Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Name the bands in your hometown you're most proud of...
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 12:53 am

Like they made a great record, or whatever mystique surrounds them, even if they were bad...it can go back as far as time or be recent...please include your hometown of course...I'll start- Columbus Ohio: The Gibson Brothers and the Four Mints. We all know the Gibson Brothers but I was just listening to the "Keepers" EP on Okra. Great. Four Mints were sweet soul on legendary Columbus soul label Capsoul. (Check out Numero Uno's release of Capsoul on their eccentric soul series.) There you go...
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 1:37 am

dead moon, poison idea, the wipers.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 1:41 am

Dow Jones and the Industrials! The Mans, Chris Grosso.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 1:50 am

memphis jug band
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 1:55 am

Seeing how I was born in The Rock (but never resided there) and someone so smartly said that there is very "little rock" there .....umm, Trusty?

Joe Danger wins again.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:00 am

Bum-notes
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:08 am

Better than Ezra, Papa Grows Funk, Bonerama
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:15 am

Too Short, E-40, Gris-Gris
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:44 am

Hometown now: Circle Jerks, Germs, Black Flag, Lamps

Hometown growing up: Drunks with Guns, Chuck Berry
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:18 am

err...nine pound hammer. SSION (fagcore). i think that's about it.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:25 am

THE LATEST FLAMES (Las vegas) !!!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:57 am

black lips, bitches!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:12 am

fireworks or the mullens
now: the strange boys
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:14 am

Thee Insects, The Cheap Thrills.

Two dif. towns, though.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:26 am

Wailers
Sonics
Tiny Tony
Girl Trouble
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:59 am

hometown i grew up in- merle fankhouser, original writer of wipeout.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:49 am

Red Krayola
Jandek
Lightnin Hopkins
Geto Boys
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:07 am

Cheap Trick, Buddy Guy

And my friends bands and friends of friends bands, who eventually will all be huge stars of course: Headache City, the Latest, Cococoma, Camero Rouge, the Ponys, Ms, Galactic Inmate, Penthouse Sweets, Miss Alex White, Hot Machines, Baseball Furies, Functional Blackouts, Moto, Tyrades, Vee Dee.... need I go on? CHICAGO ROCKS!

I refuse to recognize: Smashing Pumpkins, Chicago (UGH!!)
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:27 am

i was thinking about this some more and i'm putting harlan t bobo on my list too.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:51 am

"Dow Jones and the Industrials"

Indeterminism, nothing you can about it...
OH O O!

Man that 7" smokes! Also hot from Bloomington is The Coke Dares. They were fantastic when we saw them open for The Gizmos (2nd lineup) @ The Beat Kitchen in Chicago, Jan. '05.

& Bravo to The Latest Flames. Does anyone know how to get a hold of Darran/Behemoth Records or his bro, Dirk Vermin? I've sent stuff to Behemoth's Yahoo mail & sent stuff to the Behemoth PO Box, but I've not got any answer.

But back to the question at hand...

Cheater Slicks, New Bomb Turks, Scrawl, Guant, The Pillowbiters, Sons of Solomon, The Feelers, The Gibson Brothers, Bob City, probably many others that currently escape my beer soaked memory.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 8:09 am

Well, fuck all y'all. I aint gonna apologize for brokeass TorONtoe. Slim pickin's it is...whatever...off the top of my skull, shit that holds it's own with the Detroit/Memphis/NOLA axis - Jackie Shane, Jackie Mitoo, Screamin' Sam.

Alisa can probably add a real cool psych/folk act to the list.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 9:27 am

Toronto? As in OH Can o' Duh? How 'bout Simply Saucer or Bent Wind or even In The Red riot mongers, The Deadly Snakes?
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 9:40 am

Les Paul!!!! I win!!!!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 10:40 am

east side hair bands- all of them
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 10:48 am | Edited by: Theresa K

hometown/birthplace: Byrds, Beach Boys, Alley Cats, Gun Club, X, The Last, Dream Syndicate
I refuse to recognize The Doors

hometown for 18 adult years: Dictators, Ramones, Dolls, Television, Velvet Underground
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 11:03 am

The Guilloteens, The Breakers,Moloch
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 11:06 am

(bobby.... ann mclean says HI)
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:06 pm

Modey Lemon, Zombi
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:16 pm

god bullies
the spits
jah kings
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:24 pm

hometown: Didjits
home the last 20 years: Big Boys, Dicks, Offenders, Poison 13, Motards, Crying Out Louds, Agony Column, 13 Floor Elevators
jackpenetrater
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:51 pm

