Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / ya ever been in a haunted house/building?
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 6:58 am

do you believe in the supernatural..? I was watchin a documentary on the Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Kentucky the other day...kinda freaky, i wanna take a tour..!!
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 8:21 am | Edited by: DevilDog

I take lots of pictures in graveyards at night as I'm a 3rd shifter and awake at that time even on my days off. I don't normally believe in anything to do with the supernatural but I have captured alot of what people in the supernatural field call "orbs" while I'm out in graveyards. I don't have any logoical explanation for what I'm capturing and their patterns would sure lead me to believe that there is something unexplainable there. They're WEIRD looking.

I took about 30-40 photos in a local graveyard where Annie Oakley is buried and there was the most bizarre light hovering over the middle of the cemetery in my photos (not over Annie's grave but somewhat near it). I would look up where it was on my digital photo and there was nothing there and then take another picture and there it would be again in my picture. Very bizarre. And it's happened often in other graveyards. There are extensive writings on "orbs" on the web but I just have no clue how to explain them in my own photos.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 8:26 am

And I can spell "logical". Christ.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 9:19 am

Ohio U was full of spooky places, but I never made it to any that were actually haunted when I was a student there. Here's spooky stuff if you're ever in Ahia.

www.deadohio.com
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 9:57 am

Oh god, I have tons of stories like this. To prevent myself from going on and on, and I will share just one anecdote with you:

I used to date a girl who had the remains of an abandoned, torn down building in her back lot. Said house was the first house ever built in her area, and at the time it was one of the only houses back there. The house was inhabited by a young married couple in the 1940's or 50's. As the story goes, the wife went into town for groceries one day, and when she returned, she found her husband had been murdered/mutilated, suppousedly by a bum who was never caught. The woman turned into a total recluse and barely left the house again until the day she died.

I know the story sounds like total bullshit, but that much is actually true. The woman was still living there when my girlfriend and her parents built a house in front of hers, and they used to have to help her by buying groceries and stuff, because she was a total recluse. Apparently she had gone a bit nuts, but would openly talk about what happened. My girlfriend used to go visit her, and apparently the house hadn't been changed much since the time of the murder...old fashioned Packard or whatever was still in the garage, the furniture in the house was decaying old 40's/50's shit, yadda...my girlfriend felt really bad for her.

By the time I was dating my girlfiend, the woman had been dead for a few years, and the house had been knocked down. I think my girlfriend's parents had actually bought the lot that it was on (which was basically their backyard...) and had it torn down.

Anyways, one day when my girlfiend and her parents were out of town for a week, I convinced her to let me have the key to their house. Ostensibly, my reasoning was that I wanted to come over and drink/watch TV in her room. My real motive, however, was to surprise her by cleaning up her bedroom (which was disgustingly filthy) and leave her a few gifts I bought on her bed. This was when I was young, gooey, and romantic...but whatever.

I didn't have a car at the time, so I had to taxi over to her place. I had their house key with me, and a few things I had bought to leave her.
On the way over, the cab driver mentioned that he grew up in the same area we were going. We had the following eerie conversation on the drive up:

Taxi Driver: "Yeah, we're headed in that same area where that murder took place...you know about that?"
Me: "Yes"
Taxi Driver (pulling up to her house): "Wasn't that...the house right there?"
Me: "No, it was in back of this house."
Taxi Driver: (silence)
Me: "Here's your money"
Taxi Driver: (silence)
Me: "K, bye".

This was pretty unsettling, so bear in mind, my brain was already a bit loopy from this, and it put me on edge. I walk up to her house, and her dogs are barking like nuts. These dogs almost never barked, and they were already barking like crazy, non-stop, before I even approached the house. I was about to put my key in the door, when all of the sudden I heard what I thought was screaming coming form either inside the house, or the backyard. I also heard what I thought were people walking around in her house.

Weirest experience of my life, almost like something from Evil Dead. I have no idea if it was just my nerves or not, but needless to say, I got the fuck out of there and walked back home. I gave her the gifts in person, later.

