Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / How hard is it to re-finish a guitar?
Posted: May 25, 2006 9:00 pm

has anyone tried? i've stripped wood before, but not with the amount of paint and polyurethane type crap a guitar gets layered with.
Posted: May 26, 2006 12:49 am

The poly coat is the problem. I tried to strip a Fender Lead II back in the 80's and I NEVER got all the paint off.
Posted: May 26, 2006 2:44 am

My brother had a true classic Gibson "The Paul" (not Les Paul) that he had refinished - painted, new hardware, etc. He later learned that what he had done to the guitar had reduced its value by like 2/3. Here's what it looked like before he fucked with it:

http://www.mikigakki.com/img_system/LA6-9_1
Posted: May 26, 2006 3:20 am

use a wire brush attachment for a drill, or a very thick rough grain electric sander. After it comes off use a finer grain sandpaper to smoothe it out. Not too difficult.
Posted: May 26, 2006 5:22 am

He later learned that what he had done to the guitar had reduced its value by like 2/3

yeah, i'm not fucking with anything good. i'm just thinking about stripping a squire telecaster. i've got the $2000+ guitar locked up, guarded by a monkey.
Posted: May 26, 2006 8:33 am

i did the same with a squire as described above: rough sandpaper on an electric sander then did the inside curves by hand then finished it all off with fine paper. i coated it with danish oil and it looks tops.
Posted: May 26, 2006 12:37 pm

stripping it is the easy part.....re finishing is the hard part.....unless you just want to change colors and don't care what the finish looks like....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®