Theme song to Married with Children
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 8:17 pm

Classic Rock...
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 8:17 pm

Duran Duran
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 8:22 pm

Blood Sweat and Tears
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 8:22 pm | Edited by: Shawn Carpetbagger

I remember that summer when every dirtbag kid had that Guns n' Roses jean vest.

Beetle Bailey really does look silly with his fat face and hair plug dreads, doesn't he?
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 8:24 pm

The Monkees...
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 8:25 pm

Tom Dash, you thought right.
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 8:25 pm | Edited by: Large Marge

yeah, I remember that (jacket)..I was soooo jealous. Appetite was the 2nd cassette tape I saved up to buy myself. the first was: a Beatles collection, I still have the Beatles tape, w/ no case.
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 8:38 pm

Faith No More (even had the Mike Patton long hair with "steps" underneath)
Metallica
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 8:45 pm

KISS (esp kiss alive II)
ac/dc
the doors
skynard and most any kind of freedom rock
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 9:08 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

70's AM Radio Pop (e.g. "Undercover Angel"; "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night"; "Do You Wanna Make Love Or Do You Just Wanna Fool Around", etc.)
Linda Ronstadt
Kiss
Styx (especially "Come Sail Away" and "Lady")
Heart ("Magic Man" and "Crazy on You")
Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack
Disco version of the "Star Wars" theme
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 9:09 pm

"Appetite"
BTO
Tom Petty
hahaahaha
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 9:11 pm

mc hammer
vanilla ice
cnc music factory
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 9:30 pm

Styx
Hall and Oates
The Police ( but I still like them)
Olivia Newton John
Survivor
oh god and how could I forget ASIA
I would tape the songs off the radio too.
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 9:34 pm

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Herman Brood (Dutch r'n'r legend), Deep Purple, the Doors and Lou Reed

KRISS KROSS

Totally Krossed Out, biths

Oh, and UB40
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 10:01 pm

that "blessed the rains down in Africa" song by Toto and "take these broken wings" by Mr. Mister.

those songs STILL rule.
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 10:04 pm

"blessed the rains down in Africa" song by Toto

oh my god, i love this song.

and juice newton's "queen of hearts" is right up there.
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 10:05 pm

Glass Tiger
Cyndi Lauper
Bryan Adams
Michael Jackson
Tina Turner
Eurythmics/Annie Lennox
Doug & the Slugs
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 10:34 pm

Beatles
Aerosmith
Micheal Jackson
Leonard Bernstein
Chopin
Nancy Sinatra
bird calls
Candlebox
Body Count
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 10:43 pm

Beatles
Kiss
AC/DC
Elton John
Pink Floyd
The Doors
Led Zep
Rolling Stones

and - My fave song to roller skate to at the rink was Ironman by Black Sabbath. I was really into roller skating. Wow, I was quite the little hesher, wasn't I? Must have been because I hung out with older kids and the DJ at the Rink.

http://www.powerandvolume.com/july1979.jpg
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 10:46 pm

Prince
Michael Jackson
Duran Duran
Culture Club
Cindy Lauper
Madonna
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 10:51 pm

My fave song to roller skate to at the rink was Ironman by Black Sabbath.

wow. i don't ever remember black sabbath being played at the roller rink. your roller rink was far superior to my roller rink. er, i guess i was going to the roller rink in 1989 and not 1979 though.
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 11:12 pm

wow. i don't ever remember black sabbath being played at the roller rink
I was roller skating in the mid-late 70's, too, and no rink I ever attended played Sabbath! We felt lucky to hear "Cold as Ice" or "Hot Child in the City".
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 11:15 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Sabbath, Judas Priest, AC/DC, ZZ TOP, Yardbirds, Doors, Stones, Black Flag, NY Dolls, Elvis Costello, Van Halen, Blondie, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Hendrix, Ramones, Kinks Pretenders, B-52's, Bowie, X and punk or decent new wave that slipped through the cracks via SNL, Night Flight, and Don Kirschner.
Posted: Jun 6, 2006 11:25 pm

I was roller skating in the mid-late 70's, too, and no rink I ever attended played Sabbath! We felt lucky to hear "Cold as Ice" or "Hot Child in the City".

