Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Who's seen the DIRBOMBS lately?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:16 pm

Was it fun? I'm bringing a gun.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:23 pm

i'll see them on the 21st in salt lake...
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:23 pm

I went to see them at Maxwells in Hoboken and at Southpaw in Brooklyn a few weeks back. Both shows were fantastic, especially the Southpaw show. It was surprising, as Mick had the 'flu and was pretty tired before he went on.

Be prepared to have fun!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:26 pm

i saw them a couple weeks ago in ann arbor
they were the same old reliable dirtbombs kicking out the jams just like you expect. they are undoubtedly one of the very best live bands around.

as much as i love them, though.... i believe the golden age of live dirtbombs shows happened when the line-up included both tom potter and jim diamond on the basses. don't get me wrong, i love ko and troy.... but that live show is NOTHING compared to the potter/diamond days. mick's got no on-stage foil anymore. its all straight ahead music and there's nothing wrong with that... i just miss the craziness of a few years ago.

still, i will be seeing them when they swing through southern california, cuz no one - but no one sings like mick collins...
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:28 pm

Nice. Excited to see them again. It's been ages. AND the Black Lips. What more do I want?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:35 pm

Last time I saw them I was bored to tears.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:37 pm

i wont be surprised if that's what happens. thats why i asked and thats why im bringing a gun. if im unhappy PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:38 pm

PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE!

who ya gonna kill if you have a shitty time?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:40 pm

prolly that drunk guy falling asleep at the end of the bar... he'd be pretty defenseless.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:54 pm

no one - but no one sings like mick collins

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! uh huh!!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:08 pm

Last time I saw them I was bored to tears.

Really? wha'happened???

A couple years ago they were the best live band around - saw them three times, then had enough - I liked that double drum sound particularly as there obviously was some hate between those drummers. I'm not sure if I'd miss Jim Diamond though.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:13 pm

w/o Diamond, you'll never hear "I'm Through With White Girls" but maybe you don't care
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:15 pm

They just seem to be going through the motions to me. Plus their music isn't very challenging to my ears. I can't listen to anything past the first LP without getting bored.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:17 pm

i agree with Bazooka.

Horn Dog Fest is one of my favorite DB records
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:18 pm

If you have seen them more than a couple times, you've had enough.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:20 pm

this is BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:26 pm

this is BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!

Gories reuion would be nice
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:26 pm

wouldn't be the same as the 90's, but I wouldn't miss it!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:28 pm

Gories reuion would be nice

doubtful it would ever happen regardless of the money involved
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:29 pm

I'll be seeing them (Dirtbombs) soon. March 18, Columbia, MO. Can't wait.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:33 pm

I think there might be to much "age" involved.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:36 pm

ZZZZZZZZZ...ive seen them like 5 times or so, never thought much of them. havent got any of their music except for a single i dont think ive ever listened to
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:40 pm

maybe the entire Detroit Scene is becoming a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:46 pm

Yeah...Out of all the line ups I've seen through the years the Potter/Diamond one is the best.

Yeah...I highly doubt you'll ever see a Gories reunion. And yep, save for a few bands Detroit has gotten dull. Unless your a big band the live scene there is really dead.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 8:00 pm

maybe the entire Detroit Scene is becoming a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I really wish Human Eye would come around more often. Fuck, Wisconsin is not that far and they would "totally shred it" in Green Bay.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 8:02 pm

w/o Diamond, you'll never hear "I'm Through With White Girls" but maybe you don't care

Yeah that was the song I hated at every gig : all my friends loved it and thought it was funny.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 8:03 pm

Horn Dog Fest is one of my favorite DB records

I agree on that.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 8:03 pm

I LOVE THAT SONG
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 8:04 pm

They were pretty good when I saw them back in September. They played about three or four new songs in a row about half way through the set, so that part sucked, and they did a lame "introducing the band" segment, but otherwise they're still worth seeing.

