Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / mummies vs. sympathy
Posted: May 11, 2006 6:49 pm

why do teh mummies hate Long Gone John so much? and did two of them die a few years ago?
Posted: May 11, 2006 6:50 pm

whoops double post
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 8:22 am

You got more replies on this one.
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 12:08 pm

maybe they hated him but these days there ain't no more mummies
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 2:11 pm

If I recall correctly, somebody was talking about the animosity betwixt LGJ and the mummies in a MMR review of a mummies' bootleg. I might be wrong. I've smoked alot of pot...
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 4:27 pm

What about The Mummies vs. Billy Childish, i.e. "That's Mighty Childish"?
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 4:37 pm

I think that was more of an homage.
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 8:08 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

I thought they had some kinda spat back when, or at least I got that idea from something Mel from the Phantom Surfers once told me. Something like, Mr. Childish said that if not for him none o' those San Francisco guys would be doing what they were doing. Then they got back at him with the song. I can't remember anyway and it doesn't matter.
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 8:22 pm

CHILDISH/MUMMIES ARE BOTH A HOOT, BUT NEITHER IS THE ORIGINATOR OF ANYTHING, AT LEAST MUSIC-WISE.
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 8:45 pm

I heard Childish put out "Fuck CD's It's The Mummies" though...
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 4:55 am

[i]The Mummies vs. Billy Childish

Mike Maker told me he saw the Mummies and Childish play on the same bill years ago in Spokane
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 5:41 am

I'm sure. I know they were never enemies. I just heard the above-mentioned story & figured it was playful spite; not to be confused with something like the recent Jack White episode.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 2:42 pm

I heard Childish put out "Fuck CD's It's The Mummies" though...

No. That was a Mike Miraconda (sp?) recorded session that I believe was deliberately leaked to John at Sympathy because John was responsible for some of the bootlegs coming out at that time. Something about Mummies didn't like the sound from the session, and never paid Mike, so Mike got pissed, gave the middle finger by releasing it to John to be bootlegged. At least that was the rumor mill at the time.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 3:29 pm

No. That was a Mike Miraconda (sp?) recorded session that I believe was deliberately leaked to John at Sympathy because John was responsible for some of the bootlegs coming out at that time. Something about Mummies didn't like the sound from the session, and never paid Mike, so Mike got pissed, gave the middle finger by releasing it to John to be bootlegged.

No, that was the "Tales from the Crypt" LP/ "Fuck the Mummies" CD. "Fuck CD's It's The Mummies" was put out on Hangman Records, Billy Childish's label.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Oh, you are right Tapecase, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the title in reference. Thanks for correcting me.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 5:10 pm

"Fuck CD's..." is just the UK version of the telstar LP. "fuck the mummies" was the boot LGJ put out. it was originally intended for crypt records, i'm told, but crypt didn't want to put it out.
hookorcrook
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 7:36 pm

oh mylanta
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 8:11 pm

Whoah! I didn't know I was on a message board that had record geeks.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 9:29 pm

everyone has the "inside scoop" from reliable sources...
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 9:54 pm

"Fuck CD's..." is just the UK version of the telstar LP. "fuck the mummies" was the boot LGJ put out. it was originally intended for crypt records, i'm told, but crypt didn't want to put it out.

Well, to add to the confusion/geekiness, actually, I think the Mummies hated how the sessions came out and didn't allow Crypt to release it, didn't get along with Mariconda, etc etc.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®