"Or am I just full of myself?"
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:57 am

Whoa. Literarium.
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:38 am

I had to pick boogers outa my nose three times while I read that blog
Posted: May 23, 2006 11:13 am

he's putting out a fatals record?!?!

oooooh gross

and what is up with his kewpie doll style?
Posted: May 23, 2006 1:04 pm

why does everyone always dis ben blackwell? i seriously have no idea and i'm curious and just asking here. i've missed the root of the evil. all i know about him is he's a mammoth drummer in a great band (viva mick collins) and has put out some records on cass, right? and something about him being jack white's cousin. is he a braggart? an ass in person?

i liked what he said in that blog about how the best bands--hands down through time--start out jamming old tunes that they dig. truth! and how the best bands start out as friends. truth again!

someone please clear up the hate. i'm keeping notes of all ya'll's rock n' roll gripes and grievances in my trapperkeeper.
Posted: May 23, 2006 1:23 pm

I thought that was a decent bit of writing, meself ... Personally, I thought that Arctic Monkeys thing Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor at least had a bit of vim'n'vigour about it, all the 'myspace revolution' bollocks aside, unlike most of the shite that makes it onto the national/international stage ... They remind me of John Cooper Clark fronting early Buzzcocks, rather than absolute fucking rubbish like The Strokes (more New York art rock bollocks, and throw Sonic Youth in there as the daddies & mommy of that rubbish - a whole heap less inneresting than even James Chance, and don't even mention the Velvets/early Television/ESG in the same breath as Thurston and those tossers!) ... If Blackwell's got $150 to spend onna 7", then Mick Collins must pay well! If he wants to spend that kinda $$$s onna modern band, it's up to him - the Arctic Monkeys are OK, but you could buy a serious chunk of Greg & Jack O's catalogue for the same $150 ... And I know where my money would go ... Getting excited about seeing 'not half bad' bands on national TV is an understandable thing - I though the same about The Hives when they were of BBC2 over here ... We all love pop music, basically, and want to believe that there STILL CAN be some part of the corporate music machine that's as great as '56/'66''76/whatever - as much as I think The White Stripes are rubbish (Led Zep are, and ever will be total wank), and The Hives give good show but poor tunes (really lovely people, though), I'd rather 'ver kids' listened to them than the latest manufactured 'indie' band ...
Posted: May 23, 2006 1:25 pm

you're a trapperkeeper.
Posted: May 23, 2006 2:16 pm

The Artic Monkeys are a sinkhole fulla puke next to Sonic Youth - give me a break. I like Ben, he's always been cool to me, though I can see why some others can't stand him. It probably has something to do with articles like this.
Posted: May 23, 2006 2:26 pm

He already put out a Fatals record, and he put out the first Hot Machines 7"... http://www.cassrecords.com/

I agree with Jenna! Ben is a super nice guy.
Posted: May 23, 2006 2:43 pm

The Artic Monkeys are a sinkhole fulla puke next to Sonic Youth - give me a break. I like Ben, he's always been cool to me, though I can see why some others can't stand him. It probably has something to do with articles like this.

i second that. it's still beyond me how someone who plays in the dirtbombs and puts out records by the fatals or sagger can like the arctic monkeys...i heard their album and it's even lamer than anything the strokes ever did.
Posted: May 23, 2006 2:55 pm

i liked what he said in that blog about how the best bands--hands down through time--start out jamming old tunes that they dig. truth! and how the best bands start out as friends. truth again!

DUH, really? I think EVERY band but the Monkees and Nsync started this way. Thank God he shed some light on that. Real genius. Really.

And since when is he a mammoth drummer? He isnt even the best drummer in the Dirtbombs. He is passable at best.

He's a nice kid with an over-inflated sense of importance which has led him to be a dick to a lot of people and say shitty things about people he shouldnt be shitting on.
Posted: May 23, 2006 2:57 pm

All this picture's missing is a giant lollipop and a big black hat with a full brim.
Posted: May 23, 2006 3:19 pm

He isnt even the best drummer in the Dirtbombs.

i didn't say he was the best. and frankly, the dirtbombs drumming is indeed mammoth. those boys have arms of iron--both of them! they're not some tight high snare shit (which i love too). they're all toms and rock steady.

DUH, really?

NO, not every band starts this way AT ALL--unfortunately.
Posted: May 23, 2006 3:22 pm

He isnt even the best drummer in the Dirtbombs

since there are just 2 drummers in the Dirtbombs, the term would be "better drummer"
and Ben and Pat Pantano have widely different styles, so its not fair to compare them

see the Dirtbombs when Patrick Keeler was substituting for Pantano?
I'd like to see the Dirtbombs w/ Keeler & Pantano... imagine that?
Patrick Keeler may just be the best drummer around today
Posted: May 23, 2006 3:32 pm

since there are just 2 drummers in the Dirtbombs, the term would be "better drummer"

Oh Jesus. Thanks for correcting my grammar on an internet message board where most people can't even spell their names right.

