Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / What is the most obscure band you like?
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 5:54 pm

So obscure that fellow Goners probably wouldn't know of them?
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 6:10 pm

Ed Nasty and the Dopeds.
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 6:17 pm

I wanna hear some stuff that is less known than Les Rallizes Denudes.
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 6:19 pm

Why Is Mary Crying?
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 6:26 pm

US Maple, Coughs, Purient, Friends Forever , Friends For Friends, Acid Mothers Temple and the Melting Paraiso U.F.O., Maldoror, Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, Melt Banana, John Zorn - Various Projects(too many to name)...

Not saying no one on this board knows about these but, they're not really hot topics here.
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 6:28 pm

D.C. Talk! Jesus Freak rules!
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 6:30 pm

yeah... im with grouchbutt... anything from the family christian bookstores... including christian hip-hop
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 6:35 pm

I actually went to a christian bookstore a couple weeks ago and had this mother fucker workin. I had him lookin for shit he didn't know if he had or not. I was askin for DC talk and Carman and Petra...I asked him to order the Carman Live DVD because I wanted to see if he'd do it for a guy lookin like me.
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 6:35 pm

ESPECIALLY Christian hip-hop! I like it when they say "Word", and they really mean the Bible!
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 6:37 pm

Just tell them your appearance is a "witnessing tool". You can get away with almost anything that way.
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 7:39 pm

The Coke Machines & the Risky Eggs!!

They're so obscure they don't even exist.
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 7:40 pm

Sherry, are you still drunk from yesterday?
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 7:41 pm

Mangina
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 7:47 pm

point line plane, their first album was the best punk album of the 21st century. their second album sucks.
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 7:49 pm

I love the coughs!! those kids rule!

Also, El Tarro de Mostaza, Toncho Pilatos, and most of the stuff La Onda reissues
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 7:51 pm

The Spines, this old keyboard punk band from NYC back in the 70s. They are similar in sound to Los Reactors. I asked so many people about this band but no one remembers them at all even though they released a few records.

I wonder if they are a fake group
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 7:52 pm

American Lesion
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 8:03 pm

Livefastdie
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 8:13 pm

Witch's Placenta!
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 8:13 pm

Da Slyme (Newfie Punk)
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 9:12 pm

U3
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 9:17 pm

Black Jack. Estrus put record out in 97. Deleted shortly after brawl with Makers at Garageshock.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:02 am

I saw Black Jack at the Matador a few years ago. Good show.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:10 am

Madonna

Metallica

Madonnica
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:20 am

Deleted shortly after brawl with Makers at Garageshock.

I was there and witnessed all.....they were total dicks --ON STAGE-- disrespecting ALL of the the Asian people in the crowd [Mad 3 and much MORE]....shit how'd it go....brain cells don't fail me now....he said something about "seriously though, all Asians really aren't cheap bastards, they're just.....[oh god TET...I need you]....

Anyways....one of 'em asked Donnie Maker why he was drinking a girl drink [cape cod] and that was the last straw, Donnie let 'em have it......and then that singer Glen Danzig MF wannabe [same stance, hair, glare = gay!] went outside and got in his black Smokey & The Bandit Trans Am Firebird w/ the gold Firebird on the hood & shit, gold rims and t-tops....HA!

They were staying in the same SMALL hotel as us [and Lord High Fixers] and the next morning there was a sign sitting in their window, written on the back of a PBR 12-pk box, that read "Garageshock is for gays" and Beth Kerr taped a "That's why you were invited" sign jsut below it on the outside!!!! PARTY!! I got a photo!

I don't shit about the band, but when they came on, jsut about everyone was confused. It was very akward. Like, who the fuck are 'these' metalheads? It was total metal, right? Just didn't fit the bill.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:25 am

Are you talking about The Makers?
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:29 am

Black Jack. Estrus put record out in 97. Deleted shortly after brawl with Makers at Garageshock.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:33 am | Edited by: Whiskey Bent

Ohhhh!! I think they said ON STAGE "you wanna know why everything in Japan is so fucking small? Cause they're cheap bastards".....couldda heard a pin drop.

Don't quote me on that......BOBOLI help!
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:37 am

only 7 minutes in the oven and you'll have a wonderful pizzeria...Boboli Italian pizza bread shell.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:39 am

No. You were supposed to do this:

Ohhhh!! I think they said ON STAGE "you wanna know why everything in Japan is so fucking small? Cause they're cheap bastards".....couldda heard a pin drop.

