Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Black Lips 2 page photo in new Spin...
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 7:36 pm | Edited by: LisaLisa

Ian's pearly gold's and bloody guitar...on about page 10 and 11 from the Dec 9th show.

discuss...
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 7:39 pm

are they sell outs now?
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 7:51 pm

The gay one gets the most pussy.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 7:57 pm

That's what I'm saying...by snob standards they have infringed on White Stripes territory.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 7:59 pm

what did i tell you fags???
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:04 pm

Not to squeeze your balls too tight and to cut our nails???
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:04 pm

what did i tell you fags???

Only if they start to suck as a result of a record deal, which I'm betting sixteene's record collection on that they won't.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:06 pm

anyone got a link to the pic?
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:09 pm

don't know if it will be online cuz it's not an article or anything.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:12 pm

sorry guys, i think theyve already ventured into hipster circles. i have a gauge that i use with this guy i know.

i periodically ask him, 'so...what bands are you into'. when he tells me, that's the time i move on. recently he said 'the Black Lips, Reigning Sound and the Dirtbombs'. not that i hate those bands, but you get my point.

and this guy is a fringe Vice Magazine, Spin, Rolling Stone Mag Pitchfork reader.

he's the same guy that asked me if i'd heard of the White Stripes months after Elefant was released.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:12 pm

Do people actually care about the "selling out" angle? If they keep putting out great records and doing great live shows and all that, who fucking cares? They'll never reach the level of the White Stripes, who were never an elite underground band, anyway. Unless Cole shaves the caterpillar.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:14 pm

Do people actually care about the "selling out" angle?

people on this board do....
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:16 pm

all i care about is whether the records are good. who cares if spin mag likes them?
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:16 pm

Scrod, "selling out" = making music that's easier for assholes to get into via unchallenging songs with slick production. In which case, yeah, I care. My stance is that they will get offers to start sucking but they won't accept them.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:17 pm

Truthfully, I'm THRILLED that they're in Spin. They got a killer LP on a killer label that's not even a half year old and it only does them all good right now.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:19 pm

That's what "selling out" really is, but no one actually means THAT. They just mean signing to a major, showing up in commercials, Rolling Stone 4 star reviews, etc., which is meaningless in terms of the band actually sucking. The trapping surrounding such attention can lead to suckage, and reaching that media usually means there are already concesssions, but yeah. I think there's also a mistaken view that a picture in Rolling Stone or a review in Spin actually equals sales or people packing shows.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:21 pm

uh, todd, ghetto ways got 4 stars in rolling stone, um, FRANCE.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:21 pm

And look where that got you!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:22 pm

Obviously we get the "sucking" vs. "not sucking" argument but there have been several threads on this board lately about Spin magazine and "legitimacy" AND the thread about who will "make it" that's why I think it's pretty timely and awesome...
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:23 pm

I'm very happy that the band I consider the best live thing going is getting a Spin feature. I can't even think of the last time this has happened. Good for them.

My best friend took that. Show some 'spect.

Look out for us double-teaming NY coming this spring. Cheese!

i'm with tricknee
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:24 pm

im all for what the Black Lips have accomplished. theyre on the road constantly and theyve earned everything. hard work and persistance will only further your career. they've sold 4,000 records on their new record and they have the luxury of touring and not working at a coffee shop. that's great. if they jump from ITR to a biger label, then thats great too.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:25 pm

on a side note....adam from vice is a really nice fucking dude. he came down to henderson and took us out for bbq!

Well dumb fuck Mitch thinks something most of us have never even thought cuz he's wants to believe that we're really fucking petty.

Oh, and I think Spin prolly used it just as much for the fact that it is a sweet photo than anything to do with Black Lips (altho that's obviously part of it). I've been to the offices and met the publisher. They don't know dick about music. No suprise there tho.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:26 pm

Well dumb fuck Mitch thinks something most of us have never even thought cuz he's wants to believe that we're really fucking petty.

sorry B.Joe....i dont think that at all.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:28 pm

the oblivians live in atlanta got reviewed in spin years ago...i think it was listed as one of the top 10 albums you didn't hear or something like that.....
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:29 pm

sorry guys, i think theyve already ventured into hipster circles.

Who cares if "hipsters" (whatever the fuck that means) likes 'em? I hope everybody does.

Do people actually care about the "selling out" angle?

people on this board do....