A few weeks later her dad started reporting doors opening by themselves, and people scratching at the back window...creepy hell neighborood!
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 2:49 pm

I'm looking at this and realizing it's way too long for a Goner post, sorry.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 3:37 pm | Edited by: mrlastname

I love shit like this. My birthplace was a well-known stop on the Underground Railroad, so there are several legends and tales floating around. My stepdad's parents lived right next to a deserted mansion that was reported to be part of the UR network. My brother and I snooped around there quite a few times at night, and it was very eerie and surreal. Even more eerie and surreal was when a wealthy couple purchased the mansion years later and turned it into an upscale bed 'n' breakfast -- there's still something unsettling about the place.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 3:38 pm

My house was haunted when I moved into it seventeen years ago. (I've lived here my whole adult life.) It had been empty for a couple of years before I bought it, the people before that had lived here since the 40s. I guess the old man died here, because it was haunted by an old man. He used to hover around the back bedroom, I would actually "see" him. At night, going to sleep, I would hear what sounded like a radio or TV coming from the living room. An old, kind of high pitched, tinny sound...like an old game show or something.
Once he threw a pencil from the hall into my room while I was sitting on the bed. (No cats or dogs in the house...no kids in the house at that time either.)
I keep a jar of pencils on the built in telephone stand in the hall. A pencil just sailed into the room, stopped in front of the TV I was watching, and then just dropped to the floor. Freaked out, I went to turn on another lamp, and the bulb blew. Freaked out more, I was fixin to call my friend who likes spooky thing. The phone rang and it was him.

Many other things too.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 4:20 pm

Do you think it might have been me? Because it ain't.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 4:24 pm

I have captured alot of what people in the supernatural field call "orbs" while I'm out in graveyards.

I have some of these, too - and some in broad daylight that look really weird. Gene - they were from OU.

I have several stories like this. I grew up in a haunted house with what I would call a "harmless" ghost or presence, and lived in an apartment for 6 months a few years ago with some serious shit going down. I could not last longer than that, on top of the raving mental patients that lived downstairs.

My house growing up was inhabited by an elderly woman before us who had died alone in the house. We moved in when I was four, and the house was filled to the brim with her stuff. BIG old house with a huge attic, and we never got rid of everything. As a child in this house, I had an imaginary friend named Marla, and I was very animated when she was around. After several years my parents basically convinced me this was my imagination, because that only makes sense.....Well, when they were moving out of this house 17 years later they had a yard sale, and I was going through all the old books in the attic. I opened this old math work book, and the name "Marla" was printed inside the cover........

The other place is too creepy to talk about. Although, not SGS creepy!
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 4:41 pm

If in Chicago, make sure to visit Bachelor's Grove Cemetary in Midlothian. Creepy old cemetary in the middle of the woods that we like to go to on Halloween.
http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Cook/bachelors/
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 4:41 pm

I don't really believe in ghosts and the like, but living in a culture where people do and being a scaredy cat, I have let my imagination run wild a few times (and having seen loads of dead/mutilated/etc people dosen't help). Most of the times I was really freaked out was when I had to work the graveyard shift at the morgue (or in the basement and that place would freak anyone out). Usually it is dead quiet all night long. This night was no different. Really late into my shift I was sitting at the body log in desk, which is about twenty feet from the cooler where we keep the bodies. All of the sudden I hear this loud bang come from in the cooler. Now, I logged in ever body in that cooler and I know none of them were breathing when I rolled them in there. I also know that anything that wants to get out can and for the most part it is crazies and murderes in the cooler. So, I ignore the noise and continue my work. A few minutes later, "bang". OK, only a few hours until my shift is over, then I'll get the girl coming in to go in with me. The banging continued all night and I finally figured out it was the cool air running through the cooling system expanding and contracting causing the metal to bend like a cookie sheet in the oven.

