Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Goner's Bicycles?
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 6:49 pm

Who rides bikes here? Whatchoo got?

I have a Specialized Mountain Bike for retarded fun/cruisin', and a Centurion Road/Cross bike for fetchin' beers/groceries from the local store, and gettin' to my local watering hole.

i'm 6'6"/290 lbs and totally want to take that road bike with my rear basket/beer holder to the weekly rides where 40 year old doods pretend to be Lance Armstrong, and pour my ass into all that spandex and totally act normal, gut hanging out and all. wonder if Eric will let me order a Goner Team bike jersey, size medium?

ct
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Built my own fixie, but I don't smell. Own a road bike for longer stuff. I ride everyday because I work downtown. I, too, love blowing the doors off the attorney/doctor/yuppie on their $2k TI bikes. They'll come up at a stop and ask why I'm spinning so fast and then see I've only got one gear. Good times.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:03 pm | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

I have a cannondale with 2 flat tires, rusted off chain, dry-rotted gears and handlebars, and a chewed up by Sarge the humping boxer (RIP) seat. It's a really awesome bike, though, titanium & super light.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:10 pm

I have a plain old 21 speed mountain bike

try to ride to work every day but end up getting a flat tire like once a week due to debris in the streets.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:11 pm

I bought some 20 pound "heavy duty" tire and lined that shit with toughies, but a nail outsmarted that configuration in 10 days.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:14 pm

try to ride to work every day but end up getting a flat tire like once a week due to debris in the streets.

You need the Pugsley with the 4" tires.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:20 pm

Who should ride Pugsley? Hunters of all types (animal, mineral, or vegetable), beach/desert riders, snow/ice riders, wilderness explorers, and anybody else in need of a bike that will provide extra stability, traction, and floatation when the terrain gets loose and unpredictable. If you fall into any one of those categories, you should ride a Pugsley.

Sounds perfect for Mid City!
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:24 pm

Check out this guy's Pugsley Experience
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:25 pm

I don't know, aren't low pressure tires even more susceptible to puncture? I just need tires that are made from solid rubber, fuck this air bullshit.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:31 pm

Well, nothing really stops direct punctures, but there's lots of abrasion resistent, kevlar that goes into tires these days. I ride on Armadillos but they are 700x25c at 120PSI and probably wouldn't make it through sandy/muddy roads. Glass and debris bounces right off though. I think nails are tough only if they are short enough to rotate perpendicular to the tire when you ride over them, otherwise, they just get rolled over. I'm just waiting for someone I know to buy a Pugsley. Did you check out that pic with the roo meat on the tire?
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:33 pm

Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:19 pm

i got a vintage huffy - green in color. i need to mount a basket on it though, cuz it's hard to pedal around with bags in my hands. i keep banging the beer on the bicycle when it is hanging in a plastic sack.

i love my bike though. just got some new tires for it. i don't need nothing fancy. just point a to point b, around midtown.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:26 pm

i got a 10 year old green specialized ... was an EXTREME ALLEY RIDING machine (ride all the alleys in cooper-young- dogs, glass, bums, mattresses, branches, debris... where's my mtn dew?), now i'm trying to figure out how to do all gonerrrands without a car... & failing.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:26 pm | Edited by: The Driver

Here's my daily ride - the sum total of who knows how many dead bikes and cannibalized parts. It looks even worse since some clown backed into it last week (split crossbar, but still straight) I've got a sweet old school road bike (some vintage Campagnolo parts) hanging in my garage, that weighs nothin' but I haven't touched it since the night I woke up in the hospital after being cut off in fast traffic, into a parked car. Headset's cracked anyway.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:31 pm

Dude, I don't know why it never occured to me to put a goner sticker on my bike....
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:32 pm

2005 fisher sugar 4

i like mountainbiking.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:33 pm

Dude, I don't know why it never occured to me to put a goner sticker on my bike....

you're slackin', robin! i got one of them bitches up on mah riiiiiiiiiiide.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:56 pm

I have 6 bikes of all shapes and sizes. This morning I took the Bianchi and almost got taken out by three different cars. King county decided to pass a bicycle helmet law without telling anybody. So the pigs are cracking down on riding with no helmet bigtime. I wear the helmet anyway regardless of the law 'cause most people that drive cars are too busy talking on the cell, reading the paper, or shaving. I think that seat-belt and helmet laws should be decided by the voters of a county or state. Much like the smoking ban that was decided here earlier. Most laws politicians pass we never here about untill we get a ticket or go to jail.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:58 pm

ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 9:03 pm

I have a Raleigh Atlanta mountain bike with cannibalised parts and only five working gears - and a Goner sticker.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 9:22 pm

i gots a motobecane. replaced the wheel set, put on carbon forks and took off the front derailleur. way lighter than it already was. i've been using vittoria rubino tires and i'm pretty impressed. pretty smooth and tough. i want to build a fixed gear though. anyone have a track frame they want to get rid of?
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 10:10 pm

I stick it to the man with a 95 Trek unsuspended mountain bike with an older Surly Singleator. It's pretty beat to shit, I got to work on it one of these days. I also have a Schwinn Varsity that needs a little work.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 11:03 pm

1950's scwhinnnnnn in rusty pieces in my entryway.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 12:24 am

i vote we start a goner racing team.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 12:09 pm

I started riding a fixed steel frame bike that's about the size of a farm gate about 2 years ago, and now only use my Campagnolo geared ride for stuff over 10/15 miles. There are few big hills in London in any case.

