Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Thee all time best band out of New Jersey....
Posted: May 22, 2006 3:08 am

The Driving Stupid. Head and Shoulders above any band out of N.J. that I am aware of. My mother is from Elizabeth, N.J. I'm not ashamed to admit that I love N.J. ...shitty air quality and all... If anybody is privvy to a band that is out of Jersey, whilst at the same time, better than the Driving Stupid, please let me know...
Posted: May 22, 2006 3:39 am

Don't Forget, Wild Hares, Mental Abuse, Chronic Sick, Adrenalin OD, Public Disturbance and Dozen or so other greats from the Toxie State.
Posted: May 22, 2006 3:41 am

Oh Yeah, and Richard and the Young Lyons from Newark
Posted: May 22, 2006 3:46 am

Ween I believe are from New Hope, Pa. Right across the river from N.J. Close enough... Their cassette releases were pretty badass... I lost interest after Pure Guava...
Mental Abuse
You don't mean Mental Decay. The Walking Stick 7" I have by them is really good too....
Posted: May 22, 2006 4:32 am

the Misfits. someone hadda say it.
Posted: May 22, 2006 4:46 am

the Misfits. someone hadda say it.
...but they're too famous.
Posted: May 22, 2006 4:52 am

Mental Abuse were the angel dust kings of N.J. hardcore ,and they put out the Killer "Streets of Filth" Lp. Which is a highly sought after these days. Someone needs to boot it.
Mental Decay were on Buy our Records and still exist to this day!!!
Posted: May 22, 2006 4:59 am

fuckin misfits! fuckin' attitude!
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:52 am

"the Misfits. someone hadda say it.
...but they're too famous."

Who cares how famous they are? They are still 1000x better than what's listed in this thread.

As per Bon Jovi, NJ is an attitude, also.
Posted: May 22, 2006 8:48 am

You're Gay
Posted: May 22, 2006 10:02 am

Is that why my dinghy smells like your poopdeck, sailor?
Posted: May 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Chronic Sick
Posted: May 22, 2006 2:41 pm

They are still 1000x better than what's listed in this thread.

Clearly, you haven't heard anything by The Driving Stupid...
Posted: May 22, 2006 5:20 pm

NJ punk discography here ...
http://www.collectorscum.com/volume3/nj/
Posted: May 22, 2006 6:52 pm

didn't Mental Abuse do that song "Sock Woman?" Alberto played that for us when we stayed with him and it was great!
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:08 pm

THE FEELIES

YOU'RE WELCOME
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:13 pm

Being from New Hope and having gone to high school with Ween I can atest to them being from said location. Exactly 1/2 mile from NJ. Now my favorite band from Jersey stems back from my hardcore days so no making fun. Turning Point. Oh I loved them.
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:18 pm

Fuck the Pebbles Acid Gallery cd that sez the Driving Stupid is on there cuz it ain't. It's on the vinyl version though...
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Yes, they did do "Sock Woman"
Ya Know who was worse, remember Vision. Yuk!!!!
Did you hang out at Shitty Gardens?
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:33 pm

I meant "Horror Asparagus Stories." Pisses me off...
Posted: May 22, 2006 8:15 pm

Mental Decay were on Buy our Records and still exist to this day!!!

No original members!
Posted: May 22, 2006 8:18 pm

Isn't that the name of the Driving Stupid Song on Pebbles Vol #3
Posted: May 22, 2006 8:29 pm

I just listened to the other song "The Reality of (Air) Fried Borsk". It's better than pre -mentioned song. Maybe, I'm just not in the mood for it.
Posted: May 22, 2006 9:04 pm

HAHAHA City Gardens. Don't get me started that was my home away from home. Ah the summer stench of vomit in the airducts.
Jon Stewart used to bartend there.

I remember Vision, Sticks & Stones, Mouthpiece, Lifetime and of course let us not forget the former funk band Bouncing Souls.
Posted: May 22, 2006 9:07 pm

"Horror Asparagus Stories."
I love everything about that song. I dig the fucked up channel switches, the guitar part that sounds sort of like a chicken bockbockbockbockbockbock. The fact that they were from the Garden State is just the icing on the cake.

didn't Mental Abuse do that song "Sock Woman?"
Yes they did. Haven't heard it, but I have a 7" by Adrenalin O.D. and they cover it. They credit Mental Abuse on the jacket...
Posted: May 22, 2006 9:32 pm

I remember Vision, Sticks & Stones, Mouthpiece, Lifetime and of course let us not forget the former funk band Bouncing Souls.

