Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / JON SPENCER and other rock n' roll ruminations
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:04 pm | Edited by: jenna

i'm a jon spencer fan. i have been since the first time I heard what he was doing. pussy galore tore me up but I never saw them live. but when I first saw the blues explosion, i nearly died at the pure black leather-jacketed musical and sexual power those three exhuded.

I would not be one bit surprised if jon is one day inducted into the rock n' roll hall of fame.

and this is not sycophancy or some sicko fantasy either. this is rock talk.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:14 pm

saw the blues explosion of election day!
take a whiff of my pant leg!
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:18 pm

Not based on record sales. Probably not either, because they aren't recognized as starting some movement which influenced idiots the world over. But... the rock n' roll hall of fame is a worthless ass-kissing society for has-beens anyway so who cares.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Thank's to red eyed willie who played me Crypt Style while we were frying our faces off 10 years ago. I still hear it the same when I'm not under the influence.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:40 pm

I stopped listening to shitty music cos of Jon Spencer.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:48 pm

I heard there is some "rock talk" goin on here.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:50 pm

Yeah, I love Jon Spencer, but it'll be Radiohead getting inducted...
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:53 pm

Wasn't Don Howland in some big guitar magazine too?
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:58 pm

I liked the shows, the records not that much (not before "now I got worry") - thought it was silly how angry he got when my pal threw some beer at him, though...
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 4:02 pm

I stopped listening to shitty music cos of Jon Spencer.

Funny, this is pretty-much what I told the Rat Traps yesterday....it opened a door and closed MANY forever...
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 4:06 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Pussy Galore helped me kick a longstanding addiction to hardcore punk and got me even more into the noise. I see Spencer as a trailblazer. PG's first releases were a big FU to the prevailing orthodoxy in the underground. I don't know about JS induction to the hall of fame, but if so, he goes in line right after Link Wray.

Friends getting turned on to "alternative" were shocked that I blew off joining them on the Lollapalooza caravan so I could see the the Gibson Brothers last show with Jon Spencer backing them up. They told me I was missing out on being part if history. Hah!
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 4:10 pm

I could see the the Gibson Brothers last show with Jon Spencer backing them up

Man, you suck!
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Friends getting turned on to "alternative" were shocked that I blew off joining them on the Lollapalooza caravan so I could see the the Gibson Brothers last show with Jon Spencer backing them up. They told me I was missing out on being part if history. Hah!

Remember the day you realized you didn't have square friends anymore?
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 4:38 pm

Dear Jon,
It wasn't my intention to spoil the evening or to damage the theremin. After Judah kicked against my beer and smashed another bottle to the ground, I threw mine in the air. Not because I disliked what he did but because I was euphoric. I hope everything is OK with the teremin and that you understand the situation a bit better now. Thanks again for the great gig. I've send a tape with some favourites. Hope you like it.

Letter sent to Jon Spencer the day after he played at the Democrazy in Ghent (01-04-94). He never wrote back. Fuck him.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 4:40 pm

Last year, I really enjoyed Heavy Trash in Antwerp though...
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 5:42 pm

Pretty good, but overall, overrated. On a much smaller scale, you can make the Elvis comparison. JS took a undergroung form of music and put a marketable face on it. Rock and roll hall of fame? No fucking way. Part of it is context. Does JS have the same cultural impact as say Black Sabbath? No. The foks that make the Rock and Roll hall of fame are either culturally relevant such as Ramones, Sabbath, etc or an influence to those who already made it. It's sad but someone like Lemmy for instance will never make it, even though he is pretty much the living embodimnet of Rock and Roll. No Lemmy mean No JS for sure.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 5:46 pm

It's sad but someone like Lemmy for instance will never make it, even though he is pretty much the living embodimnet of Rock and Roll.