Various Bands that Included Mark Doyle & Joe Whiting--Best known for the 2 albums they Recorded for RCA..as.."Jukin' Bone".Those being "Whiskey Woman" & "Way Down East".www.MarkDoyle.com...& www.JoeWhiting Music.com.......One of the Greatest tandems ever!!!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 2:59 pm

Plasticland
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:16 pm

spits
throbbin urges, soon to be from here
DUTCH HERCULES ONE MAN BAND
the clams
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:23 pm

Where I come from: Prams, Subliminal Cuts, Richard and the Taxmen. Where I live: Jerks, Delta 5, Gang of Four, Au Pairs, Scritti Politti and hundreds of terrible goth bands (that I'm not proud of). Guy is gonna have a good list if he answers to this!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:28 pm

I recently found out that T.C. Atlantic hails from a town that borders on my hometown. I was brimming with pride for a good day or two. As far as Mnpls...(past and present) Calico Wall,Rifle Sport, Midnight Evils, The Creepers, Soviettes, etc. I refuse to recognize Lipps Inc.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:54 pm

Hometown now: Tyrades, The Squad

Hometown growing up: Big Boys, Poison 13, Jack O'Fire, Lord High Fixers, Total Sound Direct Action Committee, Motards, Glorium, Hickoids, High Noon and various other Shaun Young projects, Attack Formation, Scratch Acid, The Dicks, Swine King, Fuck Emo's, ST-37, Inhalants, 13th Flr. Elevators
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:57 pm

John Cafferty and The Beaver Brown Band
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 3:59 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I will only go from 80's white bands and definitely keep "bad bands/great mystique" as a criterion for at least one:

Grifters, Oblivians, Vegas Thunder, Alex Chilton 80's act, Panther Burns, 4 Neat Guys
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:03 pm

And I meant, "80's ON" so no "Most of those bands weren't in the 80's LOSER!" remarks, thankyouverymuch.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:38 pm

Hometown: Mystery Girls, Holy Shit! (basically), Infanticide (local weird-o long-hair that went to high-school w/ Tabman. Played...no, SHREDDED metal-style along with a boombox of drumbeats...a real folk hero among Green Bay'ers my age.), Thee Jaguar (King of the Trashe Blooz...been doing his own thing for years and years now. Playing the harp, stamping on sheet metal for percussion...). Maybe he's from Appleton, though...northeast WI kinda all runs together.

Where I live now: SHIVVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They all still live in town and play music together, apparently. A reunion has GOTTA happen, somehow...
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 4:45 pm

atl!: black lips, deerhunter, selmanaires, a fir-ju well, anna kramer
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:05 pm

Toronto? As in OH Can o' Duh? How 'bout Simply Saucer or Bent Wind or even In The Red riot mongers, The Deadly Snakes?

Bent Wind? yes, thank-you, I'm feelin' prouder. Simply Saucer were from Hamilton or would be at the top of whatever list. Deadly Snakes? nah, never moved me much, but that got me to thinking...I think I first saw them as an opener for George Reinecke's "Busted Flush" - add them to the list. George may have been from New Orleans, but then neither Jackie Shane nor Jackie Mittoo were natives anyway and I already nominated them.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:11 pm

The only band from the town I grew up in is Chevelle.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Jackie Mittoo, the reggae guitarist?
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:24 pm | Edited by: some guy in chicago

I guess I should add Sun Ra, since he's from the South Side of Chicago, and got his start playing in the house bands at the strip clubs over in Hammond Indiana and Calumet.

That is, if you don't buy his "I'm from Saturn" schtick.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:33 pm

wasn't Jackie Mittoo a keyboardist?
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:34 pm

i do think he was on tha keys...
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:35 pm

wasn't Jackie Mittoo a keyboardist?

Yeah, I was thinking of Lynn Tait mabe? Either way, same guy?
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:38 pm

keyboards, but yeah, same guy. Big Jamaican community in Toronto (same as Brooklyn?) A couple of years ago, I was in one of the older shops looking for records and got to talking with the proprietor about Mittoo's years in Toronto, and his buddy looks up and goes "yeah mon, they all come up here to die...even Bob Marley...played Toronto...died"
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:40 pm

What, no one's gonna call me on leaving out The Leather Uppers?

Craig Daniels - King of The West End!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:42 pm

Lyn Tait wasn't even the guy I was thinking of, it was Ernest Ranglin. No idea why I mixed up the names other than being a dumbfuck.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:50 pm

Jackie Shane
The 45 is awesome, but I've been looking for a copy of that LP most of my life.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 5:59 pm

Hometown... well, not much going on. It would be easy to say Monomen/Estrus, that scene, but I always hated it (Monomen anyway) and was interested in stuff my friends were doing instead. A lot I can't remember off the top of my head. I was talking to another "native" a while ago about some of the old street bands & punk rock that got us through high school. Maybe more like folks I'm most fond of. The guys from Saucer, Noggin, drummer for Dune Buggy, Grien Cow, Outside, bunch of other shit.

