Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Crispin Glover High on Acid during the David Letterman show
Posted: May 22, 2006 6:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALapHYNSmoA

What a freak. Weird person.
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:13 pm

I remember seeing that as a kid, and this was one of the first things I looked up on Youtube. Are you sure he's high on acid, though? Did HE later say that? I always thought that was a myth. He's obviously being weird but something about it seemed controlled, like he planned the whole thing. I dunno.
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:16 pm

I thought it was amature and horrible. I doubt he was trippin'. I bet if he was it woulda been really smart and funny.
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:29 pm

It was all planned. Letterman was aware of the plan.
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:36 pm

I remember being horrified...I was really into him at that time too (River's Edge era).
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:38 pm

I was tripping fucking balls that night. Lettermen was too.
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:39 pm

He's a just a dork who likes to wear witch boots. Doubt he's ever even smoked a joint. He's too busy reading shakespear and how to books on dianetics.
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:41 pm

Wrong!
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:54 pm

Wrong!

about? being a dork? or the joint? I know for a fact the shakespear and how to books on dianetics is right on though.
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:56 pm

In my country, acid is high on you!
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:57 pm

Posted: May 22, 2006 8:01 pm

I remember being horrified

Horrified? Why?
Posted: May 22, 2006 8:09 pm

It increased Glover's cult status and gave Letterman material for a month.

Although it doesn't compare to Kaufman.
Posted: May 22, 2006 8:25 pm

G. Rhea, the link is fuct up. I'm waiting.
Posted: May 22, 2006 9:11 pm

Crispin Hellion Glover is my hero forever and always.
Posted: May 22, 2006 10:07 pm

I met Crispin Glover a couple weeks ago:

http://www.crispinglover.com/slideshow.htm

There was an 8:00 show and a midnight show. When we arrived for the midnight show at 11:40, he was still talking to people from the 8:00 show. He was really nice, talking to each person for as long as they wanted to.

Staged or not, that Letterman clip is awesome.
Posted: May 22, 2006 10:25 pm

he was playing his character from the movie RUBEN & ED. great movie too, black lodge has it.
Posted: May 22, 2006 10:27 pm

That was Rubin from "Rubin and Ed" a film he was promoting. It was actually more tame than I imagined it since I'd never seen that before. If none of you have seen the movie I highly recommend it.

"my cat can eat a whole watermelon"
Posted: May 22, 2006 10:28 pm

I was beat to that one I suppose.
Posted: May 22, 2006 11:08 pm

Horrified? Why??

A few reasons. I wasn't totally cynical and jaded yet--I was still like 17 or 18 years old. My dad worked with schizophrenics who were threatening and freaky and this seemed like he was going in that direction. I certainly did not expect him to come out on TV in a wig and platforms and start freaking out. And back full circle, I was still naive enough to believe it was serious.

So yeah. That is why.
Posted: May 22, 2006 11:20 pm

Although it doesn't compare to Kaufman

They replay those episodes on Trio, it seems pretty tame now. So does the Madonna episode were she swore 400 times and caused a controversy for months...most of that is overblown. I would like to see a whole series of cips with nothing but Chris Elliot making stand in appearances during the monolouge while he was a writer for the show...funny shitttts.
Posted: May 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Oh god. That Madonna episode. Where she was in her "I'm fucking NBA players!!! BLACK MEN WITH HUGE COCKS!!!! ME!!!!" phase. Didn't she have a gold tooth then?
Posted: May 22, 2006 11:50 pm | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

madonna got crucified last night. I'm ready for her to just off herself. dumb bitch.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and proclaim: "Being sacrilegious about Christianity is no longer edgy or shocking. It just means you are a douche-bag who is into trendy religions like Scientology or Kabbalah, and that you are too much of a pussy to make fun of Islam."
Posted: May 22, 2006 11:55 pm

A few reasons. I wasn't totally cynical and jaded yet--I was still like 17 or 18 years old. My dad worked with schizophrenics who were threatening and freaky and this seemed like he was going in that direction. I certainly did not expect him to come out on TV in a wig and platforms and start freaking out. And back full circle, I was still naive enough to believe it was serious.

So yeah. That is why.

Wow, I guess we're about the same age. I remember seeing it and laughing my ass off...at him, at Dave, at Paul, at everything about it. Maybe I was a cynical bastard about it, but we laughed and talked about it for days.
Posted: May 23, 2006 12:46 am

I read somewhere that some guy pitched a no-hitter on acid. can anybody confirm this?
Posted: May 23, 2006 1:00 am

Reactions are a matter of mood, time, place, experience etc etc etc. I definitely laughed later on, but yeah, when he first came out, I laughed for a sec and then I think it seemed like Dave flipped out a bit and yeah, well, reactions, whatever. I don't know what you would expect me to say.
Posted: May 23, 2006 1:01 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

I read somewhere that some guy pitched a no-hitter on acid.

That would be Dock Ellis.
http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/ellis.asp
Posted: May 23, 2006 1:18 am

I don't know what you would expect me to say.

The same thing you said. I was just curious since my reaction was the polar opposite. It was just...well...everyone was freaking out and he was acting crazy and I could relate to feeling a little crazy and it was funny. I'm not faulting you. My reaction was to bust out laughing. Of course I'd never known any truly insane people at the time. I have since, and maybe it would have changed my perception.
Posted: May 23, 2006 1:38 am

Yeah, it was um,realllllly uncomfortable rather than "horrified", probably. My dad used to work at this Community Mental Health Center on Summer that served that area in the 70's. It had day treatment for people with schizophrenia. If I had no school and dad didn't find a babysitter, guess who would have to go THERE all day? One guy tried to murder my dad in a session and another lady did end up killing herself after calling our house at 2AM and telling me if I didn't get my dad on the phone, she'd kill me. So, maybe I am a little oversensitive!
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:33 am

I remember the crispin glover incident. I was astonished and confused, a lot like fiery. and it was funny too! I was about the same age as fiery. Now, seeing it again after all these years, I see that he was in character. And someone hipped me to the Rubin & Ed thing not too long ago. (apparently this comes up in conversation a lot, to this day.)

i'm with you, Singles. LOVED all the Chris Elliott bits: the guy under the seats, Marlon Brando (beans! bananas!), "himself." that guy is a genius. what were some of the other characters he did? I can't remember them all...
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:21 am

I love his record. It's retarded, but great.

Hurry your assss!
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:28 am

what record? do tell!
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:35 am

His record! 1989!

Crispin Hellion Glover - 'THE BIG PROBLEM =/ the solution. The Solution = LET IT BE.' on Restless. Like Syd Barrett playing with early Ween. Convulsive laughter ensues.
Posted: May 23, 2006 8:19 am

Let's just say that I have ate more chicken than any other man has seen.
Posted: May 23, 2006 8:38 am

CLOWNY CLOWN CLOWN!!!
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:26 pm

Oh Man Under the Chairs!!!! Does anyone recall that Chris Elliot skit where he and Dave went fishing???? That was around 1986-87.
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:32 pm

HEY MCFLY
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:53 pm

Hello, is there anyone in there? Anybody home? Think, Mcfly! Think!
Posted: May 23, 2006 11:08 pm

It's all about the The Beaver Trilogy for me....
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 6:17 am

Posted: Jun 5, 2006 6:05 am

Rubin and Ed might be my favorite movie.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®