Noises in a quiet morgue in the middle of the night suck. I usually tried to play music and ignore them, but jeez you are in a morgue byyourself in the middle of the night. Not to mention the creeps that brought the bodies in were probably all convicted felons.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 4:47 pm

I used to live in a big house with several other people (commonly referred to as the "House of Love" while we lived there.) It was built in 1863 and had been a fraternity house for Masons at one point in its history. It was definitely haunted, probably by more than one spirit. One night I had a nightmare, I was alone in bed, but when I woke up from the dream IT FELT LIKE SOMEONE was holding me, a man. Like he was trying to comfort me. It was so weird. I couldn't SEE anything, but I could feel his arms around me and my head on his chest, like the shape of a man, but kind of an electromagnetic field. It's hard to describe. I was immobilized, I was scared but at the same time comforted. Then I fell back into a really deep sleep, and when I woke up I was alone again. I do have a few more but I should really do some work now...
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 4:55 pm

Last night i heard some strange noises but it was my dog Sharky having a blast with his pals...
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 5:09 pm

The Perfect Medium : Photography and the Occult

this book is badass and has lots of seance pics, orb pics, ectoplasm pics. all kinds of dope stuff.

on a personal tip, when i was a kid, i went into a dark bathroom and looked into the mirror and said "i hate g*d, but i love bloody m*ry" ten times in a row, and i swear to g*d i saw a scary ass, blood red face come out of the darkness in the mirror. freaky deaky.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 6:00 pm

I almost got killed by a ghost/creature while studying abroad in South Korea.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 6:09 pm

One day a ghost came to my house and forced me to make some jars using a primitive machine with my feet.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 6:14 pm

[quote]One night I had a nightmare, I was alone in bed, but when I woke up from the dream IT FELT LIKE SOMEONE was holding me, a man. Like he was trying to comfort me. It was so weird. I couldn't SEE anything, but I could feel his arms around me and my head on his chest, like the shape of a man, but kind of an electromagnetic field. It's hard to describe. I was immobilized, I was scared but at the same time comforted.[/quote]

This is not uncommon. There is a phrase used to do describe it specifically, but I forget what. Look up night terrorrs or sleep paralysis on the net and you'll probably find info.

I've experienced the same thing before, but it was in tandem with false awakenings and I felt as if my body was being pulled back and forth across the room.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 6:25 pm

I felt as if my body was being pulled back and forth across the room.
Now that's really scary. At least my experience though unsettling was not like that!
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 6:53 pm

my mom's house in indiana is really freaky to me. 2 people had died in that house -- my step great grandfather and a baby who died of sids. i swear it sounds like someone constantly walking up and down the steps there. it is fucking weird. freaks me out.

downtown at that old hospital kind of wigs me out too..as does the old hospital that is now pretty torn up over on lamar. ugh.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 11:26 pm

My parents were both big into antique collecting in the 70s & my mom picked up this creepy wicker & wood antique wheelchair that she thought would look just wonderful in our living room at our old house in the Carolina mtns (I'm guessing it was from the turn of the century). I was pretty young (under 4 yrs old) so I don't have a real good memory of it- but apparently the chair was haunted by some foul mouthed old man who was always talking to me, in particular. He taught me all sorts of "bad" things to say or told me things I would've had no way of knowing & when my parents would ask where I learned it, I'd point at the chair & tell them "such & such told me" (can't remember his name).

My sister claims there were occasions when the chair would move on it's own or change positions & no one would admit to touching it. It freaked my cousins out so much that the chair ended up getting moved into the guest room where my grandma stayed. Then none of the kids would go in there cause it was "haunted" & even started complaining about having to sleep on the same floor as the chair.

My father eventually got so sick of all the hype about it that he got all pissed one day & threw it off our deck 4 stories up. It stayed down there, rotting under our deck for as long we owned that house. I remember it quite well over the years- we'd dare each other to go touch it & stuff. It was half buried in leaves & and decaying- super super creepy. I may not remember chatting with the ghosty too well- but I sure remember the heebie jeebies that thing would give me everytime I walked down the mtn trail that went near it.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 11:31 pm

There is a phrase used to do describe it specifically, but I forget what.

