Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / status quo
Posted: Apr 24, 2006 3:01 pm

any of it worth getting? That limey stuff is hit or miss for me.

Paging Theresa K....
Posted: Apr 24, 2006 3:51 pm

quit actin' like you guys don't have any of this stuff and spill it.
Posted: Apr 24, 2006 3:59 pm

maybe some of the early stuff. even that is pretty dull.
Posted: Apr 24, 2006 4:09 pm | Edited by: jenna

i've got an early live double LP that does me right. i can't recall the title. it's total 70s rock.

my friend's girlfriend had a status quo, hand-painted jean jacket in high school. there's no shame.
Posted: Apr 24, 2006 4:47 pm

my friend's girlfriend had a status quo, hand-painted jean jacket in high school. there's no shame.

I would have loved a jacket like that back in high school...

Status Quo are so underrated here in the states. Most people know them only for their Matchstick Men tune, but they rocked harder later. They may not be for everyone, but I love them....just straight out great 70's boogie rock, simple and catchy, no frills rock n' roll...like AC/DC, Vardis, Spider, Rose Tatto, etc....

They had some great albums from '72-'77...Hello, Quo, Blue For You, On The Level, Piledriver to name a few...they do have a lot of releases so you could go with a "Best Of", but stick with the '72-'77 material.

Check out the tune "Roll Over Lay Down"...pretty much sums them up nicely.
Posted: Apr 24, 2006 5:18 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

The Status Quo BBC sessions are worthwhile if you can locate them cheap. "Pictures of Matchstick Men" is one of the great pop-psych tunes. I agree, they are underrated.
Posted: Apr 24, 2006 5:38 pm

Status Quo - dr. phibes pretty much hits it. and you really DO need to hear the original "Pictures of Matchstick Men" rather than a bad cover

If I'm not getting my memories all blurred into one, I think Status Quo may have been the band that opened the original Live Aid (on the UK side). The Brits LOVE them but they never really made a dent in the States. Guess a lot of bands they influenced stole their thunder
Posted: Apr 24, 2006 6:21 pm

I like all of their shit. heavy boogie! they still play fairs and shit in england, wish they would come here.
Posted: Apr 25, 2006 6:16 pm

They're actually still around and recording. They were one of the biggest groups in Britain in the 70's and 80's. Apparently, they've had more British hit singles than any other group. Anyway, they're like the Ramones of the boogie rock world. You always know what you're going to get. I'd guess most people over there have never heard "Pictures of Matchstick Men", but they surely know tunes like "Down Down", "Caroline", "Roll Over Lay Down", "Rockin' All Over the World", "Whatever You Want", etc.
Posted: Apr 25, 2006 11:33 pm

All I know is the 'Quo is Les Battersby's fave band. He's the lovable delinquent on Coronation Street, and when he blasts it in the back yard, the neighbors complain. I like what I heard.
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 12:01 am

when he blasts it in the back yard, the neighbors complain.

that's the official endorsement of rock n roll, isn't it?
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 1:48 am

Doing "Caroline" on German tv '74 (beware lots of demin)

Two part dramatic appearance on Coronation Street

Quo hang around the pub in this one then punch Les out

They perform at Les's wedding in this one
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 5:58 am

Crank up the Camper Van B. remake of this, smoke a doob, and let's frat party 1988 style can we brahs? Pictures of matchstick men indeed...
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 6:08 am

About 5 years ago a British guy came into Record Time and said "I have the largest Status Quo record collection in the midwest and I want to sell it." It was a gigantic collection. He wanted to buy his girlfriend a nice engagement ring was the story. We gave him a fair price and cut him a check. The next day his girlfriend came in REBOUGHT the entire collection at our retail price (she refused to take a discount even when I offered it too her) because "he proved he really loves me."
Posted: Apr 26, 2006 6:22 am

How much does a Status Quo record collection go for? Just curious. I'm thinking Status Quo records vs. diamond ring would be < in favor of the ring.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®