Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / I met Cheap Trick last night
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 2:48 pm

...at a local WAL-MART. They were doing a signing for their new album, which they made you buy. But, I was also able to get my "In Color" gatefold signed. I was wearing my Big Star shirt, and they were making comments about it that I couldn't tell if they were supposed to be joking or insulting. Rick Nielsen said, "You are more clever than Alex Chilton", and I said I took that as a compliment, then one of 'em said "You ARE Alex Chilton! Thanks for lettin' us play that one song you wrote!", and I was like "Yeah, no problem, I just wish you wouldn'a changed that line about smokin' weed though." Overall a pretty surreal experience. Their new album ain't half bad either.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 3:42 pm

Rick Nielsen is part owner in a brewpub I used to work at (Piece, in Chicago) -- he always seemed very down to earth, kinda quite, never drank, always had a silly little hat on.... and used to bring us really good potato chips made in his hometown.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 3:58 pm

So was the Big Star shirt premeditated? If I had to guess, I'd say yes.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 4:11 pm

Rick Nielson is co-owner of Piece on North Ave??
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 4:11 pm

I wasn't meaning to be snarky. I just realized. Sorry.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 4:12 pm

So was the Big Star shirt premeditated? If I had to guess, I'd say yes.
Yeah, it totally was. I was hoping they would see it and invite me into backstage or offer to play my birthday party.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 4:13 pm

No snarkiness detected. I have a pretty thick skull.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 4:14 pm

Todd,
Yes,...Ya did'nt know?
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 4:30 pm

Rick Nielsen is ONE of a couple of owners. He doesn't have anything to do with the day-to-day operations, but I gathered that he loves being a part of it. I'm not in Chicago any more but I still do some long distance work for Piece and it sounds like Rick is Rick and still stops in whenever he is in the city. His 5-necked guitar is on display there too.

(Piece also just won "Champion Small Brewpub of the Year" at the World Beer Cup. It's probably the more impressive award they could ever win.)
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 4:35 pm

yeah didn't any of you see Rachael Ray's tasty travels where she hangs out with Rick Nielsen at Piece? It was choice. She was all over him.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 5:27 pm

My wife's uncle is one of his best buddies. He really wanted me to meet Rick and bothered him to drop by his house. I was intrigued, but it was embarassing for them to go through all the bother. I'm not even a fan. He brought a picture of himself posing in his basement with all of his guitars, signed it, gave it to me and got on about his day. I chucked the picture.

His kid showed me all of the guitars down in the basement once. It's ridiculous. I kept thinking about how it wouldn't make much difference if I stole just one.

Said uncle has a coffee table book about Rick and all of his guitars. It's full of arrogant bullshit about how much he contributed to rock n' roll. He seems like a toolbag. I hear Bun E. Carlos can't stand him, either.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 5:51 pm

Rachel Ray looks like she is stoned as a rat during that episode with Rick Nielson......he's got sunglasses on but she is so high.......the way she tucked into a chocolate desert pizza really gave it away
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 8:17 pm

[b]Rick Nielsen is part owner in a brewpub I used to work at (Piece, in Chicago) -- he always seemed very down to earth, kinda quite, never drank...

I guess he won't be drinking his profits. How does he know he has a good product? 'Cause of some award? That's just strange. Hopefully for his sake the other owners have a honest beer gut.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 8:23 pm

A friend of mine's girlfriend once had sex with Robin Zander. Also I met a girl who was from Rockford, Ill. whose father is friends with Robin Zander. She said she can usually get on the guest list when they come through town.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 8:24 pm

I thought he was a cool dude for a rock n roll "legend". I mean, he was very amenable to being photographed with me (by Kristi Yamaguchi no less) at a party where he was just hanging out. He is always "on"--he was wearing a Cheap Trick gold guitar pick lapel pin and a "My lead singer is better looking than your lead singer" t shirt (likely true). he has a hot Swedish wife and hot half Swedish sons.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 8:39 pm

But, I was also able to get my "In Color" gatefold signed.

That's great! I was under the impression they were ONLY signing copies of the new album.

"My lead singer is better looking than your lead singer" t shirt (likely true)

that's awesome! yeah, Robin Zander is still sexy as hell.

i don't know first hand or anything, but all those guys seem like they would be pretty down to earth. like i said, i have no idea or anything.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 8:45 pm

that's awesome! yeah, Robin Zander is still sexy as hell

uh, i don't know if you saw them on Conan...but he is getting PUFF-EEE!!
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 8:47 pm

Yeah, he is getting puffy...but on good days and when he wears black...he looks good for a blonde of his age.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 8:57 pm

i didn't see 'em on conan. saw them play last august, but was really far away. . . the time before that a couple years we got up close and yup, still sexy.

i'll take your (both) word on it though.
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 9:17 pm

Bun E. Carlos still digs the herb. I hear Robin Zander's daughter is a fox. Who cares how there are as people. They wrote some of the best rock songs ever!
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 9:30 pm

I hear Robin Zander's daughter is a fox.