I dunno - it was a regular at the place I went to, which I think was called Stardust. Usually the first song after the slow couples skate. A couple of years later, my fave song at the Roller Rink was Tainted Love. (1981 or so... let's see, I was probably 12)
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 12:08 am

billy joel - though I still hold a special place for him and don't deny that he's a musical influence on me - Glass Houses still rules!!
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 1:11 am

KISS and AC/DC! I don't believe I've made any progress since then. "I Learned all I know , by the age of 9"-Lux Interior
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 1:13 am

Bay City Rollers. I'm oooooold
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 1:38 am

AC/DC

Their pre-Brian Johnson albums are actually very good. Hell, Back in Black is even pretty good. I fucking HATE the whole "thunderstuck era" though. Bon Scott must have turned over in his puke-filled grave when they released that shit-bomb.
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 1:43 am

Does anybody out there have the boxed c.d. BON FIRE? I would like to hear it...
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 2:31 am

Does anybody out there have the boxed c.d. BON FIRE? I would like to hear it...

I don't have the boxed set, but I have all of the Bon Scott era albums. What do you want?
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 2:49 am

I'm not that good with computers, but you can e-mail the cream of the crop to...tomchevalier@msn.com....jaiiiiiiiiiillllll break...
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 2:57 am

Sweet, BTO, Ohio Players, "Kung Fu Fighting", Rose Royce, Heart, the Rolling Stones, Steve Miller....Ah, good ol' CKLW.
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 3:19 am

Disco Disco Disco.
Shawn Cassidy.
The Beatles.
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 3:21 am

I got 5 tapes for a penny when I was 10.

Prince "Purple Rain"
John Cougar Mellencamp "Uh-Huh"
Cars "Heartbeat City"
Van Halen "1984"
Weird Al Yankovic "In 3D"
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 3:26 am

I got 5 tapes for a penny when I was 10.
...to quote Bret Micheals, "You know you have made it when you make it into the Columbia House records & tapes blah blah blah.....
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 3:31 am

I pulled scams tih Columbia House and BMG, I would send out for the 10 free CDs, under 5 different fake names that lived in my house. I did this when I was 12 or so. Once they started sending tons of letters to the house, I hand wrote them a letter saying I didn't have a clue what they were talking about...I never got another letter....That shit might still work. That's how I jump started my cd collection in a matter of days!
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 3:36 am

...from the product I noticed, it was always inferior to the cassette you would pay for (or shoplift) at K-mart. The case it came in was always flimsy, plus there was never much of any inlay whatever...
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 3:45 am

never ordered the cassettes, the cds were basically the same from what I noticed, except the UPC CODE was a funky BMG upc...
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 5:38 am

I found these awesome 45's around my house and I'd play them on my little record player in my room, and they blew my mind: "HOT PANTS" by James Brown, "Gitarzan" and "Ahab the Arab" by Ray Stevens, "When You're Hot You're Hot" by Jerry Reed, "Polk Salad Annie" by Tony Joe White, "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond, "Brand New Key" by Melanie, and "Spinning Wheel" by Blood, Sweat & Tears. And those songs STILL rock my world.

As far as on the radio, I was into Hall & Oates and all the disco stuff, i.e. "Disco Inferno" and the Bee Gees, Earth, Wind & Fire...and ELO was the *shit*. I still dig that stuff. And "Sultans of Swing" was a huge turn-on, and my absolute favorite song that I could not get enough of when I was 12 was "MY SHARONA" by the Knack. I also loved the "Off the Wall" LP, when Michael Jackson still had a nose.
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 5:46 am

i'm scared to try to remember what i liked at that age, as i am quite sure it was probably something wretched, seeing how it was 1987-1989 when i was between those ages. i know that michael jackson and guns n roses and poison would be on that list for certain. and i think dirty dancing came out around then and i was obsessed with that movie's soundtrack and hence got into otis redding and solomon burke because of it. especially solomon burke. i went nuts on that and tried to find stuff of him because "cry to me" was amazing to me then. still is. heh.
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 5:49 am