Where I live now: It's a hotbed over here. Paul Revere & Raiders, Dead Moon, Poison Idea, Mini Max (old Portland white boy r&b late 60's-early 70's), Kingsmen, History of NW Rock comp. bands from around here. The Hunches, Observers, Sk & Punk Ass Bitches & Muddy River Nightmare Band/the collective stuff those guys did previously leading up to where they are now, The Silverkings, High & Mighty, Goddamn Gents, Exploding Hearts, Phantom Lights, Triggers, Weaklings, Fliptops, Riffs, Minds a ton more shit I can't remember right now. Especially proud of how the place is looking as of right now, it's been really good so far this year. Rectangles, Reptilian Civilian, Eegos, Nice Boys, Pure Country Gold, The Ones, Howie & Hot Knives, OSda Pop Kids, there's other shit going on that's good as well (my shit), etc.

I'm horribly ashamed of: Dandy Wharhols (somebody mow these fucks down with an uzi before anybody else gets AIDS), Everclear, the shit stain these groups left all over our fair city, I'm not a fan of anything related to college emocore pop at all and there's a fucking metric ton of it here.

I refuse to acknowledge Quarter Flash.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:00 pm

I refuse to acknowledge Quarter Flash.

You just did.

FACE! You feel munchy...
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:02 pm

i think Quarter Flash was technically from Beaverton anyway
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:18 pm

fiery, i,ve been practicing for a 4 neat guys reunion show, which will be july 29 at the poplar lounge with the clits, i was meaning to post that show at some point today
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:20 pm

Better than Ezra, Papa Grows Funk, Bonerama

I know that this was posted in sarcasm....but it raises an interesting point

Two of these bands compromise some of the nicest people I've ever met....the played where I worked (dba NOLA), were nice and polite to me and the other employees and even regularly tipped on the free drinks they got while playing, even though it wasn't expected....

On the other hand, there are many "cooler" bands I met through work at say, SXSW, that are such complete douchebags that.....well you get my drift.....

so in that sense, all the bands that I've worked with over the last 20 years, regardless of street cred, press or hipsterdom that have been decent human beings I am proud of you.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:32 pm

Bruce--who are you?

Is Geoff doing the "lead singer" thing? I still have a live tape of the 4 Neat Guys from 85.

He hate me (first boyfren).
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:39 pm

yep, geoff singing, mike(ebin sp?)marsh and randy on gtr, mick playing bass and me on drums sitting in for ross once again, though he was one in a long line of drummers. if you've got 68 comeback mr downchild i'm in the photo's, which was actually when i lived in pdx
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:45 pm

That is awesome. Someone get that crazy shit on tape. Is Eben living in Memphis? Tell him Kristin says hello; don't tell Geoff that cos he'll just growl anyway! Hopefully he would be over it, but you never know! Have fun.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:46 pm

You just did.

FACE! You feel munchy...

And I'm proud of you, Bazooka Joe.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:47 pm

geoff and eben are crazy about taping i'm sure there will be a video
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:49 pm

pittsburgh is most known for a buncha idiots called anti-flag.

we also have modey lemon, midnite snake, rot shit, caustic christ, and we had the swamp rats way back when.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:49 pm

What songs are being done? Geoff actually wrote a few good original songs, though I recall at the time Randy made fun of them. God, actually thinking back on this era makes me sick!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:55 pm

at this point i think it will be all covers, geoff and randy making fun of ech others songs makes it too hard to attempt doing them. psyc furs, joy div. gun club, mod lovers, up around 11 songs after 3 practices
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:56 pm

geoff and randy making fun of ech others songs makes it too hard to attempt doing them

Ah, great to hear no one has really grown up after 20 fucking years! The covers are good ones though--choice. I always liked "The Singer Not the Song".
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 6:57 pm

got to get to work lose connection at 1:00
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:13 pm | Edited by: banned

My hometown, Rhinelander only ever had one band that I know of, and they were also called Rhinelander. I used to have a split 7" with them and Lack of Social Decency, who were also from the northwoods of Wisconsin. It was released in the late 80's and the best thing about the record, from what I remember was their use of the Rhinelander beer logo on the record cover.

I'd have to agree with Brad on the bands I'm most proud of all being my own. Hatefuck, Desperate Living and most importantly Pink Reason.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:14 pm

Jackie Mittoo played organ. He made more money playing at the Toronto Airport lobby then as a session guy at Studio One.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:23 pm

Toronto? As in OH Can o' Duh? How 'bout Simply Saucer

That's cheating.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:28 pm | Edited by: The Driver

That's cheating.