?????
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:30 pm

man, i would love to come into my highschool and see kids with black lips t-shirts!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:31 pm

actually, i have a black lips sticker on the purse that i carry most days.....i've had so many kids question me about it.......
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:38 pm | Edited by: Jasper de Wilde

"selling out" sucks!
For example: when I went to a White Stripes gig before they won an MTV-award I payed 5 euros door fee, they played in a cosy club you might have heard of (Vera, 500 ppl) and I had no trouble getting their limited singles.
After they had won the most overrated award in pop-history I had to pay tickets in advance for 20 euros, they played in the hideous Paradiso (1300 ppl) and their music started to suck.
Last year, tix were 35 euros, they played the most shitty hall in Holland (Heineken Music Hall, 6000 ppl) and if anyone catches me buying another Jack White product, PLEASE SHOOT ME!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:38 pm

The Oblivians thing had to do with Byron Coley, still the only major writer who pushes truly great and "edgy" current shit (like the Hunches, A-Frames, etc., and no, Fricke doesn't count).
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:40 pm

black lips sold out when they bought a tuner
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:40 pm

yeah, i saw white stripes in 2001 and it was only $7 and it was at a bar that holds less than 200 people........that's my one complaint about bands getting popular.....they end up charging an arm and a leg for their shows!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:41 pm

and their music started to suck.

This isn't something poeple like us make up to justify hating a band cuz everybody likes 'em. Bands really do start to suck when they get money! The pressure from the label makes 'em make crap for everybody! It ain't like the label says, keep making the same fucked up music you always have and we'll put it in Johnny Faggot America's hands and he'll eat it up. They Blac k Lips would feel like total douchebags if Sony told 'em they were no longer allowed to utilize the GUITAR DIVEBOMB. HAHA!!!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:42 pm

...and you're too far away and nobody's dancing.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:42 pm

...and you're too far away and nobody's dancing.

totally!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:43 pm

And look where that got you!

look where it got me? dude! where is it supposed to get a band? a BAND gets BAND somewhere and the Black Lips have been shuttling their asses all over the planet making it happen for themselves.

but i will say for the ghetto ways that RS review did make me blink three times and smile real wide.

BLACK LIPS, keep truckin' on. REIGNING SOUND, keep truckin' on. DIRTBOMBS, keep truckin' on. IN THE RED, keep truckin' on.

ain't no time to hate, as my dad would say, quoting Jerry Garcia.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:44 pm

i love the Ghetto Ways.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:45 pm

who in their right mind is gonna complain about someone giving them a good review?
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:45 pm

With some exceptions my entire record collection is the first two albums by any given band or artist. When people are hungry they make better music. Pretty cool about the spread though.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:51 pm

Weren't they always kind of trendy?
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:53 pm

When people are hungry they make better music

ain't that the truth...
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:54 pm

i think there is less of a chance they start to suck than they become a fashion accessory for people who suck. which in turn, might cause then to start to suck
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:02 pm

< i have a gauge that i use with this guy i know. i periodically ask him, 'so...what bands are you into'. when he tells me, that's the time i move on.>

<i love the Ghetto Ways.>

sorry jenna.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:08 pm

It sucks when a band you like gets too popular, but isn't sort of pretentious to only like bands that are so obscure that you can keep them all to yourself? There's good bands in ALMOST every genre. I just like what i like, and fuck everybody else's opinion. I don't dislike the White Stripes because they are popular with people I hate. I dislike them because their newer music doesn't really interest me.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:13 pm

< i have a gauge that i use with this guy i know. i periodically ask him, 'so...what bands are you into'. when he tells me, that's the time i move on.>

<i love the Ghetto Ways.>

sorry jenna

dude....get a life
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:15 pm | Edited by: Jasper de Wilde

Why are White Stripes' tix 7 times more expensive now when the halls they play in can contain 7x more people? Because the expenses are higher? I can't believe that shit!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:26 pm

Why are White Stripes' tix 7 times more expensive now when the halls they play in can contain 7x more people? Because the expenses are higher? I can't believe that shit!

probably because their 'guarantee' exceeds $100,000 is my wild guess.

the Flaming Lips charge $75,000 a performance, and the White Stripes are just as big if not bigger of a band/draw
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:31 pm

am I your public punching bag, dirk? be nice. stop it. i am a very good rock cheerleader.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:34 pm

dirk loves trolling the board and calling everyone a 'faggot'. he thinks its punk rock.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:40 pm

dirk loves trolling the board and calling everyone a 'faggot'. he thinks its punk rock.

Punk: A social and musical movement rooted in rebelling against the established order.

Maybe he thinks the Goner board is becoming established order? Is he right and maybe "the Real Punk" amongst us?
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:40 pm

i was making fun of cumstain. i zinged him.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:42 pm

i zinged him.

right chief
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:58 pm

The concept of selling out is subjective. As far as the Reigning Sound... I'm not on a major label. I don't make a lot of money. I still do most of my own booking and never ask for more than I know I can make. I think our records are good. Maybe you like'em, maybe not. But I would never knowingly sell something my heart was not in. Your guage only shows what has filtered through to the mass consciousness in the form of a footnote. Band names that will be forgotten to mass culture in a matter of months or even days. Who cares? Not me. I'm too busy having fun. Once you've been around for a while people are gonna start talking. It doesn't make you a sell out, it just makes you old news. Now, THAT, I will plead guilty to all day long! But hey, OLD is the NEW YOUNG fuckers! It's people like the folks that haunt this board who generate the initial hubub that leaves Spin writers and the like scratching their heads, wondering what they missed. Rushing out to get a small blurb and photo of The _____ so they don't look like they don't know whats going on. I've still never seen the Black Lips. But I like their records. Hope the next one is good.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 10:01 pm

Hope the next one is good.