I agree they were the best with Jim Diamond and Tom Potter in the band.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 8:12 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

I saw them for the first time last Sept. in Montreal with the Deadly Snakes and Sunday Sinners. Everytime they had came through SF, I was out of town. That was one of the best shows I ever saw. The sound was awesome. They played all my favorite songs. Ko was going nutso. Mick was as cool as the last time I saw him live in Blacktop.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 8:35 pm

Pre-Potter and Diamond line-up(s) that I saw in Detroit around '97 were best shows I have seen. Rougher around the edges and a little more stomping.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:04 pm

last time I saw 'em was booooooooooooooooooorinnnnnnnnnggggggggg...
to me, other people were having fun though. yeah without coked up tom it's just kind of blah. But i've always thought Mick was a little over rated. I like him but, I don't get it. it's disturbing there are so few black dudes with good voices playing the RnR. Maybe that's the attraction.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:06 pm

Are doctors performing Race Changes yet or are they still working with the Sex Changes?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:07 pm

Blaaaaack Change

I think ben wallers had a black change operation.

My wife won't touch me
I can't score no crack
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:08 pm

Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:09 pm

damn you beat me!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:11 pm

I know fucken wanz dover.. he stole that name from a friend of mine. Who happens to be a NAZI! Fuck Dallas.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:14 pm

Josh, how did you graduate from college with your spelling skills?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:21 pm

Josh, how did you graduate from college with your spelling skills?

What the fuck are you blabbering about?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:24 pm

One of the biggest mistakes of my life: Halloween 2003, for some unknown reason choosing to see The Dirtbombs instead of King Diamond & Entombed. My metal cred was revoked for a full year due to that blunder and The Dirtbombs fucking bored the shit out of me besides. NEVER AGAIN. "Ultraglide In Black" was amazing, though--Collins shoulda killed the name after that masterpiece.

-Ryan
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 1:49 am

The last time I saw the Dirtbombs (last October) was the fourth time I've seen them and it was by far the best. They played for over an hour and a half and the encore was unbelieveable. I'd seen the Potter/Diamond lineup, the KO/Diamond lineup and KO/Troy Gregory lineup each one time before and the first time was the best up until then, but they were fuckin' smokin' last fall. Played a shitload of the old singles. They've still got some fire left in the tank
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:10 am

i think troy gregory is one of the best bass players around.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:18 am

that guy is a fucking douchebag. at least jim diamond is a nice dude.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:24 am

dirk.... what did troy gregory do to you to make you say that?
i think he's a stellar human being, and in one particular instance, was a way more stand up guy than jim diamond (much to my suprise)... though i love them both.
but even if you maintain he's a douchebag, he's a fucking amazing musician - on bass and many other instruments
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:30 am

i met him a couple of times when he was in prong. he was a real jerk. standing behind tommy victor and mimicing him and stuff. really stupid. plus i can't stand people who can't make up their minds what kind of music they play. i mean one minute the guys a metal dude and the next he's playing in a garage band. wtf???
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:43 am

both prong and the dirtbombs ASKED troy to play with them. diamond thoroughly endorses troy's playing too..... he's what you call a "working musician." has skills that transcend genre. his original music is neither garage nor metal. its like krystoff penderecki.

and then, dirk.... there's this pot calling the kettle issue .... you've SEEN prong? are you a metal fan or a garage rock fan? people who can't make up their minds about what kind of music they see? the door swings both ways, yeah?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:47 am | Edited by: dirk diggler

seen prong??? i worked with them at cbgbs. tommy victor was in the fast. and i'm not metal or garage. i'm punk. always have been. i bet you like ward dotson too theresa.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:58 am

i am actually completely indifferent about ward dotson.

and frankly i really don't care what people think of other people --- i only like to know why they don't like em if they make statements like "that guy is a douchebag" or "that sucks". that's my big thing, if you haven't figured it out.... i just like to know why, and i do like the debate. i guess that makes me a pedant.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 3:28 am

Mick was as cool as the last time I saw him live in Blacktop.

Man, I wish I coulda seen Blacktop. I've seen dirtbombs like 8 times, and they always put on a really good show, and Mick is a god in my opinion, but it isn't as fun anymore. I think Ko is awesome!

