Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / unemployment PLEASE!!
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:11 pm

Who's on unemployment? What's the best way to get some?

After 7+ years at this job I just can't take it anymore. The second I walked in this morning the boss went nuclear on me for something completely insignificant. Everyone in the office has been walking on eggshells for months and the boss has targeted me as her personal scapegoat because I won't answer her harassing phone calls to me at home (when I clock out, leave me the fuck alone.) Not to say I haven't been a good employee, for years I've been invoicing my clients for work I do and know I earn less than 10% of my total "worth" at the company. Meanwhile I know I brought to the company at least $100k in pure profit last year... no thanks for that at any point.

Sparing anymore office details I haven't been unemployed for more than 2 months since I was 16. I seriously need 6 months of living off Uncle Sam as I've been paying taxes like a good monkey for 12+ years. I would love to just fix up the house and do some traveling while I de-stress for half a year. Anyone know a good way to get laid off or "fired" in such a way that I will have no problem collecting? I would have just walked off a while ago but I couldn't mooch off my lady expecting her to pay mortgage and everything else.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:14 pm

what state are you in? i believe unemployment insurance details vary from state to state

investigate your state's dept. of labor website

then we'll find a way to get you laid off
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:27 pm

California
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:31 pm

TRY to get laid off. in NYC you can't just be 'fired', you gotsta be laid off for restructuring or somethin...
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 11:53 pm

Ack, Theresa help! (If I'm unemployed that definetly means I can drive KK&BBQ again this summer!)
The website is vague: http://www.edd.ca.gov/uirep/uifaq6.htm#eligibility

1. I was fired from my job. Will I be eligible?

When an employee is fired and files a claim for UI benefits, EDD sends a Notice of Claim Filed, DE 1101CZ to the last employer. The employer may report information about the discharge by responding to this notice in writing.

The Department will contact you and the employer to get a more complete understanding of how the job ended. The information is usually obtained by telephone approximately two weeks after the claim has been filed. Based on this information, we determine whether or not you are eligible according to state law and regulations. Each case is decided individually.

4. I just quit my job. Will I be eligible?

When an employee files a claim for UI benefits, we send a Notice of Claim Filed, DE 1101CZ to the last employer. The employer may report information about the quit by responding to this notice in writing.

The EDD will contact you and the employer to get a more complete understanding of why you quit. The information is usually obtained by telephone approximately two weeks after the claim has been filed. Based on this information, we determine whether or not you are eligible, according to state law and regulations. Each case is decided individually.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 11:58 pm

the best thing that can happen is that you get "downsized" because you won't be denied unemployment.

california is really wacky with the employment stuff.

is there anyone cool at the company with whom you can negotiate your temination so that it includes them responding to the EDD in a postive way?

it sounds like you are in a no-win situation with your boss and that calling after hours thing...
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 12:00 am

are you in sacramento?
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 8:02 am

come on a holiday up this way fag.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 11:33 am

ya, and drive us this fall!!!
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 12:47 pm

You made someone 100 g's?

What a sucker.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 3:56 pm

Yeah, Sac for some reason, not really sure why... Guess it's time for plan B: find another job, ppfffftttt. Maybe this will be a good reason to skip town finally.
No Mr. O, you come down HERE on "holiday" and burn my work down.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 5:29 pm

You have to be pretty careful with this.
Things to consider: time it will take to actually see unemployment money. A month after you file is probably the earliest date you could see a check.

I don't know how big your company is but the smaller it is, the more resistance there will be in returning an unemployment claim. Companies really dont want to pay it. You've been with them for a while, which means that if a claim did go through it would probably pass, but you are going to have a hell of a time getting laid off because there is no work if you are generating profit.

Go back through your employee contract. There should be something about unemployment in there. I'm sure the state will review it when deciding eligibility.

Good Luck!
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:10 pm

Martin - I worked solid (and a lot) from an early age until I was about 28. My company got bought out, I was offered a little severance, and I took about 6 months off. It's great! I even did it again a few years later. You end up turning into an unproductive piece of shit within a couple months, but you can really recharge by doing nothing for months. I don't know how it works out there, but you can claim immediately in Wisconsin. You're supposed to be looking for work and you're supposed to gain a signature a week, but I was never audited, so I risked it and blew it all off. Just make sure you're getting a resume ready & "putting your ducks in a row" before jumping back into the fray - I really fucked myself the first time I did this and had to get bailed out by Ma & Pa. The next time, I dicked around for 4 months, prepared shit for 2 months, and it worked out well.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 7:03 pm

Martin - I thought this might be you.

Anyway -- DO YOU have an employment contract with this company? If so, there ought to be specific language about termination, both voluntary and not.

As for the boss harrassing you expecting you to take her phone calls during off hours, that is VERY TRICKY. I had a similar situation and even contacted the Dept of Labor to see if there were any guidelines about that - and there are not. Of course, its a matter of common sense and decorum to leave the job at home... but if this is THE major problem with your job, you really best look for another one.

My suggestion would be to find another job where you could get laid off or downsized quickly. California bases its Unemployment eligibility and amount of compensation on the amount you earned in certain fiscal quarters prior to your unemployment. If you work uninterrupted - find and take another job (even if it pays a little less) and then get legitimately laid off of that, you will not have a problem collecting because the last employer will vouch that there is no more work for you - you will claim you took the new job because the prospects SEEMED better and the old job will have nothing to do with your claim.

is that possible for you?
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 9:30 pm

Shit, that's easy enough. Who want's to hire me and then can my ass?

Toddles - never been bailed out in my life, if my dad saw me fuckin' up he'd kick me in the pants from 1,800 miles away. I'm thinking a month of painting, landscaping, etc. on the casa, 3 months of travel (mostly west coast "looking for work"), and then riding it out ramping up to seriousness. I kinda want to go back to school and become an x-ray tech but that's 2 years of full time school and a lot of burden on the little lady.
I could always revisit my stab at the black market...
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 9:39 pm

In Michigan you can be laid off OR fired...as long as you didn't get fired for some crooked ass shit you pulled. I am on unemployment..I LOVE IT!
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 12:33 am

the other thing about unemployment in california is that it maxes out at less than $400 a week. or is it every two weeks? either way it's shit money.
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 1:03 am

AND the amount is based on your earnings from the previous 5 quarters - don't know if they average it, or base it on the highest earnings... still, it is crap
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 1:18 am

go watch american beauty
thats the best way to stick it to the man
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 4:56 am

you think the boss is raggin' on you?
too bad you can't sue for discrimination
you know, I quit cause my boss is an asshole.
and belittles me in front of co-workers.
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 11:10 pm

In Michigan you can be laid off OR fired...as long as you didn't get fired for some crooked ass shit you pulled. I am on unemployment..I LOVE IT!

it's true....but unemployment doesnt pay shit in michigan...but then again, neither did my job...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®