Braynagogia!
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 12:18 am

when i was a kid, i had my hand under my pillow, and another hand grabbed it. fucking crazy.

when i was 21, me and 2 other guys lived in an old house. the one roomates grandad built it and died in it. it was like a house on 5 acres in the middle of a very developed downtown area. the basement was the kind you could drive a car into. we were wrenching on a car one night, and we heard footsteps slowly go from the kitchen to my room (gramps' old room). our friend there asked if we heard it, all 3 of us said 'yeah' and kept wrenching like nothing happened.

remember Big Trax? those futuristic looking tank toys? you programmed it what to do by punching in codes on the number pad on top of it? me and 5 buddies were watching skate videos, and we hear this fucking big trak fall off a bed in the back room. come down the hallway, turn 2 corners into the den, and it stopped and "shot" the first guy, then turned, shot, turned, shot, and so on until it had 'shot' every one of us. i shit you not. freaky as hell.

since remodelling is my job, i swear i've seen tons of weird shit in those old ass houses. moving shadows, doors shutting, windows that keep unlocking themselves at night, etc.

ct
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 1:17 am

One time I was staying at my aunt's house in rural Indiana while she was out of town and spent the most nervous, scaredy-cat night ever. Although nothing overt happened I couldn't shake this overwhelming, almost psychadelic, dread, like the kind you feel in dreams. This despite many attempts to settle down and scold myself for being "irrational."

I kept returning to the same window like in a trance to stare at the one light on a pole out near her pasture in the pitch-black countryside, expecting to see something walk into view. And the basement...I fucking hate basements.

The creepiest thing burned on my brain was the dozens of times as a kid I would hear my name whispered inches from my ear as I layed in bed.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 1:50 am

When I was like 12 or 13 we were visiting some friends of the family in Ohio, and their son went to OU. He took my sister and I to the campus one day and we pretty much hung out there for the whole day. He told us a bunch of crazy stories that he'd heard and some shit that him and his friends had experienced. I don't really remember any of the stories, but I remember being really freaked out/fascinated by all of it, so he took me to the university's library so we could look up all the haunting shit in the archives.
Apparently the whole campus is surrounded by 5 cemetaries, and if you were to look at an aerial photo of it, they're pretty much perfectly spaced out and could be connected to form a pentagram. We went and checked out 2 of them. One was off in some woods and it was really small, but I remember it had a mausoleum which was all broken down and collapsing, fucking freaky looking. The other one was behind this really old, scary insane asylum called The Ridges. Apparently this place was in use way back in the day when they though crazy people were posessed by demons, so they would torture them and do all kinds of crazy shit to try and get the evil spirits out. The cemetary was for all the mental patients who'd died there. I remember it being maybe 100 - 200 gravesites or something...but the really creepy part was that none of the headstones had names on em, just numbers. It was pretty fucking sad...but also terrifying for a boy of my age. I don't think I slept at all that night.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 3:09 am

I think the scariest night of my life was when I was 17. I worked summers and some certain weekends as a ranch hand when I moved to Washington State. Every Spring, you have to ride up into the hills and bring all the cattle down for headcounts, preg-checks, foot-checks, and to vaccinate/brand any calves. This takes a few days to do, because the ranches I worked were MASSIVE. Luckily, they planned this shit to follow exactly on my spring break. ugh.

Anyway, as young guy on the crew, I had to regularly stay out and watch the herd on night shift (yeah, just like in those movies). One night, I kept seeing something running along the treeline, really fast. For hours on end. My horse was having none of it. I thought it just a deer or something. The more I saw it, the more i could tell it didn't really 'run', but it was 'gliding'. Fast. I tied up my pussy horse and walked over to make sure it wasn't a calf or anything, and I as I got nearer, this thing fucking turned and jetted into the woods, howling/screeching (cant really describe the fucked up noise it made) and breaking limbs and shit, like a fucking raped ape (sorry Brad). I swear I almost shit my pants. I ran back, got my pussy ass onto my pussy horse and trotted our pussy asses over to the other side of the field with the pussy cattle who spooked away from that whatever-it-was. I told the boss in the morning, and he was all "yeah, just an aggravated native spirit, that's all" or some shit to that effect, like no big deal, happens all the time kinda thing. Maybe he thought i was bullshitting, i dunno. I refused night shift the rest of that drive.

the end, i just got fucking creeped out typing that

ct
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 6:23 am

has any one ever heard a ghost in the bathroom takin a whiz?
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:13 am

me and some friends went to some cemetary in raleigh that on a 'top 50 most haunted' list somewhere. it was not haunted the night i went but it was funny watching everyone be paranoid.
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:22 pm

My buddy and I rented a house in Tulsa at about 31st @ Sheridan. My buddy (Jason) worked with the owner, whose wife died of cancer in that house: whenever he would come to collect rent, he wouldn't come into the house, just hang out on the porch.

