Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / JACKIE VINYL, Publicity
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:38 pm

Brothers and Sisters of the Goner Board--

Please keep Jackie Vinyl in mind if you need publicity services.

www.jackievinyl.com

I'd be delighted to represent (some of) you!

thank you!
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:39 pm

oh yeah--and stalkers, please don't call my phone number. for real. thanks.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:41 pm

Congrats, Jenna! That's Awesome!

What am I supposed to do with this?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:44 pm

What do you do? Write ans send press releases or something?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 11:41 pm

Can you get me Blackout tickets?
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 12:19 am

Did you write the Hal Leonard Press Release for Neil Peart's "Anatomy of a Drum Solo"

great stuff Jenna
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 12:49 am

please forward any requests for dirk diggler or the action swingers to jenna.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 1:25 am

Sellout.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 1:38 am

they really are dating.....SICK!
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 1:42 am

I'm offended, seeing how Ned Hayden has always been gay for me.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 7:17 pm

Hey Jenna, how come some of your clients aren't highlighted? Are those like "potential" clients or something?
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 7:28 pm

no, those are clients i've worked with in the past.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 7:33 pm

What is it that you do exactly?. I asked you up top. I've never really understood that business.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 7:33 pm

Is the name a take on "Jackie Paper?" I love Puff. He's cool.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 7:46 pm

well, the nature of publicity is to get the word out. what I do--this is actually my salary job--is contact all forms of media across the country, pitching ideas for guest appearances on TV and radio, print reviews, features, book signings for authors, etcetera.

i'm really a salaried saleswoman. there's bank in it on the level I work, but small companies and individuals can't usually afford to pay someone to hawk their products. hence, jackie vinyl. when I love something, I have no problem standing behind it. that's what i'm trying to do here--give back to the labels and bands that have meant something to me.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 7:53 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

So do you have to get an "ok" to do publicity from the people that arent paying you to do it, or do you just go ahead and start making arragements to promote this stuff with nobody's consent? Can you actually claim plast clients with Jackie Paper if it's a new company?
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:00 pm

i don't know who jackie paper is.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:02 pm

The kid from Puff The Magic Dragon of course!

Now what about my other questions?
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:03 pm

He's being a P.I.T.A. Jenna
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:04 pm

I'm gonna grow up to be a F.A.L.A.F.E.L.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:16 pm

bj, i wouldn't take the time and trouble to go after getting publicity for someone who didn't want me to. i'm not a masochist! this shit takes a lot of time, a lot of ingenuity on the phone and in writing.

for instance, norton has a great release coming out-- Thee Midnighters out of LA. we want to do a big push in the latino community to get the word out. do you know how time-consuming that is? you've got to research what the proper media is, contact each one individually, mail shit out, follow up. etcetera ad infinitum!

but I love norton and am honored to help in any way I can. see? and you can always fail. you can work hard for a solid week and get no interest.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:18 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

we want to do a big push in the latino community to get the word out. do you know how time-consuming that is? you've got to research what the proper media is, contact each one individually, mail shit out, follow up. etcetera ad infinitum!

I have a Latin radio/ press database at work. That's the same work that I do too.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:21 pm

how much are you going to charge for a record cycle?
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:23 pm

This smells fishy. Is Scottie Diablo behind this?
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:28 pm

I have a Latin radio/ press database at work. That's the same work that I do too.

awesome!! i'll be asking--thank you!

how much are you going to charge for a record cycle?

that depends on the label/band.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 8:32 pm

ok, just curious
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 4:52 am

can you get me a discount on coke whores
and Chinese baked goods?
two of my favorite green room delicacies.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 5:31 pm

Posted: Mar 8, 2006 5:50 pm

um, nope! just this:

www.wickedsinglesrecords.com
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:33 pm

How NOT to run a publicity company (or whatever it is youre doing):

http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&to pic=6312&page=0
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 9:17 pm

How NOT to run a publicity company (or whatever it is youre doing):

well, there was also Jenna asking this peanut gallery for their opinions on a name for it.

