Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Larry Williams & Johnny "Guitar" Watson
Posted: May 12, 2006 3:26 pm

So I can't stop listening to that song "Nobody". I heard it on the Dos Mutantes radio show Greg Cartwright DJd... Does anyone else love it? I want to hear more...any recommendations? I was thinking of getting "The Best of the Okeh Years" w/ those two, just 'cause I don't know where to start...
Posted: May 12, 2006 3:44 pm

I have the "Here's Larry Williams" CD on Specialty....I love it.
Johnny Watson's later (70's) stuff gets old REAL quick, but the early stuff's pretty darn good.
Posted: May 12, 2006 3:51 pm

Start there. The (earlier) Specialty recordings of Larry Williams are worth having - maybe more rocknroll than R'n'B (at times in the vein of Little Richard) Lots of songs you'll know from cover versions. Early Johnny Watson can be pretty wild as well (This is where he earned the moniker "Guitar") His later stuff in the 70s and 80s is greasy pimp-funk. I love it all. Favorite of the lot? "Shake Your Body Girl" by Larry Williams - Caribbean-Mod-Soul.
Posted: May 12, 2006 4:02 pm

get that live album where they do 'for your love'.
Posted: May 12, 2006 4:12 pm

thanks for the reccommendations! keep 'em coming if ya got 'em....
Posted: May 12, 2006 4:36 pm

'Nobody' is my current favorite, too. Check out a comp of Watson's early stuff, "Hot Just Like TNT."
Posted: May 12, 2006 5:33 pm

The CD to look for is "Two for the Price of One" by Johnny Guitar Watson and Larry Williams. It's was originally on Epic, but is hard to find on CD. It's from about '68. Everybody should have a copy of "Space Guitar" by Johnny Guitar Watson. Echo drenched reverb guitar insanity from late '50's. Larry Williams is awesome, look for Ace reissues of Specialty years.
Posted: May 12, 2006 7:05 pm

if you can find a copy of "A Real Mother For Ya'" it'll be worth it just for the cover. unbelievable cover!!
Posted: May 12, 2006 8:56 pm

yeah, that "two for the price of one" shit's amazing!
Posted: May 13, 2006 4:20 am

anyone wanna buy the lptwo for the price of one
$10 + shipping
Posted: May 13, 2006 6:43 am

i'd like that piece. tet68, yr in nyc? if so, maybe shipping can mean a goner meetup instead!

send word.
Posted: May 13, 2006 8:34 am

no new york for me..way out in Seattle, let me check what condition the condition is in and then..more latro
Posted: May 13, 2006 4:21 pm

Posted: May 13, 2006 7:07 pm

ok Pheezy - here's more details
OKM 12122 mono promo
plays fresh, wax has lots of sheen, some slight crackle between tracks on side 2. In '98 the wax and a decent cover would go for $20, proly more now, thing is the cover is "g" at best, hence my offer is $10 plus $5 to ship media and insure.

nobodyman@bigmailbox.net
Posted: May 14, 2006 4:40 pm

I got the Okeh 45 "A Quitter Never Wins." Real good song but very "Northern" friendly.
Posted: May 14, 2006 7:38 pm

Thanks, tet. I dropped you an email to your bigmailbox.
Posted: May 20, 2006 8:40 am

just responded again to a 5-17 message
basicly send me $15 to Bob's Records POB 31074 Sea Wa 98103
I'll send it out with insurance.
Posted: May 20, 2006 9:14 pm

The guy in Wild Guitar plays a Danelectro!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®