Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Gories podcast
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:37 pm

http://podcast.garagepunk.com/podcasts/GP_PODCAST_OOTV2.mp3

Ooooh!

The Gories - Live on CJAM (Windsor, Ontario)

I wish I could tell you when this was recorded, but… Well, I have no idea. For that matter, I have no idea when I got this tape, but it was sometime after they’d played the Knitting Factory in NYC opening for Alex Chilton and prior to the release of their first album. That’d put it somewhere in mid-1989, I guess.

Anyway, while most of this is The Gories live on the air, we’re also treated to part of Dan’s record collection. (In fact, the show starts with a James Brown track.) AND, some interview segments. You find out that while Dan and Mick are from Detroit, Peg is from “fashionable Ferndale.” They also recount one of my favorite pieces of Gories’ lore: Alex Chilton’s consoling of the band after the Knitting Factory crowd was indifferent. Alex said something like, “Don’t worry… Nobody’s told them you’re cool yet.”

About 30 minutes in, they go to commercial. That’s been edited out, only because my computer started having problems then, anyway.

The sound quality could probably be better - sometimes it seems to be fading in and out - but, hey, ya gets what ya pays for, OK?

Seriously… It’s good listening to this again.

Found here: http://www.garagepunk.com/?p=145
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:40 pm

http://podcast.garagepunk.com/podcasts/GP_PODCAST_OOTV1.mp3

Another good one from the same source!

he Devil Dogs - January 11, 1992 at Maxwells, Hoboken, NJ

The opening band that night was The Friggs (a killer all-female outfit based near Philly that reached the height of their powers over the next couple years), just barely formed at the time. The other act was The Voodoo Dolls out of Boston. (Their set will be available separately.)

These three bands played together in various combinations in the early ’90s, although it’d usually only be two of the three.

Anyway, this show happened not long after Mighty Joe Vincent took over
on drums.

Found here: http://www.garagepunk.com/?p=138
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:01 am

The opening band that night was The Friggs (a killer all-female outfit based near Philly that reached the height of their powers over the next couple years)

i remember them. what are they up to now? at the time i noticed them, the people who managed sting took a liking to them and were trying to help them out (how WEIRD is that?) and i wonder if that was not the kiss of death...
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 2:24 am

I knew The Friggs singer, for a minute anyway, they came through here twice. With The Chrome Cranks once, I think. I think that's their song "Bad Word for a Good Thing" in a recent car commercial!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 2:28 am

i remember them. what are they up to now? at the time i noticed them, the people who managed sting took a liking to them and were trying to help them out (how WEIRD is that?) and i wonder if that was not the kiss of death...

According to Mr. B, "The Friggs went through a whole bunch of lineups. The core was Palmyra Delran (guitar/vocals) and Ms. Jezebel (vocals/guitar). Eventually, even Jezebel had had enough. At that point, The Friggs got a new lead singer named Lexi. Although that lineup put out a full-length, it was nowhere near as exciting and fun as the lineup with Jezebel.

Palmyra Delran (and one of her latter-day Friggs' mates) soldiered on in The Booty Olympics. Jezebel has briefly played here and there with
friends, but has done nothing permanent. I do believe she's done some
guest vocal spots in the studio w/The Royal Purple."

I think that's their song "Bad Word for a Good Thing" in a recent car commercial!

Yup. It sure is!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 2:33 am | Edited by: I am the Arm

thanks jahna...

The mix is horrible...I love it.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 7:03 am

hell yeah the gories show is great... I love how they play live in between spinning killer records...nice keggs cover!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®