I am a Campag ho; I take anything off that's Shimano, and replace it with the good Italian stuff.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 3:04 pm

Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:03 pm

Troll.... "fixie"? Jeez.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:06 pm

Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:15 pm

I borrow my roommate's blue three-speed off-brand thing, and I look like a jackass on it, and the pedal is held on by duct tape. It beats taking the bus.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:25 pm

This is my bike:

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2000/vw_jac/vw_7401.JPG

Are you serious? Is that your Thing? It's my all time favorite car.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:30 pm

I bought a Jamis Mountain Bike 13 years ago from MidTown Bicycles(RIP).
I put slicks on it and it's been my ride to and from work for the past 4 years with only the occasional tune-up. It finally starting to crap out this month. I am buying another Jamis this weekend.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:36 pm

"fixie"? Jeez.

I told you I didn't smell. I wanted to build my own wheels and a fixed gear doesn't mean you have to dish (much) when building so it was an easy first time wheel to build.

Plus, coasting's for suckers.

Glad to see you bought that money pit too.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:44 pm

Yeah, Joe, that's my Thing... we'll do lots of top-off cruising when I get to NY.

Troll- I'll come pick you up when your knees wear out after riding up and down Burnside a few too many times.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:48 pm

i have this $20 80's bmx bike i got from a thrift store. when i it home a few months ago i found it's a boys bike, not made for an adult. plus, the chain's too long and falls off when i've tried to ride it so it's just sitting around. i need to get ride of it.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:50 pm

I think you might have to get a faster car first. Those toy cars only go like 20.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:55 pm

top-off cruising

BJ, I don't know if you'll fit in Joe's Thing
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 4:56 pm

my bike=broken
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 5:57 pm

Joe doesn't have a bike? I thought it was Portland law that everyone in town is required to have a bike? Isn;t it?

ct
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 5:59 pm

Me and Scout Niblett say, "Fuck bikes!"
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 6:13 pm

SCOUT!
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 6:26 pm

SCOUT!

BRAY!
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 6:35 pm

Joe,
You bought that thing? E-mail me if you make it past the mountains.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 6:49 pm | Edited by: guy

Posted: Jun 16, 2006 6:55 pm

Yeah, I bought it! And it runs GREAT! Last weekend took it out to the family spread in the Dalles... about an hour and a half east of Portland, she ran just great. Took her off-road once we got to the property. Nothin' beats drivin' around with the roof and windows taken off and the windshield folded down!
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 7:25 pm

I am a Campag ho; I take anything off that's Shimano, and replace it with the good Italian stuff.

no way! depending on the gear shimano makes some good stuff (like the 105 and dura-ace series). if i could afford campag stuff i'd get it though. that, and the fact that campag stuff isn't compatable with anything shimano or shimano compatable is a big pain in the ass. it's like having a chinelli stem you HAVE to have chinelli bars. fuckin' WOPS.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 7:44 pm

Some Campag/Shimano stuff will match, but it's a pain in the arse, and you might as well just go for one or the other. Prices aren't that different between the two over here.

I'm not an utter gear queen; I like Campag's designs (shifters, chainsets etc.), and it's what I started with when I first got into cycling. I paid far too much for some Record levers, and I had to re-space a wheel to use a Campag chainset, but I've had very few problems, and have done several thousand miles over the last 3 years or so. Check these brakes out for sheer swankness, and total impracticality-

http://www.campyonly.com/images/mystuff/delta_brakes/delta_front.jpg

Apparently, if grit etc. gets stuck in them, they just completely seize up. Perfect!
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 7:55 pm

Posted: Jun 16, 2006 8:20 pm

just bought a bike today for 10 bucks, I want one of those SPECIALIZED road bikes...that cost like 700 bucks...maybe someday
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 8:25 pm

I tried out one of those bikes that have the shock in the middle of the frame. Felt like pedaling on a trampoline (less fun and more work than it sounds).
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 8:31 pm

I have a really cute pink "old lady" 2-speed. I also have "temporary custody" of my friend Robbi's bike, "Daisy Bomber" which weighs about 100 lbs., from the 40's with the huge fenders and the fat tires and a big old bent up basket that is the same vintage as the bike. I guess they're both "old lady" bikes... haha.

When I was a teenager, I had a dirtbike I used to ride on the muddy trails (off road) of all the parks near my home. It was totally fun. I don't even remember where I got it. I swear I think someone left it in my yard. I also don't remember what ever happened to it either... there's a lot I don't remember...;)
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 8:44 pm

I have a 2002 Trek Clyde, upgraded to a Shimano Nexus 7-speed internal hub and 2.125" wide slicks.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 9:03 pm

Posted: Jun 17, 2006 1:26 am

hahahaha, the International Scout. When I worked in an IH factory, we had one of those for running our shit around in as we were maintenance. really horrible clunky old thing.
Posted: Jun 17, 2006 1:40 am

i can't link like Donkey, but check these:

http://digave.com/videos/

i'm sure most of you are hip to these, but they are always fun to watch

ct
Posted: Jun 17, 2006 2:40 am

Felt like pedaling on a trampoline (less fun and more work than it sounds).

thats till you're going down a mountain at like 45 mph...then its great
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®