It's gonna fucking rule.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 10:51 pm

I've still never seen the Black Lips.

Damn. How is that possible.

I've been busy working at work today, so I missed this whole thread. A pal just called to tell me BL had a 2-page spread in SPIN!! Of course, I thought it was wonderful and immediately asked if the article was good.

He said it was only a little paragraph on a huge photo. I was bummed, but now I think it adds mystery. MAYBE, someone will actually go find out about the BL's!?!? [Insert ALL the pros & cons from the whole Slsk thread here].
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 11:52 pm

i ain't never seen 'em either...but i got their rekkords and i like them. i'm in an isolated place and i rely on this board and a few other places to find music.
i heard about them through here. i plan on seeing them when they come through. i don't care what spin or rolling stone has to say, i know this is thebest place for me to get what i want.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 2:27 am

Imagine you're itchy from firecrackers being set off inside. Now pour a big cup of liquor and urine over your head. That's what it's like.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 2:35 am

You forgot to mention the bombardment of perfectly played wrong notes.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 2:42 am

you left your fireworks at my house.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 2:46 am

If selling out means the world can see cole piss in his mouth on MTV, so be it. I'd actually watch TV for once.

Oh and Swilly, I want an ipod. Can you get one for me with your "sell out paycheck"?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 2:56 am

The Black Lips (should come for the first time) and Reigning Sound (should come back)....... and play Pittsburgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:04 am

all of you are secretly saying to yourself "this is great because now I can say I was way into the Black Lips before anyone else." that's all it means.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:29 am

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:55 am | Edited by: mikemack

Got a little fried after work and now I've got Let It Bloom on - god damn it sounds so fucking great, what a record
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:10 am

and no, Fricke doesn't count).

thank you.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:10 am

Wow, Jared, not only is the MOST I've ever seen you post, it's the best shit I've read, well, since, Jack Stands werz bitchin-bout PEanuts. Uh-oh, Dirk is gonna call you gay now. I know how that will upset you.

And I want a Segway and a designated driver, please.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:11 am

all of you are secretly saying to yourself "this is great because now I can say I was way into the Black Lips before anyone else." that's all it means.

and thank you too.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:21 am

blow me.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:29 am

hey, what the hell? the black lips are one of the best bands around. its refreshing to see spin cover something thats actually worth a shit. as long as the next record has "katrina" on it, i don't care if the rest is fucking morrisey covers. congrats to the black lips!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:27 am

didn't we already have this thread?
just worry about yourselves. we sell ourselves out every day.
let the black lips do what they want to do. if they want to be in spin magazine, that's thier perogative.

unless you're in the black lips quit trying to decide what they should do.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:47 am

Many years ago, I bought Spin's Alternative Record Guide. The first band listed was ABBA!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:53 am

you guys are fucking idiots. The fan boys complaining that is ... The balck lips are so far rom being mainstream that a spin magazine picture doesnt mean you will lose your little garage purist dream band anytime soon. I remeber when you fucks wanted to talk shit about tthe ponys for being in spin/ rolling stone. And fuck what did that lead to but 10.000 copies sold and a bunch of hipster goner assholes complaining.??? Leave these kids alone and move on music is fucking music !! Im so sick of all you fucking scence dicks that think you fucking matter . If you wanna jump in a van a sacrafice your life for years for no pay and shitty food/floors to sleep on for no pay off then maybe you can say something but till then shut the fuck up record fucking geeks!!!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:41 am

are you talking to me? because i am not complaining and don't give a flying fuck if the black lips are in SPIN or not - to me, the real record fucking geeks are the ones who release your records in ultra-limited quantities so that only a few little garage purist boys are able to enjoy your music -
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:43 am | Edited by: Mark Beef

I've sacrificed my shitass life for garbage rock and roll for too long...where do I sign for the money and applause?

I will even give you a handjob
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:50 am

but i see your point - it's all about trying to be a hipster - look at all that myspace shit - i am cooler than you are - i should not like bands that sell too many records - i wanna be special - blablabla...
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:12 am

the real record fucking geeks are the ones who release your records in ultra-limited quantities so that only a few little garage purist boys are able to enjoy your music -

i think it's really cool how shattered hasn't done that.......once it sells out they seem to repress!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:19 am

I'm sure Luke's post was NOT aimed at Shattered.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:25 am

it is aimed at P-Trash, SSLD & all the other scum collector labels who release jay's musical outings in super-limited qualities and only serve the real record geeks - in a previous post, i mentioned how i like labels like shattered who keep on re-releasing OOP records
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:28 am

I heard the piss- and other stories before I even heard their music.
I hate it when bands are compared to one another but to me there were a lot greater albums/7" in 2005 that didn't get the attention the Black Lips output got.

