Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:31 pm | Edited by: Matthew

anyone been/live there...Im going this weekend. never been.

what should I not miss in the way of

good cheap food.
shopping(music. etc.)
odditiies
badonkadonks

???
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:35 pm

i've never been, but I would say South Beach
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 4:22 pm

I hear there's a good tattoo shop there.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 5:11 pm

Oh man--what a trip that place is. My favorite part about it is that all the concrete cannot stop the wild greenery from sprouting; even on the expressway, in between slabs of concrete, green stuff is popping out all over.

Other great things: Wild parrots in the trees...and some say monkeys too, but I never saw one.

Go drive thru Coral Gables (lovely homes)

South Beach, all of Miami Beachi, is a must

Calle Ocho--the Cuban area, good food for days

Buy a Cafe con Leche and drink up that shit for me--so delish.

Watch out for the driving; people drive like there are no rules (and this is blamed on the amount of Cubans, Haitians and Jamaicans--all of whom despise each other BTW--there).

I really have a soft spot for Florida--it is gross, but charming in many ways.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 5:17 pm

Just watch this tv show and you'll probably get the hang of it. http://www.upn.com/shows/south_beach/
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 7:02 pm

On Miami Beach, go eat at Wolfie's Rascal House. It's probably the best NY Jewish-Style deli that isn't in NYC.

Make sure you get a cuban sandwich when you're on Calle Ocho (8th St.) It's a grilled sandwich with ham, some other kind of pork, cheese, and a pickle. Get that with a side of fried plantains and you'll be good to go. A great place to get it is at Versailles, which is a Miami-Cuban institution.

Check out the show listings for Churchill's Pub. http://www.churchillspub.com/contactUs.htm
They will have a good show occasionally. The Black Lips played there recently.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 7:59 pm

If you are in South Beach, and want to get insanely drunk, go to Wet Willy's. It is a small bar that has 30-40 slurpee machines filled with different flavored ice drinks mixed with grain alcohol. The one I do not recommend is called "call a cab" (their strongest drink). I could barely walk 2 blocks to my hotel after one.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 12:11 am

News Cafe.

Joe's Stone Crab.

I wanna go!!!
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 12:15 am

Track down Bill Orcutt and ask when they will do a Harry Pussy reunion.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 1:27 am

Man I thought this was going to be a thread discussing the merits of the Gun Club record. Fire of Love!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®