Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Grey Gardens
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:26 pm

Anyone else a huge fan of this movie?

Well I heard yesterday that they are making a Hollywood movie out of this gem starring DREW BARRYMORE as Little Edie and Jessica Lange as Big Edie. Is nothing sacred????
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:33 pm

I've wanted to see this since I heard about it.

And no, nothing is sacred in the Hollywood re-make factory. I don't even care about it anymore, as long as I have my originals.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:34 pm

can't be worse than the ensuing Miami Vice remake.

I'm confused. Saw this years ago and remember it being a documentary. They're making it into a drama? gross.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:03 pm

Great movie. Directed by the same guys that made "Gimme Shelter"- the Maysles brothers.

If any of you PDXers are interested, I'm screening another of their movies- "Salesmen", which is about Bible salesmen- next Tuesday at Video Verité.

Also- I'm holding out hope for "Miami Vice"... after all, it is being directed by Michael Mann, who not only generally is pretty awesome, but he created the TV show, too. So hopefully the guy who created it in the first place won't blow it too hard,
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:05 pm

Salesman? Salesmen? Whatever, that movie is GREAT!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:24 pm

AndreaH, you'll looooove Grey Gardens. The original. It almost cracks me up to envision Drew Barrymore with her lisp overacting as Little Edie stepping around cat shit and mice.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:25 pm

we talked about this in the brutally depressing movies thread.

one of my alltime faves!!!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:26 pm

Eric, I concur. Fantastic piece of cinema.

For fans of this style of documentary, I also recommend Frederick Wiseman, unfortunately, most don't appear to be available on dvd for various reasons.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:58 pm

Grey Gardens sucks shit. Fuck DREW BARRYMORE. She sucks. Hope she dies and quick.

You guys are assholes.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:06 pm

one of my alltime faves!!!

mine, too.
Hey, I heard they were going to do a MUSICAL of it Off-Broadway. Now that's really hard to imagine!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:25 pm

Drew Barrymore with her lisp overacting as Little Edie stepping around cat shit and mice.

the more I hear about this movie the more I envision my own future.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:28 pm

I heard that Little Edie was totally into the musical idea, but somehow I doubt she'd appreciate the film.

The Frederick Wiseman stuff is available on VHS at Movie Madness in Portland.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:32 pm | Edited by: jblundell

grey gardens is great. little edie's "costumes" are fuckin fantastic! nearly all the other maysles brothers films are worth watching. the christo docs are good, too.

i hope gus van sant isn't directing the dramatic version...
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:49 pm

from the NY Post's Page Six:

February 24, 2006 -- MIDTOWN theatergoers were shocked to see Jackie Kennedy's sister, Lee Radziwill, at Friday night's preview of "Grey Gardens." The play - soon to be a movie with Renée Zellweger, maybe, starring - is based on the infamous 1970s documentary of the demented, cat-loving Bouvier cousins, Edith and Little Edie Beale, whose East Hampton home was once declared a public-health threat. Radziwill, whose late sister tried to shut the original documentary down, seemed none too pleased with the mostly gay audience and walked out at intermission with her flamboyant date, Vogue editor Andre Leon Talley.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:18 pm

Andre Leon Talley can kiss my white ass.

Anyway, Renee Zellweger?!?!?!? Am I in a nightmare?
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:23 pm

Anyway, Renee Zellweger?!?!?!? Am I in a nightmare?

Her eyes. . . what's wrong with her EYES??!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:46 pm

Squinto McGhee.

What is wrong with HER, period? She is an alien.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Def NOT HOT!!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:50 pm

The Frederick Wiseman stuff is available on VHS at Movie Madness in Portland.
My vcr died about 6 months ago, and I don't really want to get another one if I can help it. Fuck, do they even sell them anymore?
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 3:55 am

Go to a thrift store or pawn shop--cheap cheap cheap.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 11:12 am

I second the thrift store thing. Honestly, most VCR's still in production (and the tapes being made) are of such low quality that you're better off buying a VCR that's ten years old from Goodwill. For serious.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®