Anyway I went to see the Black Lips (because of the hyping here and everywhere) and just didn't like them.
So I already hated the Black Lips before y'all started hating them : makes me the real punk.

I should have bought some Black Lips 7"es though : In a few months they'll be worth $$$$
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:31 am

SSLD surely presses more than they sell! they are the fuckers selling 7" 1/50 for $60 on ebay when they are gone!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:43 am

the first time i saw the black lips they were downright boring : a sloppy rehearsal - the second and third times they were simply amazing : party wreck-'n-roll of the highest order!!

the only reason why i can understand people hating to see the black lips in SPIN is that the band will attract more people to their shows which means much less space on the dancefloor to freak out and many more staring geeks who are proud they still have a connection with the "underground scene" but become very upset when you spill beer on their jacket...
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:47 am | Edited by: DevilDog

If music sounds good to me, I like it. Who gives a shit about ANYthing else?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:49 am

If music sounds good to me, I like it.

punk rock 'n roll sounds good in a small club, not in a hall
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 10:07 am

You somewhat missed my point but that's not all that uncommon for me.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 10:33 am

i've never seen the black lips when it wasn't packed! when i first saw them 3 years ago people were already going crazy! i've probably seen them at least 20 times and i've had a great time at every show.......even though cole did pee on my leather jacket once and i got a fire cracker in the eye one night......they're one of my favorite bands.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 10:44 am

I'm still at work for 3 more hours, what's your excuse for being awake? The library sure ain't open.

20 times? That's groupie territory unless you're in the band.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 11:18 am

i've never seen the black lips, don't think they've ever played ottawa. they are touring western canada with the dirtbombs, so they can get get in the country........and i hope they get filthy, stinking rich!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:32 pm

So I already hated the Black Lips before y'all started hating them : makes me the real punk.

I don't think anybody here hates them and all it makes you is the possesor of questionable taste.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:39 pm

The only reason I don't like good bands getting big is because it tends to make their shows more expensive. The first time I saw the Ponys it cost $2 att a loft in Montreal. The next time was $7. Then they came back a few months later and cover was $14. The real question is - does this make me a cheapass jew not wanting to pay more than about $8 to see my favorite bands?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:02 pm

I don't think anybody here hates them and all it makes you is the possesor of questionable taste.

Hey ho, I know you and a lot of people love' em. I'm sure the Black Lips can cope with a little hate. I'd rather talk about the music I love, but I don't like sacred cows so...

Anyway, all tastes are questionable!!!!!!! Remember dissin' Turbonegro?? We agreed on how much they sucked BJ, well some of my friends are Turbojugends even if they love the Black Lips (f.i.) as well. Makes their taste questionable to ME.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:08 pm

but I don't like sacred cows so...

You don't like the Sacred Cows? I knew thewre was something wrongwith you:

http://www.ilovegetsmart.com/cows.html

Thrill, thrill, thrill
Kill, kill, kill
Make a scene
Knock off a dean
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
Bump off a square
That's what it's about
Hate is in
Love is out
Kill, kill, kill
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:19 pm

have to admit those lyrics are great
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:35 pm

hey joe - by the way, here are those lyrics of a song called "bazooka joe" by belgium's finest TC MATIC :

It sings by night
It's changing all the time
It's a piece of work
That will last for the rest
Of my life
Hard as a bone
Smelling like toilets' soap
Build for speed
That's what Joe needs

Bazooka Joe
I'm calling you

It makes someone laugh
It makes someone cry
It makes Jelly but
Not for Liza Minelli

Bazooka Joe
I'm calling you

http://www.hintjens.be/index2.php?index=22&id=124&taal=engels
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:38 pm

I saw JJswill play his sisters wedding.... beat that!!
Good for them! I hope they get everything and more... but never forget about their friends. :)
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:39 pm

NOLA rules, everyone should move here.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:51 pm

I saw JJswill play his sisters wedding.... beat that!!

oh.....you're so special. who gives a fuck.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:51 pm

i do!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:52 pm

i dont.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:53 pm

now.....if it were the Rat Traps, that wouldve been cooler, dont ya think?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 6:56 pm

if what was rat traps? i'm confused on what you're asking.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:05 pm

