Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Motorhead (1977) > Pet Sounds, Songs in the Key of Life, Sgt Pepper...
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:16 pm

Well, you get the idea.

Anybody else into the Larry Wallis Motorhead lineup?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:33 pm

yes and pink fairies and even "police car."
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:40 pm

"Kings of Oblivian" is even better than the Motorhead stuff!!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:43 pm

even "police car."
Hell yeah - that 45 is monumental.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:48 pm

"Kings of Oblivion" was a big record at the Simply Saucer house (probably where I first heard it) The drummer, Don, had the inner sleeve pictures tacked up in his room.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:51 pm

Wallis was a friggin' maverick. He was in UFO for like thirty minutes, plus I think he produced bands like Wreckless Eric in the early 80s (?)
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 11:01 pm | Edited by: The Driver

Oh yeah - Wreckless Eric (that BROWN 10") Live Stiffs, Shagrat, with Wayne Kramer (fresh outta the pokey) as The Deviants (at Dingwalls?)...
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 11:50 pm

there's a great interview with larry wallis in one of the old forced exposures. it's ace.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 1:01 am | Edited by: Sonicg

The FE interview is online here.
It's on Larry Wallis' Pink Fairies site but the navigation is all screwed up.
Start here and click on the links at the bottom of the page to go through his career and different bands.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 1:56 am

Of course, his biggest regret was leaving Motorhead because he didn't think they were going anywhere when their label shelved the record. Can you imagine what the Motorhead catalog would have sounded like had he stayed? Some of the stuff on that On Parole record is astounding.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:02 am

The drummer, Don, had the inner sleeve pictures tacked up in his room.
It's an awesome triptych that is too rocknroll for words.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:03 am

On Parole and the s/t are the same thing, right?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:06 am

yeah. what a line up of guitar players motorhead had-larry wallis, fast eddie clark and brian robertson. plus the other guy. i never even heard "kings of oblivion" until the first time i went to england in '92. i found it in a shop in newcastle.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:17 am

On Parole and the s/t are the same thing, right?
Not if we're talking about Motorhead they ain't. The self-titled Motorhead record (the one with the black cover) was the first LP to get released (by Chiswick), but it's got Fast Eddie on it and is more uptempo and harder. The On Parole material was recorded earlier with Larry Wallis and was supposed to be their first album, but United Artists (Hawkwind's label) thought the album wouldn't sell, so refused to put it out. It's got most of the same songs on it, but entirely different versions. When Motorhead got popular, United Artists finally released the album to cash in.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 3:21 am

cool. Always confused about that.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:17 am

motorhead is a great fucking band. how many fucking great albums have they made. and they're still like one of the best groups in the world. if the ramones were still alive that would have been a great tour. the first album, overkill, no sleep till hammersmith, ace of spades, bomber, even orgasmatron. and chiswick was a great fucking label. it had a sound. that dirty pre-punk english sound. when i went to england the first time i had my pick of every punk rock record in the country for like a pound each. i got everything i had missed as a kid. and raw records too. jesse hector from the hammersmith gorillas was on both labels. he had that sound.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:28 am

I just got home and want to hear all these records at the same time!

Thank-you leftpeg for making sense of that rotted branch of the Motorhead family tree - I was never too sure where Larry fit in...

Now I gotta find my Rings 45.
Fuck the neighbors.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:31 pm

Yeah, Chiswick were right on with capturing that whole pre-punk sound going on in London during the mid-70’s. Jesse Hector is one of the great original pioneers on the London rock n’ roll scene. He’s influenced so many people. FYI, RPM Records is producing a documentary/history film on Jesse right now…should be wrapped up in a few weeks.

How about Motorheads “Another Perfect Day” album (w/Brian Robertson). That record is so underrated!
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 7:49 pm

wow. i didn't know they were doing a documentary about jesse. he's a great guy. hung out with him backstage for a couple of hours when we played together in london at the end of '93. he put on a great show that night. totally glam-style. got the whole crowd singing along and stuff. my friend barry stillwell was in his band then. the gatecrashers.
yeah that motorhead album with brian robertson is great. different sounding than the other records.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 2:15 pm

Yeah, that Gatecrashers line up in the 90’s was a real power house. I love the Carolina 45 they released back then. I’ll be meeting up with Jesse in London the week after next. He’s sort of starting up a new band, but just playing songs right now, no plans to play out right yet.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 2:58 pm

yeah the gatecrashers stuff is great. recorded at toe rag. sounds almost like the gorillas. "keep on movin'" is a great "keep on chooglin'" rip. they should have made an album. what are you meeting jesse for dr. phibes??? (if i may be so nosey). jesse should come to america. as of when i met him he had never been. he said he wanted to go to memphis. i gave him my address and phone number but never heard from him. tell him ned from the action swingers said hello.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 3:27 pm

Is any Gatecrashers stuff available. I was just blasting the Hammersmith Gorillas and Crushed Butler (!!) today. Amazing stuff- can't wait for the doc.

I've hardly heard much post-No Remorse Motorhead but that lastest one is, uh, top notch...
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 4:31 pm

there was a gatecrashers 4 song ep recorded at toe rag. i lost my copy but still have a tape barry gave me of the session. the tracks are "summertime blues", "it's you", "carolina" and "keep on movin'."
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 5:14 pm

I'm listenin' to the Rocking Vickers' "I don't need your kind" right now. It sounds like a punked-up Del Shannon or something and it drives me insane, it's so damn great!! Yeah Lemmy is one of the very few to make great rock'n roll stuff over the course of 4 decades. And don't underestimate some of the Hawkwind stuff as this is definitely no hippie stuff. As Lemmy says "they weren't the kind that were into peace and love. It was loud, we were trying to hurt people."
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:18 pm

Hey Ned…Jesse still has not been to America, though he really would love to visit. It’s on my mind to get him over here at some point. He truly loves american rock n’ roll and all it’s history. I’m meeting up with him as I’m on vacation in London next week. I’ve been a fan of his for years, interviewed him for my radio show/documentary, kept in touch with him, etc….He still lives in London and hangs out at the same pub every night. Always has great rock n’ roll stories to tell. You could talk to him for hours!! I will tell him you said hello!

On with Lemmy…some wild threads the Rockin’ Vickers wore, eh? Love the fur boots! Very pre-Manowar looking. HA Great stuff!
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:26 pm

"Dancing On Your Grave"!!!!

that chorused guitar sound is terrible for motorhead, but i still love it.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 8:20 pm

And don't underestimate some of the Hawkwind stuff as this is definitely no hippie stuff. As Lemmy says "they weren't the kind that were into peace and love. It was loud, we were trying to hurt people."

No. Lemmy era Hawkwind is incredible. You'll have to pick up the Sam Gopal "Escalator" reissue to hear Lemmy singing like a hippy. Brilliant.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 8:26 pm

Here's a review of the Sam Gopal record:
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/thebookofseth/106
Posted: Jul 19, 2017 6:47 pm

If you want those vinyl and cd's here:

http://sofrec.musicstack.com/
Posted: Sep 5, 2017 9:43 pm

cool, I started this thread over 10 years ago?
Posted: Dec 1, 2017 4:45 pm

you oughta lay off the fried foods, it's been rotting your brains and making you think you like "Motorhead".
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®