Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Ponys in Allstate commercieal
Posted: May 3, 2006 4:19 pm

"We shot the World". Just saw it on comedy central
Posted: May 3, 2006 4:56 pm

This is terrific! Now all of you idiots will hate them, they will enter the mainstream without any hesitation, and I will make oodles and oodles of cash on their 7-inches!

I love this country!
Posted: May 3, 2006 4:59 pm

Hey Fatty, I think most people on here hated their last album pretty throughly.
I predict they will be playing the adult contemporary music convention in Louisville in 2007 or 2008 (if they're still a band). Additionally, I will still think they are alright.
Posted: May 3, 2006 5:04 pm

The Big Neck and SSLD singles are AWESOME! Also the last song on the first album. And the ITR single, but I don't have it. Paddy Bullocks used to spin it at Penetration! all the time. That party would have been dope if anybody came.
Posted: May 3, 2006 5:16 pm

wait - whats the rarest single?.....yeah - that's the one I like the most. best single ever, man.
Posted: May 3, 2006 5:19 pm

Their last album was great!!! I'm glad they ditched the sissy-boy, but I have a feeling the songwriting may suffer without him. As much as I fucking hate his voice/lyrics, his songs always had killer riffs. What I've heard of his new band is consistent with this. The next Ponys record could potentially blow - but I remain hopeful.
Posted: May 3, 2006 5:21 pm

wait - whats the rarest single?.....yeah - that's the one I like the most. best single ever, man.

Ha ha! Pardon the pun, but that's music to my ears!
Posted: May 3, 2006 5:21 pm

I wonder how much this news will up the Contaminated single with the transparent sleeve.
Posted: May 3, 2006 5:29 pm

is 'we shot the world' the 'love will tear us apart' song? i seriously love that shit (and i'm not even big into joy division, go figure)
Posted: May 3, 2006 5:46 pm

wow: ponys, allstate, and comedy central. somehow sounds like poetry to me.
Posted: May 3, 2006 5:56 pm

poetry
queer
Posted: May 3, 2006 6:29 pm

I hope they got paid well for it.
Posted: May 3, 2006 6:33 pm

i'm sure they'll make some money but why can't my friends bands get 'cool' commercials like for douches, adult diapers, herpes meds and preperation h?
Posted: May 3, 2006 6:36 pm

there's always hope for Camaro Rouge.....
Posted: May 3, 2006 6:50 pm

I fucking LOVE the Ponys.
Posted: May 3, 2006 6:57 pm

ditto
Posted: May 3, 2006 7:13 pm

The Ponys are good.
Posted: May 3, 2006 7:44 pm

shouldn't they be getting hounded into doing "my little pony" spots? i'd love to hear jared sing "my little pony, sparkle pony".

i'm gonna work on that for them.
Posted: May 3, 2006 9:48 pm

I've always liked the ponys. "Shadow Box" would make a good douche commercial
Posted: May 3, 2006 10:36 pm

they're fun to see too
Posted: May 3, 2006 10:43 pm

yeah ponys!

caught the ponys action at SXSW w/ the new guitarist and it sounded GREAT. Dune-style wildworm guitar noise attack. It was ALIVE.

Don't count em out yet.
Posted: May 3, 2006 10:45 pm

I saw 'em with the new guy not too long ago and they ripped it, despite not having slept in forever.
Posted: May 4, 2006 1:30 am

i still like that big neck single and whomever mentioned the last song on the last record was on the money.

i wanna fuck you is an AWESOME song. i'm gonna listen to it now.
Posted: May 4, 2006 1:34 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

i still like that big neck single and whomever mentioned the last song on the last record was on the money.

I mentioned them both, but I said the last song on the first LP. I'm never wrong. Sort of.
Posted: May 4, 2006 1:38 am

I'm happy for friends when they start making some $$ off what they enjoy doing. I never got these folks who call that happening "selling out" or whatever. Go Ponys!!
Posted: May 4, 2006 1:48 am

joe, i'm not drunk but i've had a few so you may be right. as soon as bo diddley is done i'll put that record on and find out.
Posted: May 4, 2006 1:53 am

joe was right.
Posted: May 4, 2006 1:54 am

Just telling it like it is.
Posted: May 4, 2006 2:03 am

pony's free show at sxsw was the first thing we saw and it was amazing! sounded great, played great!!! and the destructo seventeen times louder than anything else keyboard was out of control!! too much fun looking at the faces of some of the industry folks there when that thing turned up!
Posted: May 4, 2006 2:03 am

i liked ian's songs.
Posted: May 4, 2006 2:09 am

i like ian's songs now, can't wait for that album.
Posted: May 4, 2006 2:13 am

I'd love to hear what Ian's doing. He's a cool motherfucker and musically smart as hell. I just jammed the first song on 'Laced With Romance' and that song is really good, and "Sad Eyes" was particularly on it. I just now realized though that "Little Friend" was on this LP, but the Big Neck version is far superior.
Posted: May 4, 2006 2:34 am

