Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / what book(no fucking plural!) are you reading?
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 11:54 am

kurt cobain journals
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 1:45 pm

STONED: A MEMOIR OF LONDON IN THE 1960s--andrew loog oldham
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 2:49 pm

Voices From Chernobyl: an oral history of a nuclear disaster

i think its really amazing reading, but pretty heartbreaking too
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:10 pm

Voices From Chernobyl:

thats on my list
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:42 pm

devil in the white city
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 4:01 pm

notes from underground - dostoyevsky
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 4:32 pm

re-reading Pimp by Iceberg Slim at work.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 4:57 pm

the great deluge by douglas brinkley
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 5:10 pm

nick tosches reader.
tobacco: a literary anthology.
sorry, i really am reading both.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 5:22 pm

I lived for a couple of years less than three hundred miles from the worst nuclear accident in history. It occured in Chelyabinsk, Siberia. It was kind of neat because we lived down the river from them, and I was told that swimming in said river would take twenty years off my life, but, being that I was just a youngin' I paid no attention and swam there nearly every day during the summers.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 5:42 pm

Shoot the Piano Player
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 5:43 pm

devil in the white city
just read it for the architecture...

complete short stories of hemingway
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 5:47 pm

just finished reading Jack Goldstein and The CalArts Mafia and am now feeling such a combination of nostalgia/depression, I think I want to re-read Through The Windshield by Michael DeCapite.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 5:48 pm

Also, just finished The Sun Also Rises. Anyone wanna take a fishing/bull fighting trip to Spain?
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 5:49 pm

I recommend House of Leaves for some engaging, horrifying, awesome, and very challenging summer reading.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 6:43 pm

Poor Folk - Dostoyevsky. Just finished Pelecanos' 1st - A Firing Offense ... durn good book.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 6:43 pm

Anyone else read House of Leaves?
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 7:11 pm

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 7:14 pm

The Amalgamation Polka by Stephen Wright
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 7:15 pm

When a darkness falls...Paul Zindel, remember "Pardon Me your Stepping on my eyeball"
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 8:41 pm

uriel's machine
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 8:45 pm

Magic Whistle comic
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 9:09 pm

Trance--Christopher Sorrentino
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 9:41 pm

Anyone wanna take a fishing/bull fighting trip to Spain?

*raises hand*
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 9:44 pm

In Cold Blood
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 10:21 pm

devil in the white city
just read it for the architecture...

Funny, I just read it for the murders.

I'm reading Eva Luna by Isabel Allende, just finished A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, and like a million others. I'm big into the liberry right now.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 10:24 pm

Cell-Stephen King

I hope it happens too, cause I don't own one.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 10:25 pm

A Life in Majick-the story of Aleister Crowley
Reggae Bloodlines-Stephen Davis
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 10:57 pm

"A Dictionary of Maqiao" by Han Shaogong. I like Chinese and Japanese lit
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 10:58 pm

yes yes y'all... done.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 10:58 pm

And if you've read "Devil in the White City" and want a tour of the architecture mentioned (what remains of it at least... most of the actual White City is gone) come see me!
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 11:18 pm

I was so bored by that book--did it get better?

(I am talking about Devil in the White City)
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 12:38 am

Re-reading Wind-Up Bird Chronicles
& one of those 33 1/3 books on David Bowie's 'Low' lp.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 12:40 am

A People's History of The United States
by Howard Zinn
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 4:17 am

Actually, I never even finished Devil in the White City... got bored with it. Does that make me a horrible Chicagoan?

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is my all time fave book.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 4:47 am | Edited by: jenna

argh, i read eva luna years and years and years ago. i love isabel allende. on a totally different but similar tip, when i was 20 i read all of maya angelou's outpourings. so good.

and when i was 21 i read bukowski from end to end.

and about 10 years ago i had the distinct pleasure of seeing howard zinn speak at the NY public library. an honor.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 4:49 am

[quote]i read all of maya angelou's outpourings. so good.[/quote]

This is a joke, right?
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 6:26 am

"american pastoral" by philip roth.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 1:13 pm

my fault by billy childish.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 2:41 pm

[quote]i read all of maya angelou's outpourings. so good.[/quote]

This is a joke, right?

no, i'm serious. she has this trilogy of autobiographical books (I know why the caged bird sings, etc.) that were good to read when i was 20.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 4:00 pm

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is my all time fave book.

Hard Boiled Wonderland by a nose over Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. It edged Catch 22 out as my favourite book and it's now the one I lend out the most.

Murakami has this weird hypnotic effect on me. I was reading Kafka On The Shore the other day on the bus and missed my stop my three stations.