Supposedly, when his wife died in the house, he just got up and walked out -- left shit in the oven and in the refrigerator, cabinets, &c. -- and didn't come back for several months. Of course, by the time we moved in, it had been cleaned but it was still kinda fucked up.

I'll skip all the little weird shit that happened but one night, before I actually moved in, a bunch of us got fucked up there and stayed the night. After everyone had crashed and a couple of us had passed out on the sofas, I heard something slide down the wall and shatter on the floor. "Holy Jesus, did you hear that?" "Yeah!" We turned on the lights expecting to find a smashed picture frame but there was nothing at all. I mean, fuck, two of us heard it!

Another thing that happened before I moved in, the two guys who lived there were asleep one night and heard what Jason described as a cabinet full of glass shit falling over and shattering: they both met in the hall... "WHAT DUH FUCK WAS DAT??!?" They rounded up baseball bat and shotgun, walked around and found absolutely nothing. Once again, two people heard it.

When I moved in, we got this flea-bitten old whippet (miniature greyhound) who used to piss in the kitchen everyday when we were at work: she was old, so we just cleaned it up and forgot about it. One day, in the middle of the summer and without a proper air conditioner, I come home from work and find a puddle of piss in the kitchen that is frozen solid. I'm not saying that frozen wee is the work of dark, malicious spirits but where-n-the HELL does frozen piss come from?
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 9:07 pm

One day a ghost came to my house and forced me to make some jars using a primitive machine with my feet.

Did you get to keep the jars? I would have bottled something spooky in them... I wish a ghost would visit me and teach me some lost and forgotten craft...

Once I was sitting with my Dad in this old church building, a few feet in front of us was this old upright piano with casters/wheels on the bottom so it could roll. Anyway, as we talked we both noticed the piano move forward and then back as if someone had pushed it. No person was nearby, and it wasn't on any sort of incline or anything. It just rolled a foot or so forward, and then rolled back. We both just looked at each other, thinking we were the only ones to witness it. Everyone else was behind us in the room, standing and talking etc. Anyhow, we just sat there kind of uneasy. Then we notice this kid get up and walk toward the piano. He circles it, looks underneath at the wheels, looks it all over, and then he just stands there with a wierd look on his face. This kid tells us he saw the same thing...

No idea why, or what. I didn't think ghosts had to move stuff out of their way or whatever...
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 5:51 am

that was me.
i was wearing my invisibility cloak
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 7:34 pm

Not a scary experience, but kind of fun. When I was a kid, we had a weird two-story house where everything but my room and the garage was on the second floor. Our beloved pet Boxer was an old gal who had trouble breathing, so you could always hear her snorting, etc. She got too old to even really be able to go upstairs, so she was always downstairs in my room. After she died, we'd be eating a meal upstairs and we'd all hear her running around and snorting downstairs. It was so distinctly her sound, we'd all just laugh and it would feel good to hear her again.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 8:31 pm

After she died, we'd be eating a meal upstairs and we'd all hear her running around and snorting downstairs. It was so distinctly her sound, we'd all just laugh and it would feel good to hear her again.

After my grandmother's dog died, for the next week she would wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of his collar jingling...she said it made her feel good to know he was still around.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 9:44 pm

I'm looking at this and realizing it's way too long for a Goner post, sorry.
I really enjoyed it anyway....
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 10:20 pm

I used to eat pizza at Shakey's. Now that was horrifying.
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 11:27 pm

I used to eat pizza at Shakey's. Now that was horrifying.

My brother-in-law took me to Shakey's once, I was freaked out that you could get mashed potatoes AND pizza. I don't know if that is characteristic of all Shakey's establishments. They don't have them here...
Posted: Jun 17, 2006 12:25 am

When eMpTy rec. was in the upstairs of an old house we had a ghost. It never did anything, but walk around mostly. At first it really freaked me out, but after a few years I never really thought about him much -- not really sure why I thought it was a male ghost, but it just felt like it. I never felt alone in that house in the 7 years we had the label there. We did have people visit that would hear it walking around and when you would go upstairs you would be alone.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®