Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Favorite Childish project...
Posted: May 19, 2006 12:57 am

I have to say thee Milkshakes above all 'cos he was great with Micky H. and the way they played off each other. I think most other folks will say thee Mighty Ceasers but you'd be wrong...

What you say???
Posted: May 19, 2006 12:59 am

Thee Mighty Caesars.

Headcoats

If I listen to Mersey Beat for more than 15 minutes I'll go berserk.
Posted: May 19, 2006 1:00 am

And The Delmonas had some of the best songs/ arrangements ever.
Posted: May 19, 2006 1:19 am

Thee Milkshakes.
Posted: May 19, 2006 1:20 am

For one single LP Thee Headcoats "Heavens To Murgatroid" gets my vote. Such lovely use of auxillary percussion, a rich warm sound, etc...
Posted: May 19, 2006 1:35 am

The band in which he writes the song that sounds like an old Kinks song....oh wait that's all of em..

I dig the Milkshakes....
Posted: May 19, 2006 1:36 am | Edited by: johnny guitar

milkshakes!!
Posted: May 19, 2006 4:06 am

milkshakes!!
and Bob's Big Boy burger
Posted: May 19, 2006 4:09 am

milkshakes all the way
Posted: May 19, 2006 4:19 am

Milkshakes never had a song as good as "Don't You Say It's A Lie." And don't you say it's a lie!
Posted: May 19, 2006 8:51 am

The Black Hands. That record they did for SubPop in the 90's was great.
Posted: May 19, 2006 9:00 am

mind readers
Posted: May 19, 2006 1:44 pm

another vote for milkshakes. mickey hampshire's masonics records are nearly as good too.
Posted: May 19, 2006 2:24 pm

Milkshakes, "Find Another Girl" off Live In Germany is a perfect anthem!

Blackhands is a close second for me, great departure from his typical stuff.
Posted: May 19, 2006 2:54 pm

i like making a thanksgiving turkey out of the outline of my hand!
good times...
Posted: May 19, 2006 3:01 pm

Thee Mighty Caesars.
Posted: May 19, 2006 3:44 pm

how do you make a mighty caesar?
outline your cock and decorate with olive branch?
greggers, call me! we'll do arts and crafts!
Posted: May 19, 2006 4:31 pm

Pop Rivets, where it all began.
Posted: May 19, 2006 4:36 pm

I like all of them, but for me it's Headcoats, as there's better variety. Milkshakes a close second. I think Pop Rivits are the weakest.
Posted: May 19, 2006 4:37 pm

Pop Rivets, where it all began.

Oh yeah, good choice with their one great song.
Posted: May 19, 2006 5:04 pm

Eric had this solo childish "Art or Arse" single that I remember being really great - anyone have an extra copy? never did track that one down.
Posted: May 19, 2006 5:17 pm

Posted: May 19, 2006 5:23 pm

Mighty Caesars.
Posted: May 19, 2006 5:34 pm

Fuck you Joe, Pop Rivits are from the KBD era, dood.
Posted: May 19, 2006 5:35 pm

I actually meant to say "Mighty Caesars" and not "Milkshakes" for second favorite project. This is important shit, and must be corrected correctly.
Posted: May 19, 2006 5:41 pm

if you want an ART OR ARSE single i can grab one for you. i saw it just the other day at kims, its been there forever. nice turner prize rant on the b-side
Posted: May 19, 2006 5:47 pm

Thee Headcoatees!
Posted: May 19, 2006 5:51 pm

Thee Headcoatees!

Yeah! Fucking great stuff. I never delved too much deeper into Childish because I love singing along to Thee Headcoatees much more than boring ol' Billy.
Posted: May 19, 2006 5:52 pm

Lotta you've gotta be kidding.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:12 pm

1) Headcoats

2) Buff Medways

3) Singing Loins

At the exact second I finished typing out this list, my wife informed me that a picture of us and Billy Childish in Colorado in '96 (that I never scanned) was amongst the loot taken by the fucks that kicked down our door yesterday and robbed us. I was already mad as Hell, but now I'm furious.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:14 pm

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:16 pm

Lotta you've gotta be kidding.

I'm just not as big as a nerd as the rest of you.

What the big deal anyways? It's still Childish. I love his other stuff, I just don't go out of my way to get it all like I did with the chick stuff. I'm sure I'm missing out on lots of other great stuff, but fuck it, there already way too much music to listen to in the world.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:16 pm

You don't have to tell me. At this point the electronics and jewelry are something of an afterthought.

Those fuckers.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Thee Headcotees are half assed Headcoats.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:24 pm

Why? Because there's a bunch of chicks singing?
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:26 pm

Thee Headcotees are half assed Headcoats.

I would've said they were full assed.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:27 pm

I mean, whose ass would you prefer: Bruce's or Kyra's?
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:30 pm | Edited by: No Big Thing

I mean, whose ass would you prefer: Bruce's or Kyra's?

Edited for being 100% stupid and at least 75% mean.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:32 pm

I love the Kyra solo album! I read somewhere about Ludella and/or Kyra having an "evil-disco-dub" album. Never was able to find it.

The ludella album sucks. Holly Golightly has her own thing going on now. Didn't really care for "Slowly But Surely" but love "truly she is none other". It's got some great kinks covers. of course.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:34 pm

Oh, well, you know they say that asses are secular
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:37 pm

Why? Because there's a bunch of chicks singing?

And not playng their instruments and basically just doing Thee Headcoats catalog. If the chick thing is what you want you might as well listen to the Delmonas. They had a unique sound and songs too.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:38 pm

Yeah, the part about liking the Kyra solo record wasn't stupid or mean.