Elvis
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 6:12 am

I was totally into metal when i was 10-11, first tape i ever bought was
Twisted sister "stay hungry". After that got into early motley crue, ozzy,
iron maiden... every kid in the neighborhood had a mullet with those
black sleeve t-shirt of bands.
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 6:57 am

CULTURE CLUB--We had a mock presidential election at my elementary school in '84 and I wrote in 'Boy George'. Needless to say he didn't win and I still believe that America was worse off for it.

-Ryan
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 8:06 am

I pretty much started listening to The Eat and Crime when I was 10ish. But then I got all romantic and shit and grew my hair out and got into power pop when I was 11...I dunno brah's. I'm so coolllllllllllllll.
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 1:21 pm

tomchevalier@msn.com

What AC/DC stuff do you already have?
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 2:44 pm

I was in a HC band when I was 8, we were called Adderall Youth....after that I started a synth punk band when I was 9, we were really influenced by the Screamers and Rock Bottom and the Spys...I guess we were like the precursor to the Lost Sounds.

I can remember me and my friends coming home after elementary school and watching Decline of Western Civ while mom made us cookies. She did make me wash my mouth out with soap after I told my 4th grade teacher that she spits as good as she sucks.
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 3:02 pm

The first three cassettes I purchased:

Bangles "Different Light"
George Harrison "Cloud Nine"
Top Gun soundtrack
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 5:27 pm

I was really into Elvis, and general 50's rnr. My mom had garbage bags of 45's in the basement, all scratched up, and I'd play those all the time. Tutti Frutti, Leader of the Pack, Down in the boondocks... that kinda 50's rock/60's dramapop.

As a kid, I always got hip to music from movies. I actually paid money for the Howard the Duck OST LP. I remember looking for the Ferris Bueller soundtrack to get Twist and Shout, not knowing it was the Beatles!
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 7:08 pm

Top Gun soundtrack

this is actually one of the highest selling albums ever!

makes me think of Maverick & Goose, greased up and playin' some volleyball with sand stuck to their slippery an sweaty muscular pecks.
Hi-fivin' on the hot steamy beach.
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 7:21 pm

vanilla ice
new kids on the block
madonna
cyndi lauper
michael jackson
george michael
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 8:59 pm

Barry Manilow
Michael Jackson
The Star Wars Soundtrack
Duran Duran
Kenny Logins

I had no one to guide me at that tender age.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 6:11 am

79-81

From age 9 to 11... At age nine I was already over Kiss (my older step brother and his friends ridiculed me for owning Kiss. I still remember them saying "Kiss is not Rock-N-Roll, this is Rock-N-Roll..." and then putting on Led Zepplin)... I was raiding my mother's music, then what my older step brother introduced me to, whatever Rock 103 played, and then there was East End skating rink. By '81 I discovered DEVO, started listening to some 'new wave' music, and was hearing rumors of the "punk rock" thing. Over the next two years everything changed.

The Beatles
Little Richard
Chubby Checker
Chuck Berry
Fats Domino
Elvis
Elton John
Bread
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
Fleetwood Mac
ABBA
AC/DC
Queen
The Cars
The Knack
Cheap Trick
Blondie
DEVO

And there were songs at that time I got into by bands I wasn't really into:
The Silvers- Boogie Fever
KC & The Sunshine Band- Boogie Shoes
Nick Gilder- Hot Child in the City
M- Pop Muzic
Gerry Rafferty- Baker Street
Gary Numan- Cars
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 7:54 am

i was 9 in 1966
luckily that was the best ever year for music
pet sounds
revolver
blonde on blonde
i still listen to those records and still think the beach boys, beatles and bob dylan RULE
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 8:23 am

did i mention the King, Elvis
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 9:19 am

Yeah, it would have to be ABBA...or Barry White.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 10:22 am

