Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Urbana Champaign
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 12:44 am

I'm stuck in Urbana Champaign this weekend.. is there anything to do around here? at all? everyone is dressed up for St. Patricks Day and/or in Bible study groups. Help!
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 12:55 am

There used to be some decent bars with pinball & jukes nearer to campus. I remember there being a big mom n pop type record store on one of the main drags, too. But it's been a good 10 years since I last visited- so who knows what it's like these days. One thing I can recommend- do NOT go to Bloomington/Normal. It's even more boring than U/C.
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 1:03 am

Isn't St Patricks day in like two weeks/

Also I think its Champaign Urbana, not Urbana Champaign. Hope that helps!
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 1:43 am

i saw the oblivians twice in normal, illinois.
and the dirtys!
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 9:01 am

look for old signs and take pix of them..look for old records..go to the library and look at old maps..read a book..check out the co-eds..drink in a loser bar and watch what people do hear what they say..is the Chini food joint there any good
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 3:34 pm

It's pretty boring for a college town. There was one or two decent rocknroll bars there, try the High Dive. I grew up about 40 miles from there. We used to go to Champaign to buy head shop supplies. There used to be a pool hall that had the best fish sandwiches, Deluxe Pool Hall maybe?
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 3:47 pm

Are you at library school???
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 4:10 pm

it's called NERD school
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 4:12 pm

ouch.
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 5:43 pm | Edited by: clif

I know there is a belly dancing thing at the High Dive tonight, it's the early show so starts at like 6. At least you can go see some scantily clad women. Hell, I might even be there because whoever said B/N is more boring is right.

However, if you make it to normal and go to North Street Records. Good Store.
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 6:21 pm

Get a pitcher of beer and a large pie at Jupiter's Pizza.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 5:44 am

I guess you could go to the Rosebowl for country music and honky tonk atmosphere. Why not? Look where you're at!

The Jolly Roger pizza place has alright pizza and corny atmosphere. Um, Seaboat has your fried chicken/fish fare...hmmm

As for B/N...a healthy percentage of people that contribute to current goings on in Chicago had to suffer the ennui of growing up there. It may very well have had some positive repurcussions, but yeah, it's boring.

aren't most places?
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 7:11 pm

thanks for your suggestions!

yes, i'm in nerd school.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 7:13 pm

I've only been there (Urbana/paign) a couple times, but it seems like it sucks really bad. Everybody there was ugly.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 6:27 pm

I am going there this weekend and all I have on my itenerary so far is homework and the gym. Still boring, I take it?
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 7:07 pm

Yeah, that town sucks.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 7:09 pm

Maybe I will get lucky and Poster Children will play a show for me.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 7:19 pm

Maybe Hum is playing again.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 8:02 pm

some guy that goes there wants to buy my guitar from me. maybe you can find him and tell him he should for sure.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 8:25 pm

Outlook not so good.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 8:29 pm

That town has some of the best hydro around there. Ask some kids... You'll be happy if ya score. If not, get drunk and drive to st. louis or chicago...You're smack dab in the middle of em...I'd go to CHI. STL is boring too.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 8:30 pm

h'yep. I doubt whether things have changed much since bok choy's original post. What did you wind up doing, bok?
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 9:15 pm

there is one great fucking band up and coming from champaign. You'll hear about them soon enough
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 9:18 pm

Hopefully before Friday cuz that's when I'm going.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 9:23 pm

there is one great fucking band up and coming from champaign. You'll hear about them soon enough

Briad?
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 9:28 pm

I dont think so, but you can check www.openingbands.com. it looks like there is some h/c bands playin, not anything i would go see
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 9:28 pm

Sarge?
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 9:29 pm

Braid has come and gone, besides I thought they were a gay emo outfit
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 9:29 pm

oh. it must be Steakdaddy Six
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 9:31 pm

i meant to say REO Speadwagon
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 9:51 pm

I see there are Primus and Faith No More tribute bands playing. Party on!
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 10:03 pm

The Didjits?
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 10:11 pm

Total Rejects?

The great cover up is happening at the high dive, but for the most part is non-goner friendly. A bunch of indie rock and nue-metal bullshit. Me? I'll be at the Goodnight Loving/ Pink reason show in Chicago. If you have a car, its about an hour and 45 minutes away.
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 4:54 pm

Total Rejects
7" release on cliftone?
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 6:23 pm

there's some decent korean food to be had right off campus. or at least it was last november.
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 7:54 pm

I played a huge show with Los Crudos and Diskonto there in '97. It seemed alright. There were sure alot of kids at that show.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®