Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Sounds of American Doomsday Cults
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 2:51 am

Did anyone else get this disc? It's NUTS!!! It sounds like a female livestock auctioneer on helium! Track #5-"Invocation for judgement against and destruction of rock music" is the BEST!!! "...the fallen angels out of the bottomless pit... all perverions of the 3rd eye... perverterd movements of the body, including break dancing... the fallen angels including: Micheal Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, David BOOwie, Culture Club, including Boy George, Dean Martin, Cindy LOOper, Huey Lewis and the News, and the movie GhostBusters and Scoobie Doobie Doo!!!" Wow! I live for this kind of stuff!
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 2:59 am

I've been thinking of getting that myself, but put it off. I asked about it, too, and eric responded:
aquarius records described it thusly:

it's one of those things that just makes you proud / embarassed to be an American. Elizabeth Clare Prophet purchased 24,000 acres in Paradise Valley, Montana and started The Church Universal and Triumphant, a creepy new age doomsday cult in which Prophet channeled spirits such as Jesus, Buddha, K-17, Morya, Quan Yin, Afra, Hercules, Mighty Victory, Astrea, Shiva, Pope John XXIII, and more. (Sort of like J.Z. Knight of Yelm, Washington and her channelling of "Ramtha" except even more scary.) Prophet and her husband stockpiled arms, built giant bomb shelters, and coerced their devotees to purchase their own survival equipment at exorbitant prices. Throughout its existence various members of CUT were indicted for kidnapping, lost custody of the children who belonged to the church and were investigated for tax exempt status and firearms violations. In 1995 former member Joeseph Pietrangelo Jr wrote a book condemning CUT entitled "Lambs to Slaughter: My Fourteen Years with Elizabeth Clare Prophet and Church Universal Triumphant".
But the thing that really puts CUT on the map for us is their way of conducting their religious services. The tapes of these services have been floating around for years already. Those of you familiar with Negativland's 1989 album "Escape From Noise" will already be familiar with an excerpt of one of the tracks on this album, as they used it for the track "Michael Jackson", and Steve Fisk has been using these tapes for years as well. This record features live recordings of Clare Prophet 'speaking' out against the evils of rock music. She sounds perfectly normal as she introduces her 'psalms' or 'songs' or 'speeches' or whatever they are. But when she gets going, it's amazing. And so goddamn insane sounding. Her rapid fire high pitched testifying sounds a bit like an impossible mix of an auctioneer, a yodeller, the guy who sings the directions at a square dance, Neil Hamburger huffing helium and variations of baseball's 'hey batter batter' chant only faster. It's like that sound you make when you sort of hum/breathe out and move your finger up and down between your lips making a sort of 'bebubebubebubebubebubebubebubebu' sound. It's one of the most amazing things we've ever heard! A must for all cult fanatics, new age withdrawal victims, seekers of the truly strange, and fans of extended, trancelike vocal techniques.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:02 am

Don't cross the streams!

So it was available on wax too? What the hell is Vol. 14? The Aquarius Records site has the same description for both. And the sound clips wouldn't play.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:09 am

This is not for everybody! If you like stuff like "The Connet Project" and other weird nonmusical audio stuff then you'll like it. I wish it could be a little longer... it's only about 45 minutes.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:13 am

If you get the vinyl you can play it backwards. That's an hour and a half of weird! Have you been privy to the anti r'n'r and pinko oratory styin'gs of Dr. Jack Van Impe? I played that forwards AND backwards for Dtrain one night.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:14 am

I just got a great educational blue flexi disc 7" of this guy going to Nepal. He starts freaking out about the legend of the Yetti!
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:21 am

If you get the vinyl you can play it backwards. That's an hour and a half of weird! Have you been privy to the anti r'n'r and pinko oratory styin'gs of Dr. Jack Van Impe?

I think you owe me some recordings... By the way I sent that disc to B.M.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:23 am

Yeah, Senor Bowel Movement played "I'm Down" for me on the phone last night. I have a new favorite drummer! I had to give him your number and email address.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:24 am

I'll record the Jack Van Impe record for you but I have to make sure I'm wasted first. Shouldn't be a problem.
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:24 am

I think you owe me some recordings

Seriously!
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:26 am

I heard you the first time!
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:27 am

Oh yeah, did he call you? He siad he was gonna call your cell and hope to catch you at a thrift store doing more "a&r" work!
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 4:29 am

did he call you?

no.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®