Man having a band sell out is awesome. All their old shit you have suddenly becomes worth something. The basketball spreads have been tough to beat this season, and i need some stuff to sell on ebay before my legs get broken. Not to mention you also become a bar hero when you can tell people, "I got high with the black lips, then we went and hired some whores and did cocaine off their asses". Noone cares if it's true or not, because you've been wearing that t-shirt for years. That's why it's always important to have as many band t-shirts as possible, that way you can look cool whenever said band gets popular.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:06 pm

"I got high with the black lips,

Yeah, right. It's always, "I got the Black Lips high, those fucking poor bums."
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:08 pm

I like that post. I'm going back to bed on that one and snuggle up with my Ramones shirt. When they hit it huge, I'll show you guys.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:09 pm

Another 'slapper from DevilDouche.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:16 pm

I'm not Devil Driver.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:17 pm

This thread has sold out.....too many people posting......
I can't be seen hanging out here.
I'm going over to the Food & Drink "Best breads and where to get them" thread.......where the REAL stuff is
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm going over to the Food & Drink "Best breads and where to get them" thread.......where the REAL stuff is

Have fun with your Red Lobster cheesy rolls. Sick.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:30 pm

Damn, I'd change my name! Sorry!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:05 am

all i will say is this- they went from playing slabtown- which was one of portland's bitchinest venues, to playing dantes( next time they roll through) which is one of portlands lamest venues.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 11:25 am

"sometimes i get high, ya know"
quote from a black lips interview my friend did a couple of years ago.

Spin, Pitchfork, RS, etc. suck cuz they dont cover good bands. once they do, everyone hates on the band instead of giving props to the mag for covering good shit.

most of the people who ive played the new black lips album like it alot despite their non-goner tastes which shows what a great band they are. not surprised at all that theyre getting attention outside this tiny circle we're in. one of the best bands in the world and its time more people realize that.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 6:38 pm | Edited by: Bob Seger

i just picked up the Spin yesterday, I think it's cool as fuck some kid in the middle of nowhere might read that little blurb about the Black Lips and decide to hunt down their record.

FUCK ALL YOU HIPSTER FUCKS FOR HATING ON A GOOD BANDS SUCSESS, you need to get a life. GROW UP!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 6:44 pm

I think it's cool as fuck some kid in the middle of nowhere might read that little blurb about the Black Lips and decide to hunt down their record

i totally agree. maybe it's cuz i grew up in a shit town in the middle of nowhere before the internet. the only way i usually found out about good bands is when sassy or whatever non-punk rock mag that was available in my town would cover a rad band.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 6:56 pm

I grew up pre-internet in the middle of nowhere, too, and I freely admit that Andrea and Byron's early "Underground" columns in Spin linked me up with tons of zines and records. Where else was I gonna hear about the Tall Dwarfs? Ask a deer?
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 7:37 pm

thrasher and flipside turned me on to bands.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Dude! I got a job, an apartment, take showers and do laundry. I don't have to bum spare change on the street with my Ass-Flap and my dog to get drunk anymore. Guess I'm a sellout...
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:58 pm

I love it when this happens. whudda buncha dickbags! so you base your musical taste on whether or not other people have heard of them or not?
were the ramones and the stones sellouts?

I'm still getting a black lips tattoo across my forehead
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:04 pm

I'm still getting a black lips tattoo across my forehead

ok, so they're not that great, but I agree with the bandit
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:06 pm

Who here called them sellouts anyway? Did anybody? Or is everybody too concerned with makign sure they didn't call 'em sell outs? I think there might be a bunch of paranoid dickfaces around here.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:11 pm

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:14 pm

Killer pick! What does it say in the box?
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:15 pm

if you view it at the larger size you can barely read it
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:27 pm

that is a bitchin picture.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:31 pm

that is a bitchin picture.

INDEED!!! Thanks for sharing...I've been too busy to even think about what I'm supposed to be doing....yet alone go find the magazine!! Many thanks for sharing! XO!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:31 pm | Edited by: Bob Seger

Who here called them sellouts anyway? Did anybody? Or is everybody too concerned with makign sure they didn't call 'em sell outs? I think there might be a bunch of paranoid dickfaces around here.

nobody came out and said it directly, but there sure is alot of White Stripes comparisons already a-brewin'! I can just see how alot of people on this board will talk about them if they wind up playing Conan & Leno and signing to Geffen.

samples:

are they sell outs now?

That's what I'm saying...by snob standards they have infringed on White Stripes territory.

sorry guys, i think theyve already ventured into hipster circles. i have a gauge that i use with this guy i know.

i periodically ask him, 'so...what bands are you into'. when he tells me, that's the time i move on. recently he said 'the Black Lips, Reigning Sound and the Dirtbombs'. not that i hate those bands, but you get my point.

"selling out" sucks!
For example: when I went to a White Stripes gig before they won an MTV-award I payed 5 euros door fee, they played in a cosy club you might have heard of (Vera, 500 ppl) and I had no trouble getting their limited singles.

yeah, i saw white stripes in 2001 and it was only $7 and it was at a bar that holds less than 200 people........that's my one complaint about bands getting popular.....they end up charging an arm and a leg for their shows!