<Then I went home, made spaghetti while listening to Bob Dylan and pondered where my cat might be.>
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 5:42 pm | Edited by: flesheater99

Kafka on the Shore 'might' be as good as Wind Up Bird...hard to say, but Wind-Up has certainly had a more profound affect on me personally. Looking forward to reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland.

*Murakami/WUBC fans can go undefined (and scroll down)for some xhardcorex WUBC action/analysis.

My synopsis of People's History of the United States...White people ruin everything.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 6:06 pm

murakami is fucking terrific. i need to read hardboiled wonderland sometime soon. my best friend just finished it recently and i need to borrow it. first one i started off with of his was norwegian wood, which i really really really liked. wind up bird chronicles and kafka on the shore were great as well. i think wind up was my fav though.

currently, i'm taking a stab at reading james joyce's ulysses. i'm into the second chapter now. i need to take more time to read and less time on the internet and i might get along further.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 7:56 pm | Edited by: banned

she has this trilogy of autobiographical books (I know why the caged bird sings, etc.) that were good to read when i was 20.

I thought you were talking about the books of inspirational quotes that they sell at Hallmark Gifts.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 8:23 pm

The Confessions of Aleister Crowley: An Autohagiography
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 8:52 pm

shit magnet by jim goad
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 9:14 pm

Drugs Are Nice by Lisa Crystal Carver
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 9:29 pm

The Killer Inside Me, by Jim Thompson.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 11:11 pm

will you fie for me? by tex Watson
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 11:18 pm | Edited by: pheezy

I found what we all *_should_* be reading --

Double Trouble (Goners)

by Jamie Simons, E. W. Scollon, Michael Evans

Book Description
They're super-smart, they're super cool, and the're ALIENS! Their job on our planet? To try and rescue the ...GONERS

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0380807254/sr=8-1/qid=1150064201/ref= sr_1_1/002-3366761-5320850?%5Fencoding=UTF8
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 11:20 pm

This is a pretty entertaining read, and captures the retarded spririt of making a living as a cook.

Just started, "The Witches of Eastwick" by John Updike. Not terribly interested in the story, but he has a mastery of the English language like few others.
Posted: Jun 11, 2006 11:21 pm

I just finished re-reading "Snow Country" by Yasunari Kawabata. I also recently got his book "Thousand Cranes" but I think I'm going to take a break from the sad and beautiful and read "Rap Sheet" by Blackie Audett in between the two.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 1:11 am

I just started this today.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 2:54 am

Wild Palms, a book to swoon over. (And half reading Lake of Darkness, but I dont care for it.)
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 3:39 am

Rabbi Jesus by Bruce Chilton.
balanced with Slaughterhouse Five- one of those I've always been meaning to get around to
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 4:15 am

shit magnet by jim goad

So, whatta ya think so far? The rants at the beginning are a bit much but when the whole Debbie/Anne story starts up it's unputdownable.Anne reviewed the book on Amazon, haha.

I swore everyone was fucking with me after reading that one. Definitely his best.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 4:40 am

I read Bukowski when I was in high school and was terrified when I discovered my dad reading Bukowski as well, because he's so filthy (bukowski, not my dad).

I read I know why the caged bird sings when I was in junior high, actually. I was assigned it because I was 'mature' enough. I wasn't.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 5:36 am

"The Frontierman" by Allan W. Eckert

I read it in a couple days a few weeks ago, then picked it up again. My signature on the Stonerrock.com chat board used to be the following line from this classic.

"The Shawnees reserved special forms of slow death for their greatest enemies."
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 5:51 am

Popo... I know what you mean about Murakami having a weird effect... I was reading it on my lunch at work, sitting outdoors in this busy plaza outside the Bank One building, business types milling around, eating lunch, etc... and after an hour of reading (on my 1/2 hr lunch break... oops!) I looked up and was shocked to find I was not in a Japanese library. Then I went home and tried to talk to my cat.

... just kidding about the trying to talk to the cat bit... I understand him pretty well without words.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 7:49 am

Murakami is great.

I really enjoyed devil in the white city...kinda three books in there but something for everyone.

Just picked up "the enigma of japanese power" for a dollar at a book fair. a bit dated but insightful as to why japanese seem to have a pervasive belief that they are "uniquely unique".
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 12:36 pm

"Deliverance" by James Dickey...which does not contain the line "squeel like a pig!", btw. Pretty good book but getting boring towards the end...
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 3:40 pm

Art Pepper "Straight Life"
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 3:41 pm

I hear that one's pretty brutal.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 4:32 pm

"Patternmaster" by Octavia Butler, where all these "chosen ones" communicate via telepathy and their enemies are Clayarks, these mutant humans with lion heads and feet and muscular human bodies and hands. they wield big guns, it is sweet.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 4:44 pm