There. I just quoted myself on that. You're fired.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:39 am

US Maple,

i saw them about 10 years ago in boston and they were absolutely hated by the crowd. the vitriol was amazing. i liked them ok, wasn't blown away but i wasn't throwing coins at them either.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:40 am

oh shit...They got coined?
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:47 am

yeah, and at least one shoe was thrown. i hope that jackass had to walk home or better yet, take the fucking t home with one unshod foot. the most disgusting fluids in the northeast have been percolating in those subway tunnels for the past hundred years. jackass.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:57 am

Sherry are you wasted or am I just not wasted enough? WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?????
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:59 am

I have three more minutes at work. So no.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:59 am

But soon.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 1:05 am

Black Scabbith
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 1:17 am

BOBOLI help
me too..that metal Black Jack was such a gimmick, Mike had to make that move.. course 'bout a year later the boys from Spokane went to japan, made big splash and then floated on ego, moved to C town, flopped and now are opening 2nd billing in a week at the Crock.

Vic Mostly is presenting Billy Childish tonight at the alt country venue here in town, same place Reckless Eric played couple of days ago..

Me, I'm still going to Girl Trouble shows and buyin' beer for Rockin' Rod Strychnine
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 2:40 am

the Black Crowes
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 5:32 am

Problem
Yachts
Donkeys
Skuds
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 5:47 am

The Aints
Psychotic Turnbuckles
Sheek The Shayk
The Lizard Train
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 5:55 am

Psychotic Turnbuckles

They on some KBD thing or something.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 6:26 am

mustache school
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 7:13 am

They on some KBD thing or something.

No they're Australian wrestling fuzzpunkers.
http://www.psychoticturnbuckles.com/
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 12:07 pm

The Solid Statesmen.
thier total output was a 45 on on empty & one on bag of hammers, plus a track on a 'songs about drinking' comp & a cassette comp that also had songs by the statics & the evaporators on it.
the last show i saw by them was the same night the ramones & mudhoney played bumbershoot in seattle in 96 - so i saw mudhoney get pelted by hundreds of lemons by angry ramones fans, then later that night i went to the lake union pub with about 7 other people and saw the solid statesmen play one of their last shows.
except for the sun being blotted out by flying fruit, the lake union pub show was better.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 4:32 pm

US Maple opened for Rocket From the Tombs when they played Toronto. I thought they were absolutely terrible but it looks like they have some fans because there were a bunch of people there who went apeshit for them and left before RFTT.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 5:52 pm

Video Nasty were a pretty good lo-fi Mpls. punk band from circa 97-98. Another good Mpls. punk band from those go-go 90's were the Creepers. Featuring the vocal talents of St. Paddy Costello.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 9:18 pm

Thee Insects- Weird half-vocal half-surf insturmental band from Manitowoc, WI circa the early 90's. Basically a wanna be Estrus records band, never put out a record, hardly played any shows. I guess if I mentioned that I was breifly in it, that would spoil any good intentions mentioning them has.

The Slut Boys- late 70's party/garage band from Tampa Bay, Florida who suppousedly went for a Stooges/Stones rocknroll punk thing. Never put out a record. Sounded too good to be true, but my friend's mom used to hang out with them in high school, and backs this up. She finally had the guitarist over for dinner once, so my band could bug him about it. Claims he has reel-to-reel tapes of it, and says it sounds like Stooges/Ramones shit. Seemed like a normal, boring middle aged guy who had no reason to lie about it. Tried to explain to him that there is a small cult around stuff like that, didn't seem to care. Told me he would try to give us a tape of the reel-to-reel, never talked to him again.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 9:52 pm

Jethro Hat
Fog Tull
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 10:06 pm

ALright, since favorite local bands are fair game.....

The Helltones - Missoula,MT rock band that did Little Walter and Sonny Boy Williamson II covers. Singer whose voice sounded like it was shredded by glass shards. Retarded harp solos because he couldn't play and a strong rhythm section to hold it all together. John, curretnly in the Oblio Joe's and owner of Ear Candy Records in Missoula, was their bass player. He gave me some demos and I had them transferred to cd so I wouldn't lose them. Still pull them out occasionally.

Honorable mention from Missoula: Thee Hedons. Sooprize Package cover, Kissin Cousins cover, and Squad Car cover. Originals with titles like Two Beer Queer and Kinky Hot Sluts at the Dairy Queen. Kinda surfy, kinda rip off recordy, all fun. They introduced me to a lot of great songs through their variety of covers.

Currently, Demolition Derby from Lexington, IL. Hell Hard forty-somethings that love rockin' and put on one hell of a show. If you don't know you betta ask somebody!
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 10:09 pm | Edited by: clif

probably not necessary to say, but both helltones and hedons were late '90's early '00 bands. Long gone unfortunately.

