Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:33 am

Speaking of "Porcella" not being garage enough for this crowd...

Has anybody ever heard The Cuts? I just listened to most of this new CD on Birdman and I'm in love with it. It's like decent 70's radio rock with Richard Hell meets Rick Okasek singing and I'm pretty sure I heard an early Hall and Oates vocal riff in there. The production is nice and big and the instrumentation is great, too. Lots of organ and horns, some synth and electric piano, whatever the fuck else... I dunno, I've never really listened to music like this at any point in my life, but I'm glad I just had a headphone session with these guys. I bet they'd be a great band to see with the Reigning Sound. Someone come over and get me stoned.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:43 am

I am stoned. (See Asylum Choir II thread.)
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:01 am

i dig them

i had that 2 over ten record but i let somebody borrow it and havent seen it in a year
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:02 am

This one is called "From Here On Out."
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:13 am

I saw these guys live and I hated every second of it. I'm trying hard to remember who they opened for but they were so boring it's not coming to me. Perhaps their studio stuff somehow captures something but it was bad live.

Oh shit, I just remembered who they opened for - somebody you guys dogged on the other day. The Black Keys. How could you dog on the Keys and like the Cuts??
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:36 am | Edited by: razor shines

I was supposed to book these dudes in Montreal when the Mystery Girls were touring with them a couple of years ago, but Jamis had to have dental surgury or some shit and the MGs dropped off the tour. Then I got a copy of "Two Over Ten" a few days later in the mail and I'm like "What the fuck is this shit?" It didn't even sound like the same band that made that LP on Rock'n'roll Blitzkrieg a couple of years before that, let alone that Lookout Records 7" (the only great thing they ever did). I don't care if its not garage, its boring. "Porcella" on the other hand is a real deal pop record from a band that's always been great.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:22 am

i dig the Cuts.

also good Bay Area bands are the Time Flys, the RockNRoll Adventure Kids and
Bananas
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:26 am | Edited by: jblundell

bazooka joe HATES the time flys, so we know this is an objective review. i'll check it out. i like the rocknroll blitzkrieg record. never heard the 7".
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 1:02 pm

i didn't say the new deadly snakes is not garage enough i said it sucks, and the other ones were much better. to me it sounds like the band jams and one of them is reading poems to it.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 2:22 pm

I love the Cuts. Common logic with "garage" folks is they made a great single and good debut LP and then started to suck, but those people are wrong. The second LP is one of the best of the 2000s. I love it, it holds up every time I go back to it, the songwriting is first rate, and it sounds like a mesh of Love and Echo and the Bunnymen or something weird like that. I'm still waiting on the new album, but I'll bet I dig it. Live, the first time I saw them (before the first LP, I think) they were a fairly energetic rock band, really fun, but sorta typical. Since then, it's a different kind of deal, intricate and a bit mannered, but I like the songs so I like seeing them even if they wear wizard outfits (note: they've been known to wear wizard outfits).
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 2:47 pm

Yep, I still listen to 2 over Ten quite a lot. Great songs. I had a lot of fun seeing them live - easy to dance to.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:24 pm

How could you dog on the Keys and like the Cuts??

Are they similar at all? There's about 15 instruments on the The Cuts' record, and I think two on the Black Keys' record. Plus The Cuts aren't playing "blues."

i didn't say the new deadly snakes is not garage enough i said it sucks,

I know, someone else did. Just proving a point that most of us don't give a shit if it's "garage" or not.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:25 pm

I love the Cuts. Common logic with "garage" folks is they made a great single and good debut LP and then started to suck,

I wasn't even aware of thir existence until yesterday.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:30 pm

girl, don't you look behind that mirror
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:31 pm

2 over ten was really really good. I liked it a whole lot better than the first record - but I saw them live a couple years ago - after 2 over ten and they played mainly new songs - evidently the stuff that wound up on this record. The keyboard player sang most of them and they all had this sorta Meatloaf quality about them. And all the things BJ said up top sound about right, too - it had this serious 70s piano rock sound that rubbed me the wrong way. But it seemed like where they wanted to be - so more power to 'em... they sent us a promo that I can't get to play on our shitty cd player... maybe it all comes together in the studio... I hope so.

And I think Greg produced some or all of 2 over ten - so there's your Reigning Sound connection. Those songs DO hold up. Greg always made the Love comparison too - I hear it. GREAT garage pop.

Speaking of which - when's that Griefs full length coming out... anyone heard anything?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:34 pm

And I think Greg produced some or all of 2 over ten - so there's your Reigning Sound connection.