Amen.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 5:56 pm

Lemmy....in a class of his own.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:18 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

He still lives the full throttle rock and roll lifestyle. He leaves for the clubs while the working stiffs are getting ready for bed for their 5 AM commutes.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:32 pm

lemmy will be in there, i'm damn sure.

you see, after whoever the old geezers are on the panel get done with THEIR take on who should be in, someone younger will step up and call the shots.

other inductees:

The Cramps
The Buzzcocks
Black Flag
Gerard Cosloy/Chris Lombardi
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:57 pm | Edited by: carney

The Cramps
The Buzzcocks
Black Flag
Gerard Cosloy/Chris Lombardi

They don't have a snowballs chance in hell. MAYBE the Cramps. Look how long it took for the Sex Pistols. Black Flag NEVER. Buzzcocks NOPE. I bet less thatn 10% of the voters know who Cosloy is, let alone what his contribution to music is. Jenna you are very idealistic about these things. Again, put it in context. People like Little Steven are responsible for electing inductees. Look at what he calls "garage". I was really happy that Lynyrd Skynrd got in. They may have been the best american Rock and Roll band in their prime (I'm totally not kidding). They had a hard time because of their perceived reputation as confererate flag waving rednecks. Northern voters thought they were inherently racist. Do you know waht "Give Me Back My Bullits" was about? It was Ronnie's plea to have hit singles, ie "bullits" on the Billboard chart. The people who vote are mostly critics and we all know how good their musical tastes are. Look at the year end top ten lists of any weekly arts/entertainment paper. Crap followed by crap, followed by SHIT.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 7:00 pm

JS took a undergroung form of music and put a marketable face on it.

PUSSY GALORE???
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 7:01 pm

POINT BLANK. Ever heard them?
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 7:14 pm

PUSSY GALORE???

Marketable FACE, not sound.

POINT BLANK.

Saw them at the Cumberland County Fair (IL) circa '80.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 7:16 pm

POINT BLANK.

Saw them at the Cumberland County Fair (IL) circa '80.

How was it?
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 7:18 pm

i'm idealisitic about EVERYTHING. reality is too harsh. i believe, dude, i believe.

i will admit, though, that end of year wrap ups are horrendous. ugh. ugh. ugh!

I'm reading the Nick Tosches Reader right now, and at some point in the early 70s he's talking about how all the labels and magazines are hand in glove and how all the magazines review THE SAME SHIT in each edition. I said as much the other day. i'm incredibly dishearted to see the same 15 bands/artists reviewed in all the glossies. gee wiz, why buy more than 1 if they all have the same content? not that I buy any of them, I must admit, though now I do have to check them out.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 8:15 pm

Ruled until, oh, been almost a decade since last good release. Still pretty decent live, but nothing compared to those first JSBX shows I saw. Pretty mind-blowing when I was a teenager. I think only Guy Puccioto of Fugazi sweats that much on stage. Seems almost painfully shy off-stage which totally makes sense, actually.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 8:16 pm

And I can see The Buzzcocks getting into the RnR Hall o SHame. Probably The Cramps, too, eventually. Sabbath FINALLY got in this year, much less the Pistols. Black Flag, No.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 8:23 pm

It's sad but someone like Lemmy for instance will never make it, even though he is pretty much the living embodimnet of Rock and Roll

not to mention the cross genre appeal...everyone likes motorhead.
ok.
maybe not hip-hoppers.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 10:46 pm

How was it?
Pretty good. I saw Sea Level at another fair the same year.

And I can see The Buzzcocks getting into the RnR Hall o SHame

Again, probably not. Another thing that is a criteria is the number of records sold. Most Hall o Famers sold millions, usually singles. They probably figure if the Ramones and Pistols are there, punk rock is pretty much covered. Side note, my band Jesus Christ Superfly has a poster in the Hall of Fame. Probably not on display anymore, but part of the permant collection.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 11:09 pm

You can find Black Flag CD's at any mall as well as their t-shirts. Jon Spencer not so much. I think eventually Black Flag will make it eventually...Fucking RnRHOF is a freaking joke anyway. Once Ertegen dies I bet you'll see way less bands from Atlantic making it in (but then again I think EVERY band that was on the label and is qualified has already made it in)
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 11:40 pm

yeah i'm with dale. fuck all you jon spencer-loving losers. eat shit. black flag rules!!!
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 12:53 am

I'm with dirk...pho cues beeches

Jonny Jon Spencewence will make it in to the Shuck and Jive Hall of Fame cause that's the kinda shit that sells
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 12:55 am

yeah Pussy Galore man...they really started the revolution...oh and Sonic Youth too...if it wasn't for them kids would never had ever played a bunch of broken noise on their instruments under the influence of drugs

hooray for them...tell Flipper to shut up
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:59 am

but he can't write a good song!!!!!!!

he should stick to underwear modeling
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 2:26 pm

I haven't listened to a Blues Explosion record in years. Black Flag were THE fucking band for a few years there. I can see them way before Spencer. I'll bet they sold more records, too.

