Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / scumbagging cross eastern europe
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:17 pm

me & a couple friends are flying in and out of berlin in august. we've got two weeks to travel around and we wanna go into some of the lesser known eastern european cities. anybody have experience travelling around out that way & have recommendations? looking for cool sights and drunk hospitable people. any insight on germany would be awesome too.
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:19 pm

There's this great brothel in the Ukraine... sixteene, what's that city called?
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:24 pm

Your mom's house?
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:26 pm

No, she's Rumanian.
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:27 pm

I'm sorry, that was stupid. Not even funny.
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:34 pm

It really wasn't marion.
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:48 pm

I had a friend who fell in love with the city of České Budějovice in Bohemia (Czech Republic)....it's where they brew Budvar beer....the original Budweiser.
Said it was a very hip place and the beer was like a nickel for a gallon or so........poor guy got drunk and was run over by a chicken truck.
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:48 pm

I made up the chicken truck part...........
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:50 pm

Said it was a very hip place and the beer was like a nickel for a gallon or so........poor guy got drunk and was run over by a chicken truck.

Rad, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for! And Romania is on my list too. I heard some good things about Bucharest.
Posted: May 25, 2006 9:12 pm

I need your address to send the invoice to......it won't be much......
Posted: May 25, 2006 9:24 pm

Posted: May 25, 2006 9:25 pm

Posted: May 25, 2006 9:28 pm

Yeah, the CzechRepublic is pretty cool... I spent two weeks in Prague a few years ago. Starting to get really touristy, but we spent a little time in this town about an hour east of there called Hutna Kora (sp?) that was pretty cool. Very tiny town, the only tourist attraction being this crazy church made out of human bones. The story goes that when the plague hit, they ran out of space in the graveyards,so they built this "bone church" in out of the people they couldn't fit underground. The church itself is in the middle of the a graaveyard.

The train ride from Berlin to Prague is really beautiful. It might be worth it to stop in Dresden for a day of checking out all the bombed-out gothic architecture. Prague itself was one of the few eastern European cities not bombed to shit during the world wars, and has some of the craziest Gothic buildings I've everseen. Prague Castle is insane! There's also a very small Mucha museum (Mucha was the father of art Nouveau and was Czech)... really cool.

The hostel we stayed at is called the Clown and Bard, and is a super cool, non-touristy (but still central and closeto everything) 'hood called Ziskov. It was about $8 US for a bed in the dorm. They've got a great, cheap little basement bar. Also, who knows if it's still there, around the corner was a really cool bar run by an old rocker from Ohio. The bartender was from Portland, which was really strange, 'cuz the first time I walked in he was playing all this mid-90's Portland indie rock.
Posted: May 26, 2006 1:12 am

It's Kutna Hora, where the bone church is. DEFINITELY worth a visit. It's only about a half-hour from Prague on the train, and then an easy walk to the church, which is amazing. Chandeliers made of human bones, thousands and thousands of bones everywhere, stacked up into flawless pyramids, and the cemetery is creepy and beautiful. You can stay at a nice little hotel right down the street and go into the cemetery at night: there are tiny oil lamps burning everywhere.
Posted: May 26, 2006 1:29 am

Before I kick the bucket I would like to go to Prague. A friend of mine has been there a couple of times. I was in awe of the pictures of the Tyn. Plus my grandfather was half Bohemian...
Posted: May 26, 2006 1:40 am

A buddy of mine lived in in Germany for a couple years. He had a crazy and good lookin' East German girlfriend. For a guy that looks like him, it was a pretty good arrangement. He moved to Prague for a couple more years after dumping her and would email me about the dildo shows he would go see at some stripclubs or something. Now he lives in Wyoming. It's true!
Posted: May 26, 2006 6:19 am

get ready for some heavy artillery hits coming in as layers of second hand smoke, take your radiation badges too. if your in a muslin center, buy a piece, you'll need it if the bandits attack the trains..
Posted: May 26, 2006 3:32 pm

You were asking for the "lesser known" European cities : you should definitely check out some of the Hungarian cities : Debrecen, Kekskemet, Szombately, there's plenty, and when you're there visit Budapest as well. Eastern Slovakia has big contrasts. It can be very beautiful and friendly but also a little threatening : be prepared for some 3rd world experience when you're in gypsy territory.
Posted: May 26, 2006 3:33 pm

But I realise that's "central europe", not eastern europe : Rumania, Bulgaria, Albania and the rest of the Balkans are even more savage.
Posted: May 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Thanks everyone ... this is way helpful. I'm leaning towards sticking to central Europe now and hitting up Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Austria. Now I need to figure out what's the best way to get around ... rent a car or go by train? Which is cheaper?
Posted: May 27, 2006 12:17 am

rent a car or go by train? Which is cheaper?

If you're 3-4 people, car rental will be cheaper. Car rental prices in some countries can be much cheaper than others, so do some research.

If you still wanna go by train check out the eurorail passes : http://www.eurail.com/
Posted: May 27, 2006 1:57 am

You might have to take a train into the Czech Republic before you rent a car. A lot of western European car rental places won't let you take their cars into central/eastern Europe, and if they do, they often charge extra. That's only if you're completely honest with them...

I can't wait to get back to that part of the world. I plan on going to Croatia, Romania, Estonia, Bulgaria, Hungary, etc. next spring on my (planned) year-long 'round-the-world sojurn.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:04 am

So my trip got pushed back but I'm leaving in a week. Narrowed it down to Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Zagreb, and some Croatian islands. I think I got the touristy stuff covered from travel books, but if anyone can point me towards things like cool bars with good music or any obscure shit that wouldn't be listed in the books, that's what I'm really needing. Or if anyone knows of any shows happening in those cities between Sep 1st & 19th, that'd help too!
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:09 am

eric h - i have a friend who has spent the better part of the last 18 months slumming around e. europe teaching english.... czech republich, hungary, etc
if you want, i can introduce you two via email... if you wanna email me, i can do the intro - or just give you this guy's info

theresa@punkturns30.com
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:03 pm

Perfect, email sent ... thanks Theresa!
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Shit. DIdn't anybody see that movie Hostel?
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:20 pm

Eric H and Joe - keep me posted on your travels 'cuz I can't wait to get back there either. First, though, I wanna go to Japan, then South America as I've never been there...then I have to get back to Melbourne again...shit, I was talking about the same thing to one of the girls I work with who traveled a lot recently and is now just working...just saving up $$$ so you can quit the job for a few months and hit the road...

Joe, if you're seriously doing a YEAR of traveling, what are the details of your plan? Selling all your stuff? Puttin' it in storage? How much are you saving up to make it happen?
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 4:37 pm

I'm very jealous. That sounds great.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 5:08 pm

Don't go to Poland. Esp. Jaslo. Unless you like being beaten to a pulp by the mafia.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 6:45 pm

hey Heric!!! i am living in Berlin... so if you need anything ley me know
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 6:55 pm

Lay you now? What a fag.

Does this mean you're not coming here for the KKBBQ tour?
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 7:15 pm

Zakopane(sp?) on the Polish/Slovakia border is a nice mountain town...cool restaurant there with an insane menu of a bazillion different kinds of grilled meats. Then when you have the meat sweats, you can go to the top of the mountain to cool off and have some beers at the bar up there.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 8:12 pm

Alberto! Sweet. I'll send you an email. Don't know if you still have the same one. I'm at aninfection @ yahoo.com. Let's do some boozing.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®