Definitely. Toronto kinda opened it's doors to Teenage Head, but Simply Saucer were no ways welcome. Hell, they had a hard enough time in The Hammer.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:32 pm | Edited by: razor shines

The Spaceshits, BBQ, The Nils, The Irritations, King Khan & BBQ Show (sort of cheating), Deja Voodoo.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:34 pm

Jackie Mittoo played organ. He made more money playing at the Toronto Airport lobby then as a session guy at Studio One.

Yah I figgered it out like thanks man. way to make me feel stupid again.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:34 pm

Can't believe none of the Toronto dudes mentioned Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:40 pm

Tricky Woo would have made my list too had they not undid their greatness with the fucking terrible records they've been putting out the last five years.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:41 pm

guilty pleasures...the most awesome band that really never went anywhere
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:43 pm

thee hibachi stranglers
the minions
hotcakes
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:46 pm | Edited by: The Driver

Can't believe none of the Toronto dudes mentioned Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet.

Brian Connelly's still around and one of the sweetest guys you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting...still rockin' with a new version of Atomic 7, and a side project called Ancient Chinese Secret (playing tonight!)
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 7:57 pm

bruce, post info on that show! the clits? really?

growing up: Fucking Flying A-Heads, Squids, Scarred For Life

now: poli sci clone, ross & jeff, oscars, compulsive gamblers mk I, maybe kazalok! viva l'underdog!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 8:00 pm

RUSTED ROOT
DONNY IRIS
DON CAB
...ahhhh forget our shitty music, just come to Pittsburgh for the sandwiches.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 8:01 pm

marshall tucker band
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 8:18 pm

Willie Dixon (born and raised, anyway)
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 8:32 pm

R Kelly
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 8:33 pm

I'd have to agree with Brad on the bands I'm most proud of all being my own. Hatefuck, Desperate Living and most importantly Pink Reason.

If there was one WI band that broke up recently(ish) that I wish would get back together, it'd be Desperate Living!
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 9:34 pm

Chocolate Watchband, Count Five, Syndicate of Sound.

San Jose was rockin' in '66.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 9:45 pm

What's funny is that during our (Desperate Living) short lifespan I CONSTANTLY heard from people "please, you guys, I know you all hate each other, but just don't break up." Seriously.

Oh well. We sure showed them!

You wanna know what's funny too? There is no record of our band. Brock taped over one of our tapes, and during our last show, our best show ever, the one that got me laid because we were so fuckin' great, well, we tried recording it but someone in the audience pushed stop on the cassette deck about ten seconds into our first song.

If I ever find out who did that, they're totally fucked.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 9:47 pm

i almost forgot jimmy buffet.
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 11:07 pm

harlan t.
ntj
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 12:15 am

Actually,make sure to keep forgetting Jimmy Buffet. Besides that,there's actaully a couple of bands from the Miss. Coast actually worth mentioning here. I don't mean Third Eye Blind or Guffria (sp?) either,though those are ones people have heard of (Giuffria had a minor hair-metal power ballad hit in the late 80s i believe) .

The Fugitives- Pascagoula 60s Garage teens whose song "No Tease" not only made it to a Crypt comp but also gave the comp it's name (part of the Teenage Shutdown series). There's a detailed story about 'em in the liner notes,and their band photo is on the cover!

Flower Power- this reeeally originally named 60s Gulfport band wound up on the Beyond The Calico Wall comp back in the early 90s,and got compared to "LA Blues" (!) in reviews of that comp. They're also listed in that Fuzz and Flowers,etc online 60s band thing (is there still a link to that on this website,BTW?).

As for my current place of residence: Big Daddy Meat Straw and Goons Of Destruction.
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 12:15 am

eric o grew up in hawaii??? wow!!!
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 6:10 am

waukesha, wi:
(you guys will love this)

THE GONERS!!

(gorki! jon! josh! their logo was a bear head)
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 6:47 am

Isley Brothers...
I don't know. Everything from Cincinnati is crap.

There was one later Cluster album that was recorded at an art gallery there...
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 6:55 am

Realicide are from Cincinnati and are great. I got an interview with them that's coming out this month in a zine a friend and I are doing called Deaf Culture. They do good interviews. Interesting people.
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 7:49 am

Anti-Flag, The Clarks, Juliana Theory, Rot Shit
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 2:31 pm

Eddie Murphy used to live a couple towns over from me. We would party all the time.
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 2:52 pm

You're his girl?
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 3:44 pm

You're his girl?

