Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Prices for pressing 45s???
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 8:01 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm kinda new here, but I thought that since lots of you seem to be in bands, you might be able to help me out. I'm in a new band, and we're trying to figure out about how much it'll cost to have some 7" records made. Probably don't need too many, maybe 100--500, depending on prices.

If anyone can offer up any estimates, or links to places that offer good rates, that'd be great.

Thanks!
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 8:05 pm

Posted: Mar 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Awesome. I'd found a few places online, but they didn't have prices posted, so this site is much better.

Thank you!
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 8:29 pm

I've never had anything pressed before but that is where everyone sends me. I guess they have the best prices.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 9:27 pm

There was a thread not too long ago about this that I couldn't find, but I remember someone said that the way to go was having it mastered at www.aardvarkmastering.com and then pressed at www.urpressing.com like Bushmeister said.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 9:35 pm

ive heard the mastering at urpressing is fine but many say to have it done at Aardvark instead.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 9:37 pm

the peeps at united have really had their heads up their asses lately and i don't know if i'll use them again.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 9:54 pm

Thanks folks. I'll check aardvark out, too.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 9:56 pm

Doesn't Aardvark take like, 10 weeks to get the reference laquer to you though? That seems INSANE. But yeah, the mastering at United pretty much blows - hardly resembles what you send them. Depending on what kind of record youre making though it can come out kinda cool. We're mostly happy with our stuff. Brimstone Howl came out RIPPED UP and awesome.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 10:02 pm

Yeah, I mean, we're doing dirty, garage-rock stuff--not prog rock or anything--so it's not like it has to be pristine :)
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 10:27 pm

my comment was in regards to their customer service. the mastering has been fine.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:44 am

I just did a pressing of 300(100 in color) for $540 at Musicol

They're decent.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:53 am | Edited by: dale

I've only ordered one laquer from Aardvark (don't really see the need in them honestly) and it only took a week or so. They always been quick on cutting plates for me...about a week turnaround. You'll save about 50 bucks having them cut them for ya as opposed to United. I've never had a problem with them and I've used them 5 times so far (7 if ya count the two I sent off to them last week.)

United has seemed to have their head up their ass lately but one phone call straightened out a problem for me. Thought about using Musicol but it seems to me their customer service is nil and United still beat their price.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 2:41 pm | Edited by: Mr E Action

Musicol's customer service is decent enough, they always pick up the phone when I called with a question.

Plus doing color vinyl is a flat rate of $20
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:10 pm

Is that the total you paid in the end?
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:12 pm | Edited by: dale

500 colored vinyl (white which is the priciest) from United everything included (save for covers...I get those done through Ad Nauseum who fucking RULE)=$524 from United.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:15 pm

Really. Trickknee told me it would cost me about 800 bucks to do a 500 press. I'm gonna be putting out the Jazz Music single pretty soon.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:20 pm | Edited by: dale

Well...ya also gotta figure in the getting the metal stampers (pressing plates) made. That's seperate. $215 at Aardvark. I don't think the Musicol price includes that either (or at least it didn't seem that way when I called them)...so yeah, it's still around $800 total per release for me.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:21 pm

Yeah that's what I thought I remembered.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:23 pm

A Jazz Music That Kills single would be something I'd like to own tho. I say go for it either way.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:25 pm

Not that you're not aware but for others its the Kinda of Jazz Music That Kills and it will most likely be a while before I get this done but we'll see.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Dale, have you had a chance to check them out yet?
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:57 pm

I think they were suppose to play Hamtramck some time ago but I didn't make the show (and I guess they didn't either). I do have some demo from a while back though that I dug quite a bit (even though some of the recordings were almost to ramshackle to listen to). Good stuff none the less.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 5:25 pm

Thats right, you ditched out. I came up for that with Holy Shit! but Jazz Music had some trouble finding a van to use so they got fucked on the Hamtramck show.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 5:29 pm

Is that the total you paid in the end?

Yeah the grand total was like $547 i think.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 5:54 pm

Even with the metal stampers Dale refers to?
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 7:10 pm

Everything was $547.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 7:17 pm

Fuck, that's a good deal.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 8:50 pm

Sure is. The quoted me a price similar to that but it didn't include stampers (or so it seemed...they were pretty ambiguous about every question I asked.) Maybe I'll give 'em a shot down the road.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 8:52 pm

United has seemed to have their head up their ass lately but one phone call straightened out a problem for me.
i've talked to them 4 times and am still missing a third of the monitors pressing. all the colored vinyl skipped. they also didn't respond to emails after they told me to handle the problem through email.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 9:18 pm

Damn...I've never had a problem like that. That does suck.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 11:04 pm

well, i just got it taken care of and they were more than generous in dealing with the problem. so monitors records will be ready in roughly two weeks!
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 11:18 pm

Not to shit talked United, because I'm not 100% sure they were the company who did this, BUT-make sure you get a test pressing. My friend put out a record by our old band once, didn't get a test pressing, and the records he got back were basically unplayable and didn't sound anything like what we had sent in. That pretty much made me never want to get involved in any of this shit, period. I'm hoping we were a rare exception/worse case scenario, because this thing was beyond dogturds when we got it back.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 2:21 am

Getting a test pressing is very important...Then the problem can be tracked backed before anymore cash is dropped.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 8:12 am

Everything was $547.

About how long did it take you to get your records after you sent in the tape?
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 8:46 am

custom mastering does all of uniteds mastering. the guy there has been mastering forever. he did elvis for christ sakes. save yerself $20 or so bucks and send it directly to custom and united will pick it up. i have NEVER had any serious problem with united. they have always made my deadlines. oh, and anyone who does not get a test pressing made is a real moron.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 9:09 am

I used Mus-I-Col back in the day when I had a fledgling label. I just got a quote of $577 for 500 7" 45s & $607 for 500 7" 33s. Warren has done all right by me. The real genius is his dad if he's still around. I'm keeping these numbers in mind as I will probably be rekindling the label with a few give-aways.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 2:03 pm

About how long did it take you to get your records after you sent in the tape?

The turnaround was about 5 weeks.
Posted: Apr 11, 2006 2:27 pm

Aardvark saves you a little money, but it takes a loong time to get the plates to United.

Test pressings are crucial...
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:58 am

hey sugardaddy prarie cat mastering does almost all of uniteds mastering now..
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 11:31 pm

ron murphy at sound enterprises cuts 7" lacquers for $70 a side. he has a hella-quick turnaround time (usually a day or two) and has been cutting since before you were born.
he'll send those off to mastercraft plating in NJ, which is $65 a side.
archer records in detroit charges .50 per record, plus some other incidentals ($90 for one color labels, $25 for test presses, $25 set-up for orders under 1000 copies).
you can get 500 copies for $660 this way, not including shipping or a picture sleeve.
big bonus is they don't make you fill out any stupid IPR paperwork bullshit.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®