Best drummer = that guy from Human Eye
Posted: May 23, 2006 3:37 pm

Oh Jesus. Thanks for correcting my grammar on an internet message board where most people can't even spell their names right.

well, that particular usage ALWAYS annoys me.... at least i didn't call you gay!
and you should know by now that i have an english teacher streak....
Posted: May 23, 2006 3:50 pm

human eye drummer is indeed good, but let's be honest: the BEST DRUMMER going right now is the dude in gris gris. sticks down, dude--that guy is the SHIT.
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:26 pm

C'mon Jenna.....it doens't hurt that he's pretty fucking cute either, huh? Especially how he seems to put his kit up front so we can get in on that action too. Very stimulating.

Drummers! Quit hiding back there! Bring all that man-power [and hot mommas too] to the front!!
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:38 pm

Are you listening Don Henley???
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:57 pm

Fuck Sonic Youth, the Bananna Splits are waaaay cooler ...

No, scratch that, got two words for Sonic Youth, or any other shitty, up-themselves art-rock band: THE GRIFTERS!

I rest my case ...

The best drummers I have ever seen, in no particular order, are:

Bruce Brand
Dennis Thompson
Earl Palmer
Steve Smith (RIP)
Russell Hopkinson (You Am I/Radio Birdman)
Jody Stephens
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:58 pm | Edited by: jenna

C'mon Jenna.....it doens't hurt that he's pretty fucking cute either, huh?

yep, he's cute! but I think the Cutest Drummer in a Current Band Award goes to joe bradley from the black lips. sticks down on that one too. and I say this without any vulture-, voyeur- or cougar- isms whatsoever.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:04 pm

OOOOOOOOOH! I'm telling!
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:09 pm

Yeah, rest your case with a Memphis band on a Memphis message board. I'll take Sonic Youth over the Grifters any day. And why can't I like both the Banana Splits and Sonic Youth? Cuz I do. You ever hear Sonic Death? Teenage Riot?

Tra la la, lalalala, tra la la, lalalalaaaaa.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:11 pm

sidebar...

Bring all that man-power [and hot mommas too] to the front!!
You know who else I really like? Twinkle. Her drums are pretty fuckin' solid. And I just realized I have no idea when I'm going to get a chance to see her do it again. And her Gretch drums are hot. I think I like them more than the airplanes in Top Gun.

end sidebar.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:14 pm

rest your case with a Memphis band on a Memphis message board
There is much fear in you. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads you to the Dark Side.

Well... actually the Dark Side was way cooler, but I digress...
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:18 pm

it doens't hurt that he's pretty fucking cute either, huh? Especially how he seems to put his kit up front so we can get in on that action too

and he wears TIGHT pants...
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:19 pm

Jenna? For real? Without really knowing you, I'd have guessed you prefer those squeaky-clean polished doods -- or the the hunky-type. Or even pretty, pretty boys.

I certainly prefer boys slightly disheveled with a bit of grit.

I'm biased, for sure about Joe -- and he's cute alright -- but never thought of that boy that way. I mean he is a nice package of being FUN to watch, unique person and style and being fucking sweetheart to boot! Yay, Jenna!

Hee-hee...I said package.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:23 pm | Edited by: Whiskey Bent

You know who else I really like? Twinkle. Her drums are pretty fuckin' solid.

SPEAKING OF HOT MOMMAS!
As in said HOT MOMMA not joining us in Chi-Town :-(

Boo!

And YES, I love watching that girl! The first time I seen the JJ @ Goner, I think they opened w/ -- UUHH -- I'll never change [is that right?] -- she was singing -- total goose bumps and power and titillating! I am WOMAN, hear me ROAR!

Twink is thee shit!
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:26 pm

You know who's really cute? Yogi Bear. Always thought that.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:28 pm

Yogi's o.k.
Those chicks on Captain Caveman are hot, though.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:33 pm

sherry, texas lady, i do NOT like squeeky clean boys. i like 'em just as dirty and deranged as the rest of you--just not drug addicted, thank you. i've got enough of my own drug/alcohol problems to contend with. but I will say i DO like pretty boys. yep! something sweet on the eyes makes you pant! AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT JOE ON THAT--I'm just stating my personal sway in general.

here's another current cutie: vince from the fatals. he's got that benicio del torro thing going on.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:33 pm

I'm more into bears.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:34 pm

Cartoon poon.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:34 pm

Painted ladiez.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Drawn fawns.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Pencil tits.
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:36 pm

here's another current cutie: vince from the fatals.