Demoltion Derby however will rock your ass anytime. They're a rock monster alive and kickin' ass.
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 11:54 pm

I am pretty sure most people should be into The Band. Because they're the best band ever.
Posted: Apr 30, 2006 12:40 am

i could utter every 80's russian band i like.... it would be a pretty long list....
Posted: Apr 30, 2006 3:18 pm

THE QUEEN HATERS
Posted: Apr 30, 2006 11:54 pm

American Lesion
some of those guys did another band called angola silencers and they played one show at 1297 madison. i was supposed to sing for them but i moved. they might have played another show but i'm unaware of it.

the onyas. i dig them
Posted: May 1, 2006 1:35 am

METAL TEETH!!!
Posted: May 1, 2006 3:24 am

angola silencers
Yep.

http://www.myspace.com/mcmarlin
BBQ 2006
Posted: May 1, 2006 4:27 am

Bad News (the Sack O' Shit band)
Posted: May 1, 2006 5:07 am

The New Creation, this Christian garage rock band from Vancouver circa 1970 that put out one really good and very bizarre LP that was limited to like 50 - 100 copies before it got re-issued in 2004 (www.companionrecords.com). Its kind of Shaggs-esque in its earnestness and lack of musical prowess, but sounding more (unintentionally) like the Velvet Underground in the process.
Posted: May 2, 2006 10:56 am

talleywacker tabernacle
amish armada
Posted: May 2, 2006 3:48 pm

amish armada

Their guitar player Mike teaches at the kid's music school i run.
Posted: May 2, 2006 6:39 pm

point line plane, their first album was the best punk album of the 21st century.

Woah, slow down there soldier. That record's OK, and grows wearier with time.

Orchid Spangiaforia: early cut-up wackies

And US Maple aren't particularly obscure. But they are great.

Some great original spazz rock the kids might like: Stickmen (from Philly; reissued), Girls (Boston; reish), Come On (NY; ditto).

Ah, but Redness from Cleave are still obscuro-kings. Oh, and KMO from Holland ("Do The Residue").
Posted: May 2, 2006 6:53 pm

Scary Hand Band
Posted: May 2, 2006 8:59 pm

My old band played with Black Jack in Portland and they brought the lamest heavy metal crowd of our whole tour. The singer is from Vegas and lives here again now. The Makers thing was too bad because the guy loves Japanese bands and was trying to be ironic, but he had it coming for other reasons. I'm sorry though if you like their music.
Posted: May 2, 2006 8:59 pm

David Bowie.
Posted: May 2, 2006 9:11 pm

ku klux frankenstein
Posted: May 3, 2006 1:43 am

black eye busted lip
Posted: May 3, 2006 1:47 am

wet labia
Posted: May 3, 2006 8:15 am

I suppose the most notorious of the "obscure" bands that I like would be the following:

The Fucking Flyin' A-Heads

Christ Child

The Wicked Lady

Crent
Posted: May 3, 2006 1:47 pm

Posted: May 4, 2006 12:58 am

magma
Posted: May 7, 2006 3:22 pm

the dissidents- conformity is deformity
Posted: May 7, 2006 3:32 pm

wizzard sleeve .... my hot new merlin-on-merlin techno super-group
Posted: May 7, 2006 6:26 pm

Skin Flute
Bumper McGhee and the Sloppy Dumpling Gang
Young People in Love
Space AIDS
Sons of Thunder
Posted: May 7, 2006 6:27 pm

THE FATALS!!!!!!!
Posted: May 7, 2006 7:26 pm

SONIC CHICKEN 4!

The Thing With Two Heads will now also be knowns as the Sonic Chicken 2!
Posted: May 7, 2006 8:11 pm

Arman listing Ku Klux Frankenstein reminded me how much I like the (also Australian, and MIA) Butcher Shop.
Current obscurity that I'm diggin' is Endless Boogie (props to Jenna for the head's up)
Posted: May 7, 2006 8:19 pm

Puke Spit and Guts
Posted: May 7, 2006 10:58 pm

Fraser and DeBolt
Posted: May 7, 2006 11:15 pm

Automusik
Posted: May 7, 2006 11:37 pm

THE FATALS!!!!!!!
hey Jasper..whats the name of that band you told me about..Anomly's..???
Posted: May 7, 2006 11:40 pm

La Dusseldorf
any Swiss Alpine music.
Plastic Bertrand
Hubble Bubble
Jay Jay's
Kids of Whitney High
Posted: May 8, 2006 5:46 am

black debbath
darkest of the hillside thickets
sobering consequences
flag of democracy
goodbye harry
bhopal stiffs
Posted: May 8, 2006 6:29 am

False Facade. Maestro Subgum & the Whole...
Posted: May 8, 2006 3:33 pm

Plastic Bertrand isn't really that obscure, it's noted that he is one of the most famous Belgians ever.
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:18 pm

Jan Terri!
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:26 pm

dickie shockie and the razor ball boys
funky magoo
ed naddz
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®