Holly Golightly can really do no wrong in my eyes.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:41 pm

Posted: May 19, 2006 6:43 pm

My favorite childish project was making mud pies and throwing them at the side of the house. Hardy har har.
Posted: May 19, 2006 6:43 pm

I've seen that. It's fun.
Posted: May 19, 2006 7:38 pm

delmonas are so much better than headcoatees its ridiculous. i almost never put on headcoatees albums cos im so sick of hearing another version of "melvin" and all those covers. i listen to delmonas all the time.

SOMEONE BUY THAT DVD DONKEY POSTED AND PUT IT ON YOUTUBE!!
Posted: May 19, 2006 7:45 pm

delmonas are so much better than headcoatees its ridiculous. i almost never put on headcoatees albums cos im so sick of hearing another version of "melvin" and all those covers. i listen to delmonas all the time.

Exactly. And their aren't any gay "apples and oranges" about it either.
Posted: May 19, 2006 7:48 pm

Posted: May 19, 2006 8:28 pm

I love the Delmonas too! But come on, but not playng their instruments and basically just doing Thee Headcoats catalog is not what they about! I don't love Thee Headcoatees because I think they're a bunch of chicks writing their songs, I love it because it Childish doing his thang and dig the vocals. It's the soundtrack to every romance I've ever had! And songs like "Come Into My Mouth" and "Fish Pie" Billy could never pull off to the same effect.
Posted: May 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Fair ennough, stupid! (smiley goes here)
Posted: May 19, 2006 8:39 pm

And, to be fair myself, there's a ton of other childish stuff that i'm sure totally rocks but i don't have the energy to buy/listen/sort through.

So any suggestions? non-thee headcoatees-childish-must-haves?
Posted: May 19, 2006 8:41 pm

Delmonas, stupid! (no smiley for not paying attention)
Posted: May 19, 2006 8:46 pm

I've already confessed to liking Delmonas! Who's not paying attention now?
Posted: May 19, 2006 8:51 pm

Stupid Joe.
Posted: May 19, 2006 9:22 pm

From the Childish stuff I've heard, The Buff Medways...
Posted: May 19, 2006 9:39 pm

I really like that album he did with Sexton Ming, "Which Dead Donkey Daddy." It's all very sea chanty-ish and that freak Sexton Ming sounds like a character from a 1940's film version of a Dickens story.
Posted: May 20, 2006 1:31 am

This is a tough one as far as favorite recordings. Caesars are probably my fav project, though Thee Headcoats 'When you stop loving me b/w Papa Doc' single is the rockinest.
Posted: May 20, 2006 1:37 am

Headcoat Sect
Posted: May 20, 2006 3:59 am

I'm tellin' youse- track down that Blackhands record! Swampy blues and jazz all Billy-ed out.
Posted: May 20, 2006 4:07 am

i swear skot and i had this same conversation at the big show at union pool except the music was so loud i couldn't hear a word he was saying.
Posted: May 20, 2006 2:03 pm | Edited by: chris c

And, to be fair myself, there's a ton of other childish stuff that i'm sure totally rocks but i don't have the energy to buy/listen/sort through.

So any suggestions? non-thee headcoatees-childish-must-haves?

the Billy Childish 101 budget starter kit!

Thee Mighty Caesars - Surely they were the Sons of God CD on Crypt
Thee Headcoats - Heavens to Murgatryod LP
Thee Milkshakes - Thee Knights of Trash LP
Posted: May 21, 2006 7:11 am

Another Headcoats vote!!!

I can't believe no one's mentioned "Headcoats Down"! Arguably the only album without on single lame song...I mean there was at least one lame song on every album, but HD kills from beginning to end!
Posted: May 21, 2006 7:26 am

Headcoats for me too. Thoughts of A Hangman ep is one of the best punk eps ever. Conundrum is my fave childish lp also. i like all of his bands but he's best at his most bitter and spiteful rather than trying than trying to capture a sound (although he does it well with milkshakes and buff medways).

stuff with Armitage Shanks is good too.
Posted: May 21, 2006 7:27 am

MOLESTED PUNK!
Posted: May 21, 2006 7:28 am

that kitchen recordings lp is neato too.
Posted: May 21, 2006 7:59 am

Wait I completely forgot Thee Stash, "What's My Name?" Jesus! One of the few covers that's better than the original! A new topic maybe...?
Posted: May 21, 2006 8:26 am

I can't believe no one's mentioned "Headcoats Down"! Arguably the only album without on single lame song.

"Knights of the Baskervilles" is flawless. To this day it provides inspiration, to me when everythings going wrong. Cuz, everything shown is to be lost, everything lost is to be found, everything found is to be owned. Everything owned is to be lost.
Posted: May 21, 2006 10:02 am

Yes, I will agree, partially...I love that album too, but the recording is a bit too clean. I like the "live" recorded sound better. With that said, "Hairs of My Chinny Chin Chin" is probably one of my favorite songs. I just wish it was a bit...dirtier...maybe? Whatever...it ain't mine!!
Posted: May 21, 2006 2:36 pm

white stripes
Posted: May 21, 2006 4:41 pm

Milkshakes never had a song as good as "Don't You Say It's A Lie." And don't you say it's a lie!

"Out of Control"
Posted: May 21, 2006 8:46 pm

i swear skot and i had this same conversation at the big show at union pool except the music was so loud i couldn't hear a word he was saying.

Skot and I had the same conversation too after the Demolition Dollrods gig about a week ago. I came out in favour of the Mighty Caesars, because they made some of the greatest punk rock records ever - the best being "Acropolis Now". That said, all of his outfits have had their moments.
Posted: May 22, 2006 7:26 pm

I was just listening to The Milkshakes Live in Germany, and the trash talk between songs is classic.

"you like that, you Germans?"
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®