Ben Blackwell trampled me singing I'm Through With White Girls once when they opened for JSBX. My arm was black all the way around from my elbow to my wrist. But it was fun. I don't know why he thought he could stage dive onto a 90 lb girl. It was more like "Dive" and then he was laying on top of me and I was laughing my ass off.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 3:31 am

I guess I should qualify that by saying "it isn't as fun anymore because 8 times is a lot of fucking times to see a band play" before it sounds like I wouldn't see them 8 more times.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:10 am

It's ok Theresa, Dirk Diggler aka Ned Hayden is not only a "real jerk" himself, he's also a motherfucking sellout. For real.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:11 am

his original music is neither garage nor metal.
His "original" music is bullshit 3rd rate artfag Kim Fowley buttfuck psyche rock. Anybody heard any of the new Dirtbombs songs he's contributed to? They suck ass. He's just average bass player as well.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:13 am

I can't believe anybody would debate whether or not the Black Lips are sellouts when Dirk treats Jenna like fucking garbage and then has her put out one of his singles. What a fucking fag. Say what you want about me or anyone else assfuck, you suck.

Unless your big surprise is that your're sabotaging Jenna by agreeing to letting her put out your record and put you on a bill at her show and not delivering either. That would get me to take back everything. But I think you're actually a fucking pussy.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:15 am

HAHAHA! You suck dick, dick.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:32 am

Dirk....you remember The Freaks?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:33 am

Keep on not replying to me Ned Hayden. I know who you are and YOU SUCK.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:37 am

Your attitude don't make you any more punk than anybody else. It just makes you suck more.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:43 am

don't believe everything you read. i rule.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:48 am

man, you shits gotta get out of memory lane more often, now here's a plan..rent you la limo for the evening so the gang can drop mescaline and as Barney Fife would say, "ah Andy.." bet them Dirtboogers would sound good then and maybe Mick would get back into his musicology motif...he could slip in a Sly and the Family Stone cover..
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:53 am

goodnight tet68. wherever you are.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 5:25 am

The "Horndog Fest" line up was pretty ragged but fun. Heh...I hadn't listened to it for awhile. I forgot I'm "on" that record. Yep...Is it "She Blinded Me With Latex" where they end sorta abrupt and there's some dud whooping it up and Mick says "Well it's gonna go on the record like that now" (or something to that effect?). Yep...I'm the guy whooping it up.

Troy's an okay guy but I gotta say I don't really dig his songwriting much either. Ko's a rocker though.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:32 am

Let me get this straight:
the Dirtbombs bore most of you, but you still pay respect to Mick Collins, with a couple conditions. Like he go retro in every way.
You mostly prefer the Diamond/Potter line up but one of you hipsters preferred the pre-Diamond/Potter line up. Well, someone had to prove just how cool and shit he is. You prolly live in Detroit. Cumstain thinks your scene is dead.
Dirk Diggler and Bazooka Joe either fight each other to entertain us all or else they hate each other and Dirk may or may not be taking Jenna for a ride.
Apparently only Theresa K likes Troy Gregory and she knows too much about him for my comfort level.
And finally Jack White's butt boy falls down and/or stage dives on chicks. I always knew he was a tard.

The question I want answered, if y'all don't mind: bushmeister: are you going to go see the Dirtbombs now after all this to consider?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 3:30 pm

the Dirtbombs bore most of you, but you still pay respect to Mick Collins, with a couple conditions. Like he go retro in every way.

The Gories and Blacktop are retro?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:17 pm

josh, i think she was talking about THERE IS NO BAND CALLED THE "DIRBOMBS" you fucking tit

Oh my, will you look at that. Shoot.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:25 pm

bushmeister: are you going to go see the Dirtbombs now after all this to consider?

Only if Ned Hayden goes so he can rub me off.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 5:59 pm

I think there 7's are better than there albums.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 9:04 pm

Are you kidding? Blacktop was TOTALLY retro! We used to warm up w/ the theme from Happy Days. Fer realz.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 9:08 pm

SIT ON IT!
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 9:23 pm

stop trying to change the subject from how much i suck and what a sell-out i am.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 9:24 pm

Ok you suck fuck sellout. SIT ON IT!
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 10:16 pm

the Dirtbombs bore most of you, but you still pay respect to Mick Collins, with a couple conditions

That's good. Yeah. . .I was wondering about all that myself. Should "bored" be replaced with a different word? I don't know. I'm not going to comment on line-ups and all that jazz because I wouldn't know what the hell I'm talking about but I'm not sure how anyone could be bored at a Dirtbombs show. Unless dancing is boring.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 10:37 pm

I'm not sure how anyone could be bored at a Dirtbombs show. Unless dancing is boring.

here here! i'm looking forward to a hip shaking good time at the troubadour later this month
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 10:48 pm

shake it. don't break it.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 1:52 am

i think that second drummer, the one who looks like Drew Carey's friend on his show, fucking rocks the house. other than that mick collins is into linux and i've never met any other musician who knew anything about that.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 2:34 am | Edited by: grouchbutt

"Apparently only Theresa K likes Troy Gregory and she knows too much about him for my comfort level."