Octavia Butler is great!! I like the patterning series, it's more sci-fi than some of her dystopia books, which are more to my taste, because they seem altogether too possible. Have you read Parable of the Sower? That one is a really fun read... It's set in a burning, post-apocalyptic Los Angeles, where packs of formerly domesticated dogs run around eating people and Pyromaniacs are killing the people who were lucky enough to find shelter in gated communities.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 5:00 pm

I had to read Kindred for my bitches with pens class. It was better than most the stuff we read but still didn't care much for it.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 5:26 pm

Art Pepper "Straight Life"

I heard it was good, is it?
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 5:47 pm

Sixteene already finished it and said it was one of her favorites, and she's a heavy reader. I'm into it so far and I'm pretty sure it's gonna live up to the hype.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 7:15 pm

Outer Dark, Cormac McCarthy
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 7:21 pm

L.A. Despair, John Gilmore. tres trashy!

not nearly as good as Straight Life (which is one of my favorites) but still good stuff.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 8:46 pm

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 11:29 pm

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

how is it?
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 11:30 pm

This book is amazing!! I loved it! Who thought square inches would be so terrifying?
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 11:32 pm

that book is so goddamn amazing.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 11:44 pm

this thread is damned informative.
Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayres.
Posted: Jun 12, 2006 11:57 pm

I'm glad someone else thought House of Leaves was amazing. I can't stop rambling about that fucker, and I think all of my friends think I'm nuts.

"No, dude, well... It's about this house, see, that's bigger on the inside than outside. But it's also about this blind author and also about this sorta junkie guy. And there's all these footnotes with really complex and dense literary allusions and references to Greek myths. And the word 'house' is always in blue, and sometimes the text gets all crazy. It's also the scariest horror story I've ever read."

No one ever believes me.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 12:04 am

I'm almost through with

Hell's Half Acre by Christopher Baer

Maybe I read too many fucked up books but this one is feeling kinda trite. Almost like a hallmark movie version of a snuff film.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 1:10 am

"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers and "Post War" by Tony Judt.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 8:54 am

"Entheogens and the Future of Religion" various essays
"The Natural Mind" Andrew Weil
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 3:31 pm

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

how is it?

I am only on Chapter four, pretty good so far. I just finished a book called the Dante Club by Matthew Pearl, murder mystery, thought I would go thought provoking. She has a unique grasp of language and an interesting insight. The little girl has been calling Mozart, Motsart (can't exactly remember how she spelled it), I was wondering if this was any forshadowing or some sort of salute to Jean-Paul Sartre, French Existentialist, as the little girl seems to be waiting for something that never seems to comes???
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 3:52 pm

I've never read House of Leaves but my cousin has a band called The Navidson Record. Yeah, they are kinda emo.

Just got back my copy of Acid Dreams: The Complete Social History of LSD. Might read that one again, which would make it my most read book ever. This'd be about the fourth time, not to mention all the times I've re-read certain particular chapters when I had it sittin' in the bathroom.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 6:04 pm

19 new necromancers from now - edited by ishmael reed
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 8:53 pm

I just checked out The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter on CD from the library to listen to while in the car for 12 hours. I am going to be very sad if it sucks or is as boring as driving through southern illinois.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 8:56 pm

If writers like TN Williams said it was one of the best books ever written, there is a slim chance it will suck.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 8:56 pm

I am going to be very sad if it sucks or is as boring as driving through southern illinois.

No, it'll suck because it's sad and lonely.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 8:57 pm

You should probably also check out Winesburg, Ohio if you haven't cried enough.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 9:39 pm

Sarah- what's your schedule? Still coming through the NW? It'd be a good excuse for all the PDX Goners to be in the same place at the same time to welcome you to our fair city (I'm looking at you, Troll).
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 7:57 pm

This is the book that taught me that I don't really know how to read. Meaning that I used to read too fast and was not really actually noticing what was going on. I also read this in school.

This thread is awesome cause I never know what books to read, but I read a lot. I've been spending my unemployment time at the liberry.
Posted: Jun 14, 2006 8:17 pm

f writers like TN Williams said it was one of the best books ever written, there is a slim chance it will suck.

