Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Favorite novelty records...
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 5:51 pm

I been gettin' down to "They're Coming To Take Me Away (Ha Ha)" by Napolean XIV. The flip is the same song but backwards... like if you just played the "A" side in reverse. The label on the flip is also bacwards. They really put a lot of effort into it.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 6:02 pm

Goddamn Great Drum Music

There's not even a record inside. It's a piece of carboard in the shape of a record that has some weird greeting on it. The cover has a bunch of naked bitches on it though!
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 7:31 pm

The first record I ever stole was the "Witch Doctor". Got it from music class in the 7th grade. Still have it. Btw, I stopped stealing things a long time ago, so you don't have to be afraid to invite me over.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 7:32 pm

Hey Andy, wanna come over?
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 8:04 pm

Steve Martin's "King Tut" is not only my favorite novelty record, it's one of my all-time favorite records, period. When I saw the King Tut exhibit in Ft. Lauderdale last month I was singing that song all through the museum. What a douche. "He gave his life for tourism."
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 8:06 pm

Ooh ee ooh ah ah
Ting tang
Walla walla bing bang
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 9:31 pm

Andy Rotzz has this awesome Rhino LP called "the worst songs ever recorded" or something like that. First track is "Now I Wanna Be Your Dog" sung by some three stooges imitators. I highly recommend this record to fans of the novelty genre.

I have Vince Vance & The Valients "Bomb Iran" (to the tune of Barbara Ann) on 45- that's a good one. "Goin' to a mosque, gonna throw some rocks, gonna turn Iran into a parking lot..."

I'm going to make a "Killed By Novelty" mixtape one of these days.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 9:33 pm

Oh yeah, and Ray Stevens! He's the best.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 9:37 pm

Jump In The Saddle
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:18 pm

Hey Andy, wanna come over?

Sure, are you near any trains? Queens is still a mystery to me.

Ray Stevens

Guitarzan!
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:21 pm

email me your number, duder.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:25 pm

My Woman From Sodom-MENTORS
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:26 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Jim Stafford "Greatest Hits"

Any Kim Fowley after 1975.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:26 pm

PEEPING TOM-MENTORS
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:27 pm

HANGIN' OUT WITH JIM-G.G.ALLIN
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:28 pm

TONIGHT I'M GONNA ROCK YA!-SPINAL TAP
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:28 pm

WORM MAN-RAMONES
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:31 pm

Good Punk Rock IS Novelty,especially with deviant themes.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:31 pm

PIMPLES AND BRACES!!!
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:32 pm

Not Surf Punks though, that's terrible!
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:39 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

The Deviants, because you can't tell if their records are supposed to be novelty.

I was convinced Eminem was a novelty act until I heard his second cd.
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:51 pm

Amazing Grace! Now that's a funny-ass song, especially when all the generic black chicks wanna do those goddamn vocal scales up & down like a fuckin' guitar solo.Elvis too.I gotta turn that shit up louder than a mothafucka!
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:52 pm | Edited by: cthort

Skrewdriver-Get on the Boat
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 11:11 pm

Dance Nigger Dance-Johnny Jump-Up
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 1:01 am

"TONIGHT I'M GONNA ROCK YA!"

You forgot the most important part...TONIGHT! Isn't there another "TONIGHT" after "YA"?
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 1:09 am

you're too young and i'm too well hung/but tonight i'm gonna rock ya/yeah tonight i'm gonna rock ya/tonight!!!
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 1:10 am

IVOR BIGGUN
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 1:45 am

Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport!
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 6:36 pm

Novelty?? Now you're talkin!! There's nothing more fun than drunken nights turning on uptight friends to some silly music. Just off the top of my head...

I love song poems. Check out the "Beat of the Traps" LP or that latest CD song poem comp "Do You Know the Difference Between Big Wood and Brush". Has anyone seen the PBS documentary on this? Jimmy Carter says yes!!! There's a great website at www.songpoemmusic.com .

I second that Rhino LP "Worst Songs Ever Recorded" -- mine came with a barf bag.

One of my most favorite records from when I was little (and still is one a fave) Nervous Norvus' "Transfusion" b/w "Dig". There's a great CD compilation put out by Norton with some other amazing shit on it -- "Ape Call", "I Like Girls", "The Fang" and one of the best drunkard songs ever "The Blackout Song".

I can't stop laughing every time I hear the Jim Backus song "Delicious". It's flip side, "I Need A Vacation" is just as good.

Shit, I can't wait to get off work and crack open a few and laugh my ass off.

I've been wanting to put together a nice list of Halloween novelty songs. Any help here? Bazooka Joe?