I discovered Olivia Newton John and Masturbation.
Pretty much within weeks of each other.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 10:56 am | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

When I was 9-11, we didn't have record player and I really didn't care much for rock& roll at that point. These were some of my big faves:
Johnny Horton(half a decade dead by that point) "Battle of New Orleans"
Doris Day "Deadwood Stage" -( Gay as hell to like this,I know ,but I thought it rocked)
The McCoys "Hang on Sloopy"
New Vaudeville Band "Winchester Cathedral"
Roger Miller "Dang Me"
Flatt & Scruggs "Pearl,Pearl, Pearl"
Bobby Hebb "Sunny"
Robert Mitchum " Ballad of Thunder Road"
Lorne Green "Ballad of Ringo"
Royal Guardsmen " Snoopy VS Red Baron"
Peggy Lee " Siamese Cat Song"
I WAS intrigued by the Rolling Stones . They seemed to be on TV constantly unlike The Beatles . The Stones were on Red Skelton show a lot which we watched religiously. But what really got my interest in them is that whenever they came on the radio in the car ,my mother started cussin'. "Ugly sonsabitches!"
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 3:28 pm

oh yeah, BOSTON

oh my gawd brad that makes me LAFF! esp. since you kick my ass about blondie - they're from the same era

"more than a feeling"
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 3:42 pm

GNR
Dead Milkmen (that music was made for 11 year olds)
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 3:44 pm

Slade. T. Rex. Alice Cooper. Basically, whoever was on the cover of Circus magazine at the time.

I also thought Brain Salad Surgery was pretty neat.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 4:08 pm

dirty dancing soundtrack
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 6:46 pm

dirty dancing soundtrack

I think that was my dad's favorite album when I was 11, but his taste has only gotten worse since then.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 6:50 pm

the dirty dancing soundtrack wasn't *all* terrible. like i said, solomon burke was on it. however, i can definitely have done without patrick swayze's attempt at being a poetic sensitive songwriter. gay. or that eric carmen vile wretch of a song, hungry eyes. once again, gay.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 7:59 pm

What the fuck is so funny about "More Than A Feeling"? That song rulez. You fagz make me want to hide in my music and forget the day.
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 9:15 pm

Solomon Burke huh?
O.K., that's cool but I never would have known that 'cause I didn't get into King Solomon until many years after the very last time I heard the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 4:40 am

According the Nolan (my almost 7 year old) 'Freakout' by the Black Lips is "the top 5 songs ever made!!!"
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 5:41 am

for my eleventh birthday (1991) my mother bought me 3 tapes: nirvana nevermind, c&c music factory, bel biv devoe. at 11 i loved them all.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 6:02 am

asia
duran duran
atlanta rhythm section
billy joel
blondie
pat benatar
kiss
i also had the grease soundtrack.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 6:03 am

What the fuck is so funny about "More Than A Feeling"?

watching that dude sing it on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, for starters
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 12:02 pm

KISS
VAN HALEN
STYX "pieces of 8"track

KISS
GARY NUMAN "cars" 7"
QUEEN "flash" 7"
THE KNACK "my sharona" 7"
BLONDIE "Rapture" 7"
ROLLING STONES "Emotional Rescue" 8 track
STYX "paradise theatre" 7"

KISS
RUSH "Tom Sawyer" 7"
THE WHO "You Better You Bet 7"
AC/DC
BILLY SQUIER "The Stroke" 7"
FOREIGNER "4"
ROLLING STONES "start me up" 7"
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 8:32 pm

It's the song, not the singer.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 8:44 pm

Ramones
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 8:53 pm

It's the song, not the singer.

well, when you watch something doofy it all comes off bad, the song, the singer, the songwriter (in boston's case, tom scholz)
they took their music WAY too seriously for what it was

the combination of the parts of boston equalled for me everything wrong w/ music... and every reason why i liked punk rock
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 9:42 pm