I reread his quote and he actually compared her to Herman Melville, and that maybe an even greater compliment.

not really actually noticing what was going on
there is alot going on in that book, the depth is easily disguised by the descriptions and interesting characters. i think it is easy for students to gloss over really good books. i am really glad that i've read some books, like the bell jar, after college. It is a much broader perspective that can be applied. I guess you are just learning how to do that in highschool.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 8:26 pm

Gabriel Garcia Marquez
"Strange Pilgrims"
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 8:35 pm

fountainhead - ayn rand
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 8:57 pm

finished farewell to arms today in the plasma bank. began teachers of destruction. its a propaganda book about the radical college left. published by Citizens Evaluation Institute. epilogue by j edgar hoover
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 10:19 pm

I'm reading a Sonic Youth bio I once bought years ago and never read titled "Confusion is next".
Not great reading but a good look at the whole "No Wave" scene in post-punk New York and it's effect on music since, even if it didn't cause much stir then.
I think I'll revisit "Leaves of Grass" again when I'm done with this gibberish.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 10:26 pm

Cocaine: The Unauthorized Biography
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 10:40 pm

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenace
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 11:33 pm

Posted: Jul 3, 2006 11:51 pm

Doris Lessing is a great writer, though books about truck driving may not be your thing, but "Thunder On The Highway", "White Line Fever" and "Breaker 1-9" are: "great fun to read for fans of big rigs, bawdy adventure and brawling action" (Amazon.com). As the famous country song says: "There's no messin'/With Doris Lessing/ Now, there's a woman who knows all about trucks/there's no messing/With Doris Lessing/Next to her all them other writer's sucks" (Randy Mc Nash and The Tennesee Ramblers, RCA Records 1974)
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 2:52 am

The Grapes of Wrath
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 5:24 am

Hustler
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 8:02 am

Rum Punch - Elmore Leonard
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 3:08 pm

Picked up Faulkner's The Reivers at a thrift store. I'm only about 25 pages in. It's about Memphis (i thnk)...anyone read it?
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 3:46 pm

Freakonomics
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 3:46 pm

Me too.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 6:42 am | Edited by: pheezy

Fern, I loved The Reivers.

A favorite book of Terry Southern's.

And, yeah, it's all about stealing the boss's car & joyriding to Memphis!
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 12:16 pm

Finally started "Garden party" by Gyorgy Konrad, Hungarian-jewish stuff. The first pages already are great reading.
Posted: Jul 5, 2006 2:54 pm

"THE ULTIMATE EVIL" by Maury Terry- it's about the son of sam killings.
640 pages good, clean, American fun.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 4:30 am

Man, I've been searching all over for "The Ultimate Evil"! Doesn't he make the claim that David Berkowitz had knowledge of the Manson murders that only someone involved with the crimes would know? And that Berkowitz didn't act alone but perhaps with a CIA hit squad via The Process cult? Or is this another book???

I'm reading "The Big Bam" about Babe Ruth. I'd recommend to anyone with a remote interest in baseball. Ruth is dumped off at an orphanage at the age of 7, revolutionizes baseball with his uppercut swing that he learned from a priest at the orphanage, and discovers beer, women, and hot dogs and antics ensue.

The most interesting chapter so far was about his 1st wife who he married at 19. Of course, he constantly cheated on her on the road, and she was in and out of the hospital with nervous breakdowns. The Babe wanted to divorce her to be with his new flame, a New York socialite. His wife died soon there after in a mysterious apartment fire. Supposedly, many of her relatives didn't by the official story but were suddenly mum on the topic. Were they payed off? The author certainly insenuates it. But we get only a chapter on that bomb shell!!!
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 11:21 am

Man, I've been searching all over for "The Ultimate Evil"! Doesn't he make the claim that David Berkowitz had knowledge of the Manson murders that only someone involved with the crimes would know? And that Berkowitz didn't act alone but perhaps with a CIA hit squad via The Process cult? Or is this another book???

Yes that's the one.My English is limited and I haven't finished my first cup of coffee so I can't go into details but the theory that Berkowitz didn't act alone seems somehow believeable.I can't stop reading and I am ignoring the work I should do since I started that book.I'm almost finished and it makes me a bit mad that Terrys theory wasn't proven.Berkowitz is now a Christian but hasn't confessed that he didn't act alone.I must say that I totally hate conspiracy theories but this one got me even I don't believe everything Terry writes.

Maby it's the summer, maby it's the fact that I couldn't affort a holiday since years but the thought that discos had to close because of the sos-killings fascinates me.

I also enjoy Berkowitz notes and letters and here is an example what this book is about:
When the cops arrested Berkowitz they found a note that said:"Because craig is craig so must the streets be filled with craig (death)"- great,cool poem but Terry proves that Berkowitz didn't wrote that. It was written by John Carr, the original son of sam about who Berkowitz wrote in his letters to the police.All Berkowitz did was add "death" but Berkowitz claims that he didn't know John Carr who was a satanist and a drug dealer and murdered shortly after Berkowitz arrest.Berkowitz letters are full of hints to his and Carrs home and when Terry focuses on Carr he finds out about the process and that Berkowitz and Carr knew each other very well.The theory is that Carr and Berkowitz commited the murders for the process and that Berkowitz wasn't obsessed by a demon-dog that told him to kill- as I said,my english isn't that good so this comes around a bit clumsy but the book is fun and worth reading.