Yes! They absolutely wanted to be the Chili Peppers in their youth. Pretty funny.

Living in New Brunswick as I did, I remember all of the above, PLUS Transilvia. Ugh.
Posted: May 22, 2006 9:53 pm

I think the last show I went to at Shitty Gardens Was All and the Dickies. I think the Dickies opened for All if you colud imagine that.
Did any of You go to the Pipeline in Newark? At one point I was there on a weekly basis. From 91 to 93. Before that it was 21 and up. Then I turned 21 and it went all ages.
Posted: May 22, 2006 10:07 pm

Why oh why didn't I hold onto my copy of the Thorazine Stretch Factor?
Posted: May 22, 2006 10:28 pm

Why oh why didn't I hold onto my copy of the Thorazine Stretch Factor?

With the insert apologizing for the crappy mastering on the Bouncing Souls track. . .
Posted: May 22, 2006 10:49 pm

VCR!

Seriously, VCR! is great, they're current, 16 year old kids. Also Home Blitz, they put out a 7" not too long ago which is pretty killer.

Driving Stupid, Richard and the Young Lions, Gandalf, The Koala, Chronic Sick, Modulators, Ambient Noise, Misfits, Mental Decay, Bodies in Panic.

Steely Dan?
Posted: May 23, 2006 12:05 am

Ya ever heard the Sick Terrific Nosebleeds.
They were around in the mid-late Nineties.
I gotta demo and 7" by em'.
Good Angry Samoans type shit. I get "Bombs Away" stuck in my head, sometimes. That Bodies in Panic record is great it had the drummer from Stetz. Frank Russo RIP. He died in the World Trade Center
Posted: May 23, 2006 12:12 am

Sick Terrific Nosebleeds
I have a compilation that they appear on. Half Assed-Will Travel L.P. Eric Davidson put out back in '97.
Posted: May 23, 2006 12:22 am

as someone who both lived in new brunswick and went to the city gardens in the 90s i can attest to many, many TERRIBLE bands.

i do dig that violators.

i think eric h's favorite are shrapnel.

mikesniper LOVES gandalf.

and the dc snipers rule.
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:15 am

Whiplash you fags.
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:52 am

"Clearly, you haven't heard anything by The Driving Stupid..."

When you are wrong, you are wrong, & you are wrong. I have the Pebbles 3 LP. "...Borsk" is a blues stomp that had been written & performed uncountable times before TDS took a stab at it. "...Asparagus..." is a tough sleazy swinging tune, punctuated by the fluttering rap. It's better than "...Borsk", but it doesn't pack a punch anywhere close to the goods on the Misfits CD that is catalog # PL9-CD1.

Here's my copy of Pebbles 3, plus the Race Marbles 7" from that record.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/gmullett/Pebb3RacMar.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/gmullett/Pebb3.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/gmullett/RaceMarbles.jpg
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:55 am

brooooooooce
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:37 am

Yeah Bro whiplash
Posted: May 23, 2006 5:58 am

Almost forgot to mention the Tonys of Whiplash. My friend Sharon dated the guitar player back in the day. "Warmonger" kicks some serious ass.

As for you "Mullet", Big deal you got the Pebbles 3 and the Race marbles. I bet you don't have the Calico Walls single, jerk.
I liked the Misfits when I was in High School. Nowadays, I consider them back ground music at the bar, because every jerk likes the Misfits. Goto, the Saint tonight, and some asshole is gonna play The Misfits.
Sick to death. It's time to push the forward button
I'd actually, rather hear the Undead (early), Samhain, or fuckin' Ripping Corpse!!!!!
Blood Feast!!!!!.....Ya Heard Me?
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:27 am

" I bet you don't have the Calico Walls single, jerk. "

No, I most definately don't. Do you, Ventor & what in the hell did I ever do to you? Guy makes a wrong comment about me, I state it's wrong, back it up, & you seem to have some kind of problem with me. Sounds like you didn't get enough quality attention as a baby. Sorry about your luck. Not to worry. I don't hold grudges.
Posted: May 23, 2006 6:30 am

Just playin Bro, didn't mean to offend.
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:11 am

Got it. I apologize. I should be able to take an internet chat board name in a little better stride than that.

