Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Henry Rollins: Terrorist Threat
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 12:35 am | Edited by: Sonicg

No, his ego wasn't cited as a WMD.

According to News.com.au, American punk rock icon and writer Henry Rollins was reported to the National Security hotline during his recent Australian tour because of a book he was reading on a flight to Brisbane.

A furious Rollins was informed he was "nominated as a possible threat" for reading "Jihad: The Rise of Militant Islam In Central Asia", writes Kathy McCabe.

The incident happened on a flight from Auckland on the recent Big Day Out tour.

Rollins told Australian fans during his tour that he received a letter from a "nice woman" who worked "in one of those government areas that deals with anti-terrorism matters."

He posted the letter on his web site.

"Please tell your Government and everyone in your office to go fuck themselves. Baghdad's safer than my hometown and your PM is a sissy," he wrote.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 1:01 am

he probably set the whole thing up..."look what i got caught doin.'" "i am the aging altrenative icon!""ahhh my throat muscle is completely shredded!!!"

how come sombody hasn't killed this H2o driving asshole yet?
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 1:07 am

Weird. The guy who wrote that book, Ahmed Rashid, also wrote Taliban: Militant Islam, Oil and Fundamentalism in Central Asia. And that book's being issued (along with body armor and other supplies) to soliders by the US Army in an effort to promote 'cultural awareness.' There was an article about it in the NY Times last week (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/16/nyregion/16fort.html?pagewanted=1&_ r=1).
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 1:25 am

i like it when he says how much he hates mike watt in "get in the van." he's a total douchebag in real life. so is mike watt. greg ginn is cool though. black flag rules!!!
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 1:53 am

dick cheney should take henry rolaids duck hunting
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 3:01 am

dick hunting.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 3:14 am

Henry's a jerk, Greg Ginn is a hippy and Mike Watt is one cool motherfucker.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 3:56 am

watt is a loudmouth and a bore. greg's a bit catatonic but he's the only genius of the three. plus he's a nice dude.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 7:25 am

rollins does USO shows, poses for photo opps w/ soldiers, autographs bombs the USA drops on iraqis... jeez, in bush/cheney eyes, he's a patriot.

rollins, ginn and watt are dude's dudes. i never saw the appeal in any of them.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 9:05 am

Actually something doesn't make sense. I checked Hank's website. Here's the original letter:
I hope this finds you before you leave Australia as I think its something that wont surprise you but might give you a smile when you are sitting in a hotel room. I work in one of those Government areas that deals with anti terrorism matters. A fine service is provided but unfortunately we get to read a lot of things submitted by lunatics. The Australian Government set up the National Security Hotline to report terrorists.
The person who sat next to you on the flight from New Zealand does not agree with your politics or choice of reading and so nominated you as a possible threat. As they were too cowardly or stupid to leave their details I cant call them to discuss their idiocy with them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------
So it wasn't an official letter and the lady is passing the item along and agrees that the guy is an idiot. So why does Rollins respond like this?
I was reading a book called Jihad by Ahmed Rashid which is a history of Central Asia. I didn't speak to the man next to me past how do you do. I think Ahmed Rashid is published by Yale University Press. Bush's alma mater. Please tell your government and everyone in your office to go fuck themselves. Tell them twice. If your boss is looking for something to do, you can tell him I suggest he go fuck himself. Baghdad's safer than my hometown and your PM is a sissy. You have a nice night.

What the fuck is his problem? What's that about Baghdad being safer than D.C.? Calling the PM a "sissy". OK fuggit back to ladies curling...
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 3:42 pm

henry rollins is Xtreme.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 4:53 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

greg's a bit catatonic but he's the only genius of the three. plus he's a nice dude.

Ginn is one of the most incredible dude's dudes I've ever met. No comment on the other two, but at least Rollins is doing something for the troops despite his opposition to the war. He's a hardcore lefty, and I never understand why he gets a rap for being a right winger all the time.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 4:55 pm

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
Henry's contibution to Black Flag is debatable, they were better before he joined, but to deny the musical greatness of Ginn or Watt is criminal.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 10:03 pm

this is a very stupid world
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 11:41 pm

let me re-phrase that....
they do not appeal to my [female] sensibility. i think their appeal is stronger amongst men.

the first impression they make on me is that i want to stay away - so much so that i can't really listen to what they have to say, therefore, whatever they say is lost on me. i have had personal interactioin with both rollins and watt. they were perfectly nice and easy to deal w/ one on one - but so is al gore - and nobody seems to like him either
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 2:21 am

Fair enough. The female to male ratio at hardcore shows back in the early 80's was about 30 to 1. Although I always thought of the Minutemen as being pretty "touchy-feely" for the hc scene.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 1:41 pm

i always thought of the minutemen as a prog rock band.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 5:48 pm

'Highlights' from the Washington Post article "Punk rocker Rollins yearns to be modern-day Mark Twain":

"It would be great to finish out as a low-budget Mark Twain," Rollins said about the trajectory of his career, referring to the 19th century American author noted for his wit. "People just liked to hear him speak on stuff."

"What makes me mad, now? What do I lose sleep over? Iraq, Katrina, Dubai Ports deals," he said. But he also loathes his own "failures, shortcomings, shallowness, self-interest -- and all that groovy adult (stuff)."

But Rollins' main focus is America, and he cited Twain as somebody he admired because they share a love of the United States and a willingness to speak up about the country.

"I'm not trying to be Mr. Patriot, but America fascinates me," Rollins said. "I've been across it, up and down it, and shaken more hands than any president."

The IFC program's format has been changed since the last season. Like last year, when it was titled "Henry's Film Corner," Rollins will interview movie makers, actors and actresses.

But this year, Rollins has added segments like "Teeing Off" in which he speaks his mind on pop culture and politics, and IFC boosted the frequency to one new show a week from one a month last year.

"I never thought I was right for TV or that TV was right for me. I'm outspoken," he said. "I come from the punk rock thing where you do what you want and if anyone doesn't like it, they know where the exit door is."
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 6:15 pm

whatever...his radio show is pretty fucking cool.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Rollins comparing himself to Twain. Wow.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 6:33 pm

Never the Twain shall meat.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 7:53 pm

saturday night threat is more like it. he made me fall asleep early last weekend. what a fucking bore. except when he's making fun of mike watt.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®