URL

URL
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 2:58 pm

Freakonomics

Me too. I really like it, it's a nice easy read. Makes you look at things in a slightly different light.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 3:39 pm

I liked strange pilgrams. a lot.

I just took a couple of books on tape on a long trip. One was called Semiautomatic by some douchebag ex DA that I picked up because it had a nice quote from Pelecanos on the cover. It was awful.

The second was Vonnegut's The Monkey House, which was a 1979 reading, that was just kind of boring because it was read by an announcery commercial guy rather than an actor or something and it just left me kind of dry. YOu'd think that might work for Vonnegut. It didn't. And I forgot that I'd read it before.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 4:32 pm

atheism:the case against god.
by george h. smith.
but i don't know how much longer i'll be reading it.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 5:10 pm

"King Dork" -- Frank Portman (i.e. Dr. Frank from The Mr. T Experience).

A Young Adult book about a high school loser who finds "The Catcher In the Rye" and how it mysteriously relates to his life. Just started it but read good reviews.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 5:20 pm

"King Dork" -- Frank Portman (i.e. Dr. Frank from The Mr. T Experience).

I plan to read this soon too.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 7:43 pm

Thirty pages in and I'm liking it already. Pretty funny isolated / weirdo high school sucks type of book. Main character's best friend takes pills from his hippy-ish mom but the two don't really talk much to each other except for coming up with band names, set lists and album covers for future records. For fans of the TV show "Freaks and Geeks" I'm sure.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 8:18 pm

That Carson McCullers book you all like so much almost killed me. Listening to in while driving put me within a few blinks of passing out completely. Snoozefest!
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 8:49 pm

"Sweet Soul Music" by Guralnick. Awesome so far.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 9:17 pm

Nightwood-Djuna Barnes. It's pretentious and stylized, but somehow engaging...and it's a book you're supposed to have read...I know those are usually boring...whereas "Straight Life" is action packed and the best jazz drug bio next to Anita O'Day's autobiography, the name of which escapes me at this moment...probably called "high" something or other cuz that's what she was all the time..
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 9:20 pm

Found it- it's called "High Times Hard Times"...
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 9:20 pm

atheism:the case against god.
I have that book. The first half of it is pretty much arcane philosophy, but the last half is a lot easier to understand...
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 9:21 pm

I just heard about a book on NPR called "47". Sci-Fi way down on the old plantation- cotton, chains, and intergalactic struggle I gotta pick this one up.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 10:46 pm

I have that book. The first half of it is pretty much arcane philosophy, but the last half is a lot easier to understand...
its got some good points,but its really fucking redundant.
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 11:20 pm

I found a copy of the first Quiller book (spy jams) on the street in the trash and it rekindled my teenage espoinage fantasies. Really well written by nom de plume guy, Adam Hall. Tight, philosphical, et5c. Dude'd kick James Bond's ass, and look better doing it (?). Also, John Updike's 'Picked-Up Pieces' which is reviews and short musings and fuck that dude can string together a sentence..

Also just read 'NAM' which is harrowing and gross and hilarious. My co-workers seem to really be enjoying my frequent and flagrant use of jargon and made-up war stories. Watch out for that Bouncing Betty!

Also, Italo Calvino 'Mr. Palomar,' which is slyly hilarious. Recommended to me after a discussion about Borges.

Also read 'Kitchen Confidential' recently (by Anthony Bourdain) which is super-fucking-dead-on. It's been a solid decade in the rest. biz and he pretty much nails it, and it's really funny and easy to read. Anyone read his police novels?
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 11:22 pm

Oh, wrong thread. Whatever, screw you.
Posted: Jul 9, 2006 4:54 pm

the art of the steal
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 6:11 pm

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk.
The thing with the swimming pool did happen to a ten year old daughter of a friend of my mother- horrible.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 7:28 pm

Sonic Cool by Joe S. Harrington. It's pretty good so far, i just started it. It's a History Of Rock n' Roll -type book... don't spoil the ending for me.

"It'd be a good excuse for all the PDX Goners to be in the same place at the same time..."

You mean the Head and Leather Uppers shows weren't good enough "excuses"? Didn't see Joe,the Troll or fiery drunk(but knew not to expect her) at any of these events! You're all on Double Secret Goner Probation,donx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 7:31 pm

I mean i wouldn't give ya any shit for missing the SLiP ITs or any of my bands,but Head AND the Leather Uppers? Big thumbs down.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 8:09 pm

Sorry to let you down, Joe. I been in and out of town pretty frequently, so I've been missin' some shit.

