Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Wed/Fri Blackout tickets and Cubs on Friday
Posted: May 21, 2006 2:35 am | Edited by: No Big Thing

1. I definitely have one available ticket for Friday night. I will almost certainly have a ticket for Wednesday as well, but I won't be able to confirm that for another day or two---I don't even know if Wednesday is sold out, so maybe that's not a big deal at all. I will sell them at face value to anyone interested, though I will give preference to anyone I know/anyone I peripherally know/anyone who makes me laugh regularly here/anyone who will get me stoned before or during the show. I would flat-out give them to Dirk Diggler/Ned Hayden, but I know he wouldn't waste his time on this Blackout crap.

2. I have somehow never seen a home Cubs game. They're playing Atlanta on Friday afternoon---anyone else interested in a sojourn to Wrigley for some ball and early afternoon drinking?

Interested parties should mail me at andrew"at"nicolaou.com
Posted: May 21, 2006 2:36 am

I'd totally be up for a cubs game. are tix hard to come by?
Posted: May 21, 2006 2:47 am

It looks like there's all sorts of tickets available for the Friday 5/28 game starting at $14. And it's free t-shirt day.
Posted: May 21, 2006 2:50 am

sweet!

it'd be great if some of the ATL folks could make it to this.. .so they could watch the braves lose.
Posted: May 21, 2006 10:54 pm

alright seriously who's up for this? I wanna go to a cubbies game. but not by myself.
Posted: May 21, 2006 11:05 pm

For sure. Beer, hot dogs, Wrigley Field and a chance to even more finely hone your already well-developed heckling skills? C'mon people, jump on this...
Posted: May 22, 2006 3:06 am

i think it is going to depend on who has any dough left by Friday afternoon.
Posted: May 22, 2006 3:18 am

Is the Friday ticket still available????
Posted: May 22, 2006 3:20 am

you have to go see a game at Wrigley Field, it's awesome....try to avoid the upper deck...get bleacher seats if you can....
Posted: May 22, 2006 1:05 pm

Lotta, it sure is.

Perhaps now is the time to mention that I will also be more than willing to trade tickets for a few bottles of beer that I can't readily purchase in Michigan.

And seriously, no one should let a lack of affection for baseball get in the way of going to the Cubs game.
Posted: May 22, 2006 2:28 pm

How convenient, I can readily supply some bottles of Ipswich, Massachusetts finests microbrews.

In other words, I would totally trade you a ticket for beer. What kind do you like? Pale ales, IPAs, Stout, Hefeweizen, lighter, darker,etc?

email me: carla 7900 @ yahoo . com

I'm not beneath baseball! It's actually my least favorite sport to watch on TV, but probably the best sport to attend a game. They used to have $5 tall boys of Old Style at the park. And $14 tickets?! That's unheard of in Boston. Has a posse already formed?
Posted: May 22, 2006 2:39 pm

It looks like there's all sorts of tickets available for the Friday 5/28 game starting at $14. And it's free t-shirt day.

Good luck finding seats together. About two months ago I bought eight tickets for this game, and all they had left with that many seats together were 'obstructed view.'

Even though the Baseball Cubs are shit this year, they are still selling out every home game. I just went to the Cubs website and tried to order just TWO tickets for that game, in any section, and it said "Tickets are not available together in the quantity you requested in this section at this time."

Lots of options at stubhub.com, though, starting at around $30.
Posted: May 22, 2006 3:14 pm

I bought four tickets together last week from stubhub, but they're upper deck. If you're gonna get out of the upper deck, look to spend around $100 per ticket. Got ours for $30.
Posted: May 22, 2006 4:11 pm | Edited by: JJ Champion

Upper deck at Wrigley is a fine place to watch a baseball match.
Posted: May 22, 2006 4:40 pm | Edited by: No Big Thing

Thanks for the info Jay---a shame that a group outing looks like it will be tough to pull off, but it's good to know now rather than on Friday.

If anyone is so inclined to commit to the game I'm more than happy to buy a group of seats together via stubhub.com and then get money later. I'd prefer not to go alone, but I'm gonna take advantage of the opportunity to finally visit Wrigley one way or the other. If I go alone I'll probably buy a single bleacher ticket I saw on stubhub despite the $, but I have no problem sitting in the upper deck or anywhere else for that matter if other people want to go.