I just now realized though that "Little Friend" was on this LP, but the Big Neck version is far superior.
Yeah, I agree. The last time I'd seen them, they performed the aforementioned song, sans Ian.
Posted: May 4, 2006 2:56 am

I'd love to hear what Ian's doing

http://www.myspace.com/thesubmarineraces
Posted: May 4, 2006 4:36 am

all the cool people, the ones that shop at Nordstroms and listen to KEXP in the morning driving their BMW, they love the Pony's and the same people love the Black Angels too.
Posted: May 4, 2006 5:14 am

I liked that one song, "I love you cause you look like me" - That was the Pony's right? I bought that record for Amanda Stanfill for her birthday last year.
Posted: May 4, 2006 2:30 pm

Jered's one of the nicest, most genuine dudes there is. I like his shit way more than Ian's, but I do really dig some of the stuff on the The Submarine Races album (out now or coming soon to In the Red).
Posted: May 4, 2006 3:16 pm

the first time i meet Jared he was 16, sitting on the other side of a mutual friend's bedroom drinking whisky with this kid Josh, while they pointed at me, laughed, and called me a faggot. i don't think he remembers this though, cause they were pretty wasted, and he doesn't call me faggot anymore, even though he probably should.
Posted: May 4, 2006 3:19 pm

Everybody in that band is nothing but good vibes. And distortion.
Posted: May 4, 2006 3:19 pm

I'm bummed that, tonight, I was treated like a total stranger for asking to just, ya know, get free health insurance from All State. I'm broke, and I spent $10 to buy a fucking Ponys CD, and at the insurance office I was treated like I was just some random fucking idiot who had never seen the Ponys before. Bullshit. I'm calling it.
Posted: May 4, 2006 3:35 pm

Everybody in that band is nothing but good vibes.
yeah, i don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. we're all friends. i just like the story of the circumstances under which we first meet.

I'm broke, and I spent $10 to buy a fucking Ponys CD, and at the insurance office I was treated like I was just some random fucking idiot

awesome
Posted: May 4, 2006 3:45 pm

hey bjoe, i think i have the itr single, i never listen to it. want it?
Posted: May 4, 2006 3:47 pm

Sure, ok! I'll trade you for a mix cd. Send me an email!
Posted: May 4, 2006 4:42 pm

Penetration! all the time. That party would have been dope if anybody came.

A lot of things woulda been cool if YOU came. Harharhar!!
Posted: May 4, 2006 4:49 pm

I'm sure they were better off w/o me. I wish I could go out more. Living in Queens and being poor sucks. I do have a fridge full of food though! Come over, we'll have tacos.
Posted: May 4, 2006 4:56 pm

bj, you and 16 should move in above me. it's smaller than your pad, but it's only a grand and it's in the 'hood. all your records would fit, you could still have bands crash--but you wouldn't be able to have all night sock hops.

'course i'd hear you doing it, and, uh, it goes to reason that someday you'd hear me doing it, but, dude at this point we're rock family!
Posted: May 4, 2006 5:06 pm

No.
Posted: May 4, 2006 5:31 pm | Edited by: dale

Ian voice creeps me out...but not in a good way. Oh, and I like the Ponys though that second album bored the shit out of me.
Posted: May 4, 2006 5:46 pm

LUFF LUFFFF LUF!
Posted: May 4, 2006 6:51 pm

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about Ian's voice. I much (much much much) prefer Jared's, but I think Ian's a really good songwriter.
Posted: May 4, 2006 6:58 pm

I think most people on here hated their last album pretty throughly.

and the first one.
Posted: May 4, 2006 9:50 pm

Allstate might be the corporation to end all corporations. It is so corporate and crappy and eats its insureds and the people they run into, like a wolf eating little bunnies left unattended by the mother rabbit in the wild. If you want to go corporate, well these are the cocksuckers to sell yourself to (either them or Nationwide).
Posted: May 4, 2006 10:10 pm

i never know whether to think things like this are the result of someone in marketing having a decent ear for music or if it is just the more sinister end of an idea such as we control everything, we have all the money, go and do your stupid songs which people will enjoy and become attached to because we can buy and sell them and render them useless on a whim.
Posted: May 4, 2006 10:14 pm

BOREDING! You all suck at good music.
Posted: May 4, 2006 10:50 pm

Richard-

What shit likes this boils down to, is that there happen to be young(ish) people working at advertising agencies who have good-to-reasonably-good taste in music. They pitch songs to their superiors, or use songs they like as placeholders while pitching the ad to the client and sometimes, the client likes the song and they're able to secure the rights to use it.