At least she's up front about what's she's doing. Even if it seems like she's not going to earn a penny from it.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 9:27 pm

The Obvious, what's your beef against me? yeah, give me shit for utilizing the resources i have to help some folks out.

just fyi--I make over 40 bucks an hour, full-time job, benefits, vacation. i think I can create a little startup company on the side.

fuck off, dickhead.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 9:32 pm

I can't stand people that miss the point.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 9:39 pm

Yea you make over 40 bucks an hour, but you forgot to mention that you only work two hours a day
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 9:52 pm

jenna
you've got a great idea with the publicity company. i always like to hear about others wanting to help others. fuck what any of the naysayers on this board say about your intentions. they're just minimum wage earning, punk rock record collecting, whining bitches crying from the sidelines.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 9:58 pm

mitchy mitch loves him some jenna.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 11:17 pm

Who doesn't?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:13 am

I do.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:20 am

I luv me some Jenna. Your posts make me laugh and wonder all about you. You probably won't get rich doing the pr company but if you have fun, fuck it.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:38 am

Jenna my dear, I was defending you not deriding you. I pointed out you were not like Scottie Diablo pretending to be a fan when he was being a PR mouthpiece. I reminded people that you were up front about your intentions. I still think you expose yourself to alot of abuse when you speak too soon about your projects. People like you. You're open with your opinion. Who doesn't love that? I still think you'll probably lose money in your endeavor, but if you have it to lose, who am I to say?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 1:17 pm

the obvious, i misread you and i'm sorry for being rude. that's certainly not good public relations.

actually, as most who've done anything artistic in their lives, I've spent lots of unrecouped money for the pure delight of just DOING something creative. every band i've ever been in? totally. Jackie Vinyl could indeed be in the same category, however last fall I made almost 4 grand freelance in two months doing it, and that client came to see me yesterday and is delighted with this venture and will recommend me to other clients. so I will make money, I think, off authors/publishing houses rather than bands/labels, but that then will allow me to do the rock pro bono with a smile, which is all i'm going for.

i believe in volunteer work. i used to do rape crisis for 6 years at Bellevue until I moved to Bushwick and was too terrified to leave my house in the middle of the night to get to the hospital. jackie vinyl, i guess, allows me to do something for someone else again.

again, i'm sorry for being defensive and rude.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:58 pm

Man, I've had lots of girls tell me to "fuck off" before, but none of em ever followed it up with a resume.

I think what yer doin sounds fun.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 4:59 pm

and this is a peanut gallery.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 5:29 pm

i believe in volunteer work. i used to do rape crisis for 6 years at Bellevue until I moved to Bushwick and was too terrified to leave my house in the middle of the night to get to the hospital. jackie vinyl, i guess, allows me to do something for someone else again.

Helping rape victims deal with tragedy... Helping relatively priveleged white-boy rockers on the careerist track... same diff.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:00 pm

it's the act of altruism. why can't one do something just for the sake of it without getting reamed and run through the ringer by all the cynics?

and to be frank, it's not helping the bands, it's helping the labels. and I'm not going to do it for free forever--i'm not an idiot. just for a few releases to see if I can rock talk my way into getting ink and making it worthwhile to eventually get some green. you know, there are lots of publicity companies out there--girlie action, magnumpr, to name two--and I think they charge roughly 4 grand a month for their services. shit. i don't know many labels that can afford that for every release.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:06 pm

you know what? forget I even mentioned it. eric o, i'd be grateful if you deleted this whole dumb thread.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:08 pm

It's just completely ridiculous to compare rape crisis volunteer work and running a PR company. One is compassion, and the other is capitalism.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:11 pm

Just out of curiosity (and seriously all cynicism aside).. what all goes in to publicity work for independent music?

Like. What could a publicity company do that I couldn’t do myself If I had a band or a label?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:31 pm

i apologize in advance because i am indeed defensive.

It's just completely ridiculous to compare rape crisis volunteer work and running a PR company. One is compassion, and the other is capitalism.

the act of doing something for someone else's gain--be it spirtual, emotional, physical, financial--and not for your own is an act of altruism. i didn't COMPARE working with rape victims to doing some free publicity for friends who have labels. i just stated that I have been a volunteer in that capacity and now i'm doing this.

here's the real deal: I AM A PROFESSIONAL PUBLICIST. It's fun to write pitches and brainstorm ideas. In june I get to plan a party in Nashville and get to meet Harold Bradley. that is fun.

with my very real and long-lasting love of rock n' roll, I'd love to see about expanding my ability to write and pitch and brainstorm and rock talk for the promotion and benefit of bands and labels I think are awesome. in fact, I DID do this and got interviewed and referenced in THE NEW YORK TIMES. and I just pitched a feature idea --LABEL MAVENS--that would highlight women who run labels and have bands. and last year I pitched a feature to Guitar Player magazine--GIRLS WITH GUITARS IN THE AMERICAN GARAGE-- to highlight alicja, sarah from the hunches and (yes) myself. everything you see in a magazines is someone's idea. why not mine?

here's the other selfish side of this: I AM MOVING TO LA. that is the land of promotion. i want to be happy in this career because life is WORK and that means doing something every day that you hopefully don't cringe at doing.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:40 pm

You Go Girl
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:42 pm

Helping rape victims deal with tragedy...