what's her band called again? if they still even play. . .
Posted: Jun 8, 2006 9:33 pm

I know Rick Nielsen's kids also had/have a band. I asked them what they were like (they were playing House of Blues the night after this silly party) and they said, "Led Zeppelin". HA!
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 1:15 am

and when a rockstar whips it out, you take it TO THE FUKIN' BALLS
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 1:17 am

what's her band called again? if they still even play

eeks, i forget but they opened for them one time when i saw them play in Rockford... t'was LAME
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 2:09 am

I believe one of Neilson's sons is in this lame Chicago local band I acidentally saw once. They were like Toad the Wet Sprocket or something. But Piece is a great place... and sells Connecticut style pizza! Makes me feel at home.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 2:20 pm

How does he know he has a good product? 'Cause of some award? That's just strange. Hopefully for his sake the other owners have a honest beer gut.

Just to clarify, the pub has a brewer who comes up with all of the recipes. The owners let him brew whatever he wants and HE's the one responsible for quality of beer. I don't think it's so strange for a couple non-brewers to open a brewpub and hire a great brewer (who used to work for Sierra Nevada) to take care of the "beer" side of things.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 3:56 pm

Holland Zander is in the Snaggs.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 6:54 pm

My friend worked at a record store that Robin Zander used to come into on occasion. He started talking to my friend and the owner's wife while checking out once, and I guess the owner's wife made some snide comment about him being "washed up" or whatever, and he never came back. My friend thought this was very ironic-meeting his hero and then having the boss make fun of him...kinda shitty.
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 6:59 pm

What kind of jackass that's involved in a record store would make fun of a member of Cheap Trick?
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 10:02 pm

I think she listened to hip hop or something. I guess she probably thought "The Flame" was their starting point, and lumped them in with the hair metal bands of the 80's, Whitesnake, whatever. Alot of people think this about Cheap Trick, and need to have shit shown/explained to them. Whoops. Bad decade...
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 10:06 pm

all this talk of cheap trick... and an autographed copy of "Dream Police" comes walking in the door! And Spinal Tap lp! and a bunch of weird early 70s girl-pop Japanese singles.

WEIRD!
Posted: Jun 9, 2006 11:23 pm

what in dee fuck is connecticut style pizza?

and Tom the bass player is waaaay hotter than Robin, still
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 2:47 am

What kind of jackass
Fresh Prince of Belair
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 2:56 am

what in dee fuck is connecticut style pizza?

i can't be positive -- because the pizza in CT (near Yale, or even in Mystic - ie: the movie "mystic pizza") seemed like normal pizza to me -not chicago style (thick crust and/or stuffed), but more like NY pizza - thin crust, coal oven cooked

i saw the snaggs w/ holland zander. yes they are LAME, but i guess she's kind of cute. she channels robert plant way more than she is like her dad, as a front-person that is. i can't stress how LAME her songs are
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:00 am

so ctzza is not all chock full of nutmeg?
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:04 am

not that i remember.
but nutmeg would only make itself apparent if there was too much of it - otherwise, its that "hmm... nice touch; what could it be?" ingredient
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:08 am

I thought that was cinnamon?

ny pizza's alright, chcicago pizza's alright
ct pizza just seems a little weird
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:08 am

Well, it's not CT but more specifically New Haven style pizza. In New Haven there's 2 famous pizza places, Sally's and Pepe's. They both make this Naplese style pizza... super thin crispy crust, thin layer of zesty sauce and sprinkled with romano (NOT mozzerella) cheese. I like it with sweet Italian sausage. It's very simple and authentic. Frank Sinatra used to rent out Sally's for weekends when he came to CT. I asked one of the owners of Piece who's from CT and he said their recipe is an imitation of Pepe's.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:09 am

And that nutmeg comment was probably more insightful than you thought Mark Beef.... CT is "the nutmeg state". Well, now it's known as "the constitution state" because the story behind the "nutmeg state" thing was rather embarassing.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:11 am

But pizza in CT outside of "New Haven style" (meaning just Pepes or Sally's) is pretty boring... medium crust and no choice about that. And Theresa, many of the pizza places are owned by Greeks! The Greek places are known to be greasier than the Italian owned ones.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:17 am

the pizza at piece is mainly why i bother to show up in wicker park early to see a show at the subterranian. good micro beer over all, but pabst or old style is on tap too.
now i've got a hankering to get some before the spits show.....
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:22 am

I actually knew that Nadine, I just pretend to be a moron on the internet occassionally
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:38 am

I just listened to a couple of songs from the new album on CheapTrick.com, and this shit SUCKS.
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:39 am

go watch "Up The Creek" again
and then "Up the Academy"
and then UP!
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:40 am

Sorry Mr Beef, I always just assume that no one would know anything about my pitiful little home state. Hell, even I left it!
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:42 am

And Theresa, many of the pizza places are owned by Greeks! The Greek places are known to be greasier than the Italian owned ones.

well, you know, we have to do everything MORE.... more is MORE
Posted: Jun 10, 2006 3:44 am

I coulda said "the Greek places are know to be Greecier" haw haw
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®