Nice.
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 4:10 pm

I ain't proud of anything I haven't done myself (I ain't proud of too much thngs I have done myself neither).
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 4:23 pm

Adios Gringo....probably the only Memphis rock band playing now that the core members(Bert, Todd and Paul) have been playing together consistently for twenty years. Cryonics turned into Private War in 86/87 and they have been playing non-stop(Taintskins after Private War) since then. Beside the dedicaton factor, they are the most original and kick ass of all Metal bands playing today IMO. Pity they dont get the exposure they deserve.
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 4:23 pm

No I changed my mind : I'm proud of The Kids (and I am proud of my two kids).
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 6:01 pm

members of the gun club, the cramps and toys that kill were from my hometown
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 6:10 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Pity they dont get the exposure they deserve.

I second this, but I question whether Adios Gringo ever really wanted it, anyway. I don't think they ever gave a fuck, even back in '87 (which is awesome). But, easily one of my hometown fav's (in my top 3). Also Like Filthy Diablo (especially w/Cooley) a lot. You'd think with the culmination of the two, I'd be a big fan of Joint Chiefs (and I think they're o.k.), but that band can't touch AG of FD.
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 11:03 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

None.
...except maybe mine.
We were pretty bad-ass for a while I think.
"The Killers" are from here. I'm envious of their business acumin.

Mitch, are you, by any chance, from San Pedro?
If so, why do people pronounce it "peedro" and why do people think "Toys that Kill" are so good?
Posted: Jul 1, 2006 11:29 pm

the Angry Angles.
Posted: Jul 2, 2006 12:31 am

BARRY BOB AND THE BYOKOSIES!!!!!
they scaird the shit out of panther burns and milfred and the modifiers
even rebel and angrohead hell they stoped the olympics in ratlanta
any update on this freak???
no he is not under the mask with TSOT NOT YET
Posted: Jul 2, 2006 12:34 am

SECOND PLACE WOULD HAVE TO BE AUNT JULIE AND THE BUTTFLAPS
early barrister nights
Posted: Jul 2, 2006 4:29 am

jackson mississippi of course would be The Comas, The Eunuchs, and David Banner
Posted: Jul 2, 2006 5:18 pm

My hometown (Malden, MA) is also where most of the members of Slapshot were from (don't know about later lineups, but the original lineup were mostly from Malden). Members were in a really great dumb punk band called Terminally Ill.

Boston in general has had lots of great bands, and lots of crap bands.
Posted: Jul 2, 2006 9:07 pm | Edited by: dirk diggler

the actual town i'm from only produced one band other than me that ever made records-the student teachers. the bloodless pharoahs were from the next town over on one side (well half of the band. the setzers were from l.i.) and andy from the little killers who isn't talking to me anymore because of the lametrain incident grew up in the next town on the other side but he was forty and didn't live there anymore until he ever made a record i think.
Posted: Jul 2, 2006 9:33 pm

the student teachers

oh my god! bill arning!!! lori reese!!!
Posted: Jul 2, 2006 9:38 pm

Nobodys Favorite
Metal Teeth
X Offender
Throbbin Urges
Burning Hatreds
Fortune & Maltese
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 5:10 am

the bee gees, the saints, the leftovers, the fun things, big bongin' baby
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 3:06 pm

None.
...except maybe mine.

You got shout-outed 2 X already.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 3:25 pm

Right now in Austin there is alot going on, but the ones I'd list in the top are Sons of Hercules, even though Frank and Dale live in San Antonio, and the Ugly Beats. Others are Eastside Suicides, the Ends, Deadites, Jungle Rockers, and there are many more going on now that are fun like the Apeshits, Manikin, Hotrails, and you could say the Riverboat Gamblers are from Austin now I think. Mike lives here, even though some might say they are from Denton. There was alot of stuff that I missed in the 90s like the Inhalants, Cryin Out Louds, Motards, Chumps, Reclusives, ext and before that Big Boys, Dicks, and the Skunks.. and Austin is the home of Rocky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators...
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 4:46 pm

why do people think "Toys that Kill" are so good?

i certainly dont think they're earthshattering, but theyre ok at best.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 4:54 pm

San Pedro?
If so, why do people pronounce it "peedro"

i'm not from san pedro, but i am from LA
not very many people here pronounce it "pay dro" even though that's the proper spanish pronounciation
its just the way it is

same w/ paso robles
they say "robulls" instead of "ro bless"

its, you know, like, cali-speak dude.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 4:56 pm

What's up with all the hip white cocksuckers that insist they live in Los FEE-liz. It's Los Feh-LEEZ.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 8:46 pm

Kill the Hippies
DEVO
Sockeye
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 9:24 pm

Kill the Hippies
DEVO
Sockeye

No Bizarros?
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 10:09 pm

Damn B. Joe! Thanks. I didn't read the whole thread before I posted the other day. I'm flattered, though "big fish in a small pond" comes to mind. I think now the pond is a dry lake bed.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 10:13 pm

Feelies Peedro.
That's gonna be my pen-name when I write my novel about growing up in east L.A.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 10:20 pm

Madonna
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 10:55 pm

Bum-notes

Was this a joke, ed oblivian? Are you talking about the Memphis Bum-notes with the Adcocks and John Eatman?
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 11:06 pm

What's up with all the hip white cocksuckers that insist they live in Los FEE-liz.