Understood. You have to admit, though, that now in retrospect there's something freakishly awesome about that ridiculous Boston album cover art. It's hard now to look at those and realize that they were a band who took themselves so seriously.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 9:44 pm

I do think the concept of a dude going to MIT to make crazy music eqipment is neat. But then again, I know people that never went to college that do that, too, so....
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 9:45 pm

I have a standard I tell people I use when asked if I like Boston, Asia, Kansas, Journey, Chicago, REO Speedwagon, etc.
I tell them I don't like any bands named after a place or how to get there.
Yes, that includes Jefferson Airplane/Starship.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 10:16 pm

some of ya'll are wrong about boston. the only reason they really released an album was because they had bills to pay, they were not expecting to make a career out of it. in fact they had no intention of releasing a second album, but CBS basically forced them to. thats why there was a two year wait in tween albums, which was a long time back then. no pun intended. they were a decent band. stood out from a lot of the stuff coming out back then. orion the hunter...now THERE was a band.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 10:32 pm | Edited by: Mullett

9 to 11 would have been Sept. 1976 to Sept 1979.

Kiss was big for me 'cause I was attracted to shiny objects & Gene Simmons was the only major celebrity I knew with my name (except for Genes Littler & Sarazen, golfers, & game show stud, Gene Rayburn) & he could breathe fire. My dad took my brother & I to my 1st show ever which was Kiss in Dec. 1979.

I bought the Ramones record probably some time around there. I never thought they were a punk band. For me, they were a rock band that dressed the way I would dress if I was in a rock band.

Was big into whatever the folks liked, what we heard on CKLW out of Windsor or WIOT out of Toledo. Mom was into Elvis & even though I appreciate him very much now, I hated him at the time. I just thought of it as old shit my mom listened to. Too bad.

Folks - Sonny & Cher, Carpenters, Herb Alpert, Sergio Mendes, Boz Skaggs

Radio - Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Beatles, etc...
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:59 pm

9 to 11 was all new wave for me except
- Cliff Richard
- George Harrison
- John Lennon
- Moody Blues (Long Distance Voyager)
- Rolling Stones (Emotional Rescue/Tattoo You)
- the obligatory CANCON of Rush, Triumph, Goddo, April Wine, Prism, Rough Trade, and Red Rider

and the top 40 I heard repeatedly on that silly in-flight music channel on an Eastern Airlines trip to Orlando (pre-EPCOT)
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 9:30 pm

Germs & Dead Boys
Little Walter & Howlin Wolf

I was weird. And GnR of course! Yeah, not a lots changed...
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:15 pm

boston. the only reason they really released an album was because they had bills to pay, they were not expecting to make a career out of it.

and you don't find that supremely outrageous? like they had bills to pay but instead of getting/ keeping straight jobs, investing, all kinds of sure-fire ways to make money and pay bills, they opted for a RISK - releasing a record, hoping it would sell. they KNEW they'd have a HIT? that it would be viable.

that takes SOME BALLS

whatever.........i hated that music.
hookorcrook
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 10:24 pm

1984-86 ...mostly taped songs off B100 (80s San Diego top 40 station) and comedy.

huey lewis & the news "sports"
tracy ullman "you broke my heart in 17 places"
genesis "invisible touch"
poison "look what the cat dragged in"
falco 3
david lee roth "eat em and smile"
dead milkmen "big lizard in my backyard"
weird al- everything
billy idol "whiplash smile"
bangles "different light"
the doors
dr. demento lps
stand by me soundtrack
lots of my dad's comedy lps i understood like half of, like steve martin, watergate comedy hour, cheech & chong, lemmings, martin mull, tapes of the parody songs from "Funny Song Friday" on B100's B Morning Zoo etc.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 11:15 pm

I don't like Boston, never have and never will. But I do admire their formula. They crossed Led Zeppelin with the Raspberries and hit the jackpot. They weren't dummies, they knew what they were doing.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 4:00 am

11 i was reading thrasher and skateboarding so i had pretty good taste by then (i think ) beastie boys where gods to me back then
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 4:01 am

ramones too up all night was the shit
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®