Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Killed By Lounge
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:08 am

I need the help and advice for those Goners well versed in their knowledge of different musical genres. I need some Lounge music, stat. Instrumental, bongo-laden, hep-cat shit. Horns and piano, too. Any of you smooth motherfuckers got any tips?

ct
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:10 am | Edited by: red eyed willie

"A Bunch of Bongos"
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:16 am | Edited by: Alisa

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass?
Soundtrack to The Graduate

Bob Dorough - Devil May Care (vocals, but lounge music extraordinaire)
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:17 am | Edited by: stealth387

Hanatarash live 1982.

There are about two Hanatarash tracks, the rest is all calypso, bongo lounge.
Also 'Ultra Lounge' would probably be good, I see it on soulseek alot. but haven't heard it yet.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:21 am

Also 'She Had a Taste for Music', isn't bad.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:23 am | Edited by: red eyed willie

Les Baxter
Martin Denny
Mancini

If you really don't have any it'd probably be fastest just to get any of the first few volumes of the CD comps called "Ultra lounge" which are readily available.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:26 am

Pick up any albums with Cha Cha in the title. Usually a dollar a piece. 1 out of 5 should be a winner.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:40 am

yeah those ultralounge comps ain't bad at all.

also, I just read this and it's funny
http://www.wtul.fm/vox/butera.html
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:53 am

Awesome.
My own hometown hero.
...and The Wildest!
My next door neighbor is an old lady of like 80-something who tells me all the time how Sam Butera was a friend of hers and her husband's and how her husband, r.i.p., once got up and sang with Louie Prima.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:54 am | Edited by: Alisa

Hey Womb Raider, do you remember a saxophonist that played at...the 545 Club on Bourbon? It was a long time ago, but I think he was still playing there when I was there just three years ago. Kind of a funk-honker guy? Hot lounge music for sure, though.

PS..GREAT link, thanks.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 4:06 am

Check for "Persuasive Percussion" or "Provocative Percussion" LP's at your local thrift stores. They have lots of dots on the cover and all are good.

How much time do you have until you need some lounge/ ez/ exotica? I'm in the mood to make a comp.

That one red eyed willy mentioned is awesome. I wish I had it.
Posted: Jun 24, 2006 4:40 am

I gots tons of time. Me and my family own a martini/cocktail lounge up here in WA together. We pick the music, and have a good collection in the 300 disc player. A lot of jazz/blues/jump/rock and roll/standards/some other various shit (most locals have been introduced, and regularly request, to hear American Deathray here). Its mostly meant as background music. I'm just tired of the same old shit when i goes and drinks me some girly cocktails. I been throwin in some random comps (some tiki/surf/exotica/etc) to not roust the natives, but i need more. thanks you swanky goners!

ct
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 9:07 pm

Walter Wanderly did some great bossa nova, including the immortal Summer Samba. Can't go wrong with him.
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 9:10 pm

His stuff with Luis Henriquez on Vereve is great too.

Fave Wanderley cut is his version of "Surfboard" (Esquivel had a great version also) on The Walter Wanderly Set record on CTI. It's total spacestation lounge.

Since you have all the time in the world I'll take my time and set you up with a lounge/ now sound comp when I can afford some blanck cd's.
Posted: Jun 26, 2006 10:32 pm

Marcos Valle - Samba de Verão
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®