Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / how do you make your ears pop?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:34 am

i have a head cold but i had to fly today
my decongestant wore off before i got on the plane and goddammit.... you can't buy sudafed (the real thing psudephedrine) so readily anymore.

end result: my ears are so congested, i can hear very clearly my neck bones moving as if its surround sound, but can't really hear anything else w/ clarity.

do i have to wait this out or is there something i can do to make them pop?

they DID pop before my second flight and they were clear til we started the descent....
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:55 am

It takes about a day for it wear off with me. Good Luck!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 8:56 am

shut your mouth and put your hand over yer nose. then try breathing outta yer nose really hard and yer ears should pop. don't do it though. it's gonna hurt.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 8:59 am

well. my nose is stuffed up, so i can't really do that now anyway.
sounds painful
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 5:33 pm

try putting a little peroxide in each ear, it might help some- i did this to my daughter after she had a bad sinus infection and seemed to help clean them out- & if it doesn't really work you will at least have clean ears
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 5:35 pm

plug nose, then blow hard! You have to ask for Sudafed behind the pharmacist counter....
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 5:39 pm

when i woke up my ears had cleared up.

i know you have to ask for sudafed behind the counter nowadays. and i hate meth lab dudes for making it so.... i was unable to buy any real sudafed products at the airport and it made my flight so miserable. thanks meth heads.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 5:44 pm

I usually plug my nose, shut my mouth, then try breathing out firmly (but don't force it too hard). If only one ear pops, repeat while plugging the good ear, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes fake (or real) yawning or chewing gum helps me out, but then again, my ears are still recovering from a flight I took two days ago, because I was also all stuffed up and they wouldn't pop. Good luck... plugged ears have to be one of the most annoying afflictions ever.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 5:45 pm

ah, there you go.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:13 pm

I can buy sudafed over the counter but it says "pseudoephedrine free" ... does that mean it don't work as good? I have to ask for the good shit?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:34 pm

yeah - you have to ask for the good shit
the "sudafed" BRAND you buy over the counter has a different kind of chemical - it is NOT pseudephedrine. its phenylephrine or something like that. its not that it won't work as good, it may make you drowsy.

the ingredient that unstuffs you is NOT the pseudephedrine... the unstuffing ingredient is dimethyl something or other and will knock you out dead. its the active ingredient in benadryl. the pseudephedrine is what makes suafed NON DROWSY. its speed. and it also has its own dehydrating qualities, making it the decongestant of choice for me. double the drying up factor and the side effect of a little speed when you're a little sluggish. perfect cold med.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:43 pm

plug nose, then blow hard! You have to ask for Sudafed behind the pharmacist counter....

this happened to me @ xmas. terrible pain upon descent... during layover the pilots advice was ' take a decongestant b4 getting back on. Also hold your nose and blow like your trying to blow your head off.' that kinda works though it's real scary feeling and it hurts. the pilot said that if it were real bad I'd be stuck w. fluid in my ears for about 6 weeks...he was right. The fluid gradually receded until it was all finally gone about a month ago.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:46 pm

If I fly to high with my jet-pack my ears always get plugged up. I need to upgrade to an astronaut helmet.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:47 pm

just play the Fatals 10" at maximum volume!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:51 pm

or get some hearing aids. i wonder if that works.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:21 pm

i think what happened while i slept - the fluid in my hears drained
now my sinuses are clogged but i can go get some real honest to god sudafed at the drug store
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:49 pm

I usually make myself yawn. Even if it's obviously fake. SOunds weird, but the movement makes them pop back. I dunno, works for me.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®