Carla, I emailed you, but long story short the ticket is yours. It's been a while since I've had anything from Ipswitch...yum!
Posted: May 22, 2006 4:53 pm

If you are dead set on getting seats together, or decent seats, MLB requires each stadium to release a small percentage, something like 7% or so, of seats on game day. These seats are usually lower level, and in groups so you can get seats together. These tickets go on sale when the box office opens, which I think is 9am. Often people begin queing up about 7:30ish if its a big game. Also, many companies buy group tix for their employees. Many a time I've come in the morning to get day of game tix, a rep from a company comes to sell the left over tix before the box office opens below face value. I've always got day of game tix this way, and usually good seats, but I've always gotten to the stadium by 7:30. Then again, this is 7:30 in the morning, and after a BlackOut night, this might be tough.

The only bad seats at Wrigley are the ones right behind a post. Us Chicagoans forget how small that stadium is. Even last row upper deck is decent seats compared to other stadiums. And Wrigley is magical, even if you don't give a fuck about baseball.

If you make it to a game, get drinks before and/or after at Gingerman, next door to Metro. It's the only non frat bar in the area, plus they make dynamite Bloody Mary's if you are still nursing from the previous night.
Posted: May 22, 2006 4:56 pm

No Big Thing,
just incase you don't know this, bleacher tix are general admission, seating is first come first serve, and usually good seats are taken by about 45 mins to an hour before a game. So, if you get a bleacher ticket, make sure to arrive early, and if going by your self, take a towel or something to mark your seat for your beer runs (beer vendors aren't allowed seat sales in bleachers) or piss breaks.
Posted: May 22, 2006 5:14 pm

Wow---Some guy in Chicago, thank you very, very much for all the great info. I knew bleachers were GA, but didn't know how early I'd need to get there or that I should bring a "marker."

Unless a bunch of folks show interest in buying tix in advance, I'll likely just show up at 7:30AM the morning of and get tix for myself and any others who are interested. After a late night that'll suck to be certain, but I'll still be grinning from the Cheater Slicks anyways.
Posted: May 22, 2006 5:25 pm

Glad I could help NBT. As bad as the Cubs are sucking right now, you should have decent luck getting day of game tickets. It'll be easier getting tickets for a Fri game as opposed to a weekend game. If, for any reason you don't get day of game tickets, there are a hand full of scalping agencies caddy corner to the Harry Carey statue, expect prices to be double face value. Also, about an hour prior to the game, just outside the el stop, there are usually about 10-15 individuals selling handfulls of tickets, usually standing in the doorways to the buildings. I've never bought from them before, so I don't know their prices.

I'm glad I have tix to Sundays game!
Posted: May 22, 2006 5:31 pm | Edited by: some guy in chicago

Box office opens at 8am on Fri, 9am on Sat and Sun.

Their number is 800-843-2827 if in Illinois, 866-652-2827 if out of state.

I've heard rumors that you can now buy day of game tix via phone and online (used to be box office only to help people visiting Chicago get tix). I'd suggest calling the numbers though to confirm that, and ensure that the stadium still releases day of game seats as it's been about 3 - 4 years since I've gone down for those (lately I've had REAL good luck getting advance tickets).
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:02 am

since im poor...and probably not gonna make the blackout...im gonna bitch. Ready..? bitch.
Posted: May 23, 2006 7:44 am

It reeeaaaallllly sucks!!!!
For a long time MLB had a rule that a certain% of tickets had to be "day of game"...at Wrigley many of those were bleacher seats...that changed in the early 1990s...it meant that even though a game was sold out you could still line up in the morning at the bleacher ticket window a get one...
If you go to a day Cubs game get there at opening gates, approx 2 hours before gametime grab a beer and some nachos and watch batting practice.....
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:14 pm

colbito, I know that up to 3 years ago, they still had day of game tickets sales, cause I did it 3 years ago. But they had cut out bleachers for day of game as bleacher tix were so popular, the bleachers were getting too rowdy, and many of the day of game buyers were out of town families. Seats were usually back row, lower section, between 3rd and home. Have they completely eliminated day of game sales now? If so, that really sucks.

Batting practice is cool. Only, if you are in the bleachers, keep your head up! I always see one frat fuck catch one square on the head. Always.
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:26 pm

I hate the bleachers. Not a good place to actually watch a game.
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:38 pm

It's too much effort now for the bleachers. Get to the game 1 1/2 hours prior for good seats, drunk before game starts, passed out by 7th. I prefer seats, but I still get one bleacher game a year just to stay young and stupid.
Posted: May 23, 2006 4:48 pm

yeah, this sounds like too much of a production. oh well.
Posted: May 24, 2006 2:40 pm

yeah, this sounds like too much of a production

Sure does. We can all plan on attending a *shudder* Braves game in ATL during the inevitable 2016 PeachShock featuring the long-awaited Black Lips reunion.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®