Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / computer ?
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Have any of you built your own PC?
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 1:12 pm

sorta
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 2:13 pm

what do you mean by sorta? i think i'm going to do it but not if it's going to be a huge pain in the ass.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 2:43 pm

what do you mean by sorta?

i did it but shortly after the motherboard took a dump.
then i needed a new power supply
then i wanted more memory and hard drive space for my application
all the components i had were from leftovers

its not that hard but by the time you buy everything its almost just as cheap
to get a dell and you get a free flat screen monitor, printer, et al...

unless you got all the components for cheap/ free then go ahead. its worth a shot
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 3:01 pm

nah, i'd have to buy everything. all i want is to be able to burn cd/dvd's, have lots of storage and edit video. if it costs the same then i guess it's not worth it. sorry yours didn't work for ya

THANKS CLUBBER!
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 3:07 pm

yes I have built my own PC.

unless you have specific reasons* for building your own I'd caution against it. the other benefit of buying a dell besides not having to build it yourself is that it will have a 3 year warranty. if you build your own it will be a pain in the ass to get warranty service on a specific part.

specific reasons meaning you want a high performance gaming / sound editing / video editing / etc workstation.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 3:10 pm

yeah if you have to buy everything you're better off getting a dell (if you want a PC). that way you get everything PLUS the warrenty for a year. sounds like what you want was the specs i was looking for. i got a 180 gig hard drive that crashed and dell came out to my house and replaced it with a 240 for free. good luck. be prepared to drop a grand but it'll be worth it.

WORD!
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 3:18 pm

A good compromise is buying a barebones system, which is a case with installed power supply, cpu, and motherboard. The ram, video card, and hard drives are easy to install, and while you may not save much money over a pre-built system, you choose the best components for the price.

For a video editing rig, this is the system I'd look at putting togther. Lot's of power for a good price. DIY, and do it right.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/12/your_diy_gaming_rig_for_720/

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 4:05 pm

whoa, my brain hurts!

i think going with a dell would be the best choice but building one seems pretty cool and probably easier to upgrade and i don't have to lay down all the cash at once.

thanks for the links - you guys are awesome! oxo
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 4:18 pm

You should be able to upgrade a Dell on your own, but it'd probably violate your warranty. But by the time you'd be needing to upgrade, you'll be near the end of the warranty anyway.

Truthfully, the hardest part of building your own system is connecting all the leads from the lights, buttons, front side USB/FireWire on your case to the motherboard. These connectors are usually poorly marked, poorly documented as to which is the positive/negative in both the case documentation and motherboard, and the motherboard male connectors are just usually a row of pins, so it can be very confusing. This is really the only hard part, and why the barebones systems can be very attractive.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 5:22 pm

Truthfully, the hardest part of building your own system is connecting all the leads from the lights, buttons, front side USB/FireWire on your case to the motherboard. These connectors are usually poorly marked, poorly documented as to which is the positive/negative in both the case documentation and motherboard, and the motherboard male connectors are just usually a row of pins, so it can be very confusing.

Yeah, from the research i've done i see a lot of people say this.

Womb Raider - did you have issues with this?
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 5:43 pm

well, I had a job in high school where I built hundreds of computers so I got pretty used to it, but yes, this is typically one of the more confusing and frustrating steps. you learn tricks to make it easier after a while.

there are also special precautions that must be taken in grounding everything properly, this is another thing that the manuals don't always explain in detail.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 5:51 pm

i've built all my computers for the past couple years. its the only way i'll ever do it.

buying a dell is definetly easier and in many cases cheaper. but if you build your own rig you'll know exactly what's inside your machine. dell, and every other pc manufacturer, use really shitty parts. so if you build your own, and for instance, you know you're going to be doing a lot of gaming / video work, you can put in a really good video card and skimp on something else. dell's and other prebuilt machines are usually harder to upgrade due to a lack of expansion slots/bays and a lack of room inside the case.

and you'll still get a warranty even if you build your own machine. all the parts that you buy will come with their own warranty.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 5:53 pm

don't build your own.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 6:45 pm

there are also special precautions that must be taken in grounding everything properly, this is another thing that the manuals don't always explain in detail.

good info, thanks

if you build your own rig you'll know exactly what's inside your machine. dell, and every other pc manufacturer, use really shitty parts. so if you build your own, and for instance, you know you're going to be doing a lot of gaming / video work, you can put in a really good video card and skimp on something else. dell's and other prebuilt machines are usually harder to upgrade due to a lack of expansion slots/bays and a lack of room inside the case.

Exactly, this is why i'm swaying towards building my own.

don't build your own.

Why Joe?
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 6:51 pm

Beyond what everyone else has already said, do your research first on the compatibility of components. It can be excruciatingly frustrating if your RAM or Power Supply or processor and mobo don't play nice. Nothing like flipping the power on to see the fan spin up, then spin down and not hear a beep. I've suffered numerous bad new CPUs in the past year (which surprised me) as well as a few cases of underpowered setups.

I always build my own, for home and work - though work also buys Dells. I liken it to owning a vintage car: if you like fiddling with your car, you will own a car that needs fiddling. Same applies to byo. You might scratch your head to find some wacky driver for that video card or onboard nic or whatever. The nice thing about OEM systems is that they have already done all the compatability thing for you.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:18 pm

do your research first on the compatibility of components

good point

if you like fiddling

i love fiddling!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®