You Mean Scottie Diablo?
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 11:07 pm

I grew up in Nellyville, niggers! That's right, I'm representin' STL, bitches!
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 2:48 am

Who else would I be talkin' about!? Wally and Bob were my outsider RnR heroes.
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 2:56 am

Rick James, The Jumpers, The Enemies, and the Baseball Furies and Tyrades, who are all originally from BUFFALO, NY.
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 6:59 pm

What's up with all the hip white cocksuckers that insist they live in Los FEE-liz.

You Mean Scottie Diablo?

hahahahahahahahahaha, funny....you're cool with me when you see me, then bash me on a message board? lame. period.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 12:12 am

Birthplace: Sir Douglas Quintet, Sunny and the Sunglows, The Outcasts, Don Santiago Jimenez, Flaco Jimenez, The Rejects, Butthole Surfers, Mystery Dates, Marching Plague, Raging Woodies, X-Men, Fearless Iranians From Hell, Hickoids, Sons of Hercules, Mechanical Walking Robotboy.

Current living place: Louis Armstrong, Fats Domino, Ernie K-Doe, Earl King, Lee Dorsey, James Booker, Professor Longhair, Dr. John, The Meters, Aaron Neville, The Normals, Men In Black, Mike and The Mechanics, The Sluts, Shell Shock, Black Problem, Nut, Royal Pendletons, King Louie and His One-Man Band, Kajun SS.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 1:33 am

Who else would I be talkin' about!? Wally and Bob were my outsider RnR heroes.

Wow. Those guys are my bestest friends. Here ya go...I took a lot of pics of Bob yesterday. Jack and Amy are in town from Norfolk.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisa_in_memphis/sets/72157594186560084/
(click on a pic and it'll get larger.)
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 4:27 am

Ah, the old "mic hanging from the ceiling fan" trick!
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 12:09 am

"Third Eye Blind"

Oops... i meant Three Doors Down. I probably shouldn't correct this as this will mean i recognize their existence but that's not the same as being proud of them. Whatevs.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 12:22 am

hahahahahahahahahaha, funny....you're cool with me when you see me, then bash me on a message board? lame. period.

I'm cool to everyone in person cause I don't want to get my ass kicked. I like the way you can hide behind the board. I'll let you smash a bottle on my head for "bashing" you if that would make you feel any better. Besides don't you live in ECHO PARK?
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 12:32 am

Oops... i meant Three Doors Down.
a couple of those douches....i mean dudes live in mobile,now.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 12:35 am

The only band from my birthplace area are the Ripley Cotton Choppers. They might have been the first band on Sun, but I know they were an early one.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 1:52 am

Man that Ripley Cotton Choppers is rare as all get-out! Never see that thing and it was reportedly in jukeboxes all over Ripley back in the day. Some dealer put an ad in the local paper a few years back offering $1000 to anyone who could produce a copy. And he was gonna resell it for double or better!
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 1:59 am

Sleepy John Estes was born in Ripley, TN., He moved to Brownsville when he was young...I'm pretty sure that there is some sort of Gus Cannon/ Ripley connection too.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 2:04 am

The AMAZING Noah Lewis, of Cannon's Jug Stompers was born outside of Ripley in Henning TN. Cannon's Jug Stompers recorded Ripley Blues in 1928.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 2:58 am

I lived in Echo Park...laveta terrace batches. Nothin wrong wit echo park...
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 4:29 am

Memphis ...

Phineas and Calvin Newborn, two jazz greats who don't get their due.
Big Ass Truck (appeared in the first-ever MTV2 montage).
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 7:16 am

Contemporary:
The Lamps
The Guilty Hearts
The Starvations aka/ Fortunes Flesh

For all time:
The Germs
Gun Club
X
Redd Kross
Sparks
Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band
Kim Fowley (he's not a band, but whatever...)
Electric Prunes
The Seeds
The Screamers
The Weirdos
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 7:21 am

Didn't know Sleepy John Estes was born there. I knew he was from Brownsville. Tina Turner was born about 10 minutes from where I grew up. NUT BUSH CITY LIMITS!
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 7:29 am

Sam The Sham and the Pharaohs
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 8:57 am

"Can't believe none of the Toronto dudes mentioned Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet."