In other cases, there are actually agencies that try and pitch "cutting edge" music to advertising agencies in exchange for a comission. I know of a couple of people in bands who have dealt w/ this sort of thing.
Posted: May 5, 2006 3:48 am

And the rights to use a song by say, the Ponys, costs pennies compared to a song by say, the Who. And I am SO SICK of hearing the synth keyboard beginning of Baba O'Reily in every fucking commercial.
Posted: May 5, 2006 4:10 am

pony's free show at sxsw was the first thing we saw and it was amazing!

The show at Emos? I like them, but that show wasn't very good...and the requisite feedback montage to end the set ...yawn....why do people do that?

i liked ian's songs.

I agree 100%... I like the Pony's because of the multiple singers/songwriters.... I love Brian, but the band isn't the same...the 2nd album showed that....
Posted: May 5, 2006 5:06 am

You're in the demographic of people who like the Ponys, you're in the demographic of people who oughta be buying insurance.
Posted: May 5, 2006 5:14 am

"I love Brian, but the band isn't the same...the 2nd album showed that...."

the 2nd album has Ian & Ian's songs on it....
Posted: May 5, 2006 8:14 am

"I love Brian, but the band isn't the same...the 2nd album showed that...."

The Rolling Stones?
Posted: May 5, 2006 8:46 am

but I do really dig some of the stuff on the The Submarine Races album
Are you hetrosexual? Or just a fey boy who pretends to be. That stuff is-um-not very hetrosexual sounding music.
Posted: May 5, 2006 2:45 pm

I'll show you how "fey" I am if I ever meet you. You seem pretty obessesed with every other man's sexuality for a supposed hetero.
Posted: May 5, 2006 7:27 pm

I'm gay in the butt.

Meet me at the submarine races!
Posted: May 5, 2006 7:31 pm

TRA LA LA!
TRA LA LA LA!
TRA LA LA LA LA LA LA LAAAA!
Posted: May 5, 2006 7:50 pm

yeah, i've seen trickknee in person. that dude is NOT fey.
Posted: May 5, 2006 8:01 pm

SO SICK of hearing the synth keyboard beginning of Baba O'Reily in every fucking commercial.

or fuckin' "lust for life"
Posted: May 5, 2006 8:19 pm

Eventually Todd's gonna have to fight half of Michigan.
Posted: May 5, 2006 9:04 pm

the 2nd album has Ian & Ian's songs on it....

my bad.....the 2nd album just isn't my favorite then....
Posted: May 5, 2006 10:19 pm

You know I could do it, Dale! I'm starting with the Yoo Pee. Funny thing is I said I liked some of the stuff on the The Submarine Races album.
Posted: May 5, 2006 10:20 pm

it goes to reason that someday you'd hear me doing it,

Yeah, right.
Posted: May 5, 2006 10:28 pm

I think I am Ian's number one fan. I love everything he's ever done.

Submarine Races single on Shit Sandwich very very soon.
Posted: May 5, 2006 10:43 pm

I feel sorry for the U.P. They don't wanna be Michigan but aren't quite Wisconsin.

I've heard a couple of the Submarine Races songs. I'll pass on the rest.

The new Black Time album CRUSHES!!!
Posted: May 5, 2006 10:52 pm

Yo, where is it? Did Bancroft put it out?
Posted: May 5, 2006 10:55 pm

No...the new one on In The Red. I got a CD of it today. The Black Time single on Bancroft will be out in a few weeks (I think I'm through with using URP after this one though).
Posted: May 5, 2006 11:10 pm

you might not want to start with the up. theyre isolated and crazy. beware! perhaps you first wage war in Schoolcraft, MI. they will never know what him em
Posted: May 6, 2006 6:55 am

Is Bad Axe in da U.P.? I am 'vacationing' there in July. Also, did anyone else listen to Da Yoopers when they were 8?
Posted: May 7, 2006 4:57 am | Edited by: tkrichards

I'll show you how "fey" I am if I ever meet you. You seem pretty obessesed with every other man's sexuality for a supposed hetero.Everybody's tough over the internet. the Submarine Race are bad ass dood. Do you lift weights and listen to things from the Sarah records discography?
Posted: May 7, 2006 2:33 pm

Sounds good, faggot. People don't like you because you're a retard, not because you're "controversial."
Posted: May 7, 2006 5:02 pm | Edited by: dale

I own some stuff by Sarah records bands. I don't lift weights to them though. I think the both of you need to calm the fuck down.
Posted: May 7, 2006 6:59 pm

Is Bad Axe in da U.P.?

no..its like 2 hour north of detroit...er so..by the "thumb" area. Da Yoopers...didnt dey do tirty point buck..?
Posted: May 7, 2006 7:24 pm

Bad Axe is in the thumb. North of Ubly, West of Harbor Beach. A couple of hours NW of where I'm sitting.
Posted: May 7, 2006 8:32 pm

People don't like you because you're a retard, not because you're "controversial."not that I ever claimed otherwise but who are these people?
Posted: May 7, 2006 8:51 pm

i was subjected to Da Yoopers on many camping trips. way too many
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®