| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / "This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb" causes scare
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:21 am

Was this Quinn or Lacey, I wonder ...

Band Sticker on Bike Causes Bomb Scare
Mar 02 6:26 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

ATHENS, Ohio

A sticker on a bicycle that said "this bike is a pipe bomb" caused a scare Thursday at Ohio University that shut down four buildings before authorities learned the message was the name of a punk rock band, a university spokesman said.

The sticker on the bike chained outside the university-owned Oasis restaurant near the center of campus attracted the attention of a police officer about 5:30 a.m., spokesman Jack Jeffery said.

Police blocked streets around the restaurant and the Columbus police bomb squad came from about 65 miles away.

The bomb experts hit the bike with a high-pressure spray of water, then pried it apart with a hydraulic device normally used to rescue accident victims trapped in cars, acting Athens Fire Chief Ken Gilbraith said. Once they had it open, they saw there was no bomb.

The buildings, including some classroom facilities, were reopened after a couple hours.

Dean of Students Terry Hogan urged students to be more careful when showing support for the band from Pensacola, Fla.

University police interviewed the bike's owner then released him, Jeffery said. Police are still investigating.

An e-mail seeking comment was sent to Plan-It-X Records, listed on a Web site for the band as its record label. The label does not have a published phone number.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:23 am

uh, doesn't the onion come oot on wednesdays?
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:29 am

Jaws of life kills bike. Quazy.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:32 am

uh, doesn't the onion come oot on wednesdays?

This is no joke ... http://www.columbusdispatch.com/news-story.php?story=170036
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:33 am

I think this same scenario happened in Mpls. a few months ago. This chick that I work with was talking about it, so maybe not. Why would anybody whose bike WAS a pipe bomb openly admit it on a sticker? I think that would ruin the element of surprise...
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:56 am

then there was the kid who got pulled over with the Plastikman CD that looked like a sheet of acid ...
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 1:12 am

That's funny...

Several years ago in Seattle, (anybody remember?) a local artist pulled an old junker truck onto the coblestone closed street in front of the Westlake Center. A human heart made from scrap metal sat in the bed of the truck.
Written on the front bumper in small sharpie letters it said "Da Bomb". He punctured the trucks tires and walked away. It was parked directly over the bus tunnel. Thousands of people were late getting home from work that day.
This is true.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 5:00 pm

I see those bikes with that sticker every damn time I turn around.

oh brother...
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 9:45 pm

I'd be willing to bet that they're all remote controlled pipe bombs too! Watch Out !
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 10:23 pm

ha. i have one of those stickers on my car. haha.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 10:26 pm

if they're looking for the plan-it-x guy, all they gotta do is find the mini-van with an anarchy sign spraypainted on the hood.
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 12:43 am

My pipe bomb has a sticker on it that says this is a pipe bomb.
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 9:04 am

cops pulled me over for running with cut bamboo decades ago. I had a full beard and they thought I was an anarchist..
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 9:15 pm

I'm sick of getting harrassed over my extra large 1000 Homo DJ's t-shirt.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 4:53 am

I'm sick of getting harrassed over my extra large 1000 Homo DJ's t-shirt.

Jesus. Make it a Big Dog shirt and I'm in.
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 8:11 pm

Update:

ATHENS, Ohio -- Authorities in Athens said that they were investigating a mountain bike that put the Ohio University campus on high alert Thursday morning.

Athens Acting Fire Chief Ken Gilbraith said that the bike had a sticker on it that said, "This bike is a pipe bomb." He said the university police discovered it overnight, parked outside a campus restaurant.

(For those who don't know...there is a band called "This bike is a pipe bomb")

OU closed four buildings, police blocked streets around the Oasis restaurant, the fire department brought in off-duty firefighters, and the Columbus fire department's bomb squad was called in.

Gilbraith said the bomb experts attacked the bike with a high-pressure spray of water, then pried it open with a hydraulic tool and found no bomb inside.

The university remained in session throughout the incident. The four buildings were reopened by 9 a.m.

A fan of this bike is a pipe bomb who sported the
band's sticker on his bike in athens, ohio is in way
big trouble...

Apparently, after leaving his bike parked on the
street, he returned to find a bomb squad and
handcuffs. He was told that because of the sticker on
his bike he was a threat and accused of being a
bombing terrorist...

SO THIS IS WHERE HE NEEDS YOUR HELP!!!!!!!

IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WITH THE SAME STICKER ON THEIR
BIKE, TAKE A PICTURE OF IT AND SEND IT TO
thruhiker@riseup.net

THIS GUY NEEDS HELP PROVING THAT THIS STICKER IS
MERELY A BAND STICKER AND NOT A BOMB THREAT

PLEASE REPOST THIS BECAUSE IF HE LOSES THE INITIAL
TRIAL IT WILL COST HIM OVER 10,000 DOLLARS AND
POTENTIALLY HIS FREEDOM

AGAIN thruhiker@riseup.net - or you can send it to evaolymagruder@hotmail.com
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 8:14 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®