You try to save Brad : He digs rapevideos.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:43 pm

i want to be happy in this career because life is WORK

I love you Jenna but we'll never agree on that.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:50 pm

when are you moving to LA Jenna?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:54 pm

i hate to brag.... but the SUN IS SHINING HERE!!!
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:54 pm

What could a publicity company do that I couldn’t do myself If I had a band or a label?

a publicist devotes thier entire 9-5 pushing bands/labels. i think its pretty difficult for bands to do their own publicity. i mean, its possible...but in the long run.....having someone else handle that gives you more time to concentrate on the band itself.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:57 pm

the SUN IS SHINING HERE!!

It's fucking SNOWING here! WTF Portland?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 7:01 pm

joe - the weather report says we're getting rain from your snow later this week. thanks portland. i just escaped that.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 7:04 pm

Heavy rain in Memphis. Tornados in North-east MS.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 7:13 pm

In portland we're lucky if it snows once a year- but it usually haooens in January or February- not a week and a half into March!

OK- let's keep talking about how awesome Jenna is for doing what she's doing.

First, I'd like to adress the flippant attidue some of these folks have: working with bands and labels is REALLY exhausting. I know, 'cause I tried to run a "rock 'n' roll hostel"- basically a cheap place for bands to stay that guaranteed them clean beds, laundry, phone, and internet and was an alternative to faceless motels- out of my house. It took it's toll and we didn't last that long. Musicians keep late hours, are hard to talk to, and can be pretty hard to pin down. It's not as easy as one might think. Hanging out at a bar 'til 3am when you've gotta be at work at 8:00 the next morning is hard to do more than once a week.

So congrats to anyone who tackles this shit head-on.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 2:26 pm

I tried to run a "rock 'n' roll hostel"-

That sounds like a living hell.

working with bands and labels is REALLY exhausting

It blows my mind, like, seriously baffles me that some people I know in bands can actually get their shit together long enough to record and release an album, and show up at the same place at the same time and play a show.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 4:50 pm

What could a publicity company do that I couldn’t do myself If I had a band or a label?

a publicist devotes thier entire 9-5 pushing bands/labels. i think its pretty difficult for bands to do their own publicity. i mean, its possible...but in the long run.....having someone else handle that gives you more time to concentrate on the band itself.

Additionally, the publicist usually has more contacts and know how than a band does. I mean, a band can write a one sheet and send promos out, but probably doesn't know what to do to get their picture in a two page spread in Spin.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 5:02 pm

I mean, a band can write a one sheet and send promos out, but probably doesn't know what to do to get their picture in a two page spread in Spin.

Then hook me up with the Black Lips'(overated) publicist whore
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 7:09 pm

I need someone to write a press release about my balls, they're huge right now.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 7:17 pm

I'm sure mt millionaire can take care of that problem.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 7:17 pm

Then hook me up with the Black Lips'(overated) publicist whore

i think there just happened to be a spin photographer at the show...i'm not sure if the lips gotta publicist or if she's a whore.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 7:19 pm

alright, this is what i'm doing right now:

i'm trying REALLY HARD to get alicja a feature in guitar player or guitar world. when i'm done, i'll write about your balls. email a picture here: info@jackievinyl.com

try to includes as many details as possible: heft, smell, texture, hairless or hairy as hell. you know, give me something to work with.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 7:40 pm

I'm sure mt millionaire can take care of that problem.

I'd just outsource it to a pro like dirk or BJ.
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 8:58 pm

try to includes as many details as possible: heft, smell, texture, hairless or hairy as hell. you know, give me something to work with.

Small at times, then HUUUuuge! right now, almost painful. The smell is similar to a couch in a party/flop house. I have got some hair down there,it's stringy and red! Freckle-Nuts was my nickname for a long time.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®