Goner Message Board / ???? / alphabetizing records
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 5:08 pm | Edited by: Brown Sound

Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass?

The J. Geils Band?

Where should they go?
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 5:08 pm

The garbage.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 5:12 pm

Ba-domp-ba! Okay, this thread is done. Nothing to see here.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 5:22 pm

A and in easy listening or jazz or latin jazz; G and in ROCK
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 5:23 pm

I didn't write that!
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 6:14 pm

hey!
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 6:27 pm

They were free. This guy I hate was evicted and I spotted the maintainance guys tossing his shit out the window, so I took them. It's not like he's coming back for it. I think he's been gone for weeks. Got a couple cool things. A '66 Batman surf album with the sensational guitars of Dan & Dale. A couple Cramps albums. Johnny Thunders. Some crappy posuer hardcore ala Kasualities & Exploited which I might try to pawn off on Goner.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 6:28 pm

That Dan & Dale LP actually is members of Sun Ra's arkestra. Good find!
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 6:30 pm

File that one in yr nearest mailbox, under my name!
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 6:36 pm

As a general rule Iggy & the Stooges is under S. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts under B. That would put Herb Alpert's between Teengenerate and Ike & Tina Turner. However by this rule J. Geils would be under B. I'll just put it in G.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 6:40 pm

J Geils Band ' Freezeframe' and 'Centrefold' are great drinking records. And herb Alpert's 'Slick' is a great instrumental. I'd file the former in the 'PARTY ON!' section and the latter in the 'getting ready to go out on the razz' section.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 7:12 pm

i'd go A for alpert and G for j geils. how you break down your genre sections is your business.

here's a sweet link of a dude who [url=http://www.pushby.com/tomas/2004/11/15/index.html
]organizes his books by color[/url]. intense!
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 7:13 pm

Posted: Apr 11, 2006 7:14 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

That hasn't been working for me either. What gives?

Nevermind.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 11:00 pm

If I put Alpert under A that would place it right after G.G. Allin which doesn't seem right. I don't separate into different "genres" because I can't stand that word. Three crates general artists a-z. One crate comps. and sound tracks. One crate shit I don't know what to do with.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 11:10 pm

joe, i think i had a space in there between the end of the URL and the square bracket. hosed it.

brown sound, if you don't have genres then you're gonna have strange bedfellows like GG and Herb. pay to play, yo. genres do add a whole new level of complexity to the sorting and organizing however, and often raise questions that are very hard to answer, like where the hell do you file that Conet Project stuff???? (those recordings of shortwave "numbers" stations???????)
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:43 am

geils and alpert, now thats some funky good music. saw u2 open fur j geils on the freez frame tour and spent hours on end listening to the folks herb alpert 8 tracks in the family truckster. ole'
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:02 am

alpert goes into the mexi box
Giles into the butt rawk box
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 3:54 pm

Alpert may come in handy when the mother in law visits.

...and Freeze Frame was my favorite album in the 4th grade, that or Billy Joel's Glass Houses.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 3:58 pm

By color would look cool, but it'd just make it that much harder to find anything.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:08 pm

I personally think that J. Geils Band should be under J because its not just J. Geils, the name of the band is J. Geils Band.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:22 pm

The J. Geils is a good question. I believe most stores would file it under J because it wasn't like people were into J. Geils Band for J. Geils. It is a lot different than, say, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.

Herb Alpert--definitely A.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:24 pm

I was in a record store a long time ago, and they filed Van Halen under "H".
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:28 pm

Record stores have gotten increasingly stupid over the years.

Alphabetizing correctly was like Lesson #1 when I went though Pop Tunes training.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:29 pm

argh and fiery, i think you're right. J Geils under J.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:44 pm

I was in a record store a long time ago, and they filed Van Halen under "H".

That makes me smile.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:49 pm

So the guy I scored these records off of, I traded him a couple crappy pop punk albums for a dvd of Sore Losers about six months ago and I got those back too.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:49 pm

I file Thee Headcoats under T.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:50 pm

Always a real test:

Jethro Tull

Uriah Heep
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:50 pm

J. Geils under J? YOU PEOPLE ARE INSANE!!!!!!!! J. Geils is a person's name. It doesn't matter what role they played in the band, it gets filed under their last name. Period. No arguments. If we make exceptions like this then we are setting ourselves up for the BREAKDOWN OF ORDER IN RECORD STORAGE METHODOLOGY!!!!!!!! ANARCHY!!

Here is a real doozy though: Where do you file Brian Jonestown Massacre?
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:51 pm

Or the Winona Ryders, even.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:53 pm

Viva L'American Deathray Music? Under V?
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:54 pm

M.O.T.O. - under M, Masters, or MO?
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:54 pm

...and I think your impeccable reasoning has convinced me to move J. one crate over. I'm going to go do that now.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:55 pm

Viva L'American Deathray Music = A
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:56 pm

See, you've already started down the slippery slope. I don't file like record stores do, though I admit to being mystified by their dewey decimal system too.

I probably have succumbed to the digital age and order by the same token as I tag my rips - by first letter and omitting "The" (though, not "Thee").