Man, I should have mentioned them. I loved those guys. I actually went to see them open for The Fleshtones in 1992. Shadowy Men were awesome, but The 'Shtones were absolutely breath taking. It was a night I will never forget, expect when listing bands from another town obviously.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 9:08 am

Hey St. Louis kids... Don't forget the mighty Shame Club
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 2:12 pm

or the almighty Screaming Mee Mees...
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 5:36 pm

Larry Hagman
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 6:10 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

I forgot about the screaming mee mees...Bruce is great. Is he dead yet?
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 8:12 pm

Fuck if I know. I just know if I was from St. Louie I would be proud of them.. Actually the records I have by them they give an address for Jefferson, Mo.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 9:38 pm

Don't Avoid the Issue 2:59 The Screaming Mee Mees Nude Invisible Foot Phenomenon 2 5/9/2006 5:46 PM
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 9:38 pm

fuck that didn't work...
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 9:49 pm

Jefferson is pretty far from STL for a drunk ass dui having redneck but, he made it out a few times for shows.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 11:34 pm

we had the swamp rats way back when.

Hey, I thought they were from Akron! (where I sorta grew up, or down)

So, uh, DEVO, etc.

Clevo: all the oldies but goodies plus new-school ragers like Roue', This Moment in Black History, Proletarian Art Threat/Lives of the Saints, Chargers Street Gang, etc.

Town born in? Honor Role/Butterglove/Breadwinner/Labradford Were there any great RnR bands from Richmond, VA?

Howzabout Larwenceville, NJ, or, hell, even Trenton? Or fuckin Princeton? Someone name a great mid-NJ rock band, please!
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 11:37 pm

Sockeye

Oh, shit, Stow represent!!

Best band ever from said area: JOHNNY FISTUPHISASS

And the Unholy Three/Don Austin (featuring ex members of above band) thing rips.
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 12:08 am

Sons of the Pioneers
Tucson Boys Chorus
Chuck Wagon and the Wheels
and the almighty mutherfuggin' Street Pajama
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 12:17 am

Sons of the Pioneers - gotta love em'

Richmond, VA? All I know is GWAR...not really RnR though.
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 12:23 am

Sockeye

"You're from Stow Ohio,
Stow, Ohio SUCKS!"

Richmond, VA

Suppression used to be good, now they are heckle fodder.
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 12:24 am

Someone name a great mid-NJ rock band, please!
The Grim-Klone Band were pretty good...
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 12:32 am | Edited by: I am the Arm

href="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile &friendID=52821968" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Bray!
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 12:36 am

Posted: Jul 7, 2006 12:38 am

Grim-Klone who? Huh.

Yeah, Suppression, but I'm talking rock and roll. Richmond is small-city king of heavy bands, no doubt. But who swung?
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 12:39 am

someone teach me how to bray!
http://www.myspace.com/newjerseychile
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 5:50 am

Dutch Hercules One Man Band.
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 8:40 am

Blight
The Meatmen
The Crucifucks
Bantam Rooster
Touch and Go Records
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 8:47 am

I got into Supression when they released their split demo with Rectal Pus, and I loved all the 7"s they used to put out, but I started getting disinterested when their main instrument became a gas tank. I liked when they were fuckin' up the shit hard, but when they became a straight up noise band, meh.
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 9:33 am

"Honor Role/Butterglove/Breadwinner/Labradford Were there any great RnR bands from Richmond, VA? "

Shit, some people really like GWAR, I don't listen to metal, but don't mind Lamb of God, & I personally think RPG is one of the greatest "shake-your-ass hard rock" bands on the planet.
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 12:59 pm

when they became a straight up noise band

That was the worst thing that happened to Man is the Bastard.

Now Suppression is just a goofy skronk band with just the lead singer playing bass and the drummer and they've never even heard of the Stretcheads.
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 11:18 pm

I SAID barry bob and his byocosies
I am tha oldest dip on this shit
MEMFO DADDY!!!
Posted: Jul 7, 2006 11:23 pm

Who needs Suppression when ya got PCP Roadblock? Anyone know if they's still around?
Posted: Jul 12, 2006 12:36 am

hey fierydrunk , geoff wanted your e-mail, something about doing electrical for a friend of yours mom? i don't know talked to him right before my class started
Posted: Jul 15, 2006 7:37 pm

From Jamaica to Toronto
Cd release party and show tonight. And it's free. Looks like nearly everyone from the scene, except Wayne McGhee and Jackie Mitoo. This is gonna be heavy - a rare opportunity to catch all these cats in action.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 5:09 am