I think Vince looks like Ozzie, and wait... he's not even the one that spent the night! Oooooooooh...
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:09 pm

Vince: pretty boy...
Piero: titillating...[my word for the day]...I love his cute-fucking crooked teeth...and being 6-something w/ a moustache doesn't hurt either.
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:15 pm

i've got enough of my own drug/alcohol problems to contend with

no kidding?
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:22 pm

Tricknee, I'm coming from a British perspective, here, and I rate The Pretty Things above all others, just so as you know ...
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:23 pm | Edited by: jenna

no kidding?

aw nice, another anonymous poster who only seems to post about me. get a life.
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:24 pm

Welcome to the club!
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:24 pm

They were cuties! Meeeow!
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:25 pm

Poison Idea. Those were dudes.
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:26 pm

I don't get a lot of anonymous posters, but "Todd Trickknee" makes an occasional occurance. He lives in Algoma and got me high the other night.
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:22 pm

Tickleknee is a damn cutie pie.
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:23 pm

Whenever I see "ben blackwell" in a topic line, I automatically assume it's something about that guy that publishes the best dressed lists.
Posted: May 23, 2006 8:12 pm

Wolf Howard is the best drummer in Rock 'n' Roll.
Posted: May 23, 2006 8:46 pm

The two drummers in Detroit that RULE are Kenny Tudrick (even though he's now playing guitar in Kid Rock) and Nick Lloyd (Dirtys/Bantam Rooster/Buzzards etc). I may be a little biased about Nick though cuz he plays in a band with me currently but both of them leave most drummers in the dust. Ben can hold his own. There have been A LOT of drummers to pass through the Dirtbombs doors through the years though him and Pat (who is pretty damn good too) have been there the longest.
Posted: May 23, 2006 9:15 pm

What bands was Kenny Tudrick in as a drummer?
Posted: May 23, 2006 9:19 pm

The Detroit Cobras, Rocket 455 and a couple of others...
Posted: May 23, 2006 10:33 pm

and he also happens to be an (american) badass guitarist? or is he friends with somebody in the band? i mean, it's not that often that somebody's considered the best drummer in detroit AND is also better than at least 1,000 other guitar players who'd come to a kid rock audition...
Posted: May 23, 2006 11:26 pm

for Detroit drummers, i was really impressed by the drummer from Human Eye when i saw them recently. some historical faves were Eric Cook (first Bantam Rooster drummer, jesus) and Don Blum (Von Bondies.) hate on the VB's all you want, but Don can play the hell out of some drums.
Posted: May 23, 2006 11:37 pm | Edited by: jenna

john stanier was THE best (and also the cutest) drummer in nyc circa the first five years i moved here. goddamn machine. actually it was a tie between john, russell and jerry fuchs--each with a different style.

best bass players going right now are easily shane konen (my very own--fucking SLAMMING), steven tanner (of the famed tanner's pies and thighs and late of harvey milk) and troy gregory. that guy ripped it at the last dirtbombs show i saw. sweaty, messy, gory greatness!
Posted: May 24, 2006 12:36 am

once again, i like pizza.
Posted: May 24, 2006 1:28 am

Cass Records are usually listenable....
Posted: May 24, 2006 3:04 am | Edited by: dale

and he also happens to be an (american) badass guitarist? or is he friends with somebody in the band? i mean, it's not that often that somebody's considered the best drummer in detroit AND is also better than at least 1,000 other guitar players who'd come to a kid rock audition...
I don't know the politics of it all nor do I care. I just know he sure knows how the play drums.

Never seen Troy Gregory play drums...
Posted: May 24, 2006 4:34 am

i like those 2 drummers they have in the Eagles of Death Metal
Posted: May 24, 2006 4:58 am

That band needs to be shot.
Posted: May 24, 2006 8:29 am

someone please clear up the hate
Example #1
"but to start the show with a twist was pure class and snark. I hardly think of the Monkeys as an unpredictable band, but I definitely wasn't expecting lyrics to be messed about. It's something Fall Out Boy would never even attempt, something I was geeked to find on Nirvana bootlegs"

Example #2
"The feeling I get from the Arctic Monkeys is that they are speaking from and to the current generation of youth in England. Having toured there every year for the past five years, I feel I have some connection or at least understanding of this phenomenon."

Example #3
"I still can't fully understand all the intricacies of the British class system that others always seem to be making such a fuss about, and the youth in England are tricky to pin down, but a brief scan of Turner's lyrics nails it. The fact he sings about Reeboks and Converse and it comes off as sincere; that there's loads of mentions of drunkenness and fighting (there's always a fight outside a British bar, like fucking clockwork) but still with the uncertainty of meeting girls at a disco; all while being able to fit words like "totalitarian" and "argumentative" in a pop song. It's what I think I've been hoping for all along ľand I don't think I'm the only one."

Example #4
"It is all so exciting to me. I can't remember the last band I got excited about that I didn't first see in some small-capacity, smoke-filled dive. I also can't remember the last time I got excited about a band and didn't meet them soon thereafter."

Example #5
"Alex Turner looks out at the crowd, points his finger and says "That man just yawned!" and goes into the climactic finish of the song. Some writer from USA Today claimed that the Arctic Monkeys are putting the generation gap back in rock music, and while I'm still not sure if I agree with that (and am also still not sure what generation that would place me in) I love the idea of it and know for a fact that this quick, four-word observation, blurted out on national TV is divisive...you will either love and cherish and completely understand where it came from, or you yourself will be yawning."

don't know the guy otherwise but he's a terrible rock critic
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®