Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / who was better at the Blues than Howlin Wolf?
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 1:47 am

Hmmm?
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 1:55 am

muddy waters.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 1:57 am

Yodelin' Sam.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 2:10 am

Howlin' Wolf > Muddy Waters.

god bless.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 2:16 am

Furry Lewis
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 2:32 am

<Howlin' Wolf > Muddy Waters.>

the blues is not algebra dickface.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 3:08 am

Hmmm?

nobody
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 3:32 am

better? worse? who cares...all those dudes did things that were equally cool
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 3:58 am

better? worse? who cares...all those dudes did things that were equally cool

who cares about alot of topics on message boards.

Blues is nice to fall back on and listen to when you are sick of the same old shit, nothin sounds more cool then well-played blues!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:05 am

greg oblivian got the sound
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:10 am

I don't think there was any greater voice than the Wolf ("where the soul of man never dies," said Sam Phillips), but I do like Muddy Waters, Son House, Furry Lewis, Slim Harpo, JB Lenoir, Charley Patton, Little Walter, and many more. Check the Sun Blues Box for great crazy/scary blues from Pat Hare. And for an entirely different voice than Wolf, but an equally intense sound, check out Bentonia bluesman Skip James, who sang about those Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:08 am

A friend was just in the Blues contest out there in Memphis and he basically just does covers of Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf and the like with a drummer and another guitarist. Everybody else was doing Stevie Ray and the electric bar band deal, and I guess he actually had people come up to him and ask him what he called the type of music he played
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:12 am

I'm certainly down with all the roots, but the WOLF is my absolute favorite...so wonderfully unique.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:16 am | Edited by: Bob Seger

bo diddley, if you consider him to be blues.

Bo Diddley had a few nice R&B ballads ype tunes that are great, I wish he did more of those.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:20 am | Edited by: jblundell

i really dig robert wilkins, blind blake, dock boggs (white WV coalminer blues), and skip james. nothing beats devil got my woman. plus, skip could play the piano as good as the guitar. leadbelly is great too, of course.

son house:
http://www.youtube.com/?v=ODEberbcfTw
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:40 am

Dr. Ross, Hound Dog Taylor and Elmore James too...
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:46 am

jimmy reed.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 7:06 am

Esteban.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 7:17 am

I gotta say, Elmore James has a voice that is pretty intense

as for guitar, Big Joe Williams seems is very fine for a black guy

Son House has intensity is audible as well as visibly undeniable

I could never pick just one artist, so I should not be contributing to this thread..
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 7:24 am

Oh yes and Blind Boy Fuller geetar is worth a mention
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:26 am

Could someone please explain Esteban to me? Who the hell is this guy and why is he worthy of his own guitar brand? Did he just make up his own celebrity after buying guitars and infomercials, or was he famous in Spain or Mexico (as he wants me to believe) and was asked to endorse guitars and insurance companies? Anyone can play house of the rising sun, why is this asshole important?

Sitting on Top of the World by the Wolf could be my favorite blues song. Though I imagine an Esteban version could out do ol' Chesters.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:58 am

mark beef- you talking about tom walbank?
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:55 am

Blind Willie Johnson! don't you forget about him!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 11:40 am | Edited by: ottawarockerdude

howlin wolf had THE VOICE, the greatest i've ever heard

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 11:46 am

and wolf fans should pick up this book: Moanin' at Midnight: The Life & Times of Howlin' Wolf
...i'm currently reading it, and it's amazing:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0375422463.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 1:57 pm

Robert Pete Williams was as deep as anybody, particularly the "Louisiana Blues" LP on Takoma, and the early recordings by Harry Oster.

Also Richard Amerson and Horace Sprott, who are more from the older holler tradition, but when they sing they stop time.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 2:20 pm

Also great (not better) : BIG BILL BROONZY!!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 2:45 pm

Here's a great film from the early '70s which features Otha Turner and includes footage of a young RL Boyce, Napolian Strickland, Compton Jones, etc.:

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,59
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:10 pm

I don't know if it's off-topic or not; I've been digging on Paul Butterfield Blues Band a lot lately. Only whities around playing that stuff in Chicago at the time. They learned form Muddy & Wolf respectively. Muddy's rythm section on the first two albums. The first album is a must have.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:29 pm

Agreed with Hound Dog Taylor--I love the way his songs sounded. I didn't think they were particularly "bluesy" like Howlin' Wolf though. He was like Happy Bad Ass Blues.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 7:44 pm

Esteban is important because he's so soulful. The notes just melt off his fingertips - like they were wax and his passion was the heat.

Plus - he kinda looks like Mickey Rourke.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:04 pm

J. B. Lenoir
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 11:24 pm

that Son House footage of him doing Death Letter is like the best thing ever.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 11:44 pm

yes sir, joe danger

he's pretty good for a limey...just don't ask him to play any Bread
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 12:38 am

I've really got a thing for Slim Harpo and just about anything on Excello. I think it's the SOUND of those records that gets me....the room, the players, the tape recorder, the board, I don't know what it is, but it's just unbelieveably funky.

This is more R&B but early Johnny Guitar Watson is great too.

Both those guys died way too young...
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 3:13 am

You must tchek out the dvd "howlin wolf story", there is some
crazy footage in there. Son house is in there too...anyway it
rules so go see it!
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 3:48 am

blues hammer
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 4:51 am

joe piscopo
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 4:55 am

skip james is it
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 6:03 am

mississippi gary
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 6:03 am

john goodman
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 6:33 am

james belushi, final word.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 7:47 am

A great realization about the Wolf, my pal Milton Robicheaux of Big Drag asked me if Wolf was a great guitarist or harmonica player. I told him no- the Wolf's voice dwarfs everything- he's wasn't super ripping soloist.
But of course he had Hubert Sumlin. I lucked out and got to see Hubert play a bunch of times in austin and he's really incredible, vibrant player.
Bukka White is raging.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 3:11 pm

bessie smith has a voice that blows my mind
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 2:04 pm

But of course he had Hubert Sumlin.

Don't forget Willie Johnson. The stuff Wolf recorded with him on guitar under the guidance of Sam Phillips are my favourites of his output.
The two Memphis Days cd's on Bear Family are, in my opinion, just about the best electric blues there is.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 7:31 pm

Hound Dog Taylor ( 6 fingers..!!!! freaky)
J.Lee Hooker
T-Model Ford
???
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 1:28 am

and wolf fans should pick up this book: Moanin' at Midnight: The Life & Times of Howlin' Wolf
...i'm currently reading it, and it's amazing:

I'm reading that shit too, great book....great man, those stories in the last few chapters are damn near heartbreaking
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®