Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / What's good as far as cool French music goes?
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 1:37 pm

I'm liking the Ultra Chicks series right now. What else should I be on the lookout for?
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 2:05 pm

Serge Gainsbourg is great. I haven't heard much Dutronc, but I do like his song called Les Cactus a lot.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 2:13 pm

What do you mean French music? 60s stuff? Or any French band?
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 2:49 pm

girls in the garage vol. 10, francois hardy, and everything mentioned already

ive been looking for ultra chicks for a while, where can you get it?
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 2:59 pm

Hunt down the Pussycat CD. I think it is on Magic Records. She's got a couple of songs on the Ultra Chicks CDs that always stood out to me (Ba ba ba . . . bouf and La La Lu, I think). I adore her voice!

Plus she plays drums in a 3-piece band. . . I think their name translates to The Three Mice.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 3:17 pm

Jane Birkin, B.Bardot, France Gall's got some OK stuff....

there's a newish French girl singer called Coralie Clement that's pretty good...
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 3:21 pm

New stuff:

Fatals
Toxic Farmers
The Sonic Chicken 4
Kung-Fu Escalator
Cheeraks
Normals
Frustration
Volt
Anteenagers
Lili Z
The Mighty Go-Go Players
The Magnetix
Crash Normal
Operation S
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 3:32 pm

There's a 60's musical called The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg and all the diologue is sung. It's pretty great, but I can't imagine listening to the soundtrack alone would be very good.

There's a (vinyl) series called Swinging Mademoiselles that's really tough 60's and is more raw and kooky than alot of the other ye-ye comps. There's one on CD with the same title (not related) but it's more high end and still awesome.

There's good French Cadian garage stuff too, like Les Lutins.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 3:32 pm

Marie et Les Garcons
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 3:56 pm

Yeah Marie et les garcons is my favourite and I also really like the creteens.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 4:09 pm

Highly recommended late 60's French psych: The Chico Magnetic Band

WOW!!!!
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 4:20 pm

I just got this Magnetix 7" (33 rpm) and the last song is sooooo fucked up it sounds like freaky acid shit cuz It's all broken and weird and junk. Anybody else heard this?
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 4:55 pm

france gall's album "1968" is pretty sweet. and i've been liking the early 70's francoise hardy stuff a lot lately (i think right after she split with the vogue label.) especially the one called "Et Si Je M'en Vais Avant Toi".

on a more avant garde tip, i LOVE brigitte fontaine. kinda folky singer-songwritery stuff, but then with really weird percussion and choral pieces with chicks crying in the background and weird-ass grade-school ring-around-the-rosey sounding stuff. the album called "brigitte fontaine" or "le troisieme album" is amazing. she also did a great record with the art ensemble of chicago called "comme a la radio". awesome awesome awesome.

also, there's a great comp called "so young but so cold" of early french electronic music. and don't forget metal urbain.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 4:56 pm

As far as punk goes:
Gazoline
Metal Urbain/Metal Boys/Dr Mix and the Remix
The Dogs
Marie et les Garcons
Asphalt Jungle
Warm Gun
Guilty Razors
TV Killers did some ok shit
Splash 4
No Talents
VOLT
Starshooter
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 4:58 pm

On the France Gall tip, she actually recorded some songs in German as well as her native Fancaise. One of particular intereset is called "Der Computer" and it's a mad motherfucker of a go-go track with synth effects and robot voices.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:03 pm

60's:

Michel Polnareff (1st 2 records..)
Ronnie Bird
Jacques Dutronc
Antoine

70'd Glam band called the Frenchies sounds like the Dolls
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:04 pm

man! i just saw that record on ebay! sounds like a must-have.

i like those cecilia et ses ennuies 45's from a few years ago too.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:06 pm

Der Computer!!!

that shit is bananas.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:09 pm

How much did it go for? I've wanted that single forever.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:11 pm

I just got this Magnetix 7" (33 rpm) and the last song is sooooo fucked up it sounds like freaky acid shit cuz It's all broken and weird and junk. Anybody else heard this?

Hell yeah! Horror Chalet, they're playing that song live for quite some time now and I'm thrilled to have it on vinyl now too, it's a masterpiece!
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:12 pm

not sure. there's 2 up there right now. LINK looks the one that closes today will go for between 30 n 40 + shipping from Belgium.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:16 pm

I see. That same seller has the Pierre Henry (Les Yper Sound) ep with the best tracks from his Messe Pour Le Temps Present" album. Damn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/YPER-SOUND-Pierre-Henry-MOD-FREAKBEAT-PSYCH-Sample s_W0QQitemZ4846411760QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:53 pm

vegas thunder toured europe with gasolhead!! they are a great band!!!
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 6:19 pm

60's band Classical M got reissued a year or so ago. great stuff, pretty all over the place.

also, i like le mans, the pop band. but they might actually be catalan.

and guessing by the name I am gonna say Sebatian Tellier is a frenchie. Did the orchestartion to lost in translation, maybe(?) and has a good record the name of which translate to the incredible truth.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 6:21 pm

There's a modern Franco by the name of (Philipe) Katerine who does some pretty good loungey stuff. He had a song on the Get Easy Vol. 3 comp called "Mon Cuer Balance" that sounded like it was right outta '69.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 6:23 pm

Ultra Chicks rules!
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 6:30 pm

ive been looking for ultra chicks for a while, where can you get it?

Soulseek. Seems like a lot of people have them. orobouros has all 6 of them and they're always on. Since their folder is huge you'll need a fast connection. If you have trouble I can always upload them into my folder.

http://members.tripod.com/ye_ye_girls/reviews/ultra.html
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Clothilde
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 6:49 pm

the Liz Brady stuff is my fave off the Ultra Chicks series too.

dont forget the 90s stuff like Steve and the Jerks, Splash 4, No Talents etc.

as far as new bands Anteenagers MC is probably my fave non US band right now and one of the top 5 bands in the world right now as im concerned. first ep is the best single of the 00s. new single is fucking perfect too.

Crack un Ultra Eczema stuff has blown me away. cant wait for the french babyhead comp s-s is putting out.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 6:50 pm

also Electrochoc. CHAISE ELECTRIQUE!
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 7:12 pm

blutt
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 8:48 pm

Olivier Messiaen
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 9:52 pm

and i've been liking the early 70's francoise hardy stuff a lot lately (i think right after she split with the vogue label.) especially

Her tunes with Mickey Baker are just amazing.

Also cool are Nino Ferrer and Sylvie Vartan
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 9:56 pm

if you losers think i'm gonna hang around here and talk about french music you must be crazy. this is why you fags are so pathetic.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 10:05 pm

Oui.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Cools song from 1957 : "La java des bombes atomiques" - Boris Vian ('57), also famous for his "j'irai cracher sur vos tombes" novel ("I will spit on your graves").
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 10:18 pm

The Dogs
bite back!
man, that shit is solid good. so is a buncha stuff mentioned above, the frenchies are strange, no?!
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 10:23 pm

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 11:56 pm

Lizzy Mercier Desioux, les Garcons and all that ZE Records crew does it for me.
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 5:50 am

Little Bob Story
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®