I'm also gonna go on the record saying I like Troy Gregory. I don't know him well, but he has always been very personable and cool to me. Bumped into him before they played Southpaw and he got two of my friends in. That show kicked ass. Maxwell's was a little lethargic. I enjoy seeing the Dirtbombs when they come to town. I always have fun, which I like to do when I go out.

Oh, yeah...Balls, fuckin' sellout, play Clinic with my nut sack, fuck goat shit, ass boogers, I was there when it was cool, I'm so cool I'm uncool which makes me cool again, early 7" on blue marbled vinyl, oven mitt full of negro cum, etc.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 3:37 am

Oh, yeah...Balls, fuckin' sellout, play Clinic with my nut sack, fuck goat shit, ass boogers, I was there when it was cool, I'm so cool I'm uncool which makes me cool again, early 7" on blue marbled vinyl, oven mitt full of negro cum, etc.

yup
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:41 am

it's disturbing there are so few black dudes with good voices playing the RnR.

no shit man. they all drop out. mick's the only dude still doing it. gotta applaud his willingness to keep on trying
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:48 am

that cat in the Jewws was in there till that group gave out
what about the gospel swingers, how come their lp never came out?

heard something from "Elepahnt" on NPR this asfternoon and thought it was the Makers. Mike's almost black?
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:14 am

the gospel swingers

No shit. That 7" was rad. That guy (the black singer) plays in a dub band called Sub Oslo.

Mike's almost black

Mike's as black as Prince is cool. Which to say, is not very.
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 5:31 pm

here's some classic vids of Mick in action with the gories:

Live in Detroit '92 (10mins):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JhcbwhyaAjc

Live Clips (about 8mins):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=A5lkLxPKKBQ

Nitroglycerine music video (just the video!):
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 5:42 pm

Mick is into Linux? What's the big deal behind that? Linux is turning into a consumer friendly platform very soon I bet.
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 6:36 pm

mick's been into linux since day1, however
he's probably onto something else by now...
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 6:38 pm

did he ever finish his rocket ship?
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm

he gave his rocket ship to outrageous cherry who used it in a music video...
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 7:26 pm

so he never got it off the ground?
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 7:27 pm

he's probably onto something else by now..

"Furry" fiction. For real.
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 7:41 pm

that furry thing is nothing new. what do you think Horndog Fest was all about? what do you think "Can't Stop Thinking About it" is all about?
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 7:45 pm

Check out www.sofawolf.com "Leading the team in quality Anthropomorphic Fiction"

Mick's stories appear in "Shadows in Snow: More Stories From the New Tibet" and "Best in Show: 15 Years of Outstanding Furry Fiction"

An excerpt from a review of "Best in Show" re: Mick's story:

"While not slavery, certainly inequality is the theme in "Snapshot from Fayetteville" by Mick Collins, where a human has a stressed social relationship with a foxgirl who lives in a morph ghetto. "
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 12:50 am

I saw them end of 2004 and left early out of boredom. Dead Moon killed them.
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 2:24 am

the whole current lineup are nice people, at least to an opening act from Tampa FLA, and that's usually quite the test. If bands are jerks then they tend to push around the "locals" in some way... but above and beyond sweet is KO, totally nice is Pat Pantano and Troy Gregory, and a gentleman with the flu (when i saw the too!, May '05) was Mick Collins.... ok Ben Blackwell is a real gone record nerd with too much hair... so hey!

and as for the Detroit scene being dead, no one told the Hentchmen! (and yeah i know the new johnny hentch supergroup is the new deal shit, but the Hentch put on a great show here in Tampa last year (again, May 05) even while playing at a hippie bar and opening for The Black Keys... I Like Hentch.

D-Bombs live kill mostly. these days i think they can pull off any little thing they wanna...
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 2:39 am

Played with them last May and I thought they were pretty solid. It wasn't that great of a show but it really wasn't boring either.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®