So, blasphemy aside,:
J. Geils Band - J
Herb - H
Winona Ryders - W
Jethro - J
Uriah - U

What does your cell phone do with addresses? Do you intentionally enter C. Martell as "Martell, C"?
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:57 pm

M.O.T.O. goes at the beginning of the M's.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:59 pm

What if we are not privy to his real last name? He is so incognito in the band that his last name could be "J. Geils". I say when in doubt, make it easier on the consumer...without totally dumbing them down like in the case of "Thin Lizzy" (seen this) or the aforementioned Uriah Heep and Jethro Tull.

If we are just talking a home collection (which we are), I guess you can do whatever you want to make it easier to locate "Freeze Frame" when you are wasted and alone at 2AM.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:03 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

M.O.T.O. goes at the beginning of the M's.

But what about the M.O.T.O. records where "Masters of the Obvious" are actually written on the spine? Certainly these would have to be filed after records by Madness and Manfred Mann.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:03 pm

believe it or not : back in the old days, the only record store in town was a small shop, owned by 2 fat sisters - they had a decent collection (well, for an 8 years old boy at least) - the funny thing however was that all the bands that started with THE were filed under the letter "T" : THE Rolling Stones, THE Beatles,... - needless to say, the "T" department occupied half of the shop - welcome to EEEEEKLOOOOOOO!!!!

(the metal department didn't follow the letter classification but was based on the sleeves : Cypress Hill => Metal)
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:14 pm

I've never understood the problem with THE's. Obviously you drop it or you'd have a 2nd alphabet inside the 1st. Crazings.
...and I can't stop listening to BATMAN & ROBIN...
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:16 pm

I put MOTO at the beginning of the M's because it is MOTO. I don't care how you spell it.

Peoples REAL names are filed last name first. J. Geils goes under Geils. Jethro Tull goes under J, because that is the name of the band. I put Alice Cooper under A because Thurston Moore said that's what you're supposed to do in Flipside magazine 14 years ago. I know people who insist Vincent "Alice Cooper" Furnier had his name legally changed, but I don't buy it.

I say when in doubt, make it easier on the consumer...

NEVER!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:19 pm

C
O
W
B
O
Y
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:28 pm

Organizing blue dudes is a bitch.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:40 pm

You are all wrong.

J. Giles goes in the "Bargain Bin", regardless of in the home or in commerce.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:44 pm

The completely unalphabetized un-genre-ized Bargain Bin?
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:56 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Have you ever seen one that stayed organized?

Hey, everybody, don't forget the annual Demo give away is Friday. We will draw straws for who goes first, and proceed alphabetically from there. I think we have a couple of copies of the Riverdance soundtrack and a whole bunch from the New Age and World Music sections. Fiery, those Liquid Blue Tie Dye shirts in the back need to be on the floor today. Brown Sound you're on the register. I'll be in the back on the phone. Let's sell 'em something today, o.k., team?!!!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:02 pm

No! I get to be in the back on the phone!

I'll put out the orange tie dyed psychedelic eyeball Jimi Hendrix tees--we already unloaded the blue ones.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:06 pm

Fiery, do you want that Michael McDonald promo poster or not? And someone needs to re-price the cassingles.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:17 pm

Looks like I've already got my staff rith here! Jeezus. Michael Mcdonald poster is mine fellas. Doobie doobie dooooooooo...
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:19 pm

Well, lemme at least have the Fleetwood Mac flats.
Posted: May 25, 2006 12:30 am

Whatever makes it easier for you to find.
Posted: May 25, 2006 2:03 am

I don't separate into different "genres" because I can't stand that word.

Just wait till you have a LOT more records and you want to make a specialized country, R&B, jazz, rap, or punk comp. You'll come around, after you get tired of looking through all 2000 records every time you want to make a mix CD.

J. Geils Band goes under "J", but Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers goes under "P" and Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass goes under "A". Why? Because "J. Geils Band" is a BAND name, whereas "Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers" and "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass" are individuals' names PLUS band names. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts goes under "J" and not "B" for the same reason.

Even if Alice Cooper had his name changed, it doesn't matter, because it's a BAND name in this context, not an individual's name. Hence, "A".

Jethro Tull and Uriah Heep are filed under "J" and "U". No debate there.

Thee Headcoats go in the "T"s, but "The" bands don't. That's because changing "The" to "Thee" changes the word from an article into an actual part of the band's name.

Brian Jonestown Massacre=B. "The Anton Newcombe Massacre" would go under "A", but "Anton Newcombe and the Massacre" would go under "N". See?

Conet Project goes under "Spoken Word", "Soundtracks", or "Miscellaneous". Unless you have a "Radio & TV" section.

As far as M.O.T.O., you have to decide which one is closer to the actual "band name". In this case I would argue it's M.O.T.O. and not Masters of the Obvious. So it goes at the beginning of the M's.

Says the librarian...
Posted: May 25, 2006 2:08 am

I personally think that J. Geils Band should be under J because its not just J. Geils, the name of the band is J. Geils Band.

20 responses until commen sense arrives
but lets exhaust every option
my records are organized by skin color
from pigmeat to edgar winter
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®