dukem (corner of U and 12th), is my/ our choice for the best in this area...and there are quite a fucking few right where we live.

We just went to the national archives and the zoo---both free, and both fun. If you go to the zoo, and like Indian food, go to Indique, which is right near the zoo---a couple blocks up, i think. its pricey, though. If you dig Viet, there is a great Viet place right near there, on the same side as the zoo, but further down from Indique. Otherwise, just be really happy you dont live in DC.

We go to Black Cat every wednesday so see Al and drink at an extremely generous discount. If you are here this wednesday, come down! email me off list if you want to meet up with us:
ijuvenile74@yahoo.com

oh yes, Ben's Chili bowl is the best fucking place down here!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 5:06 am

Sorry for the double post, but i just read your hotel thing...DEFINATELY priceline! When we first came down to visit, we ended up staying at the arlington Key Bridge hotel, or something like that...right on the bridge. Maybe a Hilton, or Hyatt, or who knows. It was great, big, clean, nice, and superfuckingconveniant! Go Priceline!
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 6:16 am

Posted: Jul 24, 2006 2:40 pm

I think the Waffle Show closed/is closing.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 4:11 pm

hey shopfront, do you know chad and max from the black cat?
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 6:18 pm

I am closest with Al, but know Patrick and this other friday night bartender, Chuck. I don't know Chad and Max. Are they bartenders?
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 8:30 pm

Chad tends bar, I'm not sure what nights though. Max, if he still works there, does security/door/barbacking stuff. Both good friends of mine, we all grew up together.
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 1:31 am | Edited by: hemant

Thanks for the tips!
My class is at the Hyatt Arlington Key Bridge, and I am in the best western hotel next to it. Glad to hear that it is a good location. I haven't had a chance to really explore yet. Unfortunately, I'm in class all day from 9 to 5 and then have homework. I had to pay for the class myself, so I can't blow it off.

Yesterday I walked to Georgetown, and it was exactly like everyone warned. Maybe tomorrow I can check out the bars and restaurant on U St.

Hopefully I'll be able to meet y'all to check out the black cat on wednesday. I'll e-mail you if it looks possible
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 2:13 am

How many of you are in the area? The Thing With Two Heads is DJing there the day after Thanksgiving and would love to boogaloo with you. We'll be battling two Baltimore DJ's, Bump and Amanda, at a place called Palace Of Wonders.

http://www.palaceofwonders.com
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:23 pm

Herro? Jamie and Gay Chris, you gonna be around?
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:38 pm

Y'all are Dj'ing at that Palace of Wonders bar? Y'all have the perfect name for it. I live in DC but I will not be there. Bummer. I would totally go to this, too. DAMN!
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:38 pm

Here's an article about the bar.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/06/AR2006 070601695.html

I'll catch ya next time, Bazooka Joe!
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:40 pm

I thought you lived in LA?
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:43 pm

No dude. Why did you think that? I've never been to LA.
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:45 pm

Proabably cuz you're a fag.
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:46 pm

I'm sure you know this BJ, but go to Ben's Chili Bowl, ok?
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:47 pm

I wish I had time. I'll only be there for the party!
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:51 pm

That didn't work so well. Anyway, Google says they are 2.5 miles from each other. So get in a taxi, it should be only one zone, and get some eats.
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 7:00 pm

at the oddities bar? All of a sudden there sprang up 5 bars on H Street NE. it is one of the most bizarre developments in a while cause there is no metro stop over there. friends that live over there say the places are usually pretty crowded though. there is the oddities bar, red & black, rock n roll hotel, the argonaut, or something like that, and some other place.

one of them, rock and roll hotel, i think, (which is having LA GUNS play on 11/15. that's right, you can see king khan & bbq on 11/12, GnR in baltimore on 11/13, demolition doll rods & bad wizard on 11/14 and la guns on 11/15) had marky ramone dj there. i thought he was dead.

i'll probably be in WV with my girl but if not reup this thread in a few months to remind.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 2:22 am

Hey, been to that bar once on a sunday afternoon for drinks--its actually pretty cool looking, but thats about it. I dont really know much, but that area seems to be turning into the new U street for hipness. We will actually be out of town that day---Thanksgiving holiday duties. have fun!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 2:50 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

I know Hemant's visit done come & gone, but does the FBI still do their little tour? I liked that...it was my intro to fascination with Forensic Files, The First 48 and all other Discovery, Court TV and A&E programming that started in the mid 90's.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 3:27 am

If you come anywhere near my house, watch your ass. I've got the best trained snipers in Amurica on the roof ...and they shoot to kill. Heh heh.
That's how we do it dawn in Texas, folks.
If you go near the capitol complex and you're a 16-year-old boy, just watch your ass.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 3:28 am

Well I got a sixteene, but she's a she.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 6:39 pm

Hey this thread is super...I'm going to D.C. for this first time ever November 3. I get to go on a private tour of the Library of Congress!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 6:55 pm

All of a sudden there sprang up 5 bars on H Street NE

yeah, what's going on up there? is anacostia gonna be the next hotspot? is PG county getting gentrified yet?
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:19 pm

I'm going to D.C. for this first time ever November 3. I get to go on a private tour of the Library of Congress!

Watch out for Foleying pages. Heh heh.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®