Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / We Jam Econo
Posted: May 4, 2006 9:22 pm

Story of the MINUTEMEN.

everyone must see this.
Posted: May 4, 2006 9:31 pm

Yeah, this played at the Siskell theater in Chicago back in early last Fall. AMAZING!

The DVD will be available June 27, info available at http://www.theminutemen.com/home.html

There is also a trailer for the doc available off the above link.
Posted: May 4, 2006 9:33 pm

can't wait. heart minutemen.

RIP D!
Posted: May 4, 2006 9:38 pm

we saw it in Chicago - REALLY awesome - don't miss it!!!
Posted: May 4, 2006 10:06 pm

Apparently I was the only one disappointed by this. The live footage was (mostly) good, but as a documentary or means of telling the story of the Minutemen, it pretty well sucked.
Posted: May 4, 2006 10:16 pm

I dunno JJ. About the only thing I was dissapointed in with the doc was there was no interview with Spot. That kinda shocked me that Spot wasn't interviewed, and only mentioned once in the entire doc, although he was credited as supplying a good bit of the live footage.

I was ACHING to hear Spot's little whiny voice on the big screen, ACHING I tell you.

Seeing Pettibone in his studio was pretty cool.
Posted: May 4, 2006 10:44 pm

Saw it when it was touring around. Pretty rad!
Posted: May 4, 2006 11:55 pm | Edited by: JJ Champion

I dunno JJ. About the only thing I was dissapointed in with the doc was there was no interview with Spot. That kinda shocked me that Spot wasn't interviewed, and only mentioned once in the entire doc, although he was credited as supplying a good bit of the live footage.

It just seemed like the kids who made the movie had their hearts in the right place, but didn't really know what the fuck they were doing. So much obvious stuff got left out.

No interviews with peer groups like Husker Du and Meat Puppets. Why fucking FLEA but not them? I would've liked to have seen them talk to dudes from R.E.M. too, since they were obviously fans and gave 'em a big break taking 'em on that tour when the label didn't want them to. But no, it's Flea and Rollins.

Also, the way the story was told was just super linear and boring. They'd show Mike Watt sitting on the couch, looking at CDs of his records (WHY CDs?!? that bummed me out), saying "Oh this song, we wrote about this," and then cut to footage of them playing the entire song. Got old fast.

They totally glossed over "Double Nickles" and what a landmark, monster fucking record it was.

And while I know it's a super emotional subject, they should've touched more on how D Boon died. It's been a while since I saw it, but all I remember was Ian MacKaye holding up the note from Rollins that D Boon had been killed in a car crash.

And the movie is fucking called "we jam econo" but they don't even say what that fucking means!

That chapter about the Minutemen in "Our Band Could Be Your Life" tells the story of the band way better than that movie did. But hey that's just my opnion, I'm glad the rest of you dinks liked it.
Posted: May 5, 2006 12:03 am

Apparently I was the only one disappointed by this

no, i was too. for pretty much the same reasons you gave above.
Posted: May 5, 2006 12:04 am

"Our Band Could Be Your Life"

Great book.
Posted: May 5, 2006 1:09 am

we jam econo" but they don't even say what that fucking means!

I can see what you're saying, but I'm pretty positive Watt explains it in one of the old interviews...
Posted: May 5, 2006 1:40 am

Did the Big Boys come up with that sound first or did the Minutemen? ie: 'Security'
Posted: May 5, 2006 3:39 am

Minutemen are my gods, have been since I toured w/ them and REM (I was supposed to be writing about REM, ended up writing all about Minutemen). Great guys. I was disappointed with We Jam Econo, BUT happy as hell to see some old footage and to see a theatre FULL of people who came out to see it in Chicago. This is one band that is long past it's due for greater public recognition and appreciation.
Posted: May 5, 2006 5:05 am

That's pretty much how I feel, Nadine. It was great seeing the old footage, and I'll definitely buy the DVD when it's out (esp since it has more footage), but COME ON PEOPLE! Just 'cause it's a movie about an awesome band doesn't mean it's an awesome movie.
Posted: May 5, 2006 8:58 am

I could give a shit about the Minutemen, but has anybody seen "Born Into This", the Bukowski thing, yet? If so, question: Is it mainly just silent footage of him sync'd up with him reading poetry? Or are there alot of interviews and actual documentary stuff? Because the few clips of it I have seen look like cheesy spoken word video clips. I'm hoping the entire film isn't just that...over and over....
Posted: May 5, 2006 9:30 am

but COME ON PEOPLE! Just 'cause it's a movie about an awesome band doesn't mean it's an awesome movie.

some things simply bear repeating
Posted: May 5, 2006 3:55 pm

I can see your points JJ. I thought they did give proper points to DNOTD, and actually liked how they didn't focus on Boone's death any further. But I can see the rest of your points pretty solid.
Posted: May 5, 2006 4:05 pm

SGS: there's actually documentary-type stuff of Bukowski in Born Into This. Footage of him at home, driving around LA, pointing out the post office, etc. It's definitely worth your time if you're a fan.