Anyway, just finished "Blood Meridian" and uh, holy shit. One of the best books I've ever read. Also, read a book called "Icelander" that was a fun little piece of absurdist mystery fiction, I'm re-reading "Travels With Charley" which is amazing. "Nonconformity: Writing on Writing" by Nelson Algren was great, too- and not just for writers, but anyone who feels uncomfortable with the notion of "conformity".... a sort of call to arms for artists, radicals, thinkers, etc. Especially interesting 'cause it was written in McCarthy's 50's, and we can all recognize how similar our own world is to that one.

Still wading through "The Sound and the Fury" which is tougher than I thought... when it gets to be too much I pick up a graphic novel for respite- just finished "Epileptic" which was really good, and a few short graphic "novellas" by my favorite comics artist- Jason from Norway. Pick up "Why Are you Doing This?", "The Left Bank Gang", and "Tell Me Something" for challenging, dark, and really funny reading (and looking- his drawings are very reminiscent of Hergé- but his characters are all vaguely anthropomorphic, which lends an air of surrealism).

The end, for now.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:02 pm

Willa Cather: O, Pioneers!
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:10 pm

Black Hole by Charles Burns (just finished--takes a couple of hours max)

Now will either read The Horsey Set by Pamela Moore or Chic Savages by the former editor of Women's Wear Daily. Total pap for summertime.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:11 pm

Anyone read his police novels?

Bourdain wrote police novels?
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:29 pm

Yeah, pulpy detective stuff. My dad really likes 'em
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:37 pm

Anyway, just finished "Blood Meridian"

the scene where the judge makes gunpowder is awesome. shit every page in that book is awesome. i've read it several times and always pick up something new b/c his writing is so thick. i love that fucking book. my second favorite by mccarthy is the crossing.

just read a scanner darkly by philip k dick. i havent seen the movie but the book was pretty good.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 9:44 pm

Black Hole by Charles Burns (just finished--takes a couple of hours max)

I read that one too. That's some hot lizard-girl sex goin' on there!

I'm on the list for "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic" by Alison Bechdel for my next graphic novel. Also on deck is Paolo Coelho's new one.

Currently: "The BFG" by Roald Dahl.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 12:42 am

Just starting "Justine, Philosphy In the Bedroom & Other Writings" by the Marquis de Sade. Should be fun.
Also chewin on "Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick"- because I'm being constantly hassled for my lack of Dick knowledge (hardyharhar). True tho. Figured I'd warm up with some short stories before I dive into one his weird-o full lengths.
Also got about 30-40 comic books laying around my room from various genres.
And I think I'm going to re-read "The Dubliners" by James Joyce cause it's a fav & I haven't cracked it almost 10 years.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 1:57 am

my second favorite by mccarthy is the crossing

Blood Meridian is tops, The Crossing is very good and his latest, No Country For Old Men is...not so good.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 2:07 am

"the Most of P.G. Wodehouse," by P.G. Wodehouse, without whom there would be no Larry David, no Seinfeld, no "Arrested Development," no AskJeeves.com ...

If you like Freakonomics, read Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink," the followup to "The Tipping Point."
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 2:20 am

I read that one too. That's some hot lizard-girl sex goin' on there!

I felt my stomach drop into my feet when her tail broke off. Realllllllly fucking weird. Captivating book though. What are some other ones like that? I like Eightball and Ice Haven etc, I just don't know much about that whole scene.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 7:24 pm

I just don't know much about that whole scene.

Stray Bullets! Go read some Stray Bullets! by David Lapham.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 7:26 pm

yesterday, my friend kevin gave me his copy of THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, which he found for $1 in a thrift store. i do need some ridiculous summer reading. i think this is going to be it!
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 7:37 pm

Posted: Aug 8, 2006 9:08 pm

What are some other ones like that? I like Eightball and Ice Haven etc, I just don't know much about that whole scene.

Not exactly like C. Burns, but there's a fun graphic novel called "Wimbledon Green: The Greatest Comic Book Collector in the World" by Seth. Substitute records for comics and you'll get the story of 82% of the people here. The Harvey Pekar books are always fun as are any of the Hernandez Bros.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 9:27 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

After doing time as a used record store clerk for nearly 10 yrs of my legal employment life, I know all too well the painful sagas of the various record collector scum/nerds. Comics, though, may be a fresh avenue of enjoyment, so I will check it out. The Portland library has a pretty good corner on these books.
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 9:40 pm

Gotta read the first Eightball extended story if you haven't 'Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron.' The mutant girl who leaves the hero an egg---unnfff. Wish D. Lynch would just suck it up and make this thing. Nah, it'd prolly suck.

'Strya Bullets' is really good. More noir though, not so freaky. 'Yummy Fur' will make you uncomfortable. I miss comics....
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 9:49 pm

Oh yeah, I read all the Eightball stuff, though not "David Boring". I had a couple of issues with that and then stopped reading him period until I checked out Icehaven which I loved.