Keep 'em comin!
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 6:42 pm

Anybody heard "Inferno!" by the John Buzon Trio? It's a famous organ lounge record, I think it was in Incredibly Strange Music, but anyway... there's a 45 of his and one side is the story of the three little pigs hith a slow mellow instrumental backing. The guy telling the story gradually increases the speed of his narration until he's doing one of those "fastest talker in the world" deals and when the big bad wolf goes into the hot pot at the bottom of the chiminy yeah the fire place, that's what it's called... anyway, the fast talker screams YOW! and he keeps tra la laing in it. NUTS!
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 6:45 pm

I've been wanting to put together a nice list of Halloween novelty songs. Any help here? Bazooka Joe?

try "HORROR HOP" or "MONSTER BOP" from the Buffalo Bop series...great shit! Crypt's got em.........
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 6:49 pm

The guy telling the story gradually increases the speed of his narration until he's doing one of those "fastest talker in the world" deals

Check out Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham / Fox in Socks" LP. There's a slow version and a fast version of "Fox in Socks". I swear that the fast version sounds like one of the first rap battles. The dude is flying on these completely twisted tongue tales. Plus he's totally white as this was from the mid-60s. "Green Eggs and Ham" is pretty cool in a jazzy beatnik sorta way. There's one listed now on eBay here (not my listing):

http://cgi.ebay.com/DR-SEUSS-LP-FOX-IN-SOCKS-GREEN-EGGS-AND-HAM_W0QQit emZ4850054148QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 6:51 pm

try "HORROR HOP" or "MONSTER BOP" from the Buffalo Bop series

Yeah..these are great. I picked up 5 or 6 from this series a few years back used for $7 a pop and was very happy.
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 7:46 pm

Ahab the Arab - Ray Stevens
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 8:04 pm

Da Yoopers upper peninsula shenanigans. Holy shit "Songs For Fart Lovers" has the song "I Never Heard My Mom Fart" and "I'm A Turd" on it. Delete some Television from your hardrive and share this on Soulseek please!

the Buckner & Garcia lp with "Pac-Man Fever" on it has 7 other songs on it about video games and it kills.

Dr. Demento's Dementia Royale record has "Punk Polka" on it.
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 10:11 pm

Jim Backus "Delicious" is sooo awesome. I gotta find that again immediately. I had all those K-Tel comps (Dumb Ditties et al.) I still grab em when I spot 'em. Haunted House, Little Red Riding Hood, Ape Call, transfusion... classic!
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 10:16 pm

Jim Backus "Delicious" is sooo awesome.

Seriously!! This was always on the playlist for those "You wanna come up and listen to some records?" last-call afterhours parties.
Posted: Mar 19, 2006 3:43 am

Some of that Da Yoopers stuff is pretty great. Here there is this guy called Benny Grunch who is more or less the Yoopers of New Orleans. There are a LOT of great Cajun novelty songs too. If you go here and listen long enough you'll hear some: http://www.warpradio.com/Tuner.asp?id=4275
Posted: Mar 19, 2006 4:27 am

Juicy tidbit: Napoleon XIV is Radio personality Rick Dees I believe...
Posted: Mar 19, 2006 4:31 am

Sizzla
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 2:48 am

I'm a Yogi
A Yogi Bebee....

HEY BOOOOO BOOOOOOOO!
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 3:37 am

The Big Problem does not equal the solution. The Solution equals Let It Be. - Crispin Hellion Glover

Clowny Clown Clown is a favorite on my iPod's shuffle feature.... not sure why.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 4:24 am

CB Savage
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 4:25 am

We all love Peanut Butter
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 5:35 am

yeah! CB SAVAGE!

Hey nobody's said shit about THE CURLY SHUFFLE!!!!!! Maybe because it's so awesome that it has completely eclipsed novelty status and is now regarded as classic rock. In my mind, at least.
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 8:14 am

Mr. Jaws
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 1:16 am

Mrs. Miller. If you haven't had a listen then you're missing out.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 1:29 am

Mrs. Miller. If you haven't had a listen then you're missing out.

No way dude, that's ART!
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 2:43 am

Mrs. Miller is what won over my wife on the first night we met.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 2:46 am

How 'bout any local novelty songs? Anyone in Cleveland circa 1986 will remember "Bernie Bernie" - an ode to Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar to the tune of "Louie Louie". Anyone have a copy of that???
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 3:13 am

In Portland, we had the "Rip City" rap, an homage to the Trailblazers.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 3:19 am

At Louisiana Music Factory, I think there is an entire section for New Orleans Saints novelty songs.
Posted: Mar 21, 2006 4:11 am

HEY BOOOOO BOOOOOOOO

by The Ivy 3..I love that song..
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 7:56 pm

I don't think this counts as a novelty record, but I was introduced to Hulk Hogan's "Hulk Rules" album last night, and it was incredible.
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 8:08 pm

I have a sad story to tell you.
It may hurt your feelings a bit.
Last night when I walked into my bathroom,
I stepped in a big pile of ...

Shaving cream, be nice and clean.
Shave everyday and you'll always look keen.

I think I'll break off with my girlfriend.
Her antics are queer I'll admit.
Each time I say, "Darling, I love you,"
She tells me that I'm full of ...

Our baby fell out of the window.
You'd think that her head would be split.
But good luck was with her that morning;
She fell in a barrel of ...

An old lady died in a bathtub;
She died from a terrible fit.
In order to fulfill her wishes,
She was buried in six feet of ...

When I was in France with the army,
One day I looked into my kit.
I thought I would find me a sandwich,
But the darn thing was loaded with ...

And now, folks, my story is ended.
I think it is time I should quit.
If any of you feel offended,
Stick your head in a barrel of ...

Posted: Mar 26, 2006 10:14 pm

the guy who wrote that used to be on the joe franklin show all the time. bazooka joe wouldn't know about that though. he didn't move to new york until the 21st century. what a loser. but not as big a loser as heir lick. talk about missing the party...
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 10:21 pm

Bith, I BROUGHT the party.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®