Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 2:19 pm

just watched this last night...awesome. In Cold Blood just got moved to the top of my reading list, after i finish the Fantastic Four collection. If i was mr. fantastic i'd slap that invisible bitch for keepin sub-mariners picture around. he's a menace with lady eyebrows.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 2:48 pm

After reading ICB you will be hard-pressed to appreciate any literature for months afterward. So I recommend chasing it with Capote's 'Music For Chameleons' or 'Breakfast @ Tiffany's' of course..but 'Music For Chameleons' mostly.

For added entertainment watch the original 'In Cold Blood.' Quirky and dark. Robert Blake REally sucks...but in a menacing way I guess.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 3:09 pm

i found in cold blood unreadable. i like that story where he talks about his maid who smokes all his roaches. fantastic four rules.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 3:21 pm

Breakfast at Tiffany's........Holly Golightly......if I had a dollar for everytime.......
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 4:30 pm

Robert Blake REally sucks...but in a menacing way I guess.

I'm Robert Blake and I play a guitar and kill people. They will hang me for my crimes. Bleh.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 4:34 pm

I haven't seen it, but I know it focuses more on the In Cold Blood peek era than it does his disco/gay boozehound/claiming to write a book that never exsisted/total wastoid downfall, which would have been alot more interesting. I have no idea how far the film goes into that, or if it even implies it, but I'm told it doesn't deal with it much.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 5:28 pm

the movie capote is a character study of how writing ICB changed truman capote. it took up years of his life when he thought he was just doing a magazine piece...it turned into a new kind of novel.

i think philip seymour hoffman's portrayal of a man who was able to con/charm a diverse array of people into letting him have is way is what clinched the oscar for him. capote wins the trust of the killers enough to get their stories and feelings, he is so tight w/ harper lee that she helps him, he convinces his publishers to keep extending his deadline... to let this book develop, etc. he just lies to everyone but his smarmy gay personality is such that you think "ok, i believe you" and everyone fell for his lines and he got his way. was he happy with the end result? nah. you do see one aspect of the motivation for his ever downwarding spiral of alcholism

i don't think it was limited at all. i think it was a concise glimpse into a specific period of time --- you get to see how harper lee takes "to kill a mocking bird" from book to film and become a star in her own right yet be completely eclipsed within her group of friends by capote's ability to suck all the air out of any room.

i read ICB when it came out. it was in my mother's bathroom and i snuck readings of it. i was an adolescent at the time, but it really affected me and i wrote truman capote a fan letter. i found it one of the most powerful things i have read EVER.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 5:31 pm

it took up years of his life when he thought he was just doing a magazine piece...it turned into a new kind of novel.

. . .but it's not a novel. Not to be super nitpicky or anything.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 5:34 pm

i read ICB when it came out. it was in my mother's bathroom and i snuck readings of it. i was an adolescent at the time, but it really affected me and i wrote truman capote a fan letter. i found it one of the most powerful things i have read EVER.

It is an amazing piece of work. I was sort of disappointed that my wife had not read it when we saw the movie. I think, if she reads it now, the movie will change it for her. It really puts the book into a different perspective.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 5:37 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Theresa K,
I give you two thumbs up. Great review.

. . .but it's not a novel. Not to be super nitpicky or anything.

It wasn't a true crime book either. It was a new style.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 5:38 pm

After I read it, I went to a party and made my own Orange Blossoms, because that's what one of the killers drank. Vodka and orange soda as I recall. Pretty gross and didn't make me feel like I was in Kansas.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 5:38 pm

Agree that it was a new style. Disagree that it's a novel.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 7:24 pm

true true... its not a novel. its a book - but what style/genre?

its non fiction but its got some STYLE and FLAIR that other non fiction doesn't have.... it was non fiction that read like a novel
just like (and please forgive the example, its just one that's very obvious) the way "jurrassic park" reads like a screenplay
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 7:49 pm

How about: it's a really excellent piece of non-fiction. Compelling, interesting, etc. That should be enough to get people to read it. If not, screw them.

Agree on the Jurassic Park, too.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 7:54 pm

and everyone should know by now that truth IS stranger and more compelling than fiction
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 8:00 pm

i really liked this movie. i read in cold blood a long time ago, but probably should reread it. i recall liking it a lot though.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 8:03 pm

Yes indeed.

From Writing American Fiction by Philip Roth:

"The American writer in the middle of the 20th century has his hands full in trying to understand, and then describe, and then make credible much of the American reality. It stupefies, it sickens, it infuriates, and finally it is even a kind of embarrassment to one's meager imagination. The actuality is continually outdoing our talents.''
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 8:13 pm

what was also horrible and ironic was that a month after i saw CAPOTE, a family i knew was killed by people on a killing spree in pretty much the same horrific way

everything that philip roth wrote in the quote above can't be better said
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 8:19 pm

capote wins the trust of the killers enough to get their stories and feelings,

According to Al Dewey, enough trust that he was able to have the gaurd let him into Perry's cell over 200 times so he could fuck him.

I'm not knocing the movie, it's probably the only movie out that I'm actually looking forward to seeing. I'm just saying-the downfall and last pathetic game show personality days of his life would be just as interesting, if not better. Feel the same way about The Aviator...why avoid the juicy shit that ended up happening to these guys?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®