Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 11:38 pm

Is the wire really that cool?I'm from Europe so I've never seen it.Somebody wrote here that it's as good as the sopranos- Is that true?
If so then I'll try to download the first season.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 12:00 am

I like it much more then the Sopranos.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 12:14 am

no where near as good as the shield.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 2:53 am

I like it much more then the Sopranos.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 6:10 am

It is better than both The Shield AND The Sopranos. In fact, I'd venture it's the best "cop" show to ever air on American television.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 6:14 am

Joe, check yo mail. I need to know when you's gonna be down hura (it means "here"; ask fiery).
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 6:27 am

You didn't hear about the "Portland Joes" showcase for Gonerfest III?
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 3:39 pm

Thanks.I found a videostore that rents it.Gonna give it a try tonight.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Definitely start from the beginning, season one episode one, and watch them in order. Otherwise you'll be all "what the fuck?"
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 5:57 pm

Yeah. Fantastic show. It's up there with Homicide:Life on the Street. And do what JJ Champion says, as you get to know the characters and history from the beginning.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 8:47 pm

Shure I'll do that. I've rented the whole season and I am burning it right now....That will be a great weekend!
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 9:55 pm

I love it. Great characters.
Posted: Jun 27, 2006 10:45 pm

The Shield sucks. My ex-girlfriend's coke/meth dealing parents used to watch that all the time when we all lived togeather. During the day, her stepdad would also watch Walker, Texas Ranger while shooting blow.
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 2:04 am

Shit!It's great. I've watched the first two episodes and I'm already hooked. I've promised my girl we'd watch it together so I have to force myself to wait for the weekend with the other episodes.Thanks for the advice!
Posted: Jun 28, 2006 4:19 am

Just wait, man. The more you watch it, the better it gets. I predict you and your girl will devour season one this weekend.
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 1:15 am

My ex-girlfriend's coke/meth dealing parents used to watch that all the time when we all lived togeather. During the day, her stepdad would also watch Walker, Texas Ranger while shooting blow

you say that like its a bad thing.
Posted: Jun 29, 2006 2:08 am | Edited by: Hugh Jass

One cool thing about "The Wire" is how each season has a different "theme." I've liked every season, but that one season (3rd?) with the prositute-smuggling ring and the whole longshoreman's union tension just blew my mind.

I read an interview with the show's creator recently. Apparently, the upcoming season is going to center on what it's like at school for the kids from "the corners."

Oh yeah, I love "The Shield", too. But comparing it to "The Wire" is apples and oranges.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:22 am | Edited by: banned

I've been watching this the last couple of nights from the beginning and it's real good.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 7:00 am

I like "Highway Patrol"
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 10:43 am

It's great and it gets better!I've finished the second season last weekend and now I have to wait for the third season to be released in the UK and then for my videostore to order it from the UK which will take a long time.I've ordered the two books David Simon wrote and now I'm trying to download "the corner" but only the first 3 episodes are available as torrents which freaks me out right now.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 3:35 pm

You will love The Corner--that show stuck on me like a bad virus, but in a good way (if that makes any sense).

I personally really dig The Sheild but The Wire is...trying to think up an appropos analogy here is hard...OK how about "The Wire is to The Shield as Eugene O'Neill is to Andrew Lloyd Webber"???? But I hate ALW, so forget it...you'll see when you see.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 4:10 pm

Best show ever. They have been showing season 3 episodes on Sunday nights recently. I took Fierys advice on the Corner and loved it as well.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 11:52 am

I finally figured out that "red top" is the synonym for a vial of coke but what about the other stuff that is sold at the projects?For example what is "red death"?
Also I wanted to ask if drugs in the US always come in those neat and fancy vials?All we got here are baggys,wraps and aluminiumfoilballs which just aint't as nice as vials.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 12:10 pm

that theme song actually stings my patience. terrible.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 4:21 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I think that (if I recall correctly) that Red Death was just the name of a strong batch they were trying to load off.

I have never seen drugs in a vial in my life. But then again, I don't smoke crack.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 4:43 pm

For example what is "red death"?

It's what the heroin they're selling is called. Different dealers have different batches and they're sold in wax paper wraps that are stamped with a brand name, like 'red death', 'second to none', 'spider', or 'd.o.a.' ... whatever they feel like calling it. Sometimes coke comes in fancy vials. Crack used to be in those plastic vials with the color plastic tops but I don't think it's sold that way so much anymore. It all works differently city by city though.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 4:47 pm

confusion. I borrowed the first two seasons from a friend, but don't know if the third is out. Also, I noticed the wire has been on cable. does anyone know which season is showing? is it already in season four? help!
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 4:58 pm

season 4 starts up in Sept -- i think they're showing Season 1 right now on hbo
best show
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 5:00 pm

I am sure they are showing Season 3 right now on HBO to lead into Season 4, which they have ads for. Didn't they just put Season 3 out on DVD as well?
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 5:04 pm

ah maybe, it's all Season 1 episodes on HBO In Demand right now
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 5:31 pm

Different dealers have different batches and they're sold in wax paper wraps that are stamped with a brand name

This is fucked up and fascinating. If you buy coke on the street where I live you get a aluminiumfoilballs full of your dealers spit because they often carry it in their mouths.Thank you Eric H and Fierydrunk for the answers!

confusion. I borrowed the first two seasons from a friend, but don't know if the third is out.

The third will be out in this month actually I think it will come out tomorrow. I hope it will be released in Europe soon too!
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 5:38 pm

Season 1 on In Demand and season 3 on Sunday nights on regular HBO. I wish they used the Compulsive Gamblers version on the theme song instead of the one on it now.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 5:41 pm

There is a Compulsive Gamblers version?
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 5:48 pm

Season One on OnDemand ended yesterday... I know because I had to watch five episodes on Saturday so I wouldn't miss any. At first I didn't really know what was going on. Actually, sometimes I still don't, but I still think it's a great show.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 6:00 pm

Yeah, they do "Way Down in the Hole" on Gambling Days Are Over.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 6:04 pm

Yeah, it's on a 7" black n white cover that JMM did, it's got Bad Taste, Sour and Vicious Man, Way Down in the Hole and Walking the Balustrade. Jack sing Way Down in the Hole.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 6:11 pm

I am sure they are showing Season 3 right now on HBO to lead into Season 4, which they have ads for.

This is the way HBO always seems to do it. It's their formula for generating interest. I finally saw one of the ads for season 4 and it looks great.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 6:13 pm

At first I didn't really know what was going on. Actually, sometimes I still don't, but I still think it's a great show.

You're not the only one. I have to watch the Wire with the subtitles on or I get lost pretty easily. I do the same thing with Deadwood. I guess I'm kind of a moron.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 7:11 pm

We watch both like we are watching something for class...with hours of Discussion afterward.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 1:08 pm

I just got David Simons books "Homicide" and "The Corner" and the third season of the Wire- that stuff is addictive.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 2:50 pm | Edited by: JJ Champion

There are two half hour shows promoting the fourth season which HBO is playing now, called "The Wire: Connected" and "The Wire: The Game." They're both excellent and have me super pumped up for season four.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®