Bands really do start to suck when they get money!

Weren't they always kind of trendy?

i think there is less of a chance they start to suck than they become a fashion accessory for people who suck. which in turn, might cause then to start to suck

It sucks when a band you like gets too popular
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:33 pm

I've still never seen the Black Lips. But I like their records. Hope the next one is good.
I saw them live once at the Dunes in Portland a couple of years ago and thought they were pretty good, but nothing that had me raving about them the day afterwards. Subsequently, I've never bothered to listen to any of their records. On the basis of the praise on this board it sounds like I will finally have to break down and give them a proper listen.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:33 pm

Oh yeah. Dumb fuckin' Mitch. Figures.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:34 pm

I will finally have to break down and give them a proper listen.

"Proper" listen means booze and drugs before and during. Don't fuck this up dude!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:34 pm

HAHA! he ruined your theory!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:35 pm

why so hostile Bazooka?

the 'gold teeth' Spin picture reminds me of a Just Ice cover on Sleeping Bag Records
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:37 pm

I'm just fuckin' with you cuz I love you and I want to give you noogies.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:40 pm

I'm just fuckin' with you cuz I love you and I want to give you noogies.

love you too joe!......keep up the good record spinnin'
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:41 pm

What? Fuck you.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:43 pm

joe, i think you came dangerously close to hurting mitch's feelers. that's not very nice!

back to the subject though: EXCELLENT picture & the black lips fucking rule.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:44 pm

I'm sowwy, Cumstain! You can come over and get high anytime you want.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:45 pm

The Black Lips will never be as good as ISANE CLOWN POSSE...Man I hope they tour together!

Man Titties! Man Titties!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:48 pm

Oh yeah. Dumb fuckin' Mitch. Figures
isn't this the same guy who is always crying about people calling the stripes sellouts just because they are on a major label?
(when in reality they don't like them anymore because that last album was FUCKING TERRIBLE)
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:49 pm

Man Titties! Man Titties!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:56 pm

I'm sowwy, Cumstain! You can come over and get high anytime you want

cool. i gots somes Humbolt
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:58 pm

I might have something to sprinkle on it.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:59 pm

meet me on the corner of Forsyth and Broome
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:00 pm

Its official, The Black Lips are now a "psychedelic harcore band".

What?
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:01 pm

Flower Punk.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:08 pm

Me and DevilDog are trying to get the ICP/BL tour to happen.

we're gonna tounge rasstle too.

DevilDog I want your man titties

Urine Rock.

mustache rock (or did he shave?)
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:25 pm

Flower Punk

because I'm as gay as they get, I tried this as a gmail account too -- and it was gone. I think that's a VERY appropriate phrase and somehwat suited only for the BL.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:26 pm

Urine Rock.

I think that's a VERY appropriate phrase and somehwat suited only for the BL.

Oh and that too.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:40 pm

<cool. i gots somes Humbolt>

yeah cumstain lots of that in "florida". busted.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:54 pm

<cool. i gots somes Humbolt>

yeah cumstain lots of that in "florida". busted.

it's a fuckin joke dipshit. you're busted.

humbolt is the most obvious weed to reference

and what is this 'busted' bullshit
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 12:22 am

just out of curiosity..i haven't read each and every entry in this entire thread...but all you guys saying "fuck you for calling them sellouts!!", who exactly are you talking too?
i don't think there's one post on here accusing them of selling out. What are you yelling about?
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 1:04 am

i haven't read each and every entry in this entire thread

then how would you know retard?
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 1:41 am

maybe i should've said i don't SEE one post accusing them...
i don't have the patience to sit here and read a million posts...i was asking a fucking question asshole. who said they were sellouts?
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 2:23 am

MAN! YOUR IN SPIN! That automaltivcakllt]y makes you GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jared IS A PUFF!
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 2:24 am

Black Lips are PONCES!
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 2:24 am

Cole is somek,mkind of gaygfagot
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 2:25 am