Let me know when you are next in Ohio & I will buy you a drink. We can throw them back & spin that Calico Walls tune. It's a beast! Shit, I wish I had that or that TC Atlantic 45.
Posted: May 23, 2006 8:52 am

Si I'm an insomniac tonight URL
Posted: May 23, 2006 1:11 pm

The Optic Nerve ...
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:52 pm

wretched ones
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:16 pm

Ventor-
That wouldn't happen to be Sharon from Bridgewater 6 ft of pure kick ass?
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:53 pm

We can throw them back & spin that Calico Walls tune. It's a beast! Shit, I wish I had that or that TC Atlantic 45.
If I had a soul, I would trade it for the Money Music Compilation that came out in '66. Even this old hippy dude who I work with doesn't remember that L.P. He remembers T.C. Atlantic though... there was somebody in his high school home room who was a sibling of one of the members. He flipped when I loaned him the Pebbles Vol. 3 comp and that song came on... But this thread isn't about Mpls.
I consider them back ground music at the bar, because every jerk likes the Misfits.
Sadly, I agree. If I said the Misfits, somebody would undoubtedly say Bruce Sprinsteen...
Posted: May 23, 2006 8:16 pm

Actually Money Music came out in '67. Sorry for the inconvienance.
Posted: May 23, 2006 8:39 pm

Back to Joiseyhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/30362850@N00/152063414/
Posted: May 23, 2006 8:40 pm

OopsURL
Posted: May 23, 2006 8:44 pm

I still agree with la chev.
Posted: May 23, 2006 9:10 pm

Hey Paddy Bullocks!

I don't mean to bother you.. I just moved out here around Jersey City for work a couple of weeks ago. It sucks cuz I don't know AnYBoDY out here ;(. My friends back home suggested I start a myspace and look for people in my area. I just started today so here I am! :D

Well I'm lookin to meet a guy and you are pretty cute Hehe. About me... Well I'm 24, single, and I love to have fun. I'm into older men. Since you're cute and 37, you fit the profile! LoL

I just started this myspace stuff today so my profile is pretty thin to say the least. If you wanna see some of my pix, I have a homepage @ houseofvicky.com/kris - there's a bunch of photos and stuff... I also left you a PeRSoNaL message on the front page so come check it out k?

XoXo KriSty
Posted: May 23, 2006 9:18 pm

I still agree with la chev
That's because we both have impeccable taste...
Posted: May 23, 2006 9:18 pm

What about all those "New York" bands that lived and practiced in Hoboken in the 80's and 90's?

Or maybe we should just go with Crystal Ship.
Posted: May 23, 2006 9:21 pm

I still agree with la chev
That's because we both have impeccable taste...

Fuckin' A!

Hey Paddy Bullocks!

I don't mean to bother you...

Huh??? She wrote to me too but told me she was in the Elmhurst area! CURSES!!!
Posted: May 23, 2006 9:25 pm

dude, you aint cute and 37 - you do NOT fit the profile!
Posted: May 23, 2006 9:37 pm

That's Money Music Comp is great. I'd never heard of it, but a friend around town has one that is worn, but very playable. I saw one of those fetch $350 on eBay a year or so ago. It does not crop up too much.
Posted: May 24, 2006 2:01 am

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4070772097.
I don't know how to do all that fancy-pantsed linking shit. Just type this shit in...
Posted: May 24, 2006 2:02 am

Oh holy shit...it worked!
Posted: May 24, 2006 2:42 am

Nice!!
Posted: May 24, 2006 3:20 am

misfits.
Posted: May 24, 2006 3:25 am

You're a misfit
Posted: May 24, 2006 5:24 am

Somewhere around the house I got Stillroven's cover of the tune "Cheating" by The Animals. It, too, has fangs the size of warriors.

God... Look at the shit on that comp. Kids on drugs for the 1st time had to be totally flippin' out when they heard that record.
Posted: May 24, 2006 11:24 am

the Haunted
Posted: May 25, 2006 3:56 am

I was gonna say Richard and the Young Lyons but it was already right at the top.

Bon Jovi then.
Posted: May 25, 2006 4:35 am

I used to love seeing AOD. They started out great (see Wacky Hi-Jinks lp) but around 1990 they just got so damn good as a live band. They killed. They were so much fun too.
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:21 pm

Damn!! URL
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:22 pm

[url=http//cgi.ebay.com/MENTAL-ABUSE-Filth-LP-1984-RARE-Orig-Punk-KBD- HC-sXe_W0QQitemZ4883256068QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem][/url]
Posted: May 25, 2006 8:23 pm

Forget It
Posted: May 25, 2006 9:25 pm

the Holmgrens
Posted: May 26, 2006 3:59 am

I just want to see my pen name in three consecutive posts...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®