Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / nashville for a day
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 1:16 am

looks like i'm gonna be in nashville for a day next week... can anyone give me a run down of places (restauraunts, record stores, bars, tourist attractions) that i should check out?
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 1:25 am

grimeys -- one of the best record stores in the country!
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 2:16 am

i second grimeys
also visit: lawrence records, ernest tubb (they're next door to each other basically), phonolux (and then eat at the mexican joint next door)
there's another record store in/around elliston place and i never ever remember the name - its near the exit

eat at the mexican joint next door to phonolux and/or jack's bbq (which is on broadway not far from ernest tubb/lawrence)

east nashville is a good place to hang - some good eats and bars. i am drawing a blank on the name of the bbq joint i really like (picnic tables, loaves of white bread on the table - that kind of place)
there's a little corner there w/ a couple bars - you should hit them all and find the one you like and spend your drinking time there

i will give you more names.... i am drawing a blank - i just spent a week in michigan, freezing my brain cels
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 4:54 am

DON'T eat BBQ in Nashville. It's evil.

Eat at the Hermitage Inn on, I believe, Hermitage. Get greasy spoon diner. The waitresses have beehives (not trying to be retro beehives either) and dangle their 3 inch cigarette ash over everthing. Best food in town.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 3:12 pm

HOT CHICKEN!

Goodwill outlet - clothes by the pound!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:01 am

THe only good thing about Nashville is, it's the only place I know of where you can compare Krystals against White Castle (whitebridge rd).

Other food: Sitar on West End has amazing Indian Food. Also, down the street El Portrillo is some great mexican food.

Drink warm old draft at the Springwater (on 27th & WestEnd) and laugh at how big-a-joke Dave Cloude is.

Stay away from their bbq, aint worth piss'n on.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:41 am

hey are all you memphians as territorial about BBQ with North Carolinans? just curious
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:57 am

you could get a cowboy hat. or try to hustle your demo on music row.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 1:02 am

nah. we think memphis is best, and all that is just "somewhere else." figure they don't know any better, but we're not competitive.

we hate nashville.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 3:20 pm

the Great Escape -on broadway, is a long time staple for comics,toys, and used music. up the street a block or two is a crazy good sub shop called sub stop. pick up a nashville scene(free local paper) at either of these places to see if there are any events going on as well.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 6:50 pm

man, i don't get why north carolinans think their bbq is so awesome.....compared to what we have here in tennessee, that shit is nasty!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 6:55 pm

i've lived in nashville. in general, people are snooty and they don't support good music........the exact opposite of memphis. so i guess it depends on what you prefer for whether you like one over the other.

btw.........i've found a few good records in grimeys, but over all it's not that great in my opinion.... i've never walked out of there having spent as much as i could on any given day in goner. phonolux is extrememly overpriced!! i do like selling records to them cuz they'll give you more money. great escape usually has a few cool things on any given day.

try noshville on broadway for good sandwiches/burgers.

demos' downtown has a seafood pasta that i love.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 7:18 pm

wow, april, my head is kinda spinning by reading that you like demos' downtown but you think NC BBQ is nasty. you're really unpredictable

i dined at demos once with a friend who's got little kids (they like the cheese toast) and it was just like a denny's in my opinion. ridiculously pedestrian and totally bland.

i just find it kinda odd that you've demonstrated some truly indie taste and have a truly indie aesthetic but you don't like grimey's and phonolux but you do like the really ordinary demos and the really ordinary noshville. not that food and music tastes are at all related, but i at least equate "taste" across the board (in your mouth and in your style and preferences)
i think noshville is really ordinary because i lived in NYC for 18 years, and they honestly do win hands down on deli food across this nation

what i like about NC BBQ is the vinegar based sauce. smoked meat is smoked meat if you do it right, no matter where you live. my former roommate, a PA native and current brooklyn resident makes the best BBQ i've ever tasted - perfect pink smoke ring on his brisket and the pork.... just melt in your mouth, easily shredded off the hunk o shoulder.... if you are in brooklyn again, check him out - Bar BQ (6th ave/20th st., park slope)
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 7:33 pm

oops.....i guess i lost my "indie cred". i'm sure alot of people in nyc would think i'm bland. you'd really make fun of me if i told you where i like to eat there......i'm a small town southern girl, not very high class.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 8:18 pm

Also, down the street El Portrillo is some great mexican food.

Oops! I fucked up.. El Portrillo is in Jackson MS. The good place I miss in Nashville is Las Palmas.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 8:22 pm

Also, Grimeys (in my opinion) aint worth walking in to.

Phonolux, April hit it, stupidly over priced BUT they just might have that one record you been looking for (esp rare country & soundtracks). Their used cd prices arent too bad.

Great Escape is worth wasting time in. Esp if you never been.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 8:22 pm

Throw a rock a Grimey and tell him he's a fuck-wad!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 8:24 pm

nashville does have alot of great mexican restaurants....probably since alot of mexicans live there.......everyone seems to have their own favorite......
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 8:24 pm

And on your way outta town throw molotov cocktails out the window and burn that fucker down to the ground!
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 8:37 pm

a cool tourist attraction that alot of people forget about is the parthenon. anytime i take people there, they seem pretty amazed. pay to go inside too......they have cool art exhibits sometimes and they built a huge athena statue that's pretty impressive
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 8:37 pm

a cool tourist attraction that alot of people forget about is the parthenon. anytime i take people there, they seem pretty amazed. pay to go inside too......they have cool art exhibits sometimes and they built a huge athena statue that's pretty impressive
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 8:52 pm

pay to go inside

You can go inside? This is funny... I lived there for 2 years and I never knew that.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 9:18 pm

the otherwise hokey country music hall of fame has some great stuff in there... some cool video clips of performers from way back when.... you just have to ignore the marty stuart-ness of it all and enjoy for instance, the videos of wanda jackson.... elvis's goldcar complete w/ car phone, etc.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 9:23 pm

Do they really have the car (trigger) from Smokey & the Bandit?

I never had the $ to go... but always wanted to.
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 9:25 pm

they have all kinds of stuff there - whether or not is on display is the question. it is a rip off to get in there... something like $16 or $20....
but there is indeed some cool stuff to be found
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®