I miss the Chris Ware series in the NY Times Magazine...I never checked out his collections though I have his second comic ever (one cool thing to come out of living in Chicago circa Its Rise to the Indie Big Top circa 1993/94).
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 9:54 pm

Chris Ware is a crazy genius.

Back to Cormac: 'Outer Dark' is almost as good as 'Blood Meridian.'
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 10:15 pm | Edited by: Fern

"Back to Cormac: 'Outer Dark' is almost as good as 'Blood Meridian.'"

is that the one about the guy that lives under the bridge on the banks of some river somewhere in tenn?
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 12:13 am

I hope they put the NY Times stuff together in a nice book. I am going to check out the Stray Bullets. Report back after my trash reading is over...
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 12:34 am

Not a book, but: I just watched this documentary called "The Stone Reader" about this guy's quest to track down a novelist who published one book in 1972 (to great criticle acclaim) and then just disappeared without a trace.

The guy who made the film is kind of an insufferable geek, but the movie is really great... this sort of nerdy, literary mystery. I rushed out and bought the book after seeing the movie.

Also- I read somewhere that a movie version of "Blood Meridian" is in the works... apparently, Tommy Lee Jones optioned it as soon as (or before) it was published, and has just been waiting for the right cast to come along.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 12:36 am

Also, fiery- check out some of Jason's comics. Nowhere near as overtly freaky as "Black Hole" but totally unsettling in their own right... really, really subtle subtexts.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 12:37 am

Jason...?

(did I miss something above?)
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 1:53 am

Uhhh, yeah, just "Jason"... he's from (I think) Norway, and his stuff- mostly graphic novellas- is published by Fantagraphics in Seattle.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 2:02 am

I read some of Art Pepper's book when I crashed at Jack O's apartment.
Pretty cool read- I certainly like that era in jazz. I just finished Horace Silver's book, Let's Get to the Nitty Gritty, recently. Not essential reading, but good.
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 2:03 am | Edited by: ChrisG

Last year when we had this thread I was recommending Devil in the White City.

I'm not in the middle of anything right now, but the next book I intend to pick up is, The Long Tail, by Chris Anderson. I hear it's a thin book, quick read. At Amazon
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 2:22 am

For those discussing Freakonomics, The Tipping Point and Blink- The Long Tail would be a likely suggested reading. Also, another that I will eventually get around to is The Wisdom of Crowds.
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 10:26 pm

WORLD WAR Z
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 10:28 pm

The Wheel of Time
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 10:29 pm

"Deviant: The Shocking True Story of the Original 'Psycho'" by Harold Schechter. I thought I'd get in the spirit of Halloween by reading up on the notorious killer Ed Gein -- one sick dude.
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 10:30 pm

A Feast of Crows by George RR Martin
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 12:15 am

The Long Tail by Chris Anderson
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 12:42 am

Winter's Tales- Isak Dinesen
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 12:47 am

i just finished The Man With The Golden Arm by Nelson Algren. I'd never read it before and never seen the movie. Great fucking book, Frankie Machine is one of the most desperate characters I've ever read. It's Algren so I wasn't expecting a happy ending or anything but goddamn...
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 2:06 am

i just finished The Man With The Golden Arm by Nelson Algren

I just picked up an early hardback edition of this with a great dust jacket. Man was I happy! "Walk on the Wild Side" is really good too.
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 2:12 am

Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 2:28 am

"A Hog on Ice"
"& Other Curious Expressions"
The origin and development of colorful phrases we all use.
By Charles Funk
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Just finished "The boy Detective Fails" by Joe Meno and it was really good. except the end was a little eh.
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Group Work With Adolescents by Andrew Malekoff
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 5:40 pm

Starting The Third Policeman for the second time....paying closer attention to the footnotes.
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 8:44 pm

discipline and punish by michel foucault. (it's for a class.)
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 4:30 am

The Third Policeman rules.
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 4:39 am

" Ball Four" by Jim Bouton and " Grievous Angel" by Polly Parsons
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 5:06 am

The Possibility of an Island by Michel Houllebecq.
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 7:53 pm

Started reding BANNED IN DC, it looks good.
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 8:33 pm

angels and demons by the divinci code guy. its ok, it passes time on the terlet.
Posted: Oct 22, 2006 10:01 pm

I gotta get back into the third policeman... started it twice...
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 9:13 pm

A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge. 'Cause sometimes, you just need a little space opera in your life.
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 9:29 pm

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer
North Dallas Forty
Pro Football Prospectus 2006
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 11:06 pm

Just finished "A Dysfunctional Success: The Wreckless Eric Manual"
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 1:21 am

The thing about the publishing of The Third Policeman gives away everything with the intro notes. WTF...luckily I dont read introductions. It begins with letters from the author to a friend and if you make the mistake of reading it before you begin it mitigates the great ending. So if you pick it up just read it and after you are finished you'll understand the blunder tyhe publisher made. If you wonder why I would read it twice it's because thewre is a second novel hidden in the footnotes that I have yet to corrrelate to the story itself. Any way just dont read the correspondenses with his bro.....Flann O'Brian
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 3:52 am

Yep. Interesting, original, and definitely challenging, if not a bit pretentious. He has a new book out I think.