And, I liked We Jam Econo for the footage. But, yeah, read the chapter in OBCBYL first, if yr Minutemen knowledge is lacking.
Posted: May 5, 2006 5:16 pm

50% of it is live footage and the other 50% is first hand accounts. Not going to argue whether it was good or not b/c there's no point to it...I respect that. I liked this film muchmuch.

BUT
I have to correct some of you...

I was dissapointed in with the doc was there was no interview with Spot. --Yes in fact there was an interview with Spot. I distinctly remember 2 interviews with Spot.

No interviews with peer groups like Husker Du --I seem to remember a husker du member interview as well.

Why fucking FLEA --possibly b/c he's from the same area, mad rich and famous and has been siting Mike Watt/Minutemen/Firehose as primary influences since WAY back when RHCP was actually cool/progressive.

"Oh this song, we wrote about this," and then cut to footage of them playing the entire song. Got old fast. --actually he was far more vebose/descriptive and as far as music documentary's go I was impressed by the fact that they DID show full live songs and not just snippets. Cheers to that.

They totally glossed over "Double Nickles" and what a landmark, monster fucking record it was. --nope. They spent at least 10 minutes on that album. Live songs and talking about it and what a badass record it was.

It's been a while since I saw it, but all I remember was Ian MacKaye holding up the note from Rollins that D Boon had been killed in a car crash. --there was more to it than that and luckily they didn't make it all schmaltzy as hell.

And the movie is fucking called "we jam econo" but they don't even say what that fucking means! --do you need it spelled out for you? "WE"= the band "JAM"=a stlye of music compostion or 'non-composition' OR 'to hussle' "ECONO"=Economically/DIY OR refering to an Econo-Line Van which was choice means of travel for Mike Watt and band(and countless other travelling bands). -Sheesh. In my opinion--Great Fucking Title.

I think the filmmakers did a great job at making a simple/'linear' film that needed to be made about a DIY band without making it all slick and try to make them look cooler or slicker than they actually were.
Posted: May 5, 2006 5:31 pm

I was dissapointed in with the doc was there was no interview with Spot. --Yes in fact there was an interview with Spot. I distinctly remember 2 interviews with Spot.

Could there be a possibility there are different edits of this then? Cause the one I saw in Chicago definately did not have a Spot interview. Which shocked me. And I watched for him in the credits and he was only credited with providing much of the live footage.
Posted: May 5, 2006 5:35 pm

-do you need it spelled out for you?

I know what it means, ding-a-ling, but they don't explain it in the movie to anyone who might not be familiar with the phrase, and since it's pretty much a cornerstone philosophy of the band, it's a pretty glaring oversight.
Posted: May 5, 2006 5:52 pm | Edited by: flesheater99

yr a glaring oversight.

I guess it's possible that there are different edits...and there is supposed to be tons and tons more on the 'extras' section but that I didn't see.
Posted: May 5, 2006 6:27 pm

try to make them look cooler or slicker than they actually were.

Now I love the Minutemen, but this task would be nigh impossible.
Some ugly slobby dudes!
Posted: May 5, 2006 6:54 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

That SST slob look annoyed the skate punks almost as much as it did the preps. Most of the guys on that label looked like they got style advice from the Spahn-era Manson family.

The Minutemen were great. Double Nickels was my soundtrack, but I just can't get inspired to see a film about them. I know all I need to know.
Posted: May 5, 2006 7:19 pm

The skate punk look of that era was sloppy too, but very cute in its way. Flannels, shredded long cutoffs, written on white tees and thermals. And good hair.

This way before the idiot G&S look.
Posted: May 5, 2006 9:06 pm

The NOLA showing at One Eyed Jacks sponsored bt Rocks Off was killed by Katrina, as was the KLOMB BBQ CD release party....as was the actual store....alas....
Posted: May 6, 2006 3:11 am

the Bukowski thing
the local library has copies of "Bukoski Reads in Bellevue.
I guess the community college brought him up back in the 70s
and the dam docu style drain the wine right out of his face.
I mean who wants to see 80% of the frame filled by
the stage curtains and the card table? Maybe they didn't
have a zoom lens, but I wanted closeups, see that pot marked face

Is the film you mention a docu?
Posted: May 6, 2006 6:49 am

im going to get it just for the live footage. i have that bukowski at bellevue dvd and watched it once. id much rather read his books or maybe see a documentary. ill watch barfly again before the bellevue thing.
Posted: May 6, 2006 3:18 pm

Saw this, it was ok. A little off the mark. But what do you mean by REM, Husker Du, etc? "We Jam" is pretty must a straight ahead fisting movie, I didn't notice any...whoa hang on! I think I'm way off base here! HEH! LOL

FAX MEEEEEEEEE
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®