Blight
The Meatmen
The Crucifucks
Bantam Rooster
Touch and Go Records

Lansing eh? Howzabout
The Fix
El Smasho
Chinese Millionaires
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 5:41 am | Edited by: pseudo pion

The Zeros
Tokyos
Battalion of Saints
The Injections
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 8:16 am

"Blight
The Meatmen
The Crucifucks
Bantam Rooster
Touch and Go Records"

Touch & Go Records started in Maumee, OH, which is where Corey & the Necros were from. It's a very nice 'burb just south of Toledo. When Touch & Go were cranking out the early 7"s, I was blowing by it on the way up to the Toledo Sports Arena to see Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, & Iron Maiden.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 1:57 pm

Touch & Go Records started in Maumee, OH, which is where Corey & the Necros were from. It's a very nice 'burb just south of Toledo. When Touch & Go were cranking out the early 7"s, I was blowing by it on the way up to the Toledo Sports Arena to see Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, & Iron Maiden.

perhaps your right. i had always heard that their first address was a P.O. Box in east lansing but perhaps that was just the zine that Tesco put out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_and_Go_Records
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 7:13 pm

"Touch & Go Records started in Maumee, OH, which is where Corey & the Necros were from. It's a very nice 'burb just south of Toledo. When Touch & Go were cranking out the early 7"s, I was blowing by it on the way up to the Toledo Sports Arena to see Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, & Iron Maiden.

perhaps your right. i had always heard that their first address was a P.O. Box in east lansing but perhaps that was just the zine that Tesco put out."

Hard to say for sure without talking to Corey or Tesco (who is back living in the Lansing area) but Process of Elimination was recorded in East Lansing...
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 10:18 pm

Steph already mentioned The Goners, but I'm going to say Gorky's other band: Axtident. Managra wasn't my style, but I guess I would still be "proud" of them.
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 3:21 pm

Cleveland: The Pagans, Death of Samantha.
Columbus: Tom already mentioned them but the Gibson Brothers were the best band out of here- also TJSA, Gaunt, New Bomb Turks, Grafton. MY fave of course is the Cheater Slicks, by way of Boston.
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 3:53 am

The Spaceshits, BBQ, The Nils, The Irritations, King Khan & BBQ Show (sort of cheating), Deja Voodoo

Thanks! Buy my new one too!
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 3:03 pm

Zager & Evans
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 4:03 pm | Edited by: ottawarockerdude

the gunsmoke

it's "rockabilly" you'll hate it!

the action
the bureaucrats
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 5:20 pm

Zager & Evans

"In the Year 2525" -- those guys?

what more does a hometown need?
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 9:08 pm

this 'BBQ' over here is not me. it's some nerd-o.
by the way, i don't give a fuck if you buy the record or not.
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 9:49 pm

by the way, i don't give a fuck if you buy the record or not.

now i know this is really you.
um.... but you still ate white castle over tacos.
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 12:00 am | Edited by: bvalentine

I can name the bands my town is least proud of. Aint alotta "pride" float'n around these days.
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 2:47 am

Bum
NoMeansNo
Hanson Brothers
Infamous Scientists
Red Tide
Mission of Christ
Our Testicles Touch The Ground
Jerk Ward
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 7:39 am

Nervebreakers
Mullens
Boozers
Marked Men
Riverboat Gamblers/High Tension Wires
Dead Sexy
This Damn Town
Sunday Drunks
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 9:13 am

The best Toronto bands of recent times:
Deadly Snakes
Anagram
Leather Uppers
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 11:50 pm

i'm proud of all the cool bands from my city cause it somehow has something to do with me being cool.
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 12:11 am

Howzabout Larwenceville, NJ, or, hell, even Trenton? Or fuckin Princeton? Someone name a great mid-NJ rock band, please!

HOME BLITZ!
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 12:29 am

nj??? the clap of disco jesus fame. got their ep. i'll sell it fer a grand.
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 4:58 am

I can't believe I forgot the Reds!
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 5:59 am

X OFFENDER!
THROBBIN MOTHER FUCKING URGES!
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 8:40 am

perhaps your right. i had always heard that their first address was a P.O. Box in east lansing but perhaps that was just the zine that Tesco put out.

Hell, yes, I'm right. Look at a copy of Necros "Conquest for Death". Better yet, I will take a snapshot of my copy & post it.
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 9:09 am

Hell, yes, I'm right. Look at a copy of Necros "Conquest for Death". Better yet, I will take a snapshot of my copy & post it.

God, I've got to quit smoking crack before I come to work. Apologies to anyone I've offended.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®