and stuff
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 10:21 pm

sTUCK IN MY MIND:
Like every other good band, I think their 3rd album ain't as good as their first two albums, you might disagree, but I don't care. A classic problem. However, I do like those songs on that album played live.
The Black Lips will always be the #1 band of the early 00's for me.
If it was only for the fun we had at the SHOWS, the afterparties and after-after-parties in Europe. I will see them at least 7 times this summer and I'm sure I will have the time of my life. And I think it 'll probably be that way in the next couple of years. No "Goner-band" has become famous till now (I don't count the WS) and I don't think it'll happen to the Black Lips this time. They're just to punk for that! Although I do think they'd earn that fame, the Black Lips are (without any doubt) the best gagagepunk band at the moment and they do earn the money any other band is getting for their louzy clips on MTV! I'm gonna see them at the VPRO radio show, I'm gonna get the tix for that show and you'll be able to see that on-line! Next day in Rotterdam with the Mistreaters! Than we gonna move down to Nijlen in Belgium (Sam's gig!), they play with teh amazing Bastouns! The day upon we're gonna go to Paris (Louie, Louie!) and party again with the B.L. and every person of Paris I've met so far on the net and evry live show I've been. It's gona be wonderful!!!!!!!!! Even if we arrive a few hours in front of a show those guys will invite us in and share their beers with us, ARRANGE SOME PLACE TO SLEEP AND BE OUR MATES THRU OUT THE NIGHT, that's what they're like and that'll never change!!!
And then on the way bck I'm gonna see the Mistreaters again In Eindhoven (Atstadt)! Aand the next day the Intelligence in Paradiso in Amsterdamm!
And at the end of May they're (Black Lips)gonna go back to Holland again and it's gonna start allover.
Now taht I'm writing this Let It Bloom is growing on me again (im on druugs), but it will never be as good as the first two albums, but then agin, I mightr be wrong. All I'm saying is, fun time is coming up with the Black Lips coming this way!!! As ere the Fe Fi Fo Fums, Digger & the Pussycats, Fredovitch One Man Band, Wild Bud, Clorox Girls, Hero X, Holly GolIghtly, Natural Kickjs, Blacjk Time, Magnetix, the Staggers, Motorama, Los Chicos and Knightrs of the new Crusade!
Right now, I definetely don't know what point i was trying to make, but I sujre look foreward to those gigs!!!
Sllout, gay, black or homeless, I don't care, we'll have the time of our live!!!That is if I got to cross the borderswith all the shi..
Black Lips will always be the best band of the first decade of the new centurY!!! BlAcK LiPs, bLAcK LiPs, Black Lips, BL acK LipS, black lIPS, black lIPS!!!!
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 10:21 pm

cHRIST, i'M HIGH!!!
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 10:26 pm

THIS WEEK SUCKS, THE NEXT WEEK WILL TOO. THEN I'LL HAVE ABOUT 3-4 SHOWS EACH WEEK TIL JUNE, THAt'll bring me back to normal behaviur, I hope.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 10:33 pm

Hmm...uuummm, Jasper, is it 2am in the Netherlands right now??
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 11:21 pm

No, just midnight.
I've been watching the olympic games (women speed skating) in the pub.
Stayed there for 8 hours in total, drinkin' beer all the time.
A friend of mine (truckdriver) just came back from a trip to Spain and shared his last coke with me, which probably explains my bla-bla.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 11:22 pm

Is there gonna be a gonerfest this year? we (me and my friends) really wanna go to Memphis this year.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 11:29 pm

we'll party.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 11:41 pm

i bet we will, you're most likely more fun in real than on this board
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 11:46 pm

I think their 3rd album ain't as good as their first two albums

Whatever you're high on must be pretty low quality. Let It Bloom is ridiculously good. Boomerang is genius. And the fidelity is scorching. And their is definately a lot more thought put into the actual song construction in this record. Are you sure you listened to it? I'm pretty sure this transcends opinion.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 12:02 am

I'm sorry, I'd really like to love "Let It Bloom" as much as the first albums.
Don't matter how hard I try, it just don't work for me. 6 really good songs, 10 mediocre songs. maybe they have to grow on me, but if they do they sure need a long time. I heard most of the songs live and they were good then, but on record they don't sound that good to me.
My fault, sorry....
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 12:04 am | Edited by: Jasper de Wilde

btw. high on beer, sleep and cocaine, all runnin' around in my brain
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 12:05 am

I like that picture in Spin tho!
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 4:25 am

dirty HANDS!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 9:46 am

Let it Bloom is easily their best album. The other two are both good and have some really great songs, but they also have a bunch of filler. Let it Bloom is all classics.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 1:04 pm

Black Lips will always be the best band

I forgot about the Fatals last night!
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 3:43 pm

they also have a bunch of filler.

I can't find any filler. You just gotta be really really high.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 4:58 am

I talked to the Black Lips about that photo, and they said they had no idea that it was going to be in SPIN until after the magazine was published. I've seen the asshole that took the picture at shows around New York, and what people have to realize that the Black Lips didn't sell out, the douchebag that took the photo SOLD THEM out.
I've talked to him a couple times, and every time he's been so drunk he never recognizes me, and interrupts to find out if I have drugs.
Now he puts one of my favorite underground bands into a shitty mainstream magazine for his own profit.
Last time I saw him at the Cake Shop he was so drunk he needed help getting up the stairs.
Fuck him and Fuck Spin.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 8:00 am

them Black Lips guys is real cool...and put out a good show, K-z00 loved em... and i think there comin back...K-zoo used ta be prime place for that "emo" bullshit.. now it has become a little fun stop for bands,,!! and i hope it never dies. Putting it simply.. we dont care anymore. we just wanna have good time like the rest of you.. and to all the bands that "we" bugged in the past few yrs..well i hope you folks can come around and play a show. Cuz ive tried to get a hold of a few of em myself..im doin it DIY style..any way..come on thru.. it'll be a good time. Free places to stay!!!!
theres tons of bands we'd like to see still..!!!
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 1:25 pm

the douchebag that took the photo SOLD THEM out.

i've only met him twice, but i think keith is alright. of course, i've never had to help him up the stairs... he has taken some pretty good photos of some pretty good bands over the years.

