Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / receivers/tuners/amps.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 2:42 am

any one have a Pioneer sx 680..? circa 1979-1982..i think..? i just got a hold of one for free..that bitch sounds better than most new recievers..its got a dirty balance channel but other than that it pumps up the jam. I love that pure simplistic stereo power and sound. Yaa Hoo.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 2:59 pm

woo hoo!
new free vintage stereo aquisition club!
i had a dream i was in a thrift store and there were old stereos all over the place for 20 bucks each!
fuck technology its a scam.
de-evolution!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 11:18 pm

so far im up to 4. My Marantz that i paid nearly 550 bucks for in 1997 is made like shit compared to Pioneers.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 11:35 pm

70's-80's receivers are way better than newer ones. You can tell by the weight. Good transformers way a lot more than cheap ones. I've been trying to find a old school Pioneer, but so far no luck. Plus they don't have that annoying bass boost built in. I hate that over-hyped shitty bass sound. It usede to be called a loudness switch, to be used when listening a low volumes. But now that shit is built in.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:19 am

sx-550. hell yeah
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:49 am

I have an old kenwood KR-4070 - late 70's I think. I love this thing and I've had if for years, but it's crapping out on me as I speak! fuck!
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:57 am

I think the difference is those old recievers have tubes in em. Everything sounds better with tubes.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 1:39 pm

heavy duty transformers is where its at
they stopped having tubes in the late 60s
i just found a mcintosh tube/solid state hybrid (1973) IN MY DUMPSTER
and all my records sound new again!
Plus they don't have that annoying bass boost built in.
word!
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:13 pm

Mid-70s Pioneer Quad with SONAR!

57 POUNDS.

PRETTY LIGHTS.

LOUD.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:40 pm

Mcintosh rcvrs.. still make tube recievers..im almost positve. that is if ya wanna drop a grand on a reciever.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 5:45 pm

They still make tube recievers, thos are more for "adiophiles". I'm talkin' 70's early 80's heavy trash like Pioneer, Rotel, Technics, Sansui. A little woodgrain, some bright blue/green lights, a little chrome. The sound of my youth.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:05 pm

The sound of my youth

You nailed it right there. I don't think anyone present is spending their evenings listening to Miami Bass mixes. Try listening to records through equipment of the same vintage and they (surprise) sound great. My ex has a late 60s Clairtone console stereo that's been maintained, and I've never heard soul 45s sound better than through this system.

And yeah, turn off that "loudness" button.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:10 pm

You ever notice how much better the RADIO sounds on old recievers? So warm...
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 6:37 pm

I like the BLUE display...totally
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 7:36 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

I miss good thrift shops. All over the LA area thrift shops stuff is tagged with a VINTAGE pricetag and garbage is actually treasued by many. It sucks that you really gotta no where to search. Makes me wanna go back to the midwest for some junk shoppin.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 10:44 pm

I like the BLUE display...totally
yea..blue is nice..yellow too.. my fave is a nice green stereo front.
Hey,,any one ever heard of XAM speakers..??
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®