I'm reading "Woody Guthrie: A Life" by Joe Klein.
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 4:21 am

Just finished The Little French Girl by Anne Douglas Sedgewick and am now re-reading The Ipcress File by Len Deighton.
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 7:39 am

i am really glad that i've read some books, like the bell jar, after college. It is a much broader perspective that can be applied. I guess you are just learning how to do that in highschool.

I totally agree with this. Take a book like "The Great Gatzby". The chances of some 16 year old actually having met the love of his life, lost her, and then gone through the pangs of depression said loss are pretty slim. Flash forward to yr early 20's and then you can "get it".

Been reading alot lately:

Madame Bovary by Flaubert (do pick up if you like juicy 19th century French scandal + extremely good writing that translates really well)

Where I'm Calling From by Raymond Carver (good short story collection)

Alot of Bukowski's poems (which I'm starting to like)

Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius (which is heavy on the Christian/God tip, but a good pick me up if you are really down and out. Find a newer Oxford translation)

Some other shit...
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 7:41 am

I will also second "Black Hole" by Charles Burns...and I normally hate graphic novels. That one is crazings.
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Re-reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunne. I think it's nearly perfect.
Also just finished The End by Lemony Snicket.
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 4:13 pm

Starting to read "The Legendary Joe Meek: The Telstar Man"
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 4:23 pm

Finally got around to James Ellroy's "White Jazz."
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 4:57 pm

"Woody Guthrie: A Life" by Joe Klein.

One of the best music biographies around. Read in in tandem with Woody's pseudo-autobiography "Bound For Glory". I say pseudo because it reads like a tall tale -- amazing!

Where I'm Calling From by Raymond Carver

One of my favorites of all time. The OSU library has a lot of original writings in their archives. Neat just to admire when you're bored.

I'm on the waiting list for Cormac McCarthy's new one (yeah I know.. other thread). I'm about to start "When the Dancing Stopped: The Real Story of the Morro Castle and it's Deadly Wake". It's about a depression era luxury liner disaster. It's probably going to be really boring but it caught my eye. I've got "Spy: The Funny Years" for backup -- history / compilation of one of the best magazines of the '90s.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 3:03 pm

John O'Hara, "Stories of Venial Sin"

Have New Yorkers really changed so little since the 30's & 40's? All that seems different is a little of the slang, some of the landmarks, and what drugs are fashionable.

(I'm really enjoying this book.)
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 3:07 pm

Bootleg: A History of the Secret Record Industry.

Very interesting at this point. Detailed history of Rubber Dubber and Trade Mark of Quality labels. Plus, why they did it and how the industry tried to take care of it/them.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Bootleg: A History of the Secret Record Industry.

i loved this book.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:53 pm

angels and demons by the divinci code guy. its ok, it passes time on the terlet.

Dan Brown has surpassed Stephen King as the lord of Airport Lit.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:59 pm

praise of folly - erasmus
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:01 pm

rome hibbert
the park and the people hist of central park
selected poems robert creeley
looking for for spinoza damasio
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:01 pm

I'll sleep when I'm dead : the dirty life and times of Warren Zevon
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:04 pm | Edited by: saispas

The Short Stories of Frank Norris

Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History of Disco
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:48 pm

It's also the scariest horror story I've ever read.

No shit. It's probably the only book I've ever started and not finished. I don't even remember what it was that scared me, but I don't feel like finding out.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:58 pm | Edited by: michael baker

i have no idea what is the scariest book i have ever read

i sweated during Karamazov; no fan of king's but salem's lot was pretty scary; The Monk was eerie; getting e mails from bazooka joe often sends shivers

the funniest?

no contest
3 men in a boat
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 9:04 pm

I just read
Redemption Song
The Ballad of Joe Strummer
by Chris Salewicz
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 9:06 pm

Madame Bovary by Flaubert (do pick up if you like juicy 19th century French scandal + extremely good writing that translates really well)

One of my Top 10 reads.

What is the scary book y'all are talking about?
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 9:30 pm

created in darkness by troubled americans: the best of mcsweeny's humor
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®