...and every time he's been so drunk he never recognizes me, and interrupts to find out if I have drugs.

this could be a LOT of people i know. i don't even want to start a list.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 3:23 pm

the douchebag that took the photo SOLD THEM out.

oh darn, ruined there "good name?"
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 4:08 pm

what people have to realize that the Black Lips didn't sell out, the douchebag that took the photo SOLD THEM out.

Oh well, they should should sue him for unwanted media-exposure, geez.

And who are you "come on" : somebody we know?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:56 pm

Thanks to this thread and the tiny Flickr pic I had to go out and buy my first Spin in easily 10+ years. I believe the first partial head at top to the right of the seam is Eric Davidson of the New Bomb Turks. The next one over is me. That was a fun show -- I guess Spin rejected the watersports pics. If the guy who shot this has long hair, shaved on the sides, I specifically recall Eric telling me what a great photographer he is.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:59 pm

yeah, keith marlowe. and hot to boot!
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 7:48 pm

I love the looks on the faces of all the people in the front row in that pic!

A friend of mine who saw them play somewhere in Orange County was telling me about Cole spewing piss all over these pansy ass O.C. girls who went screaming and crying all the way home. Ha!
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 7:50 pm

dirk still hasnt figured out how to quote properly. kick him off.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 8:15 pm

i'm not entirely sure how the contract ended up, but word around town was that vice is going to be doing the cds and the vinyl will be on die slaughterhaus. those kids have been busting their balls for a long time so i say congrats to any opportunity they have to get a bit more success. i don't think we'd really be scratching our heads about this if vice had ever before seemed capable of releasing a record that wasn't completely deplorable. the black lips aren't going to stop kickng ass just because they're on a shitty label with alot of money.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 8:19 pm

Does Vice as a label have a lot of money? Oh man, I can't imagine they'll do a better job than ITR and I'm pretty sure Vice wants 'em for the wrong reasons. They never even had an article on them in the magazine before!
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 9:14 pm

The first Streets record (UK white rapper) on Vice sold over a million worldwide. I'd say they have money.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 9:21 pm

That's the problem though. They have so much of a rep as a hip hop label that their audience will ignore it I bet. Or at least it will make it harder for others to find.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 9:24 pm

They're more than 50% rock acts: http://www.vice-recordings.com/artists.html
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 9:26 pm

Boredoms. Good company!

Damn.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 9:30 pm

at this point i could give a fuck about a band 'selling out' or 'buying in' or whatever they do. i'm not totally into the black lips but i defintely don't think they suck. for me i've come to expect bands to dabble in the black arts of big time music biz at some point in their tenure as underground hipster buzz band. i think a lot of bands that are on that level have an angenda to reap the benefits of the underground but really want to move on to bigger and better(?) things. but hey, if it keeps tem from having to walk dogs, wash dishes or check id's at a bar, then rock the fuck on, brocephus!
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 10:01 pm | Edited by: jblundell

damn. i have no idea what you're talking about with this VICE stuff, i thought SPIN was the mag they were in. black lips are switching to VICE?
don't know why i am saying this, but VICEmag has got to be the shittiest thiing going. i feel fuckin sick everytime i even see the thing. fuckin rich downtown tweps with highrent apartments snorting coke off eachothers dicks...dash snow...ryan mcginley...blaaaah. DFA sucks
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 10:20 pm

Black Lips good. Vice awful. Black Lips still good.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 10:32 pm

I just wonder what Vice's new-band-on-the-label artistic policy is? There's no way they'd fuck with the Boredoms, but what about them 'Lips? Can they just hand 'em their new shit and say, "This is it! Sell us some records!" Something about Vice as a label rubs me the wrong way. Am I paranoid or are they scum?
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 1:19 am

the full drama here!
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:00 am

That movie better get an Oscar nod on Sunday! It's fuckin' great.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:17 am

am i reading this correctly?

The Black Lips are signing with Vice?

i hope this is a joke.

i guess they could rename the band Death From Atlanta 1977
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:20 am

As long as they promote it right and take of these dudes...
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:21 am

i wonder how a picture got printed of them in spin without thier publicist knowing?
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®