Buzzcocks were a top 40 band in the UK - does that count for records sold? Fuck, until the Saints and Sonics are in, the whole thing's an obvious joke even a slow child could figger.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:07 pm

it is a cheeseburger and french fries afternoon for me.

just to clarify: i don't think JS will get in there for the blues explosion. i think he'll be in there for a lifetime contribution to rnr, or something like that.

another inductee:

The Fall
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:09 pm

I don't think so. Do you really think so? They're in my Hall of Fame, but still.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:11 pm

I emailed this link to Mr. Spencer yesterday. He said, "thanks for the pat on the back." I think we can leave it at that.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:17 pm

joe, you dork!
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:21 pm

joe, you dork!

look who's talkin'!
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:28 pm

i was rock talking! but yeah, i guess this whole topic is dorky. whatev!
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:29 pm

Both of you ho's shut it.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:29 pm

The Fall

Are you hittin' the pipe? This pretty much discredits any of your ruminations. Face it, these are all bands that WE all like. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, NO FUCKING WAY. Future inductees will be bands like: REM, Nirvana, Metallica, etc. Imagine what bands will be played on "Classic Rock" stations circa 2012. That's who will be inducted. To compare the goddamn Fall to bands like Sabbath and Led Zep is a joke.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:30 pm

Oh yeah, he's married, Jenna.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:37 pm

i was just funnin' jenna! it's friday...get happy & shit!
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:38 pm

Me too! Ho's...
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:40 pm

i'm happy, but hungover. ugh! i need a cheeseburger. and probably a beer.

carney, after they REM and the like, then they have to keep inducting, right? well, I say The Fall.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:43 pm

I nominate cheeseburgers in to the r'n'r h.o.f.!
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Carney's right, but remember that an inductee like the Velvet Underground sold less records during their existance than some of the "never make it" bands being discussed.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:01 pm

Velvet Underground

That's definately a case of a bands influence vs. sales. Plus Lou Reed and John Cale could probably get in on their own merits. The Velvets invented a style that is still aped today. As far the arguements whether a band gets in or not, I'm not talking about whether they deserve to get in. In that case, the Buzzcocks would be a shoe-n. I'm just being realistic about the process.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:06 pm

Is fucking Gene Vincent even in yet?
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:16 pm

Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:22 pm

JSB would never make it in. Also, alot of people see what he's doing as a joke. I've read some blues record guides that treat them like a shitty novelty act. It kind of is, too. Still a great band to listen to while drunk.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:22 pm

ps- I don't mean the shitty part, I mean the novelty act part.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:31 pm

husker du!

oh yeah and Are you hittin' the pipe?--

yep! can you tell by my writing??
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:38 pm

husker du!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Overrated hacks.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:50 pm

alright, then THE OBLIVIANS!
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:52 pm

How good is Love Killed My Brain? That song kills my brain.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:52 pm

alright, then THE OBLIVIANS!
Jesus, Jenna. They didn't even have a bass player.

Can I hug you?
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:56 pm

Wait. The Oblivians didn't have a bass player? That's messed up.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:59 pm

you know SLAMDANCE - the anti SUNDANCE festival?

there's gotta be ... and there will be.... an official ANTI Rock n Roll Hall of Fame with all the SHOULD BE-inductees

to the growing list forming here, I'm nominating Compulsive Gamblers for their greatness, musicality and the right amount of dirt and the Germs for inspiring lots of others and being really great at being bad
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 6:13 pm

oh yeah and Are you hittin' the pipe?--

Just funnin'. But really, are you? I love Husker Du, Spot engineered and co-produced my last record, but NO WAY? Some day you'll come to realization that the bands that we Goners collectively like are but a blip on the screen of mainstream Rock and Roll. I kinda like it that way. When it takes a massive pr drive to get Sabbath and Skynyrd in, how do you ever imagine the bands that really are a cut above stand a chance.

