Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The best thing I've read in about 2 weeks
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 8:53 pm

Regarding "Trapped in a Closet" Unedited DVD (from Amazon)

A surrealist masterpiece, December 6, 2005
Reviewer: A viewer
Trapped in the Closet is a a work of unadulterated, if perhaps unintentional, genius which rests comfortably alongside the work of
Bunuel and Dali. What begins as a stereotypical melodrama quickly escalates into an epic farce which gleefully subverts our conception of what is possible and impossible. Lines like "he's opening the dresser / I pull out my berreta" and "then the midget takes his inhaler out" elevate R. Kelly's meisterwerk into storytelling genius. The subtle touches, like the fact that the midget has asthma, or that the Cop's wife is allergic to cherry pie, are like the details in a Bosch, giving life to the hellscape of modern life and revealing to us, in an age when we find ourselves drawn increasingly apart, that we are all connected in ways which may never be revealed to us, until we are forced into the closet by the unexpected arrival of a one night stand's spouse. R. Kelly's narrative interludes, delivered from inside the closet, remind us of the intent of the artist in orchestrating events, and casts R. Kelly into the mold of a sympathetic but ultimately helpless creator. By revealing to the audience both his control over evetns and his ultimate helplessness, he reminds us strikingly of Humbert Humbert in his asides to the jury.

Also, the most important thing to remember while watching is that R. Kelly peed on a 14 year old girl.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 10:22 pm

Hallelujah.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 2:31 am

That review IS right on, and if you have the DVD you can watch R. take things a step further with his commentary feature, which shows us R. Kelly sitting in a chair, in front of a screen showing the video, describing exactly what's happening in the video. Then he'll say something like, "Oh, watch this part!" and sit quietly in his chair just watching for a minute or so!!! NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 2:42 am

the best thing i've read in about 2 weeks was rev. dan's farewell speech. that was classic.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 3:26 am

But unlike Jodorowsky, dali, Bunuel R.Kelly isnt really saying anything and ran up on this surreal shit in earnest. Our perception is elevating his work and he is probably oblivious to exactly how moronic it is. But...Its so moronic it comes back full circle and seems genius. I dont know why. It reminds me why people laugh at Andy Kaufman. Its nervous laughter or just that your really high. And the fact that this guy pisses on underage nookie puts him in that great pantheon with Chuck, James, Jerry Lee, Bukowski, and The Circle Jerks. You cant pull of stupid but you can always pull off retarded.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 3:31 am

You cant pull of stupid but you can always pull off retarded.

Precisely. And it is my take that more than half the time Dali, Bunuel, Bosch and pretty much everyone who can take pen/paint to paper or what have you doesn't have much to say; it is everyone else who wants to say it. Just the genius of our faux art historian review above. And R Kelly's commentary, which I cannot wait to see by the way.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®