Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / You're all closet Rush fans.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 5:27 pm

and I don't mean Limbaugh.

That's all for today.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 5:33 pm

I can't listen to either Rush, but I do enjoy the way they polarize. Much in the same way as Terry Jacks.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 5:54 pm

Closets are for clothes, not for people.

Rush rools.

tell yr mom.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 6:39 pm

When I hear a punk band that can utilise more than three chords and break outta the 4/4 box I'll have some respect for the genre. When I hear a punk band shred or exhibit some freakin' dynamics in their arrangements or shift time signatures within a track or fill 12 minutes with consistently interesting music then I'll listen again. Name me one punk band that can compose a 20-minute epic like Rush's 2112 or improvise their fucking asses off for 40 minutes and leave you breathless like Led Zeppelin did with Dazed and Confused in 1975.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 6:47 pm

worst "classic rock" band EVER!
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 7:05 pm

Fuck that - I hate Rush. Always have.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 2:51 am | Edited by: cococomas

Why wank off in a song for 12 minutes when everything that needs to be said can be said in 1.5 to 3 minutes....

And as for punk bands utilizing more than 3 chords & off-time signatures - have you ever heard the later Black Flag stuff?...it's almost like free jazz... or maybe (& this could "technically" be Post-Punk) Gang of Four or Mission of Burma....

and Led Zeppelin is not the same as Rush. Sorry. Not even close.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 2:57 am

a 20-minute epic like Rush's 2112 or improvise their fucking asses off for 40 minutes

If I believed in the concept of hell, you've just described what I imagine would be the music they'd play down there.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:09 am

"A libertarian is just a Republican who takes drugs."
I'll take the first Captain Beyond or Budgie any day of the week...altho. that Trailer Park Boys episode with RUSH was fairly classic.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:34 am

Skinned our hearts
And skinned our knees
Learned of Love
And ABCs.

Hell Yeah.
Bring it Geddy. You'll never evah top that.

Oh, and did I mention Link Wray played guitar on the track?
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:44 am

Oh, and did I mention Link Wray played guitar on the track?

that sounds like a mistake

RUSH was never and will never be good. period.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:46 am

Link Wray didn't play guitar on any Rush track. Please. The man is turning over and over in his leather coat just at the thought of that.

He played on Seasons in the Sun... Terry Jacks... Uptight White second comment down.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:51 am

Actually the inspiration for this lame thread came from an interview I found laying around with Jon Auer of the Posies. He mentioned learning all the rush songs when he was young, and then having to quickly unlearn them all when he discovered punk rock.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:29 am

good - that means he figured out that they sucked.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:54 am

By-Tor And The Snow Dog
by Rush

Tobes of Hades, lit by flickering torchlight
The netherworld is gathered in the glare
Prince By-Tor takes the cavern to the north light
The sign of Eth is rising in the air

By-Tor, knight of darkness
Centurion of evil, devil's prince

Across the River Styx, out of the lamplight
His nemesis is waiting at the gate
The Snow Dog, ermine glowing in the damp night
Coal-black eyes shimmering with hate

By-Tor and the Snow Dog
Square for battle, let the fray begin

The battle's over and the dust is clearing
Disciples of the Snow Dog sound the knell
Rejoicing echoes as the dawn is nearing
By-Tor, in defeat, retreats to Hell

Snow Dog is victorious
The land of the Overworld is saved again
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 5:06 am

good - that means he figured out that they sucked.

ya think?
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 5:13 am

Posted: Feb 21, 2006 5:16 am

when i was a kid, I thought the lead singer of RUSH was a girl. for real.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 5:18 am

as far as i know my sister is naming her child "geddy lee". i suggested "geddy leigh" if it's a girl.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 6:07 am

the only good thing rush ever did was have geddy lee sing on the bob & doug mckenzie record "take off (you hoser)"
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 6:34 am

I dig the shit out of the opening of "WorkingMan". Sounds tough as hell, I don't give a fuck. Classic rock, jammy part towards the end, whatever, but that riff is the shit.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 6:36 am

Rush was one of my first concerts. My big sister took me & two classmates, David and Eric. We were 11 and the whole arena smelled like burning rope. The drum solo made me really happy and/or excited. I got a T-Shirt.

David's big brother turned us onto Rush. He smelled like burning rope most of the time. Eric had EVERY Star Wars figure ever made.

I was 11.

The end.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 8:27 am

worst "classic rock" band EVER!
no...The Eagles are the worst. Early RUSH beats the living shit out of the fucking Eagles. Glen Fry, Don Henly...fuck those douchebags. I'll
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 8:29 am

.....post something else when im not so drunk..I mean , tired. yea Im tired n shit.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:51 pm

i fucking LOVED rush when i was 14
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 4:53 pm

I dig the Eagles.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 5:50 pm

i fucking LOVED rush when i was 13
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®