I bet you are a hell of a publicist, though. Anybody who can nominate the Fall for the RARHOF with a straight face can sell anything to anybody.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 6:37 pm

Carney, were you at the Fatals/Rat Traps show?
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Nope, I've been sick like dog on antibiotics. I've missed a bunch of shows in the last week or so.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 9:53 pm

sick like dog on antibiotics
What did you have? I have a sinus infection and I'm on my second round of antibiotics. So I might miss the Fatals this Monday in Columbus (also 'cuz my regular sitter is out of town and the teen sitter can't stay out til 1 ? 2 ? on a school night...) If my regular sitter was home, Violet could just spend the night there... sigh....
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 11:25 pm | Edited by: carney

Inner ear infection + bronchitis. Allergies morphed into a nsty secondary infection. Having a real hard time shaking it.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 12:29 am | Edited by: mikesniper

Why would anyone want to be in a Rock and Roll "Hall of Fame" when Black Sabbath gets inducted 12 years after they were eligible? Gimme a fucking break. We're not talking about some obscure band, but fucking Black Sabbath.

So, no, Jon Spencer will never be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Even other borderline "underground" artists (huge quotes there) who are WAYYY bigger then Jon Spencer will never get in: Tom Waits, Capt. Beefheart, Hawkwind, Soft Machine, Roxy Music, The Cramps etc. etc. etc. (some of these people had #1 hits in the UK)

Maybe in the same magical world where you see the Black Lips on MTV in the future, it's possible.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 12:34 am

lay offa spencer, man.

hall of fame is bunk-o-squad.

rocktober hall of dynamic greatness is what anyone could hope to attain.

live now.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 4:01 am

"pssssssst, hey posuer?"
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 7:14 am | Edited by: Joe Perry

The whole Hall of Fame thing is retarded. The year the band I'm in won our fucking singer hogged the stage. Hound Dog Taylor should have a place before us. It's a dirty shame that he died before he could try my hot sauce.
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 4:00 pm

Maybe in the same magical world where you see the Black Lips on MTV in the future, it's possible.

i almost made this happen (but not MTV, yucky). but i realize now that you can't make a band do something because of your own sheer excitement--you've got to have a band willing to want something bigger. so, I say THE LEATHER UPPERS!!!!! taking it to the top of the wizard's castle!
Posted: Apr 15, 2006 5:02 pm

give that a year
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 3:32 am

hall of fame is bunk-o-squad.

eric, you reading James Ellroy books? and what the hell is bunko squad in those books anyway?
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 5:36 am

red eyed williethe rock n' roll hall of fame is a worthless ass-kissing society for has-beens anyway so who cares.

It's located in Cleveland, which fancies itself to be the "Home of Rock and Roll". What more needs to be said?
Posted: Apr 16, 2006 10:59 pm

i almost made this happen (but not MTV, yucky).

Made what happen??????
Jezus, yer nuts.
What did ya do,....give Gerard an unsolicited CD without telling the Lips you were doing so? How embarrassing for them. Yer real tight with Matador huh????
Ya got all the pull in the world.
Get us on In The Red.
Shut up ya dummy.
Posted: Apr 17, 2006 12:30 am | Edited by: jenna

old and delusional? yes. but not rawk. i've never been rawk.

not MTV, jimmy kimmel. maybe that WAS delusional, but whatever. shane's roommate cornmo was on the show. i thought i could make it happen. it's my daily job. one of my authors was on charlie rose the other night. and within one day of pitching bands instead of authors I got asked to be a music publicist for little steven and neko case. i turned it down.

truth be told: i was asked the other day for some suggestions for them and passed on some band names. it would fucking rad if they checked out some of those bands and liked one and asked them if they wanted to do a record. everyone who owns a label has friends who make suggestions. this time around, i was asked, and obliged.

and yes, I've known some of those people since i moved here. i've been here 13 years--that's a long time. the first week i got here i started interning there.

you really don't know what you're talking about, but you sure are a jerk about it.
Posted: Apr 17, 2006 12:47 am | Edited by: CreepySexyCool

Black Lips on MTV WILL be awesome to me!!
Posted: Apr 17, 2006 12:48 am

I got asked to be a music publicist for little steven and neko case. i turned it down.

its a good thing you turned little steven down. i worked for him for many years and it is not worth it. never was.

yup, the world is full o jerks....
Posted: Apr 17, 2006 1:06 am

matador sucks.
Posted: Apr 18, 2006 12:59 am

Flipper for H.O.F.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®