Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Walk the Line (dvd)
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 2:14 pm

I really didn’t want to see this movie. Ray sucked, Grand Theft Parsons made me lose faith in humanity, so I figure this would be just as bad, especially with the chosen cast.
Anyway… my girlfriend really wanted to see it… I got out of having to see it in the theatres, so I stopped fighting and we rented it last night.

I gotta say that it isn’t bad. I mean, there are some really dumb parts, and Phoenix can not sign Johnny Cash very well (but who can). Overall it was a good movie and I’m really pleased that they decided to just concentrate on Johnny & June’s love affair instead of muck up a buncha facts with Hollywood b.s.

I really wanted to hate Reese Witherspoon… but I gotta say, she did pretty good. I thought she killed on “Time's a Wastin” and I’m surprised how much better she looked in brown hair & simple 60’s dresses. Also, her accent (although overkill) sounded real (not like fake Hollywood Scarlet Ohara).

Anyway… I didn’t hate it. So lynch me.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 2:35 pm

i didn't hate it either, i thought it was pretty enjoyable. gram theft parsons was honestly one of the worst movies i have ever seen
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 2:50 pm

what the hell is gramtheftparsons. I'm not gonna look it up, it'll just be too painful.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 3:14 pm

one of the worst movies i have ever seen

Not one of the worst.. it's by far THE WORST!!!!!
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 3:24 pm

I just d/led it for free so worth that but these fucking uncreative biopics...freudian childhood crap. My fav. biopic is Derek Jarman's Wittgenstein. It rocks fer shure...
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 5:58 pm

what the hell is gramtheftparsons.

It's about Gram Parsons which is played by Johnny Knoxville. I think Christina Applegate is in it also. That movie came out about a year ago direct-to-video. It sucks.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:02 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:02 pm

It's about Gram Parsons which is played by Johnny Knoxville

im sure Phil Kaufman is both proud of that film....yuck
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:03 pm

scientology movies suck the hardest

i still maintain battlefield earth is the worst movie the human race has ever produced
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:03 pm

Also, her accent (although overkill) sounded real (not like fake Hollywood Scarlet Ohara).

she was born in Louisiana and grew up in Nashville, so I don't think she had to try to hard to get the accent.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:30 pm

Yeah, but take it from me, it can leave pretty damn fast when you are gone for a bit...unless you try to keep it for your schtick. So that Oscar speech with all that "Ah nevah thought ah'd be up hereh in Hollywood when ah was back in Nashville with mah granny" speech can fuck off.

Hate her. Well, don't hate, totally disrespect.
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 3:54 am

She seems like a perfect Ole' Miss type sorority gal; lace gloves, cotillions, jerking off frat boys at the lookout point. accents/dialect seem to be a matter of choice. "schtick" is a good way of putting it.
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 3:55 am

QUITE
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 4:45 am

i like the bit where Cash is strung out in floppy motel room
and Waylon ain't loosin' a minute by ritin' some tunes..
"we don't get our kicks from lsd.."
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 8:46 am

Nope scratch that. I just watched a BBC doc. on Cash and there something about going into some caves with a huge bag of pills, talking with god/devil before he finally kicks. No reason to leave that outta the film unless...well yeah fuck Hollywood. Other shit they left out/distorted...
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 3:03 pm

I plan to never see Walk the Line. I can't adequately describe why, but I just innately understand that I'll hate it. Like I hated Crash (couldn't get through 15 mins...)
BUT! Did anyone see Freeway w/Reese witherspoon? Crazy! or Election? I used to think she was the great white hope...
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 8:56 pm

Election?

"Her pussy gets sooooo wet..." Fucking great movie. One of the unexpectedly funniest things I've ever seen. I never thought there would be a Matthew Brodderick movie worth watching more than once (except, of course, Ferris Beuller's Day Off).
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 4:40 pm

Yeah, Election was choc full 'o surprises... I love The Nabotney's answering machine message...
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:04 pm

I don’t care. Actors are totally the lowest common denominators. It baffles me how some people don’t want to see a movie because so and so seems like a “blah blah blah” kind of person. Man, they are fucking actors. Even actors you think you would like to hang out with (but never will) are complete fucks.

Reese is totally fuckable.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:04 pm

beyond.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 10:50 pm

Muscians are the lowest common denominator. I think I told you that after you tried to cut your finger off in ohio.
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 11:11 pm

1.Election rules, fucking rules.
2.When I went to Ole Miss, I knew a jocko frat guy who had a convicing "I fucked Reese story in Nashville", that I tended to believe.
3.Walk the Line was pretty good.
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 3:47 am

I'm with you on all points, schmatt. Plus, I'm a real sucker for that love as redemption shit.
I just finished watching it, and I really liked it. Course, I'm real easy to please. But, I thought they did a pretty damned good job.
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 4:45 am

i saw june carter and johnny cash at their last public appearance at the bottom line after june's "press on" cd came out. it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. she was awesome. and when johnny came out and said "hello. i'm johnny cash." the place went berzerk. even though it was mostly old people. only in this stupid world could a genius like her go relatively unnoticed at the end of her amazing career while some stupid girl gets an academy award for playing her in some dumb movie.
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 5:33 am

Dirk, you always run into people at the end of their life! shit nigga!
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 7:41 am

actors are the mechanics of cheap melodrama

i didn't say that, tom stoppard did

i have huge issues w/ walk the line because i had the privilege of seeing june & johnny perform many a time throughout my life

although i think that within the confines of that movie, reese was the best thing... she's by no means worthy of june. no way
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 1:16 pm

I watched it with the directors commentary on (I get bored here at work) and I was surprised to find out that the director & his wife spent a lot of time over the years with John & June. And most of the stuff in the movie really happened. Johnny & June left that part of their life out of their books b/c they didnt want to open old wounds.
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 1:18 pm

I liked whats-his-name that played Jerry Lee alot. He was funny. Esp on the deleted scene when he asks Johnny C "boy, did you really think all the radio stations in world share that one itty bitty record?".
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 1:30 pm

The story about him breaking that "one itty bitty" record is the story Cash told via video tape at Sam Phillips' memorial service.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®