You don't say? I got ears of fucking GOLD baby!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:35 pm

2 Over Ten is a solid record. I really like what their doing and I think I'm gonna go purchase the new album right now.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:36 pm

He did produce it.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:37 pm

Didn't Greg also say that the Demon's Claws are the next best thing?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:42 pm

the whole thing sounds very gay to me. sounds like "somebody" got a free promo.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:46 pm

I got a promo by accident. I've recieved lots of things for free that are now sitting in either a second hand CD bin or a fucking garbage dump. This one I'll keep.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:47 pm

I got a free copy of the new Sparks CD too. I dont know what the fuck to do with that though.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:48 pm

I'm honest and I have ears of gold and balls of steel.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:48 pm

I like the Cuts. What turns me off of the Black Keys is their interpretation of the blues (which is horrible!); the Cuts are a rock band with a bunch of different influences from the '60s-'70s. No comparison between the two, whatsoever.

Didn't Matthew Smith from Outrageous Cherry record one of their albums? Now there is a songwriter. I love that band.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:08 pm

new record is AMAZINGS. i too didn't dig the electronic piano jazz direction they seemed to be going at the Young Avenue Deli show, and thought their 2nd record didn't come near the 1st, but this new one is hotttt.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:11 pm

2 over 10 is one of the records I am most proud to have produced(sang and played a little guitar too). Great songs. First time I heard'em I flipped for their Love meets Revlons groove. A year after the recording they came through town touring on 2 over 10(see Zac's comments of said show) and played almost none of the songs from the record. I was a little disapointed as was most of the crowd. The piano player(Dan) was really pushing his new songs. They just didn't grab me and frequently vered into Christopher Cross territory. I don't know that that stuff was well received anywhere outside CA. The new direction may have had a bit to do with the creation of the Time Flys as well. Haven't heard the new Cuts LP but I got the most recent 45 "I'm not Down" and after a couple listens I like it pretty good and it's not that dif than 2 over 10. Back To The Known! Also Garett who played the drums and most of the lead guitar on the record should have his own band someday. Super talented guy.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:15 pm

Yeah, I don't get the keyboarderer's tunes at all. They don't even come close to meshing with the other shit, and the other shit rules. I thought they were excellent live, but the played mostly "2 over 10" stuff when I saw 'em.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:16 pm

All promos are free Dirk.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:23 pm

I wanna hear the new Sparks cd Bazook!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:26 pm

Yo, it's all yours! I'm down with the radio edit of "Dick Around" but I can't hang so good with the LP version. The second song (something to do with perfume) if funny and really good, but I don't have the patience or the gayness for the rest of the album. I'm sure you'll love it!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:40 pm

The keyboard dude is who ruined it for me now that this keeps flooding back. It seemed like he was so out of touch with what everyone else was doing that the whole thing was just a wreck. I'm not sure if their show always followed that line but I got the impression everyone else in the band seemed upset with him as well. He was awful. I've heard nothing else that they've recorded and really didn't want to after that show. I'll give 'em another listen.

Joe, as far as the "boring" comment involving the Keys and The Cuts, my point was that each of us has an interpretation of what is boring. Not that they're musically related in any way. That should have been obvious.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:48 pm

I think the Cuts are great. Bazooks, you do realize that the main sonwriter is also the main songwriter for the Time Flys, right?

What a moral crux for you.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:50 pm

At least the Cuts don't have a schtick, you moustached fleabag.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:51 pm

I like this CD alot too. and yeah mike, i do get the time flys association but it doesn't make me like the time flys any more or the cuts any less.

so no moral crux here. i'm sure joe's having trouble though.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:04 pm

I'm running around liie a chicken with it's head cut off! Buh-COCK!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:05 pm

i do get the time flys association but it doesn't make me like the time flys any more or the cuts any less.

You're so smart. Wanna hang out?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:13 pm

get a room!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:16 pm

OKAY!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:17 pm

I got a free copy of the new Sparks CD too. I dont know what the fuck to do with that though.

send it to me!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:18 pm

Dtrain got dibs. Sorry!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:34 pm

The piano player(Dan) was really pushing his new songs. They just didn't grab me and frequently vered into Christopher Cross territory.

...Haven't heard the new Cuts LP but I got the most recent 45 "I'm not Down" and after a couple listens I like it pretty good and it's not that dif than 2 over 10. Back To The Known! Also Garett who played the drums and most of the lead guitar on the record should have his own band someday. Super talented guy.

Ed O, I would definitely agree (and I've had this discussion with other people before as well) on the Christopher Cross factor, which leads me to ask what you thought of that new 45. The two faster songs are ass-kickers, but the second track on the b-side left me a little perplexed. I'll leave it at that. Also, Garrett rules.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:35 pm

here's me third-ing zac and ed 0's sentiments re: the Young Avenue Deli show. I really liked 2 Over 10 (kudos, Greg), but the wares they were pimping that night were l-a-m-e. When I saw them two(?) years before at the Hi Tone they were on fucking fire though.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:44 pm

didn't Garrett also play some leads on the Time Flys LP?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:57 pm

Colbito: check yer e-mail!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:58 pm

It's weird in that the same tour you guys are talking about, I mean, they played almost all 2 Over 10 tracks, though I bugged them about playing a buncha favorites beforehand and so did other people. There was maybe one boring keyboard thing. That third track on that single, that has to be them making fun of themselves with the D&D angle...or making fun of something. There's no way that can be serious.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:59 pm

D&D angle? I guess that one went over my head...
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:00 pm

We played with the Cuts a few times – I remember a show at the Hi-Tone and one at the Two Stick in Oxford, for sure. They did a great set at Ernestine’s once, in which they did a version of “Baby Let Me Follow You Down” that was INCREDIBLE. Didn’t see the above referenced Deli show but man, did I hear about it.

The general impression I get is that they are relatively willful young men with specific sounds/ideas in their heads who will do what they want, everybody else be damned. Much good and bad music has been made that way.

Agreed about Garrett, BTW.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:02 pm

christine those promos are for the customers only. and the sales people to sell at kim's after work. i'm telling michael.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:02 pm

That song has a Rennaisance Faire feel.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:09 pm

Colby is in the biz. HA!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:09 pm | Edited by: sixteene

ned: mind yer own beeswax why don't ya? you're off the mark on this one bucko.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:13 pm

that's it. you and your bitch are off the show.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:14 pm

No biggie. I'm still going. I don't need to be on the bill to prove anything.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:19 pm

<ned: mind yer own beeswax why don't ya? you're off the mark on this one bucko.>

get a sense of humor. you know i would never talk to that faggot boss of yours ever again. or your bitch.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:20 pm

I'm not a bith!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:23 pm

I'll look forward to seeing you on the 28th neddles!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:25 pm

Awww, Neddles... CUTE!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:30 pm

yeah, dudes, that's MY show and you're ALL playing so fuck off and quit threatening each other. we're gonna get down and PARTY!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:31 pm

I just wanna see you try to blow the Action Swingers off the stage. That's gonna be AWESOME!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:35 pm

dude, it WILL be done. we should put some goddam GREEN down on this--and I don't mean weed. I mean WAGER. who's up?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:37 pm

I got 5 whole dollars that says Action Swingers rule the night.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:44 pm

dude, you don't have 5 dollars.

i put up 10 and I say we turn this into a full blown BATTLE OF THE BANDS, with memphis mike as Audience Aggressor.

ned, edgar, you down? i know billy and miriam will be ALL FOR IT.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:47 pm

memphis mike as Audience Aggressor.

Turbo negro fans ain't allowed to do shit.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:10 pm

i'm gonna get blown offstage??? i didn't know oral favors were part of the deal. yay.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 11:25 pm

That song has a Rennaisance Faire feel.

Funny! I'm POSITIVE the phrase "Renaissaince Faire" came out of my mouth the first time I heard it. Along with some other things, but whatever. The other two tracks are really good. I think they may be taking the piss with that one, too, but I'm still no less confused.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 12:20 am

"i'm gonna get blown offstage??? i didn't know oral favors were part of the deal. yay."

that was some funny shit.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 3:57 am

thing with the time fly s is that its nothing to hate OR love yet. they got a pretty cool shtick in fact, but not the songs. everytime i hear a songg of them i wish theyfd stick t o that 1 good part and not.......and then theyre already in the middle of omething shitty. i mean whatever they'r after be it grim clone or the gizmos or whatever, let them figure it out and next year theyr'e gonnnma get it and put out a killer lp. penis over
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:00 am

ohh this is the time of day i like to spend drunk, yes. just don't mind my spelling.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 7:44 am

Colby is in the biz. HA!

I am trying to destroy it from the inside....
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 2:22 pm

Penis is a dumb pecker.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 2:26 pm

I haven't gotten around to flipping the 45 yet. I'll check out the fair today.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 3:01 pm

Make sure you prepare a hearty cup of mead. Forsooth.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 3:44 pm

ENERGY > Makes me move!

If you don't like that song your a stupid motherfucker.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:40 pm

<All promos are free Dirk.>

like free beers on the house.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:42 pm

Exactly.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:47 pm

Shut up you gay fags.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:49 pm

I sir, am a straight fag!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:06 pm

this record still sounds stupid to me. i hate keyboards unless it's monk or something. i'm gonna check out the hipshakes.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:19 pm

Hipshakes will make you young again.

Yeah, the record